Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Anybody working this hard, that's this disciplined and  committed to making their dream become reality gets my complete support  and admiration...

Commanders QB Sam Howell Feeling 'Better' in Eric Bieniemy's System

Commanders starting quarterback to be Sam Howell is feeling more confident in Eric Bieniemy's offense, due in part to studying film of Kansas City of previous years.

ADAM SCHULTZ

Washington Commanders second-year quarterback Sam Howell is on a steep learning curve this offseason. With only one regular season appearance under his belt, Howell is now getting used to a new offensive system with Eric Bieniemy taking over as offensive coordinator from Scott Turner.

With the Chiefs having vast amounts of success with Bieniemy, Howell has revealed that when he found out that "EB" was coming to Washington, he immediately started studying tape of the Chiefs offense.

“I feel like I’m a lot better,” Howell said, via ESPN. “Once I knew we had E.B. [Bieniemy] I was watching Kansas City film and seeing what they were doing. I was able to match up my footwork.”

That kind of commitment is exactly what head coach Ron Rivera wants to see as the franchise has put all its eggs into the "Sam Howell basket" this upcoming season.

With OTA's and now minicamp done, players are on a break before training camp begins. But for Howell, the learning continues as the Commanders have the quarterback studying his plays from practice and how he communicates with his teammates in the huddle.

“It’s something I’ve really never heard before,” Howell said. “Coach EB says it all the time, to overcommunicate clarity. Just saying one more word, one more code word that means something they need to hear.”

This kind of learning might seem odd from the outside, but anything Howell can do to make himself better and his teammates, and the offense better will pay dividends during the season.

He is embarking on a different journey as Washington's starter to be, but Howell loves every minute of it, with Bieniemy doing his best to make sure his quarterback is ready for the regular season.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, zCommander said:

Not having he same exact scheme as the Chief will be the wrinkle of course and they haven't seen Howell play so that is double trouble so to speak for them. :D

I see your point... Howell is basically Mahomes with a better arm so our O is KC offense X 2, they cant stop us!

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, oraphus said:

I see your point... Howell is basically Mahomes with a better arm so our O is KC offense X 2, they cant stop us!

Since I really wasn't saying Howell is better than Mahomes and it was really about scheme and the unknown of Howell play.... But since you brought it up I will even take Howell 50% of Mahomes any day! :)

Edited by zCommander

On 6/18/2023 at 1:18 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Okay, so your definition of elite is somewhere between unknown to potential to average to good. Somewhere in there. Basically, every starter in the NFL is elite.

The skill positions as whole together have an elite ceiling. It’s not pure speculation, they’ve all produced at a high level within their roles. Combine it all together, they have a chance to be elite. 

What does it mean? Nothing. They must go out and produce. I believe EB and a modern offense provides a chance to realize an elite ceiling. 

Elite to me means the best. So, is Terry better than every WR in the East? 

It can be debated, but most (I assume) will say AJ Brown has the edge. AJ was a 1k yard per season guy before entering an elite modern day offense that elevated his numbers to “elite”. Lets hope for “us” Washington fans this can take place for Terry. 

and it's not accolades, it's achievements. You saying that Terry is better than Jefferson? 

Nope. 

Funny, I took a hit a while back, because my comparision for Terry is Tim Brown. I think Brown was every bit as good as Rice, but because his career QB situation was so bad, while Rice played on elite teams, with 2.5 HoF QBs, he had an easier path.

I'll assume that you think Tim brown was as good or better than Jerry Rice than.

Randy Moss. 

I was too young during their primes to provide any worthy context. Rice benefitted greatly from being the focal point of a transcendent offense that emphasized utilizing strengths of Rice. 

Tim Brown took awhile to get going in his career, no catching Rice statistically after that. 

I always felt McLaurin's really good, and with a decent QB (like Peyton Manning) he could be something like Marvin Harrison. 

