Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

40 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

This episode should be required listening to post in this thread. Believe me, listen!

Here is the vid of it. I watched it on the 29th. Hoffman comes across as a Daniels fan to me. Logan seems balanced. He straight up says what a lot of us think. That is that Maye has the far higher upside of the two. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

How accurate has Keim been in predicting their first pick? Obviously, past regimes have been more open. But I recall not much accuracy from him.

He's been close enough.  Chase he got but that was easy.

He thought they'd go JOK but said Jamin was a possiblity. And he knew they were thinking LB.

He knew they'd go WR, the year they took Dotson and mentioned him in the mix of possibilities.

In the previous draft, he round by round nailed their targeted spots, perfectly, it was eerie.  And yes Forbes was mentioned as a possibility.

Not saying Keim always knows.  But he's usually at least within the ballpark.  But more on point he's ginger about taking a hard position about anything unless he has multiple sources he trusts telling him the same thing.

He's not really hardcore YET, on any thought.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Here is the vid of it. I watched it on the 29th. Hoffman comes across as a Daniels fan to me. Logan seems balanced. He straight up says what a lot of us think. That is that Maye has the far higher upside of the two. 

I don’t know that Maye definitely has the higher upside. But he has two major factors that give him an advantage over Daniels long term:

1) His size limits injury potential. Now, I want to caveat that. He’s big, but he hasn’t outgrown his frame or his body and put his body in a compromised position with too much added mass (I think Anthony Richardson is too big for his frame and part of his injury situation is due to that… despite his size).

But, I acknowledge injuries can be flukes and this may not matter. 

2) His age. He’s much better than Daniels was at the same age. 

My 100% largest issue with Maye is how often he just casually jogs into a sack. 

Daniels has a better pocket presence and a bit more wiggle. But availability is a concern, like it or not. I find it interesting people who were concerned with Forbes size aren’t a little bit nervous about Daniels… but at the same time, Daniels weighs like 205 pounds more than Forbes (who last I heard was weighing in at 5 lbs.) and plays in a position where he shouldn’t take much contact. In theory.

I don’t know. This decision would take a lot of inside info imo, but I’m leaning Maye now. Age and availability overtake the other factors. 

• Like 9

I feel like the only thing Maye is really deficient in compared to everyone not named Caleb is really his footwork and throwing motion.  Now, those might not be considered "small" things but it's not like his footwork is bad, it's perfectly serviceable and mostly looks bad in the context of his habit of drifting away from pressure.

I feel like these things are things any NFL caliber OC and QB coach should be able to get to a good place in the 3 months of training time they'll have, so I don't know if I buy the "less NFL ready" argument all that much.

But it's seemingly become a huge part of the narrative, that Jayden can waltz in day 1, while Maye will need weeks and weeks to be ready.

I'm just not sure if this narrative is particularly accurate.  I feel like the same could be said for any of the prospects, none of them are perfect.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Literally just you. 🙂

Yep, I’m fine with that :)

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

enRpNR2SHKQk.gif

Funny. Like that :cheers:

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know. This decision would take a lot of inside info imo, but I’m leaning Maye now. Age and availability overtake the other factors. 

Same. I’d be Maye over Daniels now as well.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He thought they'd go JOK but said Jamin was a possiblity. And he knew they were thinking LB.

He knew they'd go WR, the year they took Dotson and mentioned him in the mix of possibilities.

In the previous draft, he round by round nailed their targeted spots, perfectly, it was eerie.  And yes Forbes was mentioned as a possibility.

Davis, Dotson and Ford, I mean Forbes, we’re all pretty much known come draft day.

• Like 3

NFL Draft 2024 Rumors: Commanders Not 'Wowed' by Trade Calls amid Jayden Daniels Buzz

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10115057-nfl-draft-2024-rumors-commanders-not-wowed-by-trade-calls-amid-jayden-daniels-buzz

The Washington Commanders haven't been convinced by what's on offer to move off their present position in the 2024 NFL draft, according to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

"They've made calls but there haven't been any sort of offers that have wowed Washington enough to move from that No. 2 spot," Fowler reported on SportsCenter. "So, right now they're standing pat. I checked with somebody with the team who said that they have not made any firm plans yet as to what they're doing with that second overall pick."

