Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think there's a legitimate point about some of our receivers not being good against man coverage, but that doesn't change the fact that Heinicke also doesn't have the arm to get them the ball consistently, especially if there's a small window.

I disagree about whether they'd play us that way though. Defenses would have done the same thing IMO. They know Heinicke has a weak arm, so what do they lose by crowding the box, sitting on short stuff, and sending pressure? They know he can't make them pay with his arm, so maybe they'll allow a couple dink and dunk passes if it means they can shut him down for anything more.

I guess the only advantage Heinicke has opposed to every other QB we traded for or not, is that he's the moft gifted to survive behind this OL.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the last two QB we signed for during the offseason and were supposed to be our savior ended up injured. Fluke plays or dumb stuff, probably, but none are big surprise.

And for whatever reason, Heinicke knows how to survive this.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dyst said:

Wasting time by not playing Howell. Keeping him sidelines won’t improve his game. Put him in and lets see how he plays 

As a fan, I'd like to see what Howell can do.  Putting on my coach's hat though, I can see why they're not starting him.  

1) How much of the offense does he know?  If he can't execute at least 70% of the playbook then the offense will be predictable, and you won't really see if he has game or not.  Can he set protections at an NFL level?  He'll need to prove that he can master that aspect of the game first.  I have no doubt that he's a tough kid.  But you don't want him getting his brains beat in because he forgot to get his RB on a potentially free rusher.  How comfortable is he calling plays in the huddle?  He needs to speak clearly and quickly.  As soon as the coaching staff is confident in those things then they should play Howell.  But not before. 

2) Howell hasn't seen how Turner's offense is supposed to be run.  Not from Wentz and not during a regular season where more in-depth game planning is conducted.  At the least, Heinicke will be able to demonstrate what Turner is looking for from his QB.  Now, whether Turner is a good OC or not is still up for debate.  We'll see because he's got a system friendly QB now.   It's just as important to see what Turner can do as it is the QB.  If he's not a good OC, then RR needs to move on from him.  He has the best complement of skills players yet and a QB who knows his system.  Don't care about the Oline.  It's time for Turner to prove himself.  Overcome the Oline challenges and find a way to move the ball!

3) There are other players on the team with families to support and mouths to feed.  They all wanna get paid.  If you want the good ones to stick around long term, then RR needs to prove to them that he hasn't given up on the season.  Only 35% of the season has been played.  So, while we may think the season is over RR can never take that approach if he wants some of the good players to want to remain with the team.  Otherwise, the team will continue to lose players who just want out of the clown show that this franchise has been.  There are also incentives built into some contracts.  It would be wrong to prevent players from reaching their bonuses because the coaching staff thinks the season is not salvageable.  

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, method man said:

Not many do anymore. Gone are days of poster like @SoCalSkins excoriating the team for not giving Hiney a 3 year $30M extension. I think what a lot of folks want is fun offensive football led by a very likeable guy. The team's upside with Hiney is the #7 playoff spot if teams in the other three divisions continue to suck but the likely outcome is something like 6-11 or 7-10.

Are you brain damaged? 

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

@ThomasRoane 

I have reasons I'd rather see Howell but instead using them as some rebuttal to that last post of yours I prefer to say yours was a thoroughly well-argued take.

Credit where it's due.

Thank you Sir.

I really do hope we see Howell at some point.  I think the chances are good because I doubt that either Heinicke or Wentz can stay healthy.  I'm not sure about Howell's height.  Some say he's  6 foot.  Some say 6'1".  Wish it was more like 6'3".  I do love his arm strength though.  Man that ball gets there quick!  And, he's a tough kid.  Not as elusive as TH in the pocket but thicker and probably more durable.  I was pretty surprised he lasted till the 5th round after the year he had prior to 2021.  I'm an ACC fan so I watched him.  Last year's UNC team was gutted!  He had to run the ball more and did so without complaining.  That says a lot about his character.  He didn't hit the transfer portal.  The only think I don't like about him is that there's no way someone that young should be able to grow an awesome beard like that!  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Im interested to see if teams keep all out blitzing us with TH in there. I do think with his escapability and weaker arm, we might see more zone coverage and less blitzing. 

Considering the state of our OL, they may very well not need to blitz much at all. If their front 4 can get consistent pressure then they can not only drop guys to potentially lock down the short and intermediate passing lanes, but they could also leave someone in there in a "spy" type role in case Heinicke decides to try and scramble a lot or Turner boots him a bunch.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, slinky said:

if Zappe can start for NE and excel then I think Howell can... well, Howell would excel for BB as I trust BB and their staff way more than Ron and Turner.

Zappe and Howell are very similar size and build.

Howell also has a gun. Zappe has a bit of a noodle (disclosure: I do like him though).

On the other hand...Zappe is playing under Bill B, who is known to adapt everything to the talent he has. We don't seem to have much of that in our coaching staff.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

Heine has been in this offense for awhile now, he probably knows it better than Wince, so it wouldn't shock me if we see things in "rhythm" a little bit more, if anything for at least a few weeks.  

Those that want to see more of the running game will certainly get their wish.  I am not sure if that is a good thing, Turner isn't going to magically morph into a competent play caller overnight, but perhaps Heine knowing the plays better will help Turner look less like a dip****?

Excuse me for the off-topic post but thought you all might be interested.

Source: https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/sports/nfl/football

Colts owner Jim Irsay told reporters he believes there is "merit to remove" Commanders owner Daniel Snyder.

