Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

6 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

This could be the down fall of Rivera .

I think we might be already on that path. It’s just a waiting period until he’s gone IMO. Year one Offseason and his unwillingness to sell off just to back in to the playoffs will be his undoing 

One thing is for sure, these are 2 guys that RR tried to get in here last year so you'd think they are again possibilities if everything else goes south.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/mar/1/washington-tried-acquire-marcus-mariota-raiders/?utm_source=GOOGLE&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=chacka&utm_campaign=TWT+-+DSA&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlO6TrLTw9QIVJAJMCh32ywIvEAMYASAAEgJTkfD_BwE

Washington ‘tried to acquire’ Marcus Mariota from Raiders

Washington coach Ron Rivera said last month his team would explore all options at quarterback this offseason. That apparently included trade talks with the Las Vegas Raiders.

According to The Athletic, Washington “tried to acquire” Marcus Mariota, the former 2015 second overall pick who spent last season in Las Vegas behind starter Derek Carr, Raiders.  Talks, however, have reportedly cooled off.

The report does not indicate why the negotiation fell apart but suggests Mariota‘s contract could be a factor. Though Mariota is set to make $10.75 million as a base salary next season, the deal contains bonuses that could expand the number to $22 million. The Athletic previously reported that league executives thought Mariota could be only worth a fifth rounder because of the contract structure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

That's a good pull but I think it depends on what you want to put your weights on. We can see guys like Brunell, Smith and McNabb who all had lower YPAs than Jimmy. They all had dominant WR/RBs who could get YAC. Heck McNabb had Jackson in his years before coming here. There's clearly a disparity between things like Air yards and YPA. I don't really have a horse in this race but I don't want to disqualify Jimmy because people think he's not qualified. If his best weapon is Deebo though, then what routes is Deebo running? And he's getting the ball in the hands of the weapon in a position for them to get YAC is something that Haskins and Heinicke struggled with. And don't we have a similar to SF offense with the whole multiple RB/WR flex position people who we want to get the ball in their hands. Basically Jimmy has shown he can run our offense better than we run it. 

I won't say I really want him, but I am not opposed to him and I think he is an upgrade to what we have. That said, your pull lets us know that it may be some frustrations like it was with Smith not hitting whoever our WR is that is going deep sometimes. But the difference from today is that we will know that Jimmy can do that, so teams won't be stacking the box daring him to do it. 

Judging by PFF metrics:  Jimmy G like Heinicke throws a lot of balls in harms way that can end up in picks.  Like Heinicke, he doesn't make many big time throws -- he has one of the worst grades on that front.  His average depth per target is one of the lowest in the league.  He's never thrown for 4000 yards.  Never hit 30 TDs and only had one season when he was even close.  Part of the problem is he always gets hurt.

I watched a couple of Jimmy G interviews on youtube, watched him mic'd up for a couple of games.  He's a charismatic guy, teammates seem to love him.  In that context it would feel very much like Brunell or Alex.   But my hunch is it would end up the same way with just some modest success and likely his injury history would follow him here.   

Only reason why I'd go for it is the premise that they'd draft someone too and they don't look at him as the long term answer.  If that's the case what the heck I wouldn't hate it if its a third rounder because they have little to lose.  Definitely better than Heinicke.  But if its he's the guy so lets throw away the key, problem solved, and give the dude a 3-4 year extension like Alex -- in that case Rivera IMO would be signing his coaching death warrant.  But I suspect that's not how it would work here -- at least that's the impression I get listening to Keim. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

From:  WalterFootball.com: 2022 NFL Free Agents - Quarterbacks

Choose who you will want to be your QB IF we go the FA route and none of the QB under contract minus JG are available for trade.  Who do you want?

Jameis Winston, QB, Saints. Age: 28. 
Jameis Winston failed to complete 60 percent of his passes in 2021, but he was surprisingly careful with the football. He threw 14 touchdowns and only three interceptions.

