Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

A major QB move defines your franchise  for the next several years, so I would certainly expect an owner to want some involvement or at least sign off.

You also gotta wonder how the current GM, Patton I think, will operate sans oversight. Is this free time to wheel and deal as you see fit, or do you reserve yourself. How confident are you in your own position if a new owner is coming in? Can you safely morgage your future, when you own future is unsecure? Odd situation there.

I could see that two. I think they traded Von Miller for those extra picks to make a QB move.

My fear wirh Wilson is him coming back from injury is even weeks after being healthy he wasnt looking hot. 

is he another Mcnabb. I’ve also never been big on him. He runs from clean pockets and is very hard to play within a scheme. He’s great at making plays but will that translate as he ages and his playmaking naturally decreases. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm a bit weary of Wilson too. People forget he came into the league and turned 24 his rookie year. He's going to be 34 this season. Not ancient, but for a QB who is reliant on some of his mobility and has seen a downward trajectory in his play in recent years, he's probably the last player on the list that I would want.

1. Watson - 10+ years of Top 5-10 QB play, mobile

2. Rodgers - 2-3 years of likely elite play

3. Wilson - Solid option that should make you a playoff contendor for the nxt 5 years

Important to note, though, that Watson was the 12th pick in a "down" draft for QBs. Mahomes was the 10th pick in the same draft. Rodgers was the #2 pick off the board in the 20's his draft year. Wilson was a 3rd round pick.

If you think there's a guy in this draft that can be that, you prioritize that. Unfortunately we are in a win-now mode, so the veteran is likeliest option, but obviously hitting on a R1 QB without giving up significant draft capital would be the best way to build the team from a pick and cap standpoint, BY FAR.

From a pure talent evaluation standpoint I have NO idea how this year stacks up to 2017 BUT I am getting similar 2017 vibes. I remember very distinctly in January or February watching First Take or something at the gym and them talking up Mitch Trubisky, but talking about how he wasn't the #2 best prospect and none of the QBs were really worthy of that level of investment, but QBs would be driven up the board because of need. And the debate was whether Trubsiky or Watson was the top guy, no real chatter about Mahomes other than him possibly being a mid round guy with upside. Seems like the same thing this year ... no sure-fire #1 guy ... and 4-5 options that could fall throughout the 1st round with no (yet) concensus.

2. Trubisky

10. Mahomes

12. Watson

If there's a QB that Ron and Co really like this year and they can be had at #11, that's obviously the most preferable path. Pair him with a Trubisky or another veteran so there isn't a pressure to start right away, and I think that's the ideal path, but also the least predictable and controllable option.

Do you know what the rumored offer we made for Matt Stafford last year.

We have not drafted a franchise QB since Sammy Baugh and we've spent quite a few high picks looking. Norm Snead did get us Sonny but Norm himself was just a journeyman. I guess you could argue that Theisman was sort of a draft pick. In the big trade, two successes in Sonny and Joe but also two big fails (both recent). In combo (trade up for high pick), we also have two recent fails.

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Plus no team is going to give up more than 2 ones for him. I wouldn’t be surprised if Aaron just ups and quits in a year or two 

1 hour ago, Redskins 2021 said:

That my worst fear with him 5 games in he decides to retire. That would be typical Washington luck.

1 hour ago, rumplestilskin said:

Thats what my fear is with him and Wilson. Rodgers is kind of going nuts or a mid lifer and Wilson appears a little chubby and sleepy. LOL

This is actually one of my big issues with thinking of trading for Rodgers. The dude is such a flake and a drama queen that there's no telling what he'd do. He might just one day decide to retire because someone said something that pissed him off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is actually one of my big issues with thinking of trading for Rodgers. The dude is such a flake and a drama queen that there's no telling what he'd do. He might just one day decide to retire because someone said something that pissed him off.

Rodgers reminds me of an interview with Kirk Douglas (iirc):

Interviewer: Why has success turned you into such an asshole (not the words used but what might be asked today)?

Douglass: I've always been an asshole, success has just allowed me to be myself.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I still like are chances for a qb. I get the feeling they are going to bring in a name bigger then Trubisky and Mariota.

Rebranding of team and Coach Rivera it appears is feeling the heat they want to go big.

Denver wants Rodgers I think they could get him. If he moves

Nyg we don't know but they will do something with firing and Jones injury but I think Wilson before Watson 

Sea could move Wilson maybe 2 first and Tua.

New orleans will probably keep Winston due to cap they were good before he got hurt.

Phil will give Hurts another year

Carolina will do something but they gave up alot for Darnold. They will due something 

Miami appears to be out on Watson but they could make move.

Pitt we don't know what they will due

Cleveland Qb can be had 

Minnesota is unknown 

Lv has Carr don't think he will be traded

I think they will take a shot for Watson. It's Synder style and Rivera is desperate. I don't know if they will get him but I think they are going to go all out.

After him I think they will try to get Mayfield he a name and serviceable with chance to get better. Cleveland will go for Cousins. Mayfield will cost this years first pick. May or May not be worth this or a rookie I will try this.

I think Watson make us 11 win dark horse team for superbowl but it's going to cost. Mayfield was terrible this year was it injuries I don't know? I don't know what he makes us. The last move would be rookie with Trubisky or Marrota maybe we get nine wins with them. 

Cousins is a 45 million cap hit. I think. Minny is likely stuck with him for one more year.

