Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Me too. He needs to go into the season as QB1. I am okay with some kind of competition in the form of a Brissett type, but otherwise I'd stand pat at QB unless something phenomenal falls in our lap. 

Not directed at you - just a launching point - 

I agree 100% but before the avalanche of - he is not the good crap comes raining down - going into next year with Howell QB1 does not mean anyone is convinced he is a total stud and the next top level NFL starter. For me the reasons you go with Howell are: 

1. Sam played well enough to be given a chance. I would say this for most any team needing a QB. Maybe bring in some veteran competition with the plan that they ultimately are the backup to Sam, but Sam played well eough to be given every opportunity to earn the role. 

2. Unless they make the sale quickly this iwll be a lame duck year for Ron and Co. We should not want Ron spending  a lot of resources and leaving the next regime stuck with a QB they may not want and no resources to get who they do. 

I liked the game yesterday. It did not seem to big for him. He had one really bad decision - the pick. But he was also a Jahan Dotson catch of a breadbasket pass from over 200 yds and 63% comp to go with his passing TD and rushing TD and several 1st downs with his feet. 

I know kdawg was leading the charge for Sam but many of us wanted him after the Giants tie and every game after including people like @Skinsinparadise and @BatteredFanSyndrome among others. I wisdh they had done it then but they didn't. So here we are.  

I hope he gets his chance and does not get chewed up in the disaster that is a Dan Snyder organization. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think you can do it with a loaded roster.  And I know you and I are higher on this roster than most.  49ers are loaded.

I was listening to a 49ers beat guy who covers national football too and he's was high on this roster saying he feels they are a year or so away to building a 49ers level roster. 

O line obviously needs a major fix.  You do that and have an average QB, replace the O coordinator, and I think we are going places.

Agreed. Be nice to have a Fred Warner type in the middle of the Defense and could use another pass rushing LBer, but the D is good enough.

Fix the Oline and average QB play and we have a legit team.

Howell has an absolute canon with touch, which we say yesterday. Terry "it's like he walked it down there for me".

With the burners we have at wideout and his arm, you can't crowd the box against Howell, like you can Heini and he has a lot more poise than Wentz any more, so you can't just blitz him.

• Like 2

This is coming from a dude who used to believe you need great-elite QB.  And don't get me wrong, I'd still love to find that guy.

But if anything this seems to be the season where the tide seems to be turning back old school some.

A. Running game and defenses seem to matter more.

B.  We see teams wtih strong rosters but with decent not great QBs winning.  Heck I watched a Jared Goff led team beat GB yesterday and the season before a Jimmy G led team beat GB as well.   The best QBs in the NFC playoffs right now are arguably Hurts and Kirk and Dak.   

C.  I agree if we were in the NFC dealing with Mahomes and J. Allen, it would feel tougher.

But if anything I think the trend based on this season is build a killer roster and just average to good QB play might be enough.  Granted that could be just an NFC thing but that's the playground we are playing in

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Agreed. Be nice to have a Fred Warner type in the middle of the Defense and could use another pass rushing LBer, but the D is good enough.

Howell has an absolute canon with touch, which we say yesterday. Terry "it's like he walked it down there for me".

With the burners we have at wideout and his arm, you can't crowd the box against Howell, like you can Heini and he has a lot more poise than Wentz any more, so you can't just blitz him.

Yeah the SF 49ers reporter thought the difference in the defense would be changed if you add a great LB and maybe a better CB.    He was lamenting the SF 49ers interior as the 49ers weakness

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I hope he gets his chance and does not get chewed up in the disaster that is a Dan Snyder organization. 

Yep.  A Dan led organization is going to suck no matter what the context.  I am on pins and needles as many others are here to see what happens next with him.  Everything is way way below that clearly.

New quarterback? Probably. New owner? Hopefully.

Image without a caption
Perspective by Barry Svrluga

Imagine this world, which would have seemed fantastical when the season began but may be reality as the season ends: The next time the Washington Commanders play a football game, the owner may be someone other than Daniel M. Snyder. Hallelujah. Hallelujah. Hal-le-lu-jah.

The 2022 season ended Sunday with a 26-6 victory over the Dallas Cowboys, leaving the Commanders as the only team from the NFC East that will not advance to the playoffs. The questions about how this team will operate in 2023 are legion, and they include some of the most important that can face an NFL team that follows a letdown of a season into an important offseason: Who will be the quarterback? Who will call the plays?

“Who will own the team?” trumps them all.

“Sitting back and looking at the big picture of it all,” said quarterback and cult hero Taylor Heinicke, who returned to a backup role Sunday, “obviously if there is a new owner, maybe there’s going to be some moving parts. It’s going to be a pretty interesting offseason.”

...But the issue that has dogged the on-field product during the entirety of Snyder’s ownership — the revolving door at quarterback — seems minuscule when cast against the possibility of Snyder’s departure. It’s hard to overstate how his presence has defined and strangled the franchise in so many ways — even when his mere presence or absence is a state secret. When a team spokesperson was asked whether Snyder attended Sunday’s season finale, the official response was, “No comment.” (Snyder’s wife, co-CEO Tanya, was there, but a person with knowledge of the situation told The Washington Post’s Nicki Jhabvala that he was not.)

Heck, even the heels-dug-in adversaries of Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) voted “present” during the fiasco of a process to elect a new speaker. Apparently, such an acknowledgment for Snyder is a bridge too far. Landover? London? Who’s to say?