Granted, they had different WR roles, and played in different times, but I saw a lot of similarities (especially how they won the contested passes, and how they juke to loosen the coverage).

That said, it's a different passing game now, and McLaurin will need a better QB play plus the good fortune and durability to play for 10-12 years.   

So I'd classify Terry as ... "elite-in-waiting"

Edited by Wyvern

22 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

The big question to me is will we see designed runs for Howell.

I predict no, that the offense will be quick passing misdirection 50/50 run pass split and of course we will see the occasional deep ball to keep everyone happy.

I think we'll see a ton of RPO.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not sure. I don't think they run a ton of it, but Howells running ability is special.

And frankly, if I’m calling plays, I’m a lot less nervous about Howell getting hurt than Mahomes… and I’m not just talking about body composition.

Of course (in case anyone was in doubt) I’m not calling plays :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not sure. I don't think they run a ton of it, but Howells running ability is special.

I get it but I'd rather have our platoon of RB's do the running. Let Howell dispense the ball and hopefully develop into our QB for a decade or so.

With Turner gone I sure hope the days of 9 sacks against is a thing of the past. I do think EB will prioritize not letting Howell sit in the pocket on 7SDs all day regardless of the OL strengths and weaknesses. I would love for Howell to learn a fraction of the Mahomes elusiveness / wizardry to make things happen. I call bunk that QBs cannot be taught at all how to do it that either they have it or not. PRACTICE that **** instead of practicing as if every play went off without a hitch.

Are broken pass plays even practiced enough for a QB to learn? Even if there is a significant amount with virtually zero QB hits in camp they are fearless and its simply not the same as on game day.

Edited by RandyHolt

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

With Turner gone I sure hope the days of 9 sacks against is a thing of the past. I do think EB will prioritize not letting Howell sit in the pocket on 7SDs all day regardless of the OL strengths and weaknesses. I would love for Howell to learn a fraction of the Mahomes elusiveness / wizardry to make things happen. I call bunk that QBs cannot be taught at all how to do it that either they have it or not. PRACTICE that **** instead of practicing as if every play went off without a hitch.

Are broken pass plays even practiced enough for a QB to learn? Even if there is a significant amount with virtually zero QB hits in camp they are fearless and its simply not the same as on game day.

I believe Paulsen was talking about them practicing off-platform throwing (ie not having a clean pocket).  Not sure about broken plays, though I believe at least some teams practice them.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a waste of talent.

That depends on how he develops I guess. 

If he (lord willing) becomes an elite pocket passer there's no reason not to leave him in there and let him scramble if the play breaks down versus designing run plays for him.

If he's an average pocket passer then I agree it would be a waste of talent not to utilize his legs but personally I don't believe he'll ever be an elite runner so if he's even close to an elite passer there's no reason not to try to protect him so he can have a longer career.

7 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

. I would love for Howell to learn a fraction of the Mahomes elusiveness / wizardry to make things happen. I call bunk that QBs cannot be taught

Even if it can't be taught that was one of Howells strengths coming out of college.

Strengths
  • Gamer tendencies since freshman season.
  • Has some sandlot talent when pressed.
  • Climbs pocket with scanner still clicked on.
  • Looks for explosive throws outside the pocket..
  • Zip and multiple arm slots for off-platform throws.
  •  
  • Like 4

Latest conclusion, I no longer want a QB who didn’t play baseball growing up, unless that QB runs a sub 4.433543 forty yard dash. 

Backyard abilities = holy grail. 

Washington finally has a guy with a shot to provide all elements of elite QBs we all fawn over. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Washington finally has a guy with a shot to provide all elements of elite QBs we all fawn over. 

Just as Snyder is on his way out the door.   If everything pans out to this level, that is what you call poetic justice!  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Just as Snyder is on his way out the door.   If everything pans out to this level, that is what you call poetic justice!  

I keep looking at it as that asshole will be able to take credit for this team if it has some success or if Howell turns in to a franchise quarterback but i like your way of looking at it better.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1