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Broncos. Age: 29. 

Teddy Bridgewater is a capable starting quarterback, capable of taking a team to the playoffs if everything around him is right. Bridgewater becomes a liability if things fall apart around him, however.

Marcus Mariota, QB, Raiders. Age: 28. 

I'd like to say that Marcus Mariota is a young quarterback with potential despite his final years in Tennessee, but he turns 29 just before Halloween.

Mitchell Trubisky, QB, Bills. Age: 28. 

Mitchell Trubisky never got a fair chance in Chicago because of Matt Nagy's incompetence. He's talented, so perhaps a better coaching staff can turn him into a viable quarterback.

Jacoby Brissett, QB, Dolphins. Age: 29. 

Jacoby Brissett was considered one of the top backup quarterbacks in the NFL heading into 2021. Perhaps that's still the case, but Brissett struggled in relief of Tua Tagovailoa, maintaining a poor 5.7 YPA. That said, the horrendous offensive line played a part.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Redskins. Age: 39. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't even play a half of football in 2021, suffering a season-ending hip injury. Perhaps he'll get another chance to start in 2022, but at 39, the end is near.

Geno Smith, QB, Seahawks. Age: 31. 

Geno Smith is one of the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL. He complated 68 percent of his passes and threw five touchdowns compared to one interception in relief of Russell Wilson.

Colt McCoy, QB, Cardinals. Age: 35. 
Colt McCoy proved to be one of the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL last year, winning multiple games against quality competition.

Andy Dalton, QB, Bears. Age: 34. 
Josh Johnson, QB, Ravens. Age: 36. 
Nick Mullens, QB, Browns. Age: 27. 
Tyrod Taylor, QB, Texans. Age: 33. 
Joe Flacco, QB, Jets. Age: 37. 
Tim Boyle, QB, Lions. Age: 27. 
Brandon Allen, QB, Bengals. Age: 29. 
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Buccaneers. Age: 32. 
Chad Henne, QB, Chiefs. Age: 37. 
Cam Newton, QB, Panthers. Age: 33. 
Chase Daniel, QB, Chargers. Age: 35. 
Mike Glennon, QB, Giants. Age: 32. 
Joshua Dobbs, QB, Steelers. Age: 27. 
Sean Mannion, QB, Vikings. Age: 30. 
A.J. McCarron, QB, Falcons. Age: 31. 
Garrett Gilbert, QB, Redskins. Age: 31. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

I think we might be already on that path. It’s just a waiting period until he’s gone IMO. Year one Offseason and his unwillingness to sell off just to back in to the playoffs will be his undoing 

It's got to be the right guy Stafford was probably it. They don't come around often. They will probably over pay for JimmyG which is a mistake because next year looks like it could be the year theof Qb draft and moves.

They should sign Trubisky for one or two years then look to move Sweat for a first round pick next year or a second and third. Make sure they can make they offer for that Vet or rookie Qb next year.

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

TK, by the sound of your reply there is like a 00000.1 % chance we can convince Seattle to trade with us for Russell Wilson.  I get the JG trade and that will never be in the equation but 3 1st, if RR and Co. were to give that up and Payne and or another DL player possibly, just possibly wouldn't be enough?  

Look. IF Seattle is going to part with Russel, they're going to HAVE to solve their question mark at a replacement QB & again, no GM/Coach is going ship him off without having that answer. Payne & anyone else on the DL do not play QB. Even giving up 3 firsts, you'll only 2 firsts in years 4 & 5 if Russell only has about 5 years left in the tank. Then you're right back where you started in trying to find that franchise qb. 

Now, if you sign Jimmy G then at least you have a cheaper stop gap at qb for another year.

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

It's got to be the right guy Stafford was probably it. They don't come around often. They will probably over pay for JimmyG which is a mistake because next year looks like it could be the year theof Qb draft and moves.

