Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Foolish to trade a 2nd to get a 1 year look at Fields before having to decide on making him rich.  

I don't think you would make that trade to "get a 1 year look". You make that trade knowing that you will extend him. You extend him as early as possible. It's not like he would demand top of the qb market money. If you could pay him a top 5-10 qb salary, within 2 years he would be one of the cheapest non rookie contract qbs in the league.

Embracing an elite dual-threat option requires full organizational support. It’s crucial to cultivate a succession plan of dual-threat players behind the starting quarterback and strategically draft personnel to bolster support for the dual-threat QB. A wholehearted commitment is necessary; a halfway approach won’t suffice. 

I’m not interested in a dual-threat QB scenario without full commitment. We shouldn’t aim to mold or transform them into something they’re not.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

I don't think you would make that trade to "get a 1 year look". You make that trade knowing that you will extend him. You extend him as early as possible. It's not like he would demand top of the qb market money. If you could pay him a top 5-10 qb salary, within 2 years he would be one of the cheapest non rookie contract qbs in the league.

Justin Fields is very likely to bet on himself in hopes of garnering a (near) top of market deal as opposed to signing an extension at a discount.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I would find it extremely disturbing if the new regime were showing any interest in fields in our current draft situation. Major no.

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Head start? :rofl89: 

He's not just become a more horrible disappointment than even his critics, like me, predicted, he lately comes off like a football moron and someone who doesn't care to even try to do his job.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Justin Fields is very likely to bet on himself in hopes of garnering a (near) top of market deal as opposed to signing an extension at a discount.

I'm sure there is some middle ground to be worked out there. Do you really think he would turn down the 5th biggest qb contract. I doubt it. All of this is conjecture anyway. Only reason I brought it up is some espn anylist was talking about it on a video I watched yesterday evening.

He said the commanders should offer the bears the 2nd overall for fields, but seeing how it was just a talking point, I imagine he misspoke and meant 2nd rounder. I don't the he has put enough good play on tape to warrant even a very late first rounder. At least not with the bill coming do.

Only reason I would think about it for a 2nd is, he has all the traits you could dream of, and unlike rg3, he wants to use his legs. If he ever puts it all together he could truly be amazing. Big if though. But from what I've been reading and watching, everyone around the league believes he is making strides this year. It's always better to bet on a player that's improving rather than stagnant or regressing. Unless you are the browns with Flacco.

28 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I would find it extremely disturbing if the new regime were showing any interest in fields in our current draft situation. Major no.

He's not just become a more horrible disappointment than even his critics, like me, predicted, he lately comes off like a football moron and someone who doesn't care to even try to do his job.

Yes, this situation sort of reminds me of the Stork in Animal House when Bluto accuses everyone of just layin' around.  Or maybe I'm completely off and I just love this quote.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

What an extra kick in the ass it would be to the fanbase if Wentz goes out and lights it up against the 49ers while being coached by one of multiple guys that should have somehow ended up coaching the Redskins.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kfrankie said:

What an extra kick in the ass it would be to the fanbase if Wentz goes out and lights it up against the 49ers while being coached by one of multiple guys that should have somehow ended up coaching the Redskins.  

New beginnings. Those ties are the past. Good luck to Wentz, he was a good soldier while here, but was fried mentally. 

I am quite confused as to why people want Howell on the team next year? He didn't outplay our backup QB. Someone who was benched 3 times in a season should not be trying to mentor anyone else, certainly not whatever QB we draft, and we're almost surely getting a new OC and HC so it would be a new offensive scheme anyway that Sam wouldn't know. 

What is the benefit in keeping him besides that he is cheap? Washington should not spend time or resources trying to develop two QBs simultaneously (especially one that they have already decided is not the guy)

30 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I am quite confused as to why people want Howell on the team next year? He didn't outplay our backup QB. Someone who was benched 3 times in a season should not be trying to mentor anyone else, certainly not whatever QB we draft, and we're almost surely getting a new OC and HC so it would be a new offensive scheme anyway that Sam wouldn't know. 

What is the benefit in keeping him besides that he is cheap? Washington should not spend time or resources trying to develop two QBs simultaneously (especially one that they have already decided is not the guy)

He's dirt cheap and you aint getting nothing in a trade.

He has a great attitude and work ethic, Its not like he's moping around or anything. We are gonna need like 3-4 QBs in camp anyway.

At worst he's a study buddy for the new guy to bounce questions they don't wanna go to the coach with as they both learn a new playbook. Plus he has proven to be unreasonably Kryptonian level durable. I've seen heavy bags take less damage. That's nice to have, especially if the lead guy has injury concerns.

He is not like Wentz where the contract is self defeating and he is not like TH where the ceiling is below the floor.

Unless there is some fear that he is a threat to the new guy's job, I don't see much of a reason to give him the boot.

We will have new brass, so its not like Sam will be their "guy". In fact the new guy will inherit that title.

