Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

3 minutes ago, mojo said:

The guy was the last pick in the draft..he ain’t Justin Herbert. It’s coaching and having an O line.

Purdy among starters is top 10 in PFF's adjusted accuracy rating -- their metric as for accuracy, throwing a catchable ball.  Heinicke is around the bottom in that category -- and if people want to question PFF, there was another outfit that charted Heinicke's as one of the most inaccurate QBs in the league among starters and backups -- if I recall it was Next. Gen Stats. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just as a reminder the Cowboys owned Taylor.    

Edited: 0-2 career starting against Dallas getting outscored 83-34, with less points scored against them in each game played level owned (20 down to 14).

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

Rivera is going to be our coach next year. Dan isn't firing him with what's all going on. Rivera has another year to show the new owner he's the guy. With Howell you have to start him next year. Fix the o-line, resign Payne. Heinicke has mobility and won us games with his knowledge of Scott Turner's system  even though with his lack of arm talent. Howell has a great deep ball and arm strength and mobility. He just needs another offseason with this system and first team reps. I believe Howell is a perfect fit for Scott Turner's offense. If Ron fires Scott then you get a new OC that Howell would have to learn and if Rivera gets fired after next year with the new owner then Howell will have to learn another offensive system. That's setup for failure. Keep the staff and let Howell succeed which I believe he will.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, HogsVa7 said:

Rivera gets fired after next year with the new owner then Howell will have to learn another offensive system. That's setup for failure. Keep the staff and let Howell succeed which I believe he will.

What new HC is going to want to keep the coordinators from a previous regime?

2 minutes ago, mojo said:

The guy was the last pick in the draft..he ain’t Justin Herbert. It’s coaching and having an O line.

How does being the last pick in the draft invalidate the things that I said about his skillset compared to Heinicke’s? Nevermind the fact that even using that poor logic, Heinicke was an UDFA. But that’s not how it works, anyways. It’s not just coaching and OL when the actual, individual throws you can isolate between the two guys are vastly different due to arm talent and accuracy. You’re in denial. It doesn’t take Justin Herbert to leave Heinicke in the dust, arm talent wise and ball placement wise. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

What new HC is going to want to keep the coordinators from a previous regime?

What I was saying is keep the staff for next year. It might have came out wrong but what I was trying to say if Rivera gets fired now then Howell has to learn another system. If Rivera fires Scott then Howell as to learn a new system.  If Rivera gets fired after next year then Howell has to learn another system. 

Edited by HogsVa7

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

0-3 career starting against Dallas getting outscored 108-44, with less points scored against them in each game played level owned (20, down to 14, down to 10).

Heinicke started three times against Dallas?  I must be missing one.  Twice in 2021.  What was the other one?

1 hour ago, dunfer said:

taylor's biggest hurdle to staying on as the back up is his last name has 3 syllables, so its easy to chant because the remaining ****-faced fans already learned RG3 years ago. Solid backup...just cant have the drunk fans chanting.

The one stat that stood out for me with TH is his 98 yards rushing . He did not run the ball at all compared to last year where he kept so many drives alive with his legs with 300 yards on the ground..  Whether you attribute it to the line or maybe he wanted to be more of a pocket passer his legs were a great weapon last season that wasn't utilized this year..

18 minutes ago, mojo said:

Purdy is no world beater, but just in the game against us alone - it was abundantly clear that his arm talent is superior to Heinicke.

Heinicke rarely, and I do mean rarely, hits a guy in stride.  Our pass catchers regularly have to stop, come back, twist and contort, and at times make god-like maneuvers to catch what Heinicke is throwing. 

…and those are the receptions I’m talking about, for a guy who only completes 60% of his passes to begin with.

He simply doesn’t have the ability to place the ball in the spots it needs to be placed.  He also outright refuses to run in lieu of making inaccurate passes.  

Your comments read like you just see the highlights of his games as opposed to the full body of work.

• Like 3

I saw a few people saying get a rookie, a veteran, and keep Howell. I'm on board except for the rookie. Next year is a holding pattern until new ownership gets in. No point in wasting a draft pick on a late round QB who might not survive a coaching/FO change. Ron doesn't have any real advantage to bringing in a rookie either, his job hinges on winning now or showing excellent development in Sam's future to make him important. Put that time into Sam and the vet and let the third stringer be a nobody.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I saw a few people saying get a rookie, a veteran, and keep Howell. I'm on board except for the rookie. Next year is a holding pattern until new ownership gets in. No point in wasting a draft pick on a late round QB who might not survive a coaching/FO change. Ron doesn't have any real advantage to bringing in a rookie either. Put that time into Sam and the vet and let the third stringer be a nobody.

