Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Howell IMO much better mobility than both Wentz and Taylor. More accurate than them. Way stronger arm than Taylor and as strong as Carson.

Rookie QBs are wildcards of course, Can they read an NFL defense, set protections, etc? 

But if any of these QBs can handle a porous O line it might be Howell considering he’s used to it friom college and provides a run threat that the other QBs don’t 

The thing is, whoever ends up buying the team will decide where this team goes.

Wentz has to be cut, maybe keep Heinicke as a back-up, but the big picture is getting a competent coaching staff in here, especially a good QB coach. 

O-line needs a major overhaul, and a good DC who doesn't call soft zone on 75% of the downs.

This alone would make a tremendous improvement in the entire organization; winning and a winning attitude would do wonders.

• Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, method man said:

I disagree. He’s a 5th round pick. I don’t think most are expecting much from him. Poor guy will have Scott Turner calling plays for him

I hope so. I like Howell's tools, but he will likely need more time to develop. We will need some patience. 

I fully expect Howell to start, Heinicke to be the backup and Wentz to be sealed in Carbonite until he's cut.

The only even minutely possible reason I can come up with for Rivera to make the decision to start anyone but Howell is...

That if Howell lights Dallas up, and we score 30 plus, win the game and look great offensively while doing so, the obvious post-game question for Rivera will be---

"Why the hell didn't you play Howell earlier in the season?"

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

The thing is, whoever ends up buying the team will decide where this team goes.

Wentz has to be cut, maybe keep Heinicke as a back-up, but the big picture is getting a competent coaching staff in here, especially a good QB coach. 

O-line needs a major overhaul, and a good DC who doesn't call soft zone on 75% of the downs.

This alone would make a tremendous improvement in the entire organization; winning and a winning attitude would do wonders.

Sure but we have no idea how quick the sale happens so that whole process is a wildcard right now. IMO it’s possible that the status quo operation will be making this call 

Listening to Finlays podcast now. They all think Howell should start 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

33 minutes ago, zCommander said:

This is what needs to happen next week:

-Howell starts

-Taylor is the backup

-Wentz is benched to avoid any injury settlements. 

Any other option would be futile. 

It would he kind of funny if Howell starts against Dallas and throws for 300+ yards and 3 TD's.  Fans here will go nuts wondering what would have been if he started earlier this year.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

...the obvious post-game question for Rivera will be--- why the hell didn't you play Howell earlier in the season?

He's covered. Howell is a rookie and no one expects another Brady story.

If he lights it up that would actually be a good problem here for once.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Csup said:

It would he kind of funny if Howell starts against Dallas and throws for 300+ yards and 3 TD's.  Fans here will go nuts wondering what would have been if he started earlier this year.  

I will be happy and won't even hesitate to support him for next year as our starter.....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, method man said:

I disagree. He’s a 5th round pick. I don’t think most are expecting much from him. Poor guy will have Scott Turner calling plays for him

Do you really think he will be worse than Purdy?

5 minutes ago, Csup said:

Or good thing they waited to actually develop a rookie before throwing him to the fire without correcting his footwork. 

4 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

That's not my perspective. We are nothing like Buffalo or Pittsburgh or Green Bay when it comes to patience and staying loyal to players while they develop. Our players have had an adversarial attitude towards the fanbase for over a decade. Whether we deserve to be so cynical is another topic. My point is that it will be an uphill battle to change this dynamic.

Well in the case of Buffalo, their fan base' patience was tested a ton after Jim Kelly left and they went through a ton of QBs. With Pittsburgh Big Ben lead them to 15 wins his rookie year and they were set. GB has been set at QB since '92 you can win drinks easily vs them if you ask them to name their QB before Brett Favre and 65% won't know Don Majowski. I literally ran into a Packer fan last night, who'd been to lambaugh field and didn't know "Bang on the Drum all day" was their touchdown song...

With us we haven't had that set it and forget it QB since probably Theismann. We got teased with Rypien saw the potential but it didn't last. Brad Johnson teased us but he was 2 n done, Brunell too, of course Rg3 and we gave up on Cousins...

So of course the majority of those teams listed are patient because their QB play as been good and consistent..

Just now, zCommander said:

I am more interested in his skill set rather winning a game. 

I get that and agree. My point was that Purdy has set the bar high for QB's not drafted high. If Howell doesn't play well, I don't want the fans and press turning on him after one game.

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I get that and agree. My point was that Purdy has set the bar high for QB's not drafted high. If Howell doesn't play well, I don't want the fans and press turning on him after one game.