Fowler added "there's a little Jayden Daniels buzz right now but nothing firm as to what they're going to do" but that Washington hasn't narrowed its focus to only one of the quarterback prospects available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I feel like Ekeler is the semi unsung hero of all the offensive signings to date. I feel like he is going to make the new QB's transition a lot simpler even if he only in the games for limited plays. Yeah I know, Ertz and the OL additions but I see Ekeler becoming a favorite outlet option and picking up the blitzers regularly. 

I agree, I just hope guys like Ekeler and Ertz can stay healthy....both have had their share of injuries. I wonder if Ertz is an every down player of if they plan on mixing in the others on early downs while sprinkling Ertz in in different packages?

22 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Same. I’d be Maye over Daniels now as well.

Davis, Dotson and Ford, I mean Forbes, we’re all pretty much known come draft day.

For me for example Dotson was one of my favs in that draft but was in the 2nd in most mocks, Keim put it on the radar it could happen in the first with this FO. 

Definitety the whole board didn't know we were taking Davis. 😎. The board ran a competition draft day to pick who we'd take in the first.  Only one dude picked Jamin Davis.  That person was me.  😎.   And yes Keim had something to do with me thinking it was possible.

Keim had Quinn as a strong possiblity as HC.  Didn't push Slowik as a strong possibility even though he was hot with some here as a possibiity.  He said don't count this will be Ben Johnson well before Schefter said it 2 days before this team hired someone else.

I looked like Nostradamus on draft day last year, talking about the 2 spots they were targeting each round, through the whole draft.  It was actually a bit pathetic revealing Ron's need based approach.  All I did was repeat what Keim said.

Keim was one of the rare accurate ones about new ownership during the process.  Again not a ton of info about it but what he had was mostly on the money.

I can go on and on but @Voice_of_Reason would accuse me then of being Keim again.  :ols: If I had to criticizie him, its that he doesn't of course know everything that they are going to do.  Not even close.  Plus he rarely offers his own takes (which is OK with me), its him spitting takes from others.   But the thing is what he shares is rarely wrong at that given time.

Standig used to have some inside info with the Jay regime.  But its really dried up with him as to gossip for years.  I still like his stories-reports though. Finlay usually doesn't know much but I do find him entertaining.  WP reporters don't seem to have much gossip.  The only other ones that on rare occasion have something are Sheehan and Bram.  But both have said its very hard to get info from that FO.  Sheehan has a good connection though to ownership.

But in short, Keim doesn't know a lot as to what this team intends to do.  The thing is with Keim is when he does share something what he shares is very rarely wrong.  As Cooley liked to joke Keim is almost never wrong because he won't say anything unless 7 sources back it up. :ols:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

This episode should be required listening to post in this thread. Believe me, listen!

I second the recommendation. It's a pretty decent summary of the most salient points that have been made from the totality of all the sources and discussion in the thread to date. Good listen.

A few statements made: Too many considerations to be rock solid about who's the best choice. Love all three guys. One of the majors reasons for uncertainty is they don't exactly how Kingsbury is going to structure offense. 

They have, surprisingly to them, recently come around to thinking JJ belongs in the mix at two. They both would start JD over DM. One guy thinks DM has "far and away" most upside. Both guys think DM needs most clean up work and go back on forth on him doing better if he can sit awhile, but can't even be sure that's actually necessary.

Both praise JDs arm. Both acknowledge he had way better team around him but still think he's as good as advertised. Do express concerns about his frame and behavior leads to high dack rate even more than durability.

Both think JJ has most completed artsy of NFL level throws and is pro ready day one.

Mentioned DM as most baller and biggest arm of the group, compared him to Favre in those matters but has potential to learn to be more consistent and improve pocket awareness. Criticized his drifting into pressure.

Both think it's more how the team handles development of whoever they take, all three are great picks.

Lot more obviously. Again, really a pretty good conversation.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be really surprised.  The good news is if there is anything to the rumorville stuff, this team is very intrigued by both Maye and Daniels.

Judging by most of this past week rumors, Nix is going in round 2.   Penix either late first or early 2nd.

Gotta love how this regime has been able to keep a tight lid on info with minimal leaks on anything of importance.

My gut on Penix is a team grabs him late in the 1st because they love his potential and to gain that 5th year option

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 2.16.24 PM.png

OMG they better draft a QB early....non of us want to see much of Mariota

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I've listened to just about all of their podcasts.  I find that one much more McCarthy centric than their others.  And gives a bit short shrift to Maye compared to some of their others.  Hoffman has flat out said not long ago he's gravitated towards Maye after being initially a Daniels guy in multiple segments (radio-podcasts).