I mean. If there's a QB you really like you take him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

The only way Ron stays is if Howell is developing and gets us into the playoffs. Otherwise it’s time to go after year 4. I doubt Dan agrees to a big QB signing. I expect them to announce the sale in beginning of February prior to Super Bowl week and an approval in late March. In that scenario Ron is not going to be allowed to make massive moves. 

I’m down with that plan. Put Sam out there and make him throw it 35+ times in every game. If he looks like a franchise quarterback by the end of the year, keep Ron and let’s roll. If not, we’ll have another “fresh new start” thread.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

If all our coaches are retained I could see heinicke back here as a backup, not that I want it to happen but I could see it happening. 

If he doesn't sign with us I could also see him out of the league completely. 

Who's going to want to bring in a 30 year old noodle armed quarterback who doesn't use his legs and teach him a completely new system?

Wouldn't you rather bring in a young guy with tools and potential?

Another thing people may have forgotten since RG3's rookie year is how much the RPO can help in the running game too.  There was a play today that was classic Robert to Morris where Howell's threat to keep it freezes the defense and by the time they commit to pursing Howell, the RB is up the middle 5 yards downfield.  I would expect to see a lot of running out of that formation next season too.  

• Like 3

We dont need to waste a roster spot on heinicke imo, draft another guy this draft no reason not to, perfectly fine to run it with two young qbs imo, sure it’s not the kosher thing to do but who cares what we’ve done so far hasn’t worked try something new

53 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Turners offense is garbage, it shouldn't be taught to anyone.

His playbook should get locked with a cursed skeleton key and dropped in a bayou somewhere...

But is Turner really gone after this year? With the potential sale of the team? I am counting that into my config. 

6 minutes ago, zCommander said:

But is Turner really gone after this year? With the potential sale of the team? I am counting that into my config. 

I could see Rivera using him as a scapegoat and getting rid of him. Although it wouldn't really be a scapegoat because he legitimately deserves to be fired. He is bad at his job.

• Thumb up 1

I was only randomly watching Chris Paul at left guard but I was mostly impressed when I did, in the run game in particular he showed some people mover ability.  But I'll wait to rewatch the game again before deciding.

K. Hudson had a good game judging by him getting the game ball, I don't know how much if at all he was playing big nickel but in this game we weren't lost for a change without Curl.  And Hudson played some big nickel in Michigan.  Wonder if he develops into being a good depth player.  He played like a missle as to being a ball of energy in Michigan's defense -- they labeled his role, the Viper role, sort of a do everthing role.  Del Rio touted that Curl is so valuable because he performs 5 plus roles in a given game. 

Maybe Hudson is the right backup for that?  I know he's been slow developing but it takes some players time, especially at LB. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Man...folks in here ready for ownership to can the whole coaching staff and front office and you asking about Scott Turners safety?

I hear the possibility Ron's loyalty is unbreakable, but that doesn't make Taylor the best QB to mentor Sam into the offense.  His favorite player is Brett Favre and he acts like it when he plays, plus we keep having to scale back Turners offense when Taylor plays.

QB coach's job to develop and teach the offense to Sam anyway, don't care what Taylor's input could be.

We again would have bigger problems if something happens to our starting QB then how well they know the offense, am so tired of that "Taylor's knowledge of the offense" being a reason to keep him around.  Again, the offense clearly sucks anyway.

It's nearly impossible to make the case that someone like Jacoby coming in the QB room complete green to Turners offense wouldn't still be better come Week 1 then Taylor and all his experience in it.  

Turner should go, the noise for his removal is growing.  Now is the time with chance to clear out QB room and whole most of the young stars on offense are still in their early or mid 20s.  But even if we arrogantly don't, that shouldn't be the reason to bring Taylor back.

Like damn, there's no other journeyman QBs out there that got to play in Turners "offense" to help alleviate this concern?

Edited by Renegade7

24 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It's nearly impossible to make the case that someone like Jacoby coming in the QB room complete green to Turners offense wouldn't still be better come Week 1 then Taylor and all his experience in it. 

I don't think knowledge of the playbook is much of a positive when looking at TH.

His arm is not good enough to run a swath of the playbook.

Whenever he plays the goal is to run the ball 40 times so its not like we are running a bunch of pass plays anyway.

How much knowledge of the playbook would an actual NFL QB need to have the realized effectiveness of TH's knowledge? I don't think its a lot.

When he limits the playbook from the jump and you actively try to throw the ball as few times as possible. Who cares how much he knows, you don't even use it.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thumb up 1