They should sign Trubisky for one or two years then look to move Sweat for a first round pick next year or a second and third. Make sure they can make they offer for that Vet or rookie Qb next year.

They won’t be in a position next year to draft a rookie either. That’s where the problem will continue to be. 

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Please remember that Sheehan fully supported the development of Dwayne Haskins until the mainstream media had concluded he would not work out in Washington.  Wilson

is not coming here if he is smart.  This morning Sheehan says he would prefer Deshawn Watson over Rogers and Wilson.  Ron is not going to bring Watson to Washington.

When it comes to evaluating quarterbacks most of us should not trust Sheehan's pronouncements because he is usually wrong.  I rarely listen to his show any more.  I like

Pete Medhurst on the same radio station in the afternoons.  While Sheehan may know how to bet on nfl games I really do not think he is a sports guru.  I agree with you that we do not have a quarterback to give in exchange.

Opinion and reporting are two different things.  And as for opinion, they all look like fools on some items, just like all of us here do.   If you state enough opinions, you will be wrong on a bunch of them.  Parcells liked to say the best personnel guys get 50% of things right.  So if any of us here or for that matter name that dude on talk radio could beat that, then they should be working in a FO versus wasting their time debating fellow fans.

You bring up Medhurst.  I like Medhurst.  But heck I recall him arguing with a dude on twitter where Medhurst was pushing that Kyle Trask is going to go in the top 15 of that draft before last years draft, he was very high on him.  Heck he even recently talked in retrospect aboiut liking Haskins before that draft.  I've heard him say Carson Strong is the top QB in this draft, will see how that pans out.

I don't care about Sheehan's opinons about what they should do.  I am interested in gossip shared that he's learned which he rarely does but when he does so I can't recall him ever being wrong -- last go of it was that they liked Fields in the last draft, he said that weeks before the draft.   We talked about it on the QB thread back then.  It came out a month or so ago from Keim that they tried to trade up for Fields.

As for Haskins, Sheehan hated him before the draft.  So did Cooley.  But like some others he was taken by the two games Haskins played well at the end of the season.   He wasn't the only media guy taken by those two games.  But I can't kill him for Haskins the way I killed him for Darnold because he wasn't a fan of him before the draft to say the least.  And he was perfectly fine when the moved on from him.  Regardless, though even if he got it all wrong with Haskins or whomever, its not a crime, we all get things wrong.  But opinion and reporting a fact are two different things.  I don't take anyones opinion as gospel.  Opinion is just opinion. 

3 minutes ago, TK said:

Look. IF Seattle is going to part with Russel, they're going to HAVE to solve their question mark at a replacement QB & again, no GM/Coach is going ship him off without having that answer. Payne & anyone else on the DL do not play QB. Even giving up 3 firsts, you'll only 2 firsts in years 4 & 5 if Russell only has about 5 years left in the tank. Then you're right back where you started in trying to find that franchise qb. 

Now, if you sign Jimmy G then at least you have a cheaper stop gap at qb for another year.

Well, I'm not a JG fan.  He's broken down and we'd assume a new contract extension worth millions of dollars into the future which can be used for extensions on our own players.  I hope we go the route of FA QB bridge and draft a QB (Pickett) as he seems via sports beat reporting at #11 or one in the 2nd round.  Wait and see, I guess.  Thanks for the info.  

8 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

They won’t be in a position next year to draft a rookie either. That’s where the problem will continue to be. 

Rite now they will not they are probably a game or two above or below 500.  We need to get a couple of picks for a Sweat or someone so we can make a move next year.

Edited by Redskins 2021

One additional point I'd like to make about how we got here, and how this is (in a lot of ways) a combination of Dan's fault, general screw-ups, and bad effing luck.  I'm not going to go into the mis-management of the QB situation literally from 1994 when we drafted Heath Shuler until today, but I could, and we'd all want to find the tallest building we could and go all Tommen face first right off of it.  (Gif for your viewing pleasure at the end of this post.)