Not that it matters. 😎

It's a good listen.  Most of Paulsen podcasts are IMO are good.  I'll say I don't think I've heard a draft podcast or segment whether local or national with more love to McCarthy than that one -- excluding any Harbaugh press conference.  So if anyone wants to bask in some McCarthy love, that's the podcast to listen to.

14 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

OMG they better draft a QB early....non of us want to see much of Mariota

They will, 99 percent of the rumors point that way.  Standig is just playing all things to all people, they can do anything rap because as he likes to say he doesn't have a whit of a clue what they will do because there have been zero leaks

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Is it just me or does Logan Paulson always look bored to tears when talking to Craig Hoffman?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

I feel like all of us on either side of the Maye/Daniels debate just got scolded and sent to our rooms by Uncle JP 😵

https://www.audacy.com/thefandc/sports/jp-finlay-isnt-in-on-advanced-analytics-in-college-football

JP Finlay on advanced analytics for college football: 'You're comparing apples to eggplants'

Analytics in the NFL? Definitely useful, and so prevalent in the league that BMitch and Finlay have WaPo NFL numbers guru Neil Greenberg on every week to look at things by those numbers.

But that’s just what they are, numbers, and they don’t tell the whole story.

“I want to talk about the acceptance and emergence of advanced analytics in football, and how these numbers became gospel, and a real problem I have in the evaluation process,” JP Finlay said. “Pro Football Focus was originally built to be a tool for scouts, and it gained such immediate commercial success with fans because NFL fans are just so obsessed with the game, and there's a burning desire to be smarter than the guy you're arguing with on Twitter, and PFF allows these metrics for people to do that. I think that has value, but it's also incredibly speculative and not always correct, so it’s a good tool to have in your toolbox, but it is hardly gospel, and I think people have started to treat it such.”

But advanced analytics in college football? JP has NO time for that noise.

“College football is really, really different from pro football, and the level of competition that college teams face varies dramatically from week-to-week,” JP said. “In the NFL, even the bad teams are still giving you a baseline; but in college football, there’s 10 times as many teams and some are really bad, the offenses and defenses are so different and the rules are so different. So to the folks that want to send me PFF metrics based on college football, on sack rates and pressure rates and scramble rates and big-time throw rates and turnover-worthy play rates and all of these things: I'm not sure that we can definitively trust everybody that scouts and grades for PFF doing their PRO football product, so I sure as hell don't for college football.”

Obviously, the impetus of this is the Commanders having the No. 2 pick and likely taking a QB there, and “I appreciate the discourse and you being part of it, but I want to be clear that when you send me the graph of Jayden Daniels’ scramble rate to his pressure and sack rate, I think we really need to chill out on trying to say that Daniels takes a lot of sacks,” JP said.

Yes, college football and pro football are different. That's why it is so hard to project QBs even with all the stats we have. But I think this article is super lazy. E.g. pressure to sack rate is one of the most stable stats from college to the NFL. And why wouldn't it be? A pressure in college is the same as in the league. Look at the guys that struggled with that in college and then look to the league. There is basically no one who has managed to turn that around.  

No one says you can make a player decision by purely looking at stats. But to be this dismissive, especially over things that actually are very predicitive of future performance sounds like someone does not like how the stats and the player they prefer match. If you want to argue that it doesn't apply to e.g. JD how about providing some based arguments that go beyond college isn't the NFL.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Is it just me or does Logan Paulson always look bored to tears when talking to Craig Hoffman?

He mentioned the JJ McCarthy question kept him awake for hours the night before, so guessing he was just sleep deprived along with his kinda usual monotone personality.

• Like 1

Personally I like Maye's size and weight rather than Daniels. Daniels reminds me of RG3, not as durable. We want someone who will be our QB for years, not a half decade maybe. I also like that although commanding his pro day, he doesn't seem like over the top conceited or too big on himself. I watched both pro days and liked that Maye threw a possible game amount of passes. That impressed me, as well as how fast that exhibition went.

• Like 7

On 3/28/2024 at 5:18 PM, KDawg said:

Mmhmm. I don’t disagree.

I also wouldn’t disagree if Maye wasn’t in the class and we had a shot at Daniels. Or if neither was in it and we had a shot at McCarthy. This is a good situation to be in. And yes, I agree, Maye’s physical traits are among the best to ever be in a draft at QB.

Impressive claim! No response necessary, but that's quite a bold assertion.