Irsay also noted in his brief interview that he believes there "potentially will be" the 24 votes needed to remove Snyder, and noted "He can investigate me till the cows come home, it’s not going to back me off.” It's one thing to get this smoke from sources -- for another owner to loudly proclaim this points strongly to the fact that Snyder's ownership tenure is in real jeopardy. Irsay believes it's in the best interest of the NFL to remove Snyder from his ownership position and that's probably not a small circle view behind closed doors if he's willing to say it this publicly.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Excuse me for the off-topic post but thought you all might be interested.

Source: https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/sports/nfl/football

Colts owner Jim Irsay told reporters he believes there is "merit to remove" Commanders owner Daniel Snyder.

Irsay also noted in his brief interview that he believes there "potentially will be" the 24 votes needed to remove Snyder, and noted "He can investigate me till the cows come home, it’s not going to back me off.” It's one thing to get this smoke from sources -- for another owner to loudly proclaim this points strongly to the fact that Snyder's ownership tenure is in real jeopardy. Irsay believes it's in the best interest of the NFL to remove Snyder from his ownership position and that's probably not a small circle view behind closed doors if he's willing to say it this publicly.

Well now despite all the Wentz stuff.... I like Irsay....

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

...that's probably not a small circle view behind closed doors if he's willing to say it this publicly.

Um, we're talking about the same Jim Irsay, right? lol...there is nothing he's not willing to say publicly.

And this should be in the other thread, my response included lol...

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I can't believe we just saw Wentz score 0 points in the first half of multiple games - Z E R O - and people are talking down on the posters who are excited to see Taylor under center instead.

We all know Taylor's limitations. Too short, can't throw outside the hashes, etc. But his playing style is fun, he's a likeable guy, and outside of Wentz's deep shots you almost literally cannot do worse than what we just saw.

Hell, saving our 2nd round pick is reason enough to be excited. The season's most likely gone anyway so let's see how Taylor fares this year in a different situation.

Equally exciting is the fact that Sam Howell will now be getting 2nd string reps and suit up on gamedays. That will be invaluable for his development. I don't think some of you realize how few reps he's been getting as the 3rd string. In fact, even I don't know. But it can't have been very many. You can't just toss in a guy who hasn't had an opportunity to prepare just because the backup isn't a franchise QB. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

We all know Taylor's limitations. Too short, can't throw outside the hashes, etc. But his playing style is fun, he's a likeable guy, and outside of Wentz's deep shots you almost literally cannot do worse than what we just saw.

I just hope we still have a healthy receiver or two left when Wince returns. They don't call him "Hospital Throw" Heineke for nothing. The comic below could have just as easily been about him.

gcd2qcsf9py51.jpg

• Haha 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

People were pining for him before Wentz got hurt. 

No one said anything about not supporting him, whatever that means. If it means writing flowery messages on ES about him, well count me out. 

I've seen a lot of so called fans on this forum who have gone out of their way wanting to see him fail. And that's a damn shame. Here's a kid who leaves everything on the field every game he plays in. Does he have a huge arm like Wentz? Certainly not, but he does a lot of things well that I find valuable in a quarterback, and one of those things is leadership. teammates rally around Taylor Heinicke. I believe you're going to see that this coming Sunday.

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Considering the state of our OL, they may very well not need to blitz much at all. If their front 4 can get consistent pressure then they can not only drop guys to potentially lock down the short and intermediate passing lanes, but they could also leave someone in there in a "spy" type role in case Heinicke decides to try and scramble a lot or Turner boots him a bunch.

With Larsen at center last week the OL looked a lot better or at least it was a noticeable improvement. 

2 hours ago, slinky said:

if Zappe can start for NE and excel then I think Howell can... well, Howell would excel for BB as I trust BB and their staff way more than Ron and Turner.

Zappe and Howell are very similar size and build.

Not sure what trust has to do with this but their #1 and #2 went down and that is why Zappe was called up. If the same thing happens here then Howell will be the next man up. Howell is now getting the backup reps. So he should be ready if Taylor goes down. Next man up. 

43 minutes ago, Old Blue said:

I've seen a lot of so called fans on this forum who have gone out of their way wanting to see him fail. And that's a damn shame. Here's a kid who leaves everything on the field every game he plays in. Does he have a huge arm like Wentz? Certainly not, but he does a lot of things well that I find valuable in a quarterback, and one of those things is leadership. teammates rally around Taylor Heinicke. I believe you're going to see that this coming Sunday.

You're completely making **** up. Nobody on here has "gone out of their way wanting to see him fail."

Please stop lying, it's not a good look.

48 minutes ago, Old Blue said:

I've seen a lot of so called fans on this forum who have gone out of their way wanting to see him fail. 

Welcome to another new member of the Commanders home msg board who joined during the banner year for the team of 2021 which, coincidentally, is the year you became a Commanders fan according to your user page, where you also list heinie as your fave Commander.☺️...Deja vu all over again.

I also note that you, mr new member who's been a fan for a year or so and holds heinie as your fave player, is actually referring to other members here as "so called fans." Oh my.

As the kids say, "you can't make this **** up" 😆

I wonder if heinie either had a handful of relatives join in 2021 to boost his social media presence or it's one guy with multiple accts. 🙃

But onto your post, many of us here, inc. staff, dislike sweeping misrepresentations of topical content as actually posted, or similarly  mischaracterizing individual or general posting on a topic.

It's even mentioned in the rules.🙂

So, going by the actual words you've used here, I am directing you to make your next post in this thread one that contains 3 (which is hardly "a lot") different posters' posts that do what you claim.

Your other alternatives are to retract your comment as written and properly modify your claim, or ignore this directive.

But the latter would be a rule 18 violation so I'd definitely avoid that option. If what you stated is true, it should be pretty easy. 🙂

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2