But let's start with 2018:

2018: SCREW UP - Complete mismanagement of the Kirk Cousins contract situation, allowing Kirk to leave via free agency for virtually nothing.  If Kirk wasn't going to stay (and I don't think he was) they needed to trade him before 2018, and get assets and get a new QB.  This whole mess was a screw up.

2018: SCREW UP - Giving Alex Smith a big contract extension.  I didn't really have any problem with the signing of Smith.  I had a problem with the length and amount of guaranteed money they gave a QB in his mid-30's who was good but not great.  He did some good things while he was here. But even if he didn't get hurt, the contract was going to be limiting. 

2018: BAD LUCK - Alex has his leg basically torn off akin to stepping on a land mine, and has to miss basically 2 full seasons.  (Remarkable, best comeback story of all time, though). But that's just amazingly bad luck.  He tears his ACL, Achilles, broken ankle, whatever "normal" football injury,  he's probably back for 2020. The chances of this are SO slim. That's just amazingly bad luck.    

2019: SCREW UP - Dan overrides everybody to draft Haskins, who was over-drafted by a round, and then saddles his coach with a QB he didn't want.  Say what you want about Jay, and I can say (and have said) plenty, but that wasn't fair to Jay at all in a season where he needed to win.  @Skinsinparadise (see, I think I'm softening on Jay...)

** I considered putting something in if the 'Skins had lost one more game, they would have had the #1 pick and could have picked Burrow.  HOWEVER, context: the Bengals entered week 16 knowing they had the #1 pick locked up at 1-14.  They won a meaningless game against the Browns.  If they needed to lose that game to get the #1 pick, I think they would have found a way to play enough players who would have lost that game and retained the #1 pick. 

2020: BAD LUCK - COVID eliminated the entire off-season, and basically didn't allow Ron to realize Dwayne had basically no interest in being a QB. Ron couldn't ditch Haskins (and really shouldn't have) without at least seeing him on the field a few times, either in practice, the pre-season, or games.  Well, there weren't OTAs or Mini-camps.  There weren't pre-season games.  So, they kindof had to give him that chance in training camp an then the beginning of the season.  I really think if they had known he was a bum right after the draft during the first set of off-season practices, they would have either gone with Kyle Allen immediately or found another solution somehow for 2020.  But they didn't have the opportunity. And you're just not going to give up on the #15 pick 1 year in without some evidence he can't play for this coaching staff.

2021: BAD LUCK - They tried to trade for Stafford and the Rams offered an amazing deal which honestly couldn't be topped.  And Stafford wanted to go to LA to be with Sean.  

2021: Draft.  So...  I don't know what this goes into, but they COULD have traded up to 8 and drafted Fields.  But it would have taken a lot to do so.  The BAD LUCK component is by winning the NFC East, they were picking at #19.  And with where the other NFC East teams were picking, they had to get ahead of the Giants.  I don't really fault them for not sending probably 2 additional firsts and a player to move up 11 spots for Fields. The trade would have been akin to the Griffin trade in what they had to give up, maybe a little less, but with Griffin, they were going up to #2 to get what everybody thought was a generational talent.  (Oh, we were all sweet summer children, weren't we?) They probably could have moved up a few spots and picked up Jones. I'm not sure that really was the answer either.  You could say they SHOULD have done SOMETHING, and by not doing something, it was a SCREW UP, because it directly led to the situation we're in now, and I would completely agree with that sentiment.  

2021: BAD LUCK - Fitzpatrick gets hurt in the first half of the first game.  Signing Fitzy was a fine "defensive" move which gives you a capable NFL QB.  Having him go down in the first half of the first game, was really bad luck.  It resulted in TH playing the entire season, which was NEVER the plan.  Ron knew you couldn't win with TH as a full time starter, which is why they signed Fitz to start. 