Too bad he struggles with accuracy, haha.

23 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Instead of a dual threat QB, what if we get a great passer/processor/leader guy and put a tough, well built, fast RB in the backfield next to him as a dual threat? I read about this on an interwebs site somewhere. 

1088429632_emj2.jpg.43ea44c98954ed10e519a2eabe2df3d2.jpg

So many variables, some known and some unknown, come into play when evaluating the qualities of a great passer/processor/leader, and Maye's consistency in accuracy is questionable. I'll admit, I've grown weary of quarterbacks honing accuracy at the professional level, so I tend to favor selecting a first-round pick with exceptional dual-threat capabilities, as it immediately impacts the game under a rookie QB contract. Or guys who are deadly accurate. 

I'm not against Maye per se, as some have pointed out, he can impact the game with his run ability, which could aid his immediate impact and development.

However, the prospect of drafting someone at #2 who struggles with accuracy is daunting, much like the concerns some have about selecting a thin dual-threat QB.

23 hours ago, Commander20180 said:

I just think that Jayden's build is too slight in the long run. He's going to get injured at some point. I like Maye's frame a lot more. If he can get his footwork straightened out i think we are in business. Unfortunately in this world there are no guarantees.

Maye's getting credit for being 230, a nice little round-up. Just imagine the Daniels crew rounding his weight up to 217. LOL!

230 does sound cool though 

On 3/30/2024 at 12:58 PM, The Consigliere said:

Maye. If a guy runs if his early read is covered, and is predictable in that fashion, he's both easier to predict, and his career is easier to shorten. 

I just find the Daniels arguments utterly unconvincing and I find the individuals buying whole hog, a reminder of how and why so many dumb --- draft day decisions occur every single draft class. Maybe he hits, maybe he doesn't, and maybe Maye hits and maybe Maye doesn't, but I am baffled at how people can't see the concerning issues Daniels has in his cv, that are trade mark predictors of busting, and how few Maye has. It's just utterly mind boggling to me and suggests a level of intellectual laziness and confirmation biases that are just again, mind boggling to me. 

If he's processing so fast, why is he consantly running when his first read is covered when he had the best WR group in the country the past two years? Suggestive to me that his processing is maybe, a tad, overrated or that as per usual, people are focusing exclusively on '23, which is, to put it bluntly, totally asinine. The guys CV is '19-'23. Not, '23. I mean, I'd love to pretend that McLaurin's '23 didn't happen, but it did. We can't pretend Jayden's '19, '20, '21 and '22 didn't happen just like we can't pretend that Maye's '23 was worse than his '22, but that both seasons are a part of his CV.

Crazy pills, I just would like to believe this is predraft nonsense. Some of the quotes on JJ for instance, for why to target him so early, are such nebulous horse ----, it's easy as hell to figure out why teams draft bust after bust in round 1 at QB. 

So many draft day decisions concerning QBs have been influenced by factors like size, arm strength, and the belief that accuracy issues can be fixed. This whole emphasis on age and seasons played seems like a bit of a sham to me.

I believe it really boils down to whether a QB can establish competence at the position, something more QBs in the NFL do than they're given credit for. But the true test lies in whether they can rise above the average (the 70% of starting QBs) and impact games at an elite level.

It seems Daniels has shown competence at the QB spot, but who knows if he'll progress beyond that? The reality is, even the most hardworking and talented QBs sometimes struggle to break out.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing either way, but it feels like Daniels has the higher floor between the two. We'll need to delve deeper into each to determine their ceilings.

2 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

I feel like these things are things any NFL caliber OC and QB coach should be able to get to a good place in the 3 months of training time they'll have, so I don't know if I buy the "less NFL ready" argument all that much.

What's the basis for your assertion that it's easy and achievable within a three-month timeframe?I strongly disagree; it's much harder than some people make it out to be.I often liken changing natural motor mechanics as a passer to adjusting shooting form in basketball.

From my experience, most people struggle to change their shots, and those who succeed often take a long time. They have to be incredibly dedicated and somewhat obsessed with the process to make it happen.

Moreover, those who do manage to change their shot usually believe deep down that the change is necessary; it's not something they do just because someone else tells them to.

It's often overlooked how challenging it can be to convince someone that they need to change their mechanics, especially when they're poised to be a top 3 pick, have likely secured generational wealth for their family, and have experienced significant on-field success. Even individuals who come across as amiable in interviews may resist this process, and it's not necessarily right or wrong for them to do so. It's a highly nuanced and layered situation.