It has been exactly this, somewhere between absurd and abhorrent, for so long. The results are tangible and meaningful. Even at a FedEx Field that has had blocks of seats taken out over the years, the Commanders finished the season with the lowest average attendance and the lowest percent of capacity in the league. Forget what percentage of fans show up to urge on the opponent. That’s a damaged product.

So the possibility of regime change is absolutely tantalizing.

“That stuff is a little bit over our heads,” McLaurin said. “… I’m excited for what the future holds no matter what it looks like from coaching, ownership — or whatever.”

From a player’s perspective, that’s fine. But this is the most meaningful offseason since Snyder took over in 1999. And still, it’s healthy to hang on to some measure of pessimism that a sale will be completed. Yes, Snyder stands to make maybe $6 billion or $7 billion on an $800 million investment, and life out of the spotlight has to be more appealing than life in it. But until the ink is dry, raise an eyebrow. It’s the safest way to self-preservation and sanity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/08/daniel-snyder-commanders-sale/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I saw some things that got me excited:

1. throws a nice deep ball

2. had a decent pocket presence, especially given the Dallas pass rush

3. he's a good runner who can take a hit.

4. his teammates played hard for him, even with nothing to gain.

5. showed pretty good accuracy for the most part.

Stats-wise, he had a Heinicke-like game.

But actually watching him, you see the difference between the two. All the stuff you mentioned is spot-on. That deep pass to Mclaurin traveled 60 yards in the air and was a dime...Terry didn't slow down, speed up, contort his body...nothing. just kept running, and it hit him in stride. He showed in the preseason that he had a really nice deep ball, loved seeing it in a real game against real NFL defenders. Just gonna get better. And he had surprisingly perfect ball placement on the much shorter throws...guess I'm used to Heinicke throwing behind WRs 5 yards past the LOS and Wentz throwing over their heads lol...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Everyone involved with picking next year's quarterback will be gone in 2024 so long as Dan actually sells the team. Howell has a good arm; his long pass to McLaurin was a thing of beauty. Just play the guy for a year, get some film, and don't do anything stupid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pghvlaans said:

Everyone involved with picking next year's quarterback will be gone in 2024 so long as Dan actually sells the team. Howell has a good arm; his long pass to McLaurin was a thing of beauty. Just play the guy for a year, get some film, and don't do anything stupid.

Agreed. And let's not forget the perfect pass he threw to Dotson that was dropped - poor Jahan, not used to the ball right in his hands. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

to add a little from Standig who is cynical typically

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.42.13 AM.png

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Chris 44 said:

Weren't we like 56 out of 32 teams last year in 3rd down %?   Quite a turnaround.

Yeah we were awful the seasin before on third down.

This IMO is the best defense since Gregg Williams' defenses.  Reminds me in one sense of Gregg's defense in that after a great season, they fall apart the season after and then bounced back.  Same thing with this defense thus far.

This roster IMO is good.  O line is the all hands on deck spot to fix.

Some like to go well they need depth in this spot or that spot or could use upgrades here and there.  I agree but that's not unique to this team, every team including SB teams don't have studs at every spot and in the salartycap era every team has depth weaknesses at some spots.  I think though we can address enough of it in the off season.

Almost perfect summary for me

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Well you can thank Turner for that. The constant run, run, pass plays will do that. They got Wentz to stretch the field but let's not do that with Howell lol

But wait, didn't everyone want to let Howell start slow and run a TH type offense and stay committed to the run? That's all I heard for weeks is that Scott T was not committed enough to the run and then when he did . Then the last game of the season with a rookie QB and a lead the entire game, he ran too much for people's liking? 

C'mon let's at least be consistent - oh wait I forgot where i was. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This IMO is the best defense since Gregg Williams' defenses.  Reminds me in one sense of Gregg's defense in that after a great season, they fall apart the season after and then bounced back.  Same thing with this defense thus far.

Some like to go well they need depth in this spot or that spot or could use upgrades here and there.  I agree but that's not unique to this team, every team including SB teams don't have studs at every spot and in the salartycap era every team has depth weaknesses at some spots.  I think though we can address enough of it in the off season.

I don't know that I move on from McCain, but maybe.

Restructure Roullier. He was really good before the injury bug bit him.

The rest I agree with and maybe even all of it.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I don't know that I move on from McCain, but maybe.

Restructure Roullier. He was really good before the injury bug bit him.

The rest I agree with and maybe even all of it.

Agree.

McCain is my pause, I think he's fine.  Played well in the slot.  

Also cutting Rouillier doesn't give you much cap room if I recall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

But wait, didn't everyone want to let Howell start slow and run a TH type offense and stay committed to the run? That's all I heard for weeks is that Scott T was not committed enough to the run and then when he did . Then the last game of the season with a rookie QB and a lead the entire game, he ran too much for people's liking? 

Nuance.

Run, Run, Pass every set of downs is the issue. Toss plays on 3rd and 1. Lack of play action. 

It's not as simple as you're making it seem.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Let’s make this Josh Taylor the GM.  I like it.  Dalton is the guy I’d pair with Howell if we can get him in the 3-5M range.  (He was 3 this year).

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Okay let's not confuse me with what some had said to what I didn't even say. I am not part of the everyone bucket!

I never said to run the damn ball. I wanted to see Howell's throwing and accuracy ability instead. You run the ball if you are trying to win a game. This game we didn't have to do that or to see how our run game is/was stupid to begin with. Not saying you don't run the ball you do but run, run pass constantly was stupid. Moreover, with a potential starting QB for next year you need to see the passing game from him instead. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 1