I think a lot of people feel like Fitz would have been about the same as TH.  I don't.  I think Fitz would have had a slow-ish start to the season because it was a new offense to him, but as he got comfortable, and Scott Turner got comfortable with him, I think he would have been a whole lot more effective, and would have provided more consistent good QB play. We'll never know for sure.  But that's my gut based on Fitz's recent history.  

Now, you could argue by going that route, the plan was entirely screwed up, because we would have been in basically the same situation we're in now: only TH under contract, probably a worse draft pick, and the same crop of FAs and draft picks available. But if Fitz played well, they could have signed him to another 1 year deal, and pushed this off again, while still remaining competitive.  Shrug.  So I grant you, the lack of foresight into this off-season was a SCREW UP.  

And now, Tommen:

Game Of Thrones Tommen GIF - Game Of Thrones Tommen Jumps Out Of Window -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Choose who you will want to be your QB IF we go the FA route and none of the QB under contract minus JG are available for trade.  Who do you want?

1.   Marcus Mariota, QB, Raiders. Age: 28. 

I'd like to say that Marcus Mariota is a young quarterback with potential despite his final years in Tennessee, but he turns 29 just before Halloween.

That dude by a good margin,  And then #2 him below and beyond those 2, I am not interested even a little in the others.

14 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Mitchell Trubisky never got a fair chance in Chicago because of Matt Nagy's incompetence. He's talented, so perhaps a better coaching staff can turn him into a viable quarterback. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

It's a wait and see thing, people.  It has to play out.  Right now, JG will require a contract extension.  IF RR and Co. give him even a year or two extension, I call fail!  I think or rather I say HOPE it plays out with a FA QB bridge gap (Tribrusky/Mariota) whoever they think is the best and draft a QB in RD1 or RD2. 

• Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Jameis Winston, QB, Saints. Age: 28. 
Jameis Winston failed to complete 60 percent of his passes in 2021, but he was surprisingly careful with the football. He threw 14 touchdowns and only three interceptions.

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Broncos. Age: 29. 

Teddy Bridgewater is a capable starting quarterback, capable of taking a team to the playoffs if everything around him is right. Bridgewater becomes a liability if things fall apart around him, however.

Marcus Mariota, QB, Raiders. Age: 28. 

Jacoby Brissett, QB, Dolphins. Age: 29. 

Jacoby Brissett was considered one of the top backup quarterbacks in the NFL heading into 2021. Perhaps that's still the case, but Brissett struggled in relief of Tua Tagovailoa, maintaining a poor 5.7 YPA. That said, the horrendous offensive line played a part.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Redskins. Age: 39. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick didn't even play a half of football in 2021, suffering a season-ending hip injury. Perhaps he'll get another chance to start in 2022, but at 39, the end is near.

Geno Smith, QB, Seahawks. Age: 31. 

Geno Smith is one of the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL. He complated 68 percent of his passes and threw five touchdowns compared to one interception in relief of Russell Wilson.

Colt McCoy, QB, Cardinals. Age: 35. 
Colt McCoy proved to be one of the best backup quarterbacks in the NFL last year, winning multiple games against quality competition.

Andy Dalton, QB, Bears. Age: 34. 
Josh Johnson, QB, Ravens. Age: 36. 
Nick Mullens, QB, Browns. Age: 27. 
Tyrod Taylor, QB, Texans. Age: 33. 
Joe Flacco, QB, Jets. Age: 37. 
Tim Boyle, QB, Lions. Age: 27. 
Brandon Allen, QB, Bengals. Age: 29. 
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Buccaneers. Age: 32. 
Chad Henne, QB, Chiefs. Age: 37. 
Cam Newton, QB, Panthers. Age: 33. 
Chase Daniel, QB, Chargers. Age: 35. 
Mike Glennon, QB, Giants. Age: 32. 
Joshua Dobbs, QB, Steelers. Age: 27. 
Sean Mannion, QB, Vikings. Age: 30. 
A.J. McCarron, QB, Falcons. Age: 31. 
Garrett Gilbert, QB, Redskins. Age: 31. 