2 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

But it's seemingly become a huge part of the narrative, that Jayden can waltz in day 1, while Maye will need weeks and weeks to be ready.

I'm just not sure if this narrative is particularly accurate.  I feel like the same could be said for any of the prospects, none of them are perfect.

On day one, you can establish an elite run game and dynamic play-action with Daniels at QB; that's the potential baseline.

No certainties, but it looks probable to me that with the front office and coaching staff in place, they'll be able to achieve competence from day one and potentially excel in both the run and play-action game. 

For transparency purposes, I believe Maye has similar run qualities to Daniel Jones and his legs can be leaned on a bit to aid growth and competence as an offense. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

Jordan Reird

2024 NFL draft QB Hot Board: Ranking the top 13 quarterbacks

We're inching toward the 2024 NFL draft, and after three quarterbacks were drafted in the first four picks in 2023, we could again see a bunch of talented signal-callers go early in April. A lot of the buildup for the 2024 QB class has centered around Caleb Williams, but there are many other good options for teams looking for a new passer. As many as six QBs have a chance to be selected in the first round.

How do the best quarterbacks stack up? I ranked every passer with a draftable evaluation in my sixth (and final) edition of the 2024 QB Hot Board, an in-depth list that provides a look at the top quarterbacks. That includes 13 guys. We'll hit brief breakdowns of strengths and weaknesses, along with each player's current draft stock.

2. Drake Maye, North Carolina

Height: 6-foot-4 | Weight: 223 pounds
Class: Redshirt sophomore | Projected range: Round 1

Where he excels: North Carolina lost many of its offensive skill position standouts, leaving a lot on Maye's shoulders this past season. Even so, he showed consistency in attacking downfield with his A-level arm strength. He adjusted to the new personnel, and getting receiver Devontez Walker into the lineup after initially being ruled ineligible helped him. Maye has the poise, instincts and accuracy to get the ball to his desired spots, and his ball placement on throws to the intermediate and deep levels of the field stands out.

Maye had 3,608 passing yards, 24 passing touchdowns and another nine scores on the ground. His 63 completions on throws at least 15 yards downfield ranked second in the FBS.

I was at Maye's pro day, and he was able to show that he is comfortable taking snaps and making throws from under center. And the great velocity that he can put on his passes was very evident.

Where he needs work: The lapses in judgment on some throws is concerning, and the UNC offense occasionally got stagnant for long periods during games. Consistency with his accuracy into man coverage is one specific thing to watch. Maye only completed 41.7% of his passes against those looks -- the national average was 51.1% -- which matches what we see on tape. His ball placement on quick throws to the short and intermediate areas of the field can be sporadic.

Maye also tends to lock onto his first read too long in hopes of the receiver coming open and then forces throws instead of progressing to the next option. Eliminating options pre-snap and getting through progressions more efficiently will be important in his development.

Potential NFL team fit: Washington Commanders

99.png&h=110&w=110

3. Jayden Daniels, LSU

Height: 6-foot-4 | Weight: 210 pounds
Class: Senior | Projected range: Round 1

Where he excels: Daniels transferred in from Arizona State before his junior season in 2022 and quickly became the leader of the Tigers' offensive attack. An up-and-down first year with LSU raised some questions, but ever since an inconsistent performance against Florida State to open 2023, Daniels took off. He finished his magical Heisman-winning season with 3,812 passing yards, 40 touchdown throws and 4 interceptions while completing 72.2% of his passes. He finished first in QBR (95.6) and yards per attempt (11.7).

The biggest reason for his 2023 surge was deep accuracy. Daniels' 34 completions of 20-plus air yards ranked fourth in the FBS, and he amazingly had 22 touchdown passes and zero interceptions there. Daniels didn't throw at the combine, but that downfield touch popped at his 58-throw pro day. (He had a few errant passes on out-breaking routes but was accurate to targets between the hashmarks.)

Pocket patience was an issue coming into the season and many scouts said Daniels constantly left the pocket prematurely without letting routes develop. But his composure improved exponentially. Defenses tried to blitz Daniels, yet that's when he was at his best. He completed 71.1% of his throws with 17 touchdown passes and zero interceptions when blitzed. Daniels' running ability also challenged defenses, racking up 1,230 rushing yards (excluding sack yardage lost) and 10 scores on the ground.

play
1:42
Jayden Daniels' NFL draft profile

Check out some of the top highlights from LSU QB Jayden Daniels.

