Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

13 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Hokay... so you do believe that Sam is better than Lawrence, and what, at least as good as Burrow?  That was me testing the wind in the thread, and now I realize now that it's gotten really fanciful.

BTW, Trevor Lawrence played as a rookie.  Sam is not a rookie, this is his second year.  What did Trevor Lawrence do in his second year?  And me introducing the argument about Josh Dobbs was a reductio ad absurdum, not an indication that I love Josh Dobbs.  It was to demonstrate how specious your logic was, showing that if you followed it to it's conclusion, you get to awful takes like "Josh Dobbs must be greater than any college prospect."

You are saying Sam is not a rookie since it is his 2nd year. How many reps did Sam have every week with the first teammates last year? You know the answer to that question. 

Trevor played 17 games his rookie year and had 12 TDs to 17 INTs. Sam played only 1 game his rookie year with 1 TD to 1 INT. Let's compare Sam to Trevor in their 2nd year then. Trevor last year through the first 9 games had 11TDs to 6 INTs. Sam has 14 TDs to 9 INTs this year aka his 2nd year. Similar performance perhaps except Trevor played 16 more games then Sam did and had actual on the field experience prior to his 2nd year as a starter. Let's compare notes once the season ends and see how well or not Sam does at the conclusion of his 2nd year then. 

As for Burrow, he had 20 TDs to 11 INTs through the first 9 games of his 2nd year. Burrow only played 10 games his rookie year though.

But, there is one huge fact that you are overlooking is that Burrow was on a SB team and Trevor was on a playoff team in their sophomore year. Sam is not.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Yep. If he's that good it is....like can't miss stud. 

There’s no such thing as a can’t miss prospect.

That said, I agree, if we need to move up a few spots to get a tackle, it might be possible.  And we should do it.  We need better players at key spots, not more players at all spots.  

If it’s 5+ spots to the top 5, it’s going to cost an additional first and that’s probably too rich….

• Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 4:38 PM, KillBill26 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see maye have more success in the NFL than Caleb.  And Id rather have Howell + high first round pick at another position, than draft maye/Caleb and flip Howell for picks that aren't going to match his worth.

What about franchise QB "hit" on 5 year cost controlled contract, vs 2 years left on cheap deal? 

If Howell is it, I'm fine with Howell, but I think this is speculative more than certain, and I'd rather double down on QB, trade one if both hit. We'll know more in 2 months though. 

38 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

What about franchise QB "hit" on 5 year cost controlled contract, vs 2 years left on cheap deal? 

If Howell is it, I'm fine with Howell, but I think this is speculative more than certain, and I'd rather double down on QB, trade one if both hit. We'll know more in 2 months though. 

We don’t have a shot a Caleb or Drake.  To me, those are the only two QB’s that are as close to can’t miss prospects as there are in the upcoming NFL draft.  There’s no other QB I’d draft after those two, if Howell finishes the year as a clearly defined starting QB, or even a top 10-15 QB numbers wise.  Penix, Nix, McCarthy and the other potential 1st Round QB’s aren’t going to be as good as Howell is right now.  In the case of Penix Jr. and Nix, they are already coming in older than Howell is right now.

I think our best course of action this offseason is to draft OL and/or TE early and often, and surround Howell with a capable line, so that he can excel even further moving forward.  We’re not going to be in line for Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, so we aren’t going to be able to draft any franchise level QB’s as good as those two are.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

It looks like we may not be even picking top 10. We will be lucky to get one of the top two OT. Forget about the Qb. 

Is it worth trading up for the top OT?

If we are picking outside the top 10 I would say we have no chance of getting the top two OTs. But there are another couple of very good OTs that will probably go top 20 picks.

They are more RT than LT though. But we need a RT badly! I wouldn’t trade up - we have lots of needs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Valid point, years 3-5 would be cheaper, although we would save money with Howell year 1 (1 mil vs 10 mil cap hits), and possibly year 2, but I hope theyd have howell locked up by then, which would come with a higher cap hit.

While the savings on years 3-5 are an advantage, you are also replacing someone who has proven can be successful, with an unknown. With our QB drought, I want to lock Howell up and know we have our franchise QB for the next decade plus.  I'm far from sold on Caleb, and maye is not a lock either.

All things considered, I hope they proceed with sam being viewed as the long term QB this off-season.

Seriously, at this stage of Howell's career just go all in on O-line and give Howell all the protection you can possibly give him. Whether it's free agency or the draft. or likely both, get offensive linemen. Fill in the rest as you go but protect him first and foremost.

• Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Incredible experience for Howell to generate game tying drives in Seattle and against Philly.

The fumble was a bummer, but that final drive was nice. 

I’m a believer.

The fumble was another mistake Howell will learn from and get better. It's a shame that the young QB seems to run harder than anyone else. Everyone else was just standing around watching him drag 2 Seahawks. If we had players helping him we could have recovered the fumble.

The team needs a complete overhaul. But, we have our QB. In a much better position than most teams. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1