Trubisky had some past succes some talent he would be ok to give a second chance.

Stay away from Marrota  always injured 

Tyrod Taylor he has been ok at most of the places he has been .Will be cheap.

Winston I don't trust and I heard he may go back to Tampa.

Next years draft will have C Stroud, B. Young, plus the Clemson Qb will take a big step next year all potential Franchise Qb. With these three alot of teams will be looking to get a young Qb or trade a vet for opportunity to get one. This is beyond frustrating but we got to make the right move.

Edited by Redskins 2021

If Wilson hits the market, we could have the same issue we had when competing with the Bears for Cutler.  Denver didn't care for Jason Campbell and preferred Kyle Orton.

Heinicke being our guy ironically likely ends up what kills a deal if it became in play, almost every other team can offer a more enticing QB.

Like I said earlier this morning, we might need to try to work out a three way deal where we'd get a Qb for Seattle elsewhere which obviously wouldn't be easy to do

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2020: BAD LUCK - COVID eliminated the entire off-season, and basically didn't allow Ron to realize Dwayne had basically no interest in being a QB. Ron couldn't ditch Haskins (and really shouldn't have) without at least seeing him on the field a few times, either in practice, the pre-season, or games.  Well, there weren't OTAs or Mini-camps.  There weren't pre-season games.  So, they kindof had to give him that chance in training camp an then the beginning of the season.  I really think if they had known he was a bum right after the draft during the first set of off-season practices, they would have either gone with Kyle Allen immediately or found another solution somehow for 2020.  But they didn't have the opportunity. And you're just not going to give up on the #15 pick 1 year in without some evidence he can't play for this coaching staff.

I say it was a screw up. Alex shouldnt have been on the roster. Dwayne should have played more. You know the season and future is bust if you know Dwayne isnt your guy so just ride it out and get your draft pick. 

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

probably 2 additional firsts and a player to move up 11 spots for Fields.

Which if they bypass QB again this year is likely what they will have to do next year to move into the top 3-5 for one of the QBs. Its a complete lack of understanding of what the position is and the costs associated with it. 

Ultimately I think the grand plan was to showcase the entire team to entice one of the elite guys this offseason as being THE PLACE to play. The defense however failed on their end and the coaching staff completely over estimated how good it was. They didnt realize how much help they got by the trash QBs they played in 2020. How they couldnt see the difference in how the defense played in playing Nick Mullins instead of the likes of Matt Stafford escapes me. 

Edited by Zim489

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Wilson hits the market, we could have the same issue we had when competing with the Bears for Cutler.  Denver didn't care for Jason Campbell and preferred Kyle Orton.

Heinicke being our guy ironically likely ends up what kills a deal if it became in play, almost every other team can offer a more enticing QB.

Like I said earlier this morning, we might need to try to work out a three way deal where we'd get a Qb for Seattle elsewhere which obviously wouldn't be easy to do

Russ does have a no trade clause.  He can dictate where he wants to go.

29 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

This is why not getting Stafford was so bad. We really needed to make that trade. This could be the down fall of Rivera .

There is no chance of that trade happening.  The Lions were going to do Stafford a solid by sending him to the place he wanted to go.  He wanted to go to LA with Sean.  We literally couldn't have offered what the Rams did because they sent back a starting QB who the new GM had picked.  

It's bad luck it happened that way, but those are the breaks.  You can't FORCE a team to accept your trade offer.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Russ does have a no trade clause.  He can dictate where he wants to go.

Yeah we all know, its been the crux of the whole Wilson discussion here. 

What does that have to with my post?

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Just saw this crazy but I think someone will.

I saw that too. I toyed with posting it but decided not to because I was getting tried of the Jimmy G debate, it kind of depresses me a little. 😢