Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

20 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think Howell is showing the growing pains of any young QB. But I stand by my prediction that he will make too many plays/throws to keep him off the field. 

In the end, it’s about getting us into the end zone on a regular basis. I think he will get us there more than Brissett.

It’s also nice to have a solid defense to cover up some of those inevitable mistakes. 

Yep that’s it right there. I also hope the influence of EB will override the cautious nature of the incorrectly named Riverboat Ron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Is it me or in each of @HigSkin s 3 Rivera statements you could take them as huge positives or he is young and doing well but we like the experienced one better?

I see it as positives too @DWinzit as if he's done nothing to lose it.  I was listening to one of the local reporters podcast and forget who it was but said Howell just has so much more athletic potential and it showed vs Brissett in these OTA's.  I hated the comparisons used for him young Wentz+ (live arm/mobility) vs Brissett's Alex Smith (checkdowns/throw aways) but whatever.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Feel like this batch of OTA's somehow had more stuff, or more impact, or more... something. Normally OTA's are whatever, nobody really cares until training camp. Yet this batch has the media talking about it seriously. Maybe the extra emphasis on scheme being installed is the reason?

I get the impression the media thinks these OTA's matter more compared to years past. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, a bad thing, or what.

32 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Feel like this batch of OTA's somehow had more stuff, or more impact, or more... something. Normally OTA's are whatever, nobody really cares until training camp. Yet this batch has the media talking about it seriously. Maybe the extra emphasis on scheme being installed is the reason?

I get the impression the media thinks these OTA's matter more compared to years past. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, a bad thing, or what.

Probably more to do with reporters being excited about new ownership.

Still we are on the cusp. If sam hits and our o-line can surprise us, we are strong except mabye TE or LB but even there we are serviceable

• Like 1

https://www.commanders.com/news/minicamp-notebook-sam-howell-has-skill-set-that-excites-commanders

Thursday's practice marked the end of mandatory minicamp, and by now, the Washington Commanders have gotten a decent body of work from Sam Howell as the incumbent starting quarterback.

The results were about what one would expect from a second-year signal-caller. There are some areas that Howell will need to smooth out during training camp, but there have also been moments that show why the Commanders are confident about giving him every opportunity to earn the starting job for the season.

As the offseason workout program begins to wind down, coach Ron Rivera and the team remain comfortable with how things have gone at the position. Howell will remain the "QB1" for now with Jacoby Brissett filling in as the backup.

"We know he's young. He's a second-year player who got an opportunity to start last year, but there is a lot of room for growth," Rivera said. "We know that, but he's got a good skill set."

Howell has shown more good than bad in his reps leading the starting offense. Many of his positive traits, such as his decision making, quick twitch and arm talent, shined throughout the offseason. He's established a strong connection with Washington's tight ends, and he isn't afraid of giving players chances to make plays. That was the case on the first snap of 7-on-7 drills, when he aired out a shot to Terry McLaurin in the end zone.

But, as a younger player, Howell still has more to learn. Rivera touched on that following Thursday's practice, saying that he would still like to see Howell continue to improve his footwork.

"That's probably one of the things you always want these young guys to understand how important it is, especially coming from one program to another," Rivera said. "You've gotta understand that it's a little bit different. The speed is a little bit different, so we've gotta make sure those things are corrected."

The good news is that Howell's hasn't done anything to make Washington question its decision to give him a shot as "QB1." Rivera liked a lot of the decisions he made on the field, and he appreciates the extra work Howell has put in so far.

"He is still learning to make those decisions, but he's also got the arm talent and that's the thing that that excites us."

• Like 3

I'm thankful to see that Ron clarified that Sam is young and that they do indeed know that he's young. It would be concerning for Sam to be young and for the staff to think he's old. Or even worse, that Sam is old but the staff thinks he's young.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 13

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I'm thankful to see that Ron clarified that Sam is young and that they do indeed know that he's young. It would be concerning for Sam to be young and for the staff to think he's old. Or even worse, that Sam is old but the staff thinks he's young.

Ron’s not getting any better with his communication skills is he.

• Like 3

For what it's worth, Logan Paulsen was pleased with Howell's OTA's and Minicamp per his appearance on Standig's podcast.  Mentioned that he'd charted Sam's last couple of practices and that it shakes out pretty positively, with some of the plus plays he's made not really being the type that will wow media onlookers but will end up mattering.

