Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

What time does Drake begin wooing our front office contingent in their private meeting?

3:30 ET is Pro Day. And his meeting is sometime before that is what I thought. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I cant be the only one who finds this absurd 

So far at no.2 it's Maye's turn. Nothing Daniels did yesterday pops out to me with his boys. Why did he not throw at the Combine? And a much tougher blend of throws. Maye has a chance to show off his big arm too and did not throw at the combine. Stroud cranked it up last year at the combine, J.J. made a appearance and had just as good a pro day as Daniels, now Maye has the chance to separate, is my opinion.  

Edited by skinsfan66
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I certainly wouldn't give it an outsized role, but if I thought that it could become enough of a distraction so as to potentially affect the QB's development then I'd definitely pay attention to it.

This is a solid and reasonable position to take @mistertim.

I agree that factors that "potentially affect the qbs devevelopment" should be fair game.

The only distinction I would make, and it is a critical distinction, is that what's ultimately important is what Jayden does, not what happens to him, or in this case what his mother allegedly did. 

In other words, it is Jayden's choices, not his mother's behavior, that I would focus on in evaluating his suitability as a potential franchise quarterback.

There's a much larger principle here:  in an existential sense what happens to anyone is ultimately irrelevant. What matters is our individual reactions, ie the choices we actively make, to the daily challenges we face in this world.

This puts the locus of control and the responsibility for our actions firmly inside each of us-- because we, or in this case Jayden, actively choose how we react to each situation.

The world  presents us and Jayden with myriad challenges every day, we aren't responsible for what happens to us, but we are completely responsible and accountable for our reaction to each of those challenges.

• Like 1

Daniels didn't meet with any teams before his Pro-day, all interviews were scheduled for after the throwing session.

Maye is meeting multiple teams before his session.

Patriots are sending that same massive horde of brass. They sure don't strike me as a team that is doing the things of an outfit that is gonna trade out of the #3 spot. They are doing all the homework.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

I will personally be quoting So I Married an Axe Murder quite a bit. There are a lot of jokes about a big head on a skinny body with Mike Meyers playing the role of his dad in the movie making fun of his younger son. 

IMG_1356.gif.c02df586b07efb962902a25fa71f4690.gif

Oh the jokes are gonna be non stop. That's half the fun lol

• Haha 3

On 12/28/2023 at 12:26 PM, TheGoodBits said:

Spent the past week some digesting QB options and I do think this is a really intriguing class. It's a REALLY good time to be picking in the top 5. Some kneejerk amateur takes: 

-Williams makes some of the most stunning plays I've ever seen. He's also has a tremendous amount he needs to clean up in the NFL. He needs to be more careful with the ball (in the pocket, running, etc), and learn how to work within a system so he can take his singles and doubles and be more selective about when to take shots. Elite traits: arm strength, creativity, elusiveness. NFL high end comp: some blend between Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes. Low end: stronger arm Kyler Murray. 
-Maye has the best pure arm talent to make high level NFL throws. He's also a great playmaker and athlete, and most other class would be a hands down #1 overall imo. NFL comp: Justin Herbert, little bit of Stafford's arm imo
-Daniels is one hell of a runner and throws a nice deep ball but makes me nervous. I can't think of a good NFL comp that's had a successful career. People point to Lamar but he's not anywhere near the passer Lamar was in college. He's also a bit older. As intriguing as he looks on the highlight reel, I'd be hesitant to take him in the top 10. NFL comp: RG3 
-JJ McCarthy is being significantly overlooked. While he lacks the highest upside of Williams and Maye, his work out of the pocket, and his instincts escaping the pocket, look the cleanest out of the bunch. He's a day 1 starter. Doesn't have quite the top 5 QB upside that Maye does, but I can absolutely see him having the most successful career out of this class. NFL comp: Kirk Cousins but better physical traits.

Maye's my guy at 2-3 (even if it involves trading up a spot or two). But I would not feel bad at all about landing McCarthy, who I think will go way earlier than the media is currently projecting. 

3 months later and I'm pretty happy with my gut reaction. Couple updates:

Williams - Not really an update. Same as my initial take: if you are sitting with a chance to draft him you need to be absolutely 100% certain you can get him to work within your offense while still giving him the flexibility to be creative and make plays. If he can do that he will be one of the best QBs in the NFL. The talent is enough that you cannot pass on him though.
Maye- footwork needs to be improved. This should be coachable. He has a chance to be a top 10 QB, maybe top 5. 
Daniels - I like Daniels a lot more as a passer now after I've had some more time to watch him. His body type and propensity to take huge hits is a big knock for me. Massive boom/bust risk.
McCarthy- I still think of him as a more athletic Kirk Cousins. I think he'll be really good. Day 1 starter would not be doing him any favors though. If I were considering drafting him, I would prefer the option of having him sit initially, just to get accustomed to the offense being throwing him into the fire given how little he was asked to carry the offense in college.

I think all four QBs go in the top 5. Any of these guys could have been a #1 overall pick in a different year. 

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm pretty sure everyone on these teams has watched lots of tape of Drake Maye. If they don't have an idea about his arm talent by now then watching his pro day probably isn't going to help them. 

Agree. They want to see how he interacts with his teammates and how he carries himself during the workout more than anything else. Having a cannon and ripping 50 yarders on a rope is quite a bonus though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peters also talked about getting to see a player's body type in person in a way that's hard to tell on tape.

Plus talking to coaches not just about the players whose pro day it is but other various prospects and general League-related fact-finding. 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Peters also talked about getting to see a player's body type in person in a way that's hard to tell on tape.

Plus talking to coaches not just about the players whose pro day it is but other various prospects and general League-related fact-finding. 

You need to be there in person to appreciate 15 pounds of water weight accumulated in a bursa sac on an elbow. 

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Agree. They want to see how he interacts with his teammates and how he carries himself during the workout more than anything else.

I wanna see that too.

Not gonna learn anything new watching a guy throw vs air but I do want to see how everybody looks when they know the world is watching.

Is it a happy affair with jokes and smiles or do they all get a stick up their butt and look like their very lives depend on today.

Edited by FootballZombie

16 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I do like a good heatmap:

Am i reading this correctly that shows Drake has some issues throwing to his right side? I assume the lower the number, the worse the rating.

One thing I noticed in the Keim recap was he mentioned that the front office believes Daniels is a fast processor.  He said it like that was the stance of the FO, not his or the opinion of someone outside the office.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 2

12 hours ago, skinsarethebest said:

if we’re able to get an RG3 who can actually read defenses and stay on his feet, then it’s a different ball game.

I mean that's my point bro, there's already one of them already and he plays for the Ravens.

And exceedingly rare QB that has long surpassed RGIII in any meaningful metric.

That's why I said the safer pick would be just your "normal" NFL QB who can throw and read defenses and that's McCarthy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

I do like a good heatmap:

Interesting data.

What surprises me is how well Jayden appears to throw in the middle of the field.

The unchallenged consensus opinion seemed to be that that was one of Daniels' greatest weaknesses.

Perhaps, it's just that the LSU offense isn't designed to work the middle of the field much, but when they do he performs admirably.

• Like 3

This whole conversation is exhausting. 

Daniels elbow, Mate’s footwork, Williams, and McCarthy is subpar because his team won or something. 

Too much chest thumping, not enough open thinking.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sources are saying the opposite of what they said yesterday, details at 11.  And don't forget to tune in tomorrow when we'll feed you some new completely different mutually exclusive to previous reports rumors!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1