Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep and we were slated to go the playoffs right before the COVID outbreak post the Raiders game.  Some like to say well other teams had COVID outbreaks, too.  Yeah they did but we weren't paying teams that had similar COVID outbreaks.  We played seriously undermanned against teams that were close to full strength,  Even with all of that, we could have won those two games against the Eagles.  

if we even had average Qb play we'd likely have made the playoffs.

And we did so with a bear of schedule with Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Brady, Josh Allen, Herbert on the docket.  With games against Carr and Ryan being the "easy" ones and we beat both of those teams. 

Things aren't all doom and gloom.

I know there is a poster or two who are really fired up as to getting others to rally against Rivera -- but the reason why they aren't really many takers is overall Rivera has been clearly fine factoring context.

I got as much angst as anyone about the QB spot, its pretty much 95% of what I post about, read about and obsess about -- but it seems odd to trash Rivera for failing this off season when the off season hasn't even started.   It would be like my complaining about the food in a restaurant before the food is even served to me based on my anticipation of the meal.  

The only thing I worry about is if phil gets a top flight Qb

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Sounds like Kyler Murray is a little unruly in Arizona for whatever reason......the Eagles have enough ammo to get him.

I would trade the farm for Kyler right now.....3 first rounders, Payne and maybe a little bit more.

31 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Don't worry about Philly, if we are healthy when we play them we will be better. They caught us at the most opportune time, coming off their bye week and us having 25 guys with COVID. 

2 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Sounds like Kyler Murray is a little unruly in Arizona for whatever reason......the Eagles have enough ammo to get him.

I would trade the farm for Kyler right now.....3 first rounders, Payne and maybe a little bit more.

How bout Kyler to Houston straight up for Desean Watson? Now that's a trade! 

And both guys would be shipped to the other conference. Watson reunites with DHop....Murray with David Johnson (Ha,Ha).

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep and we were slated to go the playoffs right before the COVID outbreak post the Raiders game.  Some like to say well other teams had COVID outbreaks, too.  Yeah they did but we weren't paying teams that had similar COVID outbreaks.  We played seriously undermanned against teams that were close to full strength,  Even with all of that, we could have won those two games against the Eagles.  

And we did so with a bear of schedule with Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Mahomes, Brady, Josh Allen, Herbert on the docket.  With games against Carr and Ryan being the "easy" ones and we beat both of those teams. 

I know there is a poster or two who are really fired up as to getting others to rally against Rivera -- but the reason why they aren't really many takers is overall Rivera has been clearly fine factoring context.

I got as much angst as anyone about the QB spot, its pretty much 95% of what I post about, read about and obsess about -- but it seems odd to trash Rivera for failing this off season when the off season hasn't even started.   It would be like my complaining about the food in a restaurant before the food is even served to me based on my anticipation of the meal.  

Ron has exceeded expectations when considering all factors. Craziness to hold his feet to the fire at this point. I also appreciate Ron speaking with more urgency and an increased level of expectations for this upcoming season. It shows me he’s about his word and his plan. Admittedly, I was a bit thrown off early on in his tenure, sounded like a guy who wasn’t maximizing the now. Not to say that was right or wrong, but I believe he’s acting on a clear vision set out long ago. The final piece is the QB and most agree the roster has at least become top half of the league with great depth along both lines. 

Im on the extreme end, as I wouldn’t be against extending him, no need to now, but just sharing where I’m at with him. 

• Like 6

After a thorough review of options I have reached the following conclusions.

1.  Aaron Rodgers is not leaving Green Bay

2.  Derek Carr is not leaving Vegas 

3.  Russell Wilson is not leaving Seattle.

4.  Deshawn Watson will not be traded.

5.  Jimmy G will be available, SF will ask for a 1st, but will probably settle for a 2nd and 4th.  Jimmy might get us 8 wins next year and push us back to a later first round pick and we still won’t get a franchise QB.  I sincerely hope this is not the big swing Ron is talking about.

6.  Guys like Teddy, Marcus and Mitch will be available, but none of these guys get you where you want to go.

The Washington Commanders near term future will depend on a rookie QB selected with the 11 th pick.  Pick the right guy and we start up a good path of growth and development, choose wrong and we remain in purgatory searching for our next franchise QB.

I think Willis and Corral have the highest ceilings.  Both have strong arms and mobility.  I lean towards Corral based on decision making, but if they like Willis better I understand.   I think Pickett and Howell are the more conservative picks; started more games in college.  Howell does throw a very good deep ball and  Pickett is a good decision maker.  Under perfect  circumstances both might be successful, I just don’t think Washington provides that perfect opportunity.I’m not a QB guru and I don’t have a crystal ball to tell you what’s going to happen.  At 11  I take Willis/Corral if they are there.  If not I take the best .ILB or CB on the board.  Maybe take a flyer on Strong or Zappa in the subsequent rounds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mostly agree with this, but I think we should also keep in mind that, especially during the 5 game win streak, we won super close games by the skin of our teeth so any one of those games could easily have gone the other way with 1 or 2 different bounces.