Where he needs work: Although he had success on the ground this past season, Daniels has a slender frame and takes way too many excruciating hits. He must learn to save his body by sliding more or simply throwing the ball out of bounds. LSU surrendered 22 sacks of Daniels this past season, and five were on failed scramble attempts. Daniels did weigh in at 210 pounds at his pro day, alleviating some concern here.

Potential NFL team fit: New England Patriots

130.png&h=110&w=110

4. J.J. McCarthy, Michigan

Height: 6-foot-3 | Weight: 219 pounds
Class: Junior | Projected range: Round 1

Where he excels: The Wolverines placed more trust in McCarthy this past season and it paid dividends; he led them to their first national title since 1997. He completed 72.3% of his passes (sixth in the country) and was accurate to all levels of the field. His 88.2 Total QBR was third in the FBS. One of the more impressive parts of McCarthy's game is his efficiency on play-action, where he completed 76.3% of his passes (80 attempts) and took advantage of defenses selling out to stop the run.

I really like the ball placement that I saw on McCarthy's tape last season, too. He hardly ever forces his intended targets to work to haul in passes, putting throws within their body frames. He was off-target on only 8.1% of his throws this past season, finishing with 2,991 yards, 22 TD passes and 4 interceptions. And check out his third-down numbers: 67.1% completion percentage, 9.2 yards per attempt, 6 TD throws and no picks. At his pro day, McCarthy consistently got the ball out on time and accurately, displaying strong footwork from under center and the shotgun.

Where he needs work: Lapses in decision-making plagued him in the past and he really needed to learn to live to see another day by throwing the ball out of bounds or hitting his checkdown to avoid bad turnovers. For the most part, he improved there. McCarthy threw three of his four interceptions in one game -- against Bowling Green in September.

The same questions we had about McCarthy going into the season still exist because of Michigan's run-heavy formula. How much more potential is there to uncover? McCarthy's usage in the Wolverines' system is why opinions are so mixed on his outlook at the next level. And his combine workout -- which was a little inconsistent -- didn't answer many of the lingering questions.

Lastly, scouts still want to see a better understanding of how to mix speeds on his throws. McCarthy is a fastball-only passer who hasn't quite figured out when and how to put touch on throws, and we saw that at his pro day.

Potential NFL team fit: Minnesota Vikings

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/38496853/ranking-top-2024-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-hot-board-team-fits

Jordan Reid from ESPN, ex-college QB

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Both think JJ has most completed artsy of NFL level throws and is pro ready day one.

That’s a significant point, if viewed in that same manner by team front offices….

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That’s a significant point, if viewed in that same manner by team front offices….

I can't figure out what word I was trying to type that auto correct turned into "artsy." I might have been thinking of pastry. 

Oh I got it! "Array"...stupid auto correct.

AI my ass.

• Haha 6

The "start day 1" debate is also weird to me.

Like we just brought these dudes here.  They've got to have a little extra leash on them.  I mean, sure in some orgs you want to win immediately but everyone knows this team was pretty lacking for talent, most of all Adam Peters who basically just threw the UFAs out with the bath water and turned Rivera's "send me my ring" line into a huge joke.

I suppose they can build however they want, but I would be pretty disappointed if they picked the guy they think is better Day 1 over the guy they think is probably better Year 3.  Like Dan Quinn isn't getting fired bc we went 6-11, nor are any of the underlings.

I suspect each of these coaches has at least 3 years on this team, barring some major unworkable flaw (like a sex scandal), and Peters is probably the first guy to tell people that.

So there should be no rush re: QB.  None at all.  If the fanbase wants to howl who cares, we yell about everything anyway.

Now, that's not to say this is a definitive Maye > JJ and Jayden take, though one might think that given the conclusion the Take Command podcast with Hoffman and Paulsen reached, that Maye has the highest ceiling and the others are more ready Day 1, but rather more of a philosophical pushback on the notion that "day 1 readiness" should even be a concern for us.  Tell me who is the best opening day 2026 and that's who I would pick.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

BTW

Anyone know if Kingsbury played college football?

Looking at the pic above he actually looks like an athlete. He clearly works out and takes care of himself.

QB at Texas Tech. Wes Welker on the same team. I think Kliffy was drafted in the 6th round?

Definitely a better coach than player (NFL anyways), he was pretty good in college.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2