Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

The swap of second round picks only moves us down from #42 to #47... not much impact there.

So basically it's a 3rd this year, a 2nd in 2023 (hopefully, because if he doesn't play 70% of snaps that either means he got hurt or he sucked balls), and some money that we aren't hurting for.  And if he does suck we can bail with no cap effect on 2023 or beyond.

All in all, not the worst outcome here.  Don't love giving up the #2 and #3 picks, but to those who are saying that Indy was going to cut him anyway, that may be (but probably isn't) true, and we know there are several other teams that are just as QB-starved as we are that may have upped the offer.

• Like 2

I’m actually pleasantly surprised with the Wentz acquisition when you consider the cost and such.

He seems to have a tough personality, which stinks. But play wise he’s better than what we have. He’s a good on field QB that crapped the bed when Indy needed him. But I like him better as a player than many.

I don’t know if he has any real strikes against him. I haven’t looked into him. Does he carry major issues or is he just kind of a prick?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

How do you know he was going to get cut? How do you know there were literally no other teams trying to get him?

What's your job title in the Colts' front office?

It was widely reported that he would be either cut or traded.

Usually guys in the position don't require a lot to jar loose, if they are traded at all.

Reading the narrative with the Colts.  The first half of the season Wentz was killing it.  Colts had a stretch where they were rolling after a slow start.  It went south from what I read on COVID related issues -- Wentz wasn't vaccinated, got COVID, team was pissed, then they hit a bad skid to end the season.  And the owner and FO were really upset about it.

The last game for the Colts, feels a lot like the Kirk game against the Giants that seemed to seal his fate.  That's the gist of my takeaway of what happened. 

• Like 2

Just now, FootballZombie said:

It was widely reported that he would be either cut or traded.

Usually guys in the position don't require a lot to jar loose, if they are traded at all.

That’s true, but we also don’t know who they were competing against.  There is a limited amount of available veteran QB’s. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Should work well.  Scott's system like his father's is about using the run game to crowd the box to set up big plays with the deep ball.  Wentz is the best deep ball thrower/gun of an arm we've had since RG3.  

I’m gonna write this on a notecard and carry it in my back pocket for easy reference. 

I am concerned that all the mental gains I’ve made over the last six months are now gone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I’m actually pleasantly surprised with the Wentz acquisition when you consider the cost and such.

He seems to have a tough personality, which stinks. But play wise he’s better than what we have. He’s a good on field QB that crapped the bed when Indy needed him. But I like him better as a player than many.

I don’t know if he has any real strikes against him. I haven’t looked into him. Does he carry major issues or is he just kind of a prick?

They have the in-season Hard Knocks with the Colts on HBO Max. I never watched it but now I have a reason. I'm sure it will get into his personality.

• Like 2

After yesterday's complete debacle and the rumors that Trubiskey (of all people) might prefer a qb competition with the Giants, to the certainty of starting for dirty Dan Snyder's team, I think this was the best of a diminishing universe of very ****ty options.

Hopefully, Wentz realizes that this is his last best shot to be a starting qb and he is reborn samurai.

If however Wentz tank commands us to a complete collapse there's the Bryce Young sweepstakes to look forward to.

--shrug--

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Hate the value we gave up on the trade.  Well, it looks like no qb for sure in the first.  I wonder where we go now?  

I think the value proposition is great. We get a QB that's certainly better than the other available options (Jimmy G, Trubisky, Mariota, Winston), and you basically get a 1 year trial. If he doesn't perform or becomes a head case, you can cut him after this year for zero dead cap. If he performs well, you get a starting caliber QB for below market rate. That seems worth 2 third round picks.

Also, I presume the team will also draft a QB to develop this year. I don't see Wentz as a long term answer.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Reading the narrative with the Colts.  The first half of the season Wentz was killing it.  Colts had a stretch where they were rolling after a slow start.  It went south from what I read on COVID related issues -- Wentz wasn't vaccinated, got COVID, team was pissed, then they hit a bad skid to end the season.  And the owner and FO were really upset about it.

The last game for the Colts, feels a lot like the Kirk game against the Giants that seemed to seal his fate.  That's the gist of my takeaway of what happened. 

Yeah, that’s the conclusion i got too back in December. 

I loved Carson Wentz, post injury he seems to be a different dude. The whole Covid Vax/no vax thing was a weird issue even with folks here like Sweat/Rivera. Best upside, not terrible spend in capital, had to do something, I'm coming back around. I'm thrilled with this offseason if we land Wagner. 

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Not sure about this. Heinike might just beat him out in training camp. 

Nor sure if kidding. 

I mean, not if their numbers last year were indicative of anything.  He had a bad 2020, but pretty much any other year after being a rookie dunks on Heinicke.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Feel the same way.

As for his personality.  I've read a few things about that.  Odd thing is initially he was touted for his personality in Philly.  But supposedly it went south (i recall reading the story and forgetting the specifics but it gave me an RG3 vibe as for insecurity) when things stopped going smoothly for him.

In Indy, I just posted about what I read about that.

As for his personality, this might be a good summary

7 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Se we're totally screwing ourselves out of a top QB next year. The year that is supposed to be good for drafting a QB.

IF the pick next year is upgraded to a 2 then it is almost certain a top QB next year is out of the question. If and when the playoffs are out of the question, Wentz will be benched. In any case, IF we still need a QB going into 2023, we don't want a lame duck front office in charge of selecting him because that is what our FO will be if we don't go at least 9-8 this season (and that was set in stone BEFORE this trade)

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1