Sam will have ups and downs. He will

look like the answer one day and the next, you will be talking draft position.

He will likely get benched for a bit, returning after Jacoby doesn’t nothing. He will spend his bench time learning and come back better.

His season will be a mixed bag. Not enough to prevent Josh and his new team from getting a qb in 24. Sam may even start the season in 24, until the rookie is ready.

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

His season will be a mixed bag. Not enough to prevent Josh and his new team from getting a qb in 24. Sam may even start the season in 24, until the rookie is ready.

Based on what? Curious to hear some

detailed reasons. 

I have reached no conclusion on him, but believe his run ability is being undervalued and will be impactful from day 1. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah there are things Rivera does well but communication is NOT one of them.

What’s interesting is I bet he’s really good communicating 1:1, or in small groups.  

He doesn’t do well with press conferences.  But it’s possible he just doesn’t care that much and says whatever pops into his mind at that moment.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Based on what? Curious to hear some

detailed reasons. 

I have reached no conclusion on him, but believe his run ability is being undervalued and will be impactful from day 1. 

This is a good point. During OTAs, you're going to hammer home the pocket passing principles and look for Sam to stand tall and make the right decision rep after rep after rep.

Once the season starts, you're going to move him around and let him use his legs as a crutch to buy time while he continues ramping up on the pocket passing.   

• Like 2

He's basically going to be a rookie as the Starting QB this season.  What we want to see is his skill set on display, learning from mistakes in-game, and the ability to put the offense on his shoulders in certain situations.  What we can't expect are performances equaling Top 10 QBs who have been in the league 3-4 seasons.  Regardless of his ceiling, his level of play isn't going to be there yet.   I am hoping for the a trajectory similar to Hurts.  All we need to see this season is that he shows he  can/will be THE GUY going forward.  Once he does enough to convince the front office & coaches,(an IF at this point, admittingly) then you go into full-on stack talent around Sam mode. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

This is a good point. During OTAs, you're going to hammer home the pocket passing principles and look for Sam to stand tall and make the right decision rep after rep after rep.

Once the season starts, you're going to move him around and let him use his legs as a crutch to buy time while he continues ramping up on the pocket passing.   

Minor point relating to this, but one that I was pretty jazzed about - the idea that they actually practice off platform throws - ie planning for things to go sideways. 

12 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

He's basically going to be a rookie as the Starting QB this season.  What we want to see is his skill set on display, learning from mistakes in-game, and the ability to put the offense on his shoulders in certain situations.  What we can't expect are performances equaling Top 10 QBs who have been in the league 3-4 seasons.  Regardless of his ceiling, his level of play isn't going to be there yet.   I am hoping for the a trajectory similar to Hurts.  All we need to see this season is that he shows he  can/will be THE GUY going forward.  Once he does enough to convince the front office & coaches,(an IF at this point, admittingly) then you go into full-on stack talent around Sam mode. 

100% expect performances like top 10 guys here and there. No way do I expect it to be nearly as consistent, but must see those ceilings for drives, quarters, halves and sometimes games. 

EB will hopefully be a difference making OC and be consistently a step ahead of defenses assisting Howell in performing like an elite guy intermittently. The supporting cast is elite, some (not saying you) are underestimating this. 

15 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

For sure!

Backyard football ability is a very close second to being accurate for me when evaluating a QB. Howells backyard ability has an elite ceiling and the biggest reason I’m hopeful he can enter into category of competency while on a rookie contract. 

15 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

His natural inclination is to play make with the football when baseline comfort level is exposed situationally in the pocket. Fortunately it seems he’s been playmaking his whole football life and has gained many reps. 

50 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Minor point relating to this, but one that I was pretty jazzed about - the idea that they actually practice off platform throws - ie planning for things to go sideways. 

How about that? These Elements should be practiced as much as the 3,5, and 7 step drops. 

Once establishing a baseline competency level within an offense it becomes about the QB who can best play backyard football. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Kids got such a ridiculous arm and have probably the second fastest WRs.

Seems like his effortless zone/flick is about 45-55 yards or so. Good arm strength! 

Backyard abilities is the key, especially early on IMO.