The person I was responding to said he was a 5th round pick and Turner is the OC. So that to me is all irrelevant when you are trying to see his mechanics. I know one game is not going to give you everything but at least it will show you if he has football smarts as footwork and stuff can be worked on in the offseason. IF he does really well or flashes that can also show them if they need to get yet another vet on the decline or not. 

39 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Well in the case of Buffalo, their fan base' patience was tested a ton after Jim Kelly left and they went through a ton of QBs. With Pittsburgh Big Ben lead them to 15 wins his rookie year and they were set. GB has been set at QB since '92 you can win drinks easily vs them if you ask them to name their QB before Brett Favre and 65% won't know Don Majowski. I literally ran into a Packer fan last night, who'd been to lambaugh field and didn't know "Bang on the Drum all day" was their touchdown song...

With us we haven't had that set it and forget it QB since probably Theismann. We got teased with Rypien saw the potential but it didn't last. Brad Johnson teased us but he was 2 n done, Brunell too, of course Rg3 and we gave up on Cousins...

So of course the majority of those teams listed are patient because their QB play as been good and consistent..

Yeah I don't debate the reasoning behind our cynicism. It's grown on me as well. Simply acknowledging the uphill battle to change things. 

30 minutes ago, zCommander said:

I am more interested in his skill set rather winning a game. 

If Kyle could make Griffin look like a savior for a season before people caught on, I'd say coaching matters more then you willing to give credit for in Purdy's situation.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Do you really think he will be worse than Purdy?

Or good thing they waited to actually develop a rookie before throwing him to the fire without correcting his footwork. 

I am rooting for him and hope he can kill it. My point is on what the common fan’s expectations are for him. He doesn't have first round expectations like Haskins

It hurts to see the 49ers excelling with Mr. Irrelevant playing out of his mind.  A good buddy of mine is a 49ers fan and he said it's insane that BCB (Big **** Brock, he calls him) has allowed Kyle to open up his playbook in ways he wasn't able to before.  Says that Purdy's arm isn't anything special but he believes BCB is for real.  BCB also notched his first 4th quarter comeback victory in a shootout over the Raiders today.

Meanwhile, we're sitting here bounced out of the playoffs and wondering if Ron has the smarts to do what everyone thinks is a "no ****, Sherlock" situation which is to start Sam Howell in the last game of the season.

You can say what you want about Kyle, plenty of people have.  But his team just vaulted the Vikings for the No 2. spot in the playoffs.  He's reeling off wins with the last pick in the draft, a guy who's skill set might mirror Heinicke's.  And we're twiddling our thumbs with Ron, Turner and wondering if we'll get to see Howell next weekend.  

It would be ****ing unbelievable if it weren't so believable.  It's so Commander-esque.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well, I know why Carson Wentz gets so much hate from former players, owners, fans, etc. Its because he sucks. Not just a Phillip Rivers kind of suck, I'm talking about 300 pound plus JaMarcus Russell level of suck. Its easier to just be mean to him, tell lies about him behind his back than it is to look him in his dead, troll doll looking eyes and tell him he sucks slimy, slug balls. I didn't see the post game presser, but everyone said he seemed unphased at crushing our playoff chances out like a cigarette under someone's boot with his trash play. I can't believe he has the locker room or ever did, I doubt Rivera has the locker room at this point.

6 minutes ago, method man said:

I am rooting for him and hope he can kill it. My point is on what the common fan’s expectations are for him. He doesn't have first round expectations like Haskins

I only have one expectation. None. This is why he should start next week so we can see what he can do even in Turner's offense. The OL might be bad but at least Howell has experience playing behind a bad OL in college. 

Just now, zCommander said:

I only have one expectation. None. This is why he should start next week so we can see what he can do even in Turner's offense. The OL might be bad but at least Howell has experience playing behind a bad OL in college. 

Not worries about him getting hit. I saw a lot of UNC last year and he got pounded. He has the build of a running back for taking a beating if that were to happen

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You can say what you want about Kyle, plenty of people have.  But his team just vaulted the Vikings for the No 2. spot in the playoffs.  He's reeling off wins with the last pick in the draft, a guy who's skill set might mirror Heinicke's.  And we're twiddling our thumbs with Ron, Turner and wondering if we'll get to see Howell next weekend.  

well the difference beyond the QB is that Kyle is a great coach with a terrific offensive mind that knows how to confuse defenses, attack weaknesses and play to his players strengths while Rivera coaches like its 1993 annddd that’s about it. Their roster is also stacked and far superior to Washingtons

• Like 1