The only way I can see Sam as a potential issue is if you draft some 2nd or 3rd round QB and he has to directly compete for play time... and I don't think that is gonna happen.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I'm in the camp that wants to retain him and see what he could do with competent coaching and protection, which I do believe will be the case next season.  He certainly showed the ability to deliver the ball earlier in the season and I believe he could be a solid backup.  Hell if the rookie fails with the above mentioned improvement we could see Sam as the starter again with upside, something Brisett does not have.  

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

So Ron wanting to play it close to the vest to not give the Boys an advantage lasted 5 hours?   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm in the camp that wants to retain him and see what he could do with competent coaching and protection, which I do believe will be the case next season.  He certainly showed the ability to deliver the ball earlier in the season and I believe he could be a solid backup.  Hell if the rookie fails with the above mentioned improvement we could see Sam as the starter again with upside, something Brisett does not have.  

So Ron wanting to play it close to the vest to not give the Boys an advantage lasted 5 hours?   

Yeah, but it was five hours of daylight. Checkmate, Dallas.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

I listened to much of Ron's press conference today.  Add that one to the pile of all timer laughable appearances from him

Heck I am starting to use Ron's half speed efforts and excuse making approach as some life lessons that I sometimes share on occasion with my son who follows the team.  Ron's gotten that level bad with me where he's an example of how not to do things.  He's a nice guy.  But he's an excuse making politcian.  He's more likeable than Bruce Allen but is just as spin driven and clunky-comically bad at doing it. 

Today it was basically Ron bemoaning that the QB spot has derailed his tenure.  But naturally he explained it in a way where he had nothing to do with their circumstances at QB.    It was just random bad luck.  He goes to the reporters you all gave him a hard time when he said last year that the QB is the difference as to why the other NFC East teams are better -- and aha you can see that its indeed true. 

He talks about how he had Cam in Carolina and what a difference that was.

So the gist of it was throwing Howell under the bus.  He didn't directly say it but he basically made a mea culpa that he still didn't find a QB.  And he came off like we should feel sorry for him because everything else was done right.  :ols:  What a joke. 

We've had some bad coaches here.  But I can't recall a coach with this much power here but also takes no responsibilty for having that power.  The buck stops with someone else or circumstance.

Even playing with Ron's pretzel logic, how is Ron explaining that he could be swept by the Giants backup QBs including a third stringer who will probably be out of the league soon.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, mac8887 said:

No way. I’m intrigued by Fields but he’s  done nothing to warrant an extension and honestly has shown to be closer to bad than good. It would be insane to randomly lock him up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

He's dirt cheap and you aint getting nothing in a trade.

He has a great attitude and work ethic, Its not like he's moping around or anything. We are gonna need like 3-4 QBs in camp anyway.

At worst he's a study buddy for the new guy to bounce questions they don't wanna go to the coach with as they both learn a new playbook. Plus he has proven to be unreasonably Kryptonian level durable. I've seen heavy bags take less damage. That's nice to have, especially if the lead guy has injury concerns.

He is not like Wentz where the contract is self defeating and he is not like TH where the ceiling is below the floor.

Unless there is some fear that he is a threat to the new guy's job, I don't see much of a reason to give him the boot.

We will have new brass, so its not like Sam will be their "guy". In fact the new guy will inherit that title.

The only way I can see Sam as a potential issue is if you draft some 2nd or 3rd round QB and he has to directly compete for play time... and I don't think that is gonna happen.

Is it worth it if someone wants to trade a 6th for him? I would at least explore our options. He is young, cheap and on a rookie deal. Someone might be willing to work with him. I don't see the point if he has no real future here

I think a vet works better as a backup to a learning and developing rookie. If Jacoby is willing to stay, great, but it seems unlikely. He'll see Flacco's success and look for a place he might be able to start. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Is it worth it if someone wants to trade a 6th for him? I would at least explore our options. He is young, cheap and on a rookie deal. Someone might be willing to work with him. I don't see the point if he has no real future here

I think a vet works better as a backup to a learning and developing rookie. If Jacoby is willing to stay, great, but it seems unlikely. He'll see Flacco's success and look for a place he might be able to start. 

Sam is worth more to me than a 6.

Furthermore his cost or presence is not prohibitive to bringing in a vet QB if that is desired. We will run w/ 3-4 QBs in camp and likely roster 3.

If they wanna bring back JB or get a Flacco type, keeping Sam does not prevent us from doing anything. You can still draft your high-end solution on top of going out and getting a mentor.

Sam is only a limiting factor in the most unlikely scenarios where he is forced into direct competition w/ the new guy, otherwise you'd just be getting rid of him simply for the sake of getting rid of him. Outside of injury I don't think we are gong to be in a position where Sam is competing for QB1 next offseason so I don't see a potential problem. He'll be a backup QB with a little bit of upside and considering he is the only QB we have under contract its all we got right now.