Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

37 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

The only thing that makes me feel better is that all of the veteran QBs that we were going after and switched teams all look terrible. Maybe switching to a new system isn't so easy?

Maybe. Good QBs rarely see the open market. Trubinski might have been the best of the lot and that's sad. 😆

I think Watson will stink when he returns. Gotta be rusty as hell after all that time off.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:37 PM, Califan007 The Constipated said:

The 4-game win streak occurred during those last 11 or so games...the passing stats were:

77% completion rate

220 yds per game

7.4 ypa

7 TDs

2 INTs

I'll take that over the next 4 weeks until Wentz returns. Doubt it leads to 4 straight wins, but it would be miles better than the passing stats of the last 4 games:

60% completion rate

210 yds per game

5.8 ypa

3 TDs

3 INTs

Oh, we’re using 4 game stretches as sample sizes. Heinicke last season had this 4 game stretch:

54/101 (53%)

610 yards (152.5 per game)

5.54 ypa 

2 TD

4 iNT

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Washington Injury Update: Carson Wentz placed on IR; will miss at least 4 games with broken finger

I bet Colts fans are shedding tears right now.

With Wentz guaranteed to miss  the next 4 games it all but eliminates the nightmare backdoor scenario that he would somehow end up playing 70% of the snaps costing us a 2nd.  round pick.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I think Watson will stink when he returns. Gotta be rusty as hell after all that time off.

No.

you underestimate the transformative power and focus from all the massage therapy he’s received during his football downtime.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

No.

you underestimate the transformative power and focus from all the massage therapy he’s received during his football downtime.

But doesn't it have to come from women for it to really be therapeutic for Watson? I thought one of the restrictions placed on him is that he can only visit team therapists. By now, he might have given up massages altogether.

Edited by NickyJ

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

But doesn't it have to come from women for it to really be therapeutic for Watson? I thought one of the restrictions placed on him is that he can only visit team therapists. By now, he might have given up massages altogether.

There was an article that said he received 13 massage therapies in one day!  

Damn dude, better hydrate!

• Haha 1

Heinicke was averaging 6 yards per game rushing during his last 6 starts.  That certainly has to change if there is any sort of hope of being competitive.  That said, I wonder if the hesitation to run last season was because he feared that was his one chance to show that he belonged in the NFL and didn't want to get injured.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Heinicke was averaging 6 yards per game rushing during his last 6 starts.  That certainly has to change if there is any sort of hope of being competitive.  That said, I wonder if the hesitation to run last season was because he feared that was his one chance to show that he belonged in the NFL and didn't want to get injured.  

Was this after he got COVID though? It can effect your lungs and energy. 

Before COVID I think he wanted to be a pocket passer but his bread and butter was scrambling. Ron did talk to him about that. I am sure not getting hurt also played a role and he wanted to start as much as he could as well knowing it might be his last chance. So really couple of factors here to consider.

14 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

You think TH didn’t run because he had Covid? I’m not sure we want to take that to the debate floor. 😆

COVID affects everyone differently so was just throwing that out there. I have no idea. I would have to go back and rewatch all of the last 6 games to refresh my memory to give you more of an honest answer.

34 minutes ago, zCommander said:

COVID affects everyone differently so was just throwing that out there. I have no idea. I would have to go back and rewatch all of the last 6 games to refresh my memory to give you more of an honest answer.

Wasn’t that during Scott’s “play like Mark Rypien” experiment instead of playground hero ball?

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

If I had to guess I'd say that was the biggest reason. Which is also completely understandable.

But it was a catch-22. On one hand his biggest attribute is his ability to scramble and extend plays, but on the other hand he knew that it was probably his only shot at becoming an NFL starter and if he ran and got injured that would end very quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If I had to guess I'd say that was the biggest reason. Which is also completely understandable.

But it was a catch-22. On one hand his biggest attribute is his ability to scramble and extend plays, but on the other hand he knew that it was probably his only shot at becoming an NFL starter and if he ran and got injured that would end very quickly.

I think it’s a good guess.  Seemed weird though (IMO), because when he did scramble, he did it quite safely - slid, went OOB, rarely took hits.  And frankly, if you’re trying to show you belong in the league - gaining those “free” yards goes a long way.

Generally speaking, you’d look at things like do teams spy the qb, intentionally rush to keep the qb in the pocket, play more zone (reducing those pockets to run into), heavier boxes, etc.  

Specifically to him, you could point to teams playing with more guys in the box at times near the end of the season, but I’m pretty sure he had numerous games earlier that he rarely ran?  Could certainly see Covid having an impact, but again, that was before the 1st Dallas game.

Going to be interesting to see how things go this go around

Losing Wentz for 5 games if that's how it goes down might help us save the 2nd round pick?

Interestingly both Cooley and Logan Paulsen think that Heinicke will play better than Wentz.  To combine both of their theories, they believe that Heinicke will open up their playbook and likely help Terry in particular get the ball more.  If I recall Terry is at a career low as to targets, etc -- so they think Terry might be looking forward to this change.  lol, its not that either are big on Heinicke at all.  They see him as a high end backup.  but they seem low on Wentz's performance thus far. 

I guess we are about to see.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Here is the site to track Wentz's and the rest of the team's SNAP COUNTS.  (Contract is a 2nd round pick if Wentz plays 70% of offensive plays.)

He currently has participated in 100% (422 snaps).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2022-snap-counts.htm

His snap counts in the first 6 games were: 77, 74, 77, 74, 63, 57

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 4:16 PM, TradeTheBeal! said:

HineyHiney moves chains.

‘That’s the ceiling, that’s the moxie.  And it’s kinda fun sometimes.

But he didn't move the chains.  Gibson moved the chains.  In their 4 game win streak, they won 2 of the games 17-15.  

13, 10, 10, 29, 27, 17, 17, (20), 17, 14, 16, 22.  That's the points scored starting in the KC game.  the 29, 27, 17, 17 was the 4 game win streak. The Parenthesis game is the Dallas game where TH missed

The only time the offense was remotely effective was when they ran the ball successfully and got somewhat lucky on 3rd downs.  

Starting with the Carolina Panther's win, here are the passing yard numbers:  179, 219, 186, (124), 174,  172, 218,  99.  

They really couldn't move the ball at all through the air the back half of the season, even during the back part of the 4 game wining streak.  They won because they played much better defense and ran the hell out of the ball.

If that's what it takes, fine, but it's not a recipe for long term success.

There is just literally no world that this offense is better with TH than Wentz.  Or any offense.  

Caveat: They're playing a Joe Barry defense this week, so they might just look like the greatest show on turf Rams for a week.  Because Barry is THAT much of an idiot.  But it won't last.  

The Heinicke "opening the playbook" thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense, seeing as how they clearly had to pare down the play book and rely heavily on the run for success last season, probably because of his arm limitations.

Even if Turner opens up more boots and rollouts I'm guessing it would basically break even because there are some throws Heinicke just can't really make.

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The Heinicke "opening the playbook" thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense, seeing as how they clearly had to pare down the play book and rely heavily on the run for success last season, probably because of his arm limitations.

Even if Turner opens up more boots and rollouts I'm guessing it would basically break even because there are some throws Heinicke just can't really make.

I am pretty sure it means that it will be more open than what Wentz could handle - like targeting Terry.

:229:The Rook

5 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

I think he stopped running at all because the staff basically told him to protect himself to avoid injury. Taylor is sneaky explosive when he runs and that part of his game has to be utilized if we’re gonna do anything offensively in the coming games.

Edited by Indi1988