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm with you. Sign Trubisky, keep TH as backup.

Sign Gesicki at TE.

Sign Allen Robinson WR.

Re-sign JD McKissic

Build the defense through draft.....add a legit MLB

re-sign Joe Slye!

And you think ARob would come here with Trubisky as our QB?

Edited by KDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

We need to tread water until Caleb Williams declares for the draft - that's our franchise QB.

I'd do whatever it takes to build up the ammo if we don't get a top 5 pick next year.

Takes someone willing to give up their top 3 draft pick, too.

Also to the above posts: Kyler Murray is posturing for a contract extension for both himself and Kingsbury. If Kliff and Kyler aren't extended Murray will go with him wherever he goes. And if he's traded you'll see a half ass effort most likely because he wants to play under Kliff. I wouldn't treat him as a real possibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Also to the above posts: Kyler Murray is posturing for a contract extension for both himself and Kingsbury. If Kliff and Kyler aren't extended Murray will go with him wherever he goes. And if he's traded you'll see a half ass effort most likely because he wants to play under Kliff. I wouldn't treat him as a real possibility.

I think there more chance Kingsbury gets fired before he gets an extension.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

I think there more chance Kingsbury gets fired before he gets an extension.

Then Murray leaves in FA and follows Kingsbury.

Arizona can trade him but the team taking him on is taking a real big risk, and I'm betting Murray would have outlandish demands to extend his contract.

He's not an option at the moment. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

I mostly agree with this, but I think we should also keep in mind that, especially during the 5 game win streak, we won super close games by the skin of our teeth so any one of those games could easily have gone the other way with 1 or 2 different bounces.

We could have also beat the Saints and Denver if we played just a little better. both games could have been had.  But just in general most games in the NFL are close. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, actorguy1 said:

This isn’t great.

If Russ doesn’t come (it’s not likely) then everyone knows now that the players (Allen wouldn’t say this out loud if other players didn’t believe it, too, and factor in Payne’s father’s comments about a QB) are unnerved by the QB situation.

Heinicke was viable while he had magic. Not a true QB, but capable… because guys played for him.

Now it seems that replacing Heinicke won’t be enough to inspire. Anything short of Russ, Carr, Murray, Rodgers is going to be a disappointment to the locker room. And the only guy of those four that may even be a slight option is likely Russ. 

Maybe the locker room can get sold on someone else over time. But our QB situation is absolutely desperate.

Lack of options, lack of high end rookies and it doesn’t seem like the locker room can hang on for another year of “we’ll get a QB next year, guys.”

We’ll see. Long process. But this isn’t good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RWJ said:

I didn't know RR almost traded for the Bill's Mitchell Tribusky at the trade deadline last year.  

Column: Rivera, Washington are too reactive in bid to land a franchise QB | WTOP News

Strange article, giving Ron a hard time for not chasing Cam Newton, Teddy, Trubisky.

I recall the QB thread last year.  I was big on Stafford.  And the further down the road it went where it was clear he had multiple suitors, I at one point said I'd give up a first and a third as my ultimate price.  And I got some push back on that as too steep of a price even from some who liked Stafford.  Later we find out that's exactly what they offered and there was another story that it was just their opening offer and were willing to go higher.  Yet, Rivera now to some wasn't aggressive enough?

I don't know what whatever team asked for to trade up to Justin Fields but I get the impression it involved players based on things said later on. And they didn't want to give up trade capital and players, too.  Sounds like Rivera now changed his mind on that idea and is willing to give up players.  But I also recall some pushback on the idea of trading players last year from some on the board.  All of that is cool.  My point is it might feel cut and dry now but it wasn't so cut and dry then. 

Could have Rivera been even more aggressive?  Sure.  But apparently they were fishing for Stafford and Fields.  IMO those were the right targets.  they could have chased Darnold, which some on that QB thread wanted to do, granted a vocal minority, and Rivera smartly didn't do that.  That was smart.  Plenty of evidence they loved Burrow.  According to Keim, Hurney loved Herbert (alas our FO at the time not so much).

My point is for now I'll trust them on their targets at QB.  They've shown at least for me they have the ability to scope out the right guy.  I haven't heard yet their takes about these QBs post Senior Bowl.  But pre Senior Bowl, if they aren't in love with a guy.  I'll trust them on it.  They wouldn't be alone on that if so.  A PFF guy on the radio said yesterday in our shoes he would try to trade for a veteran and hinted that he might not even grade any of these QBS in the first round.  Standig in the latest podcast he did said he talked to some scouts and the guys they were highest on in the Senior Bowl at QB they graded 2nd rounders. 