I am sure the Commanders will swing for the big names and miss.

We will end up with Mariotta or Tribusky and there’s no guarantee we also draft someone.

I don’t see Watson situation resolved this year.

Rodgers could just retire after winning the Super Bowl.

11 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Cousins is a 45 million cap hit. I think. Minny is likely stuck with him for one more year.

I am sure the Commanders will swing for the big names and miss.

We will end up with Mariotta or Tribusky and there’s no guarantee we also draft someone.

I don’t see Watson situation resolved this year.

Rodgers could just retire after winning the Super Bowl.

Can they rework the Cousins deal?

Rodgers is my #1 target and the more I think about it, the more I think it's plausible.

Reason being, with a defensive-minded HC and a young OC, ARod would have the level of influence he craves in molding the offense and even the offensive personnel around what he wants. With our cap room, if Aaron wants us to sign Davante Adams who's going to be a FA then we can sign Davante Adams. If he wants to tweak the scheme, then he can tweak the scheme. What, is Scott Turner going to tell him no?

Aaron immediately becomes the Face of the Re-Branded Franchise with Chase, Terry, and Jon. The NFC East is always competitive and the NFC path to the Super Bowl avoids KC, BAL, and BUF (I think LAR, SF, ARI are not as scary as the AFC side). It's an historic franchise at an historic crossroads, so not like he's going from Green Bay to Jacksonville. Hell, Lombardi himself used to coach here.

Rivera is a respected coach and honestly, Aaron is clearly no stranger to controversy/drama anyway so I don't think the off-field noise would much bother him.

Last summer we swung for Stafford but Rivera messaged not wanting to give up too much. This year, the message is we're all-in. So why not here?

7 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Rodgers is my #1 target and the more I think about it, the more I think it's plausible.

Reason being, with a defensive-minded HC and a young OC, ARod would have the level of influence he craves in molding the offense and even the offensive personnel around what he wants. With our cap room, if Aaron wants us to sign Davante Adams who's going to be a FA then we can sign Davante Adams. If he wants to tweak the scheme, then he can tweak the scheme. What, is Scott Turner going to tell him no?

Aaron immediately becomes the Face of the Re-Branded Franchise with Chase, Terry, and Jon. The NFC East is always competitive and the NFC path to the Super Bowl avoids KC, BAL, and BUF (I think LAR, SF, ARI are not as scary as the AFC side). It's an historic franchise at an historic crossroads, so not like he's going from Green Bay to Jacksonville. Hell, Lombardi himself used to coach here.

Rivera is a respected coach and honestly, Aaron is clearly no stranger to controversy/drama anyway so I don't think the off-field noise would much bother him.

Last summer we swung for Stafford but Rivera messaged not wanting to give up too much. This year, the message is we're all-in. So why not here?

He still under contract it's unlikely they will let him go to nfc team especially a team that plays packers next year. I think they will try to get him.

Edited by Redskins 2021

Just now, Redskins 2021 said:

He still under contract it's unlikely they will let him go to nfc team especially a team that plays packers next year.

He's stubborn enough to be able to pick his destination by basically refusing to play anywhere other than where he decides he wants to be, and if the trade compensation is big enough then GB will get over the heartburn of trading within the conference.

There was a bunch of smoke about Watson to Miami and MIA/HOU are both AFC teams.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The OL is more than good enough to win with. This ain't the 80s anymore, nobody just has a dominant Hog like OL. Most sacks/pressures are actually the fault of the QB.

I'm a broken record but if we just added a couple of more weapons on offense I think we have the QB to win. Add a Deebo and Kittle like SF has to our offense, commit to running the ball and we are in business as long as our defense plays the way it should. I know it's hard to find guys like this but SF plays a smashmouth brand of football and we have that kind of offensive line based on the PFF stats. We really missed Logan Thomas this season and not getting a thing out of Curtis Samuel really hurt too. IF, IF, IF....we can't upgrade at QB then I would spend a large part of that cap money we have on the best playmakers, offense and defense that I could get. Deebo Samuel and George Kittle make Jimmy G a better QB without question. I think that can happen here if we spend wisely.

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

He's stubborn enough to be able to pick his destination by basically refusing to play anywhere other than where he decides he wants to be, and if the trade compensation is big enough then GB will get over the heartburn of trading within the conference.

There was a bunch of smoke about Watson to Miami and MIA/HOU are both AFC teams.

I know I am not sure he moves but another problem looks like Denver in on him they dumped Von Miller for picks and looks like they may hire gb offensive coordinator. I am sure we will be in thought. Would be nice.

Edited by Redskins 2021

3 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I know I am not sure he moves but another problem looks like Denver in on him they dumped Von Miller for picks and looks like they may hire gb offensive coordinator. I am sure we will be in thought. Would be nice.

Yeah no guarantees for sure. There will be other motivated suitors with compelling situations for him but I do think we will be in the conversation and not laughed off.

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

I'd welcome Russell Wilson here but not on a "last huge paycheck of my career" contract.  More like a 2-3 season "prove you still got it" kind of contract.  Not sure he would even be willing to go for that though.  

His wife would never let that happen.Plus we weren’t on his list.

36 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

He's a west coast guy. Highly doubt he has any desire to come to DC

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Not only this but he's extremely thin skinned and our media would constantly set him off.  LOL

• Like 1