Everyone incuding pessimistic Standig believe they will take a big swing at QB if a QB that warranted a big swing surfaces.  Maybe it does.  Maybe it doesn't.  But I am going to wait for it to play out before I grade them.  I got almost no doubt that if a target emerges they will offer an over the top trade (they gave up what? kind of deal) to get their guy ala what the Rams did.  They are basically telegraphing that right now.

I do think though those that want them to fall in love with one of these QBs (granted pre Senior Bowl, maybe something changed) in the draft and would like to see them give up their 2023 first round pick and change to go up to #4 to grab their favorite QB in this draft will likely be dissappointed at least based on the leaks right now.   If a big target doesn't emerge feels like its Trubisky-Mariota-Jimmy G, with the best Qb left in the 2nd round and if things don't work out, they swing in the first in 2023.  I don't love that but I get the logic to it.  But even if I hated it, I am not condemning them for it unless it actually unfolds like that -- I am not attacking them for a thought that hasn't even played out, yet. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

A sneaky reason from time to time that some bring up as for getting a QB, it helps attract other stars.  Heck even sometimes on the other side of the ball.  I recall JJ Watt saying he wanted to go to Arizona becuase of Murray.

I know Gronk isn't great anymore but this isn't an isolated thing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point is for now I'll trust them on their targets at QB.  They've shown at least for me they have the ability to scope out the right guy.  I haven't heard yet their takes about these QBs post Senior Bowl.  But pre Senior Bowl, if they aren't in love with a guy.  I'll trust them on it.  They wouldn't be alone on that if so.  A PFF guy on the radio said yesterday in our shoes he would try to trade for a veteran and hinted that he might not even grade any of these QBS in the first round.  Standig in the latest podcast he did said he talked to some scouts and the guys they were highest on in the Senior Bowl at QB they graded 2nd rounders. 

Everyone incuding pessimistic Standig believe they will take a big swing at QB if a QB that warranted a big swing surfaces.  Maybe it does.  Maybe it doesn't.  But I am going to wait for it to play out before I grade them.  I got almost no doubt that if a target emerges they will offer an over the top trade (they gave up what? kind of deal) to get their guy ala what the Rams did.  They are basically telegraphing that right now.

I do think though those that want them to fall in love with one of these QBs (granted pre Senior Bowl, maybe something changed) in the draft and would like to see them give up their 2023 first round pick and change to go up to #4 to grab their favorite QB in this draft will likely be dissappointed at least based on the leaks right now.   If a big target doesn't emerge feels like its Trubisky-Mariota-Jimmy G, with the best Qb left in the 2nd round and if things don't work out, they swing in the first in 2023.  I don't love that but I get the logic to it.  But even if I hated it, I am not condemning them for it unless it actually unfolds like that -- I am not attacking them for a thought that hasn't even played out, yet. 

Keim indicated that they were zeroed in on Pickett at #11, I think he was the only one and possibly, possibly Willis.  Other than those 2 they saw the others in the 2nd round

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Then Murray leaves in FA and follows Kingsbury.

Arizona can trade him but the team taking him on is taking a real big risk, and I'm betting Murray would have outlandish demands to extend his contract.

He's not an option at the moment. 

I know next to nothing about the situation, so I’m not disagreeing with you here, but….

1) surely a team only trades for Murray if they work out a LTD?  

2) are you suggesting Murray only cares about playing under Kingsbury and not money, legacy, not letting teammates down or love of the game?

and therefore…

3) maybe we can just sign Kingsbury to take over as our qb coach or OC and then we can get Murray for peanuts :)

Heck, let’s offer AZ a 7th round pick for Kingsbury, lol

I do agree that he’s not an option of course… barring something absolutely crazy happening.

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

And you think ARob would come here with Trubisky as our QB?

Depends on the Benjamins.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Depends on the Benjamins.

AND....in 2019-2020, Robinson averaged 100 catches and 1200 yards between the two seasons. Guess who his QB was?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I guess Kyler is going back to baseball. Once Kliff is fired; he’s not get an nfl head coaching job again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

AND....in 2019-2020, Robinson averaged 100 catches and 1200 yards between the two seasons. Guess who his QB was?

So because Robinson had over 1000 yards receiving with Trubisky at the helm that means he wants to play with him again? He probaby would have been an All Pro in those years if he had a decent QB throwing to him.

This is akin to saying Terry would follow Heinicke to another team because he had over 1000 yards receiving while playing with him. 

27 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Keim indicated that they were zeroed in on Pickett at #11, I think he was the only one and possibly, possibly Willis.  Other than those 2 they saw the others in the 2nd round

Keim was on the radio and said that?  I talked about what I heard on the podcasts, and some radio interviews, posted it here which is slightly different than what you are saying here.  With those slight differences being important distinctions.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim was on the radio and said that?  I talked about what I heard on the podcasts, and some radio interviews, posted it here which is slightly different than what you are saying here.  With those slight differences being important distinctions.

I thought it was you but didn't go back and look at all the post you posted to find it.  Thanks for clearing it up and apologize for taking things out of context.  :)