Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It'd be hard not to be better than last year at QB. Heinicke random BS "magic" aside he was mostly really bad and Wentz was...well Wentz.

It depends.  Howell has an arm like Carson Wentz, and it just as mobile (maybe better) than Heinecke.  The key for him is how will he balance those two traits as essentially a rookie QB.  He still has the same mediocre to bad O-Line that both his predecessors had to deal with last year, and he has a TE group that's still a big time question mark.  He will turn the ball over at inopportune times, it's inevitable.  He will have his ups and downs, just like all the rookie QB's before him.  My only concerns with Howell this season are the O-Line/TE Group, and the leash that Rivera will have for Howell, with his job on the line.

Rivera's ass is on the line this coming season, and there's a good chance that he gets canned if the team gets off to a slow start again, so it will be interesting to see how he handles Howell, while at the same time trying to win enough games to not get canned.  If Howell struggles out of the gate, and we're looking at 1-3 or 1-4 after 5 games, how quickly does Rivera bail out on Howell, and insert Brissett to the starting QB spot?  This might provide plenty of drama to start the season.  Rivera might make rash moves that go against logic pretty early, to save his job.  Howell has to be firing on all cylinders during TC and the preseason.  It's not a coincidence that Rivera stated that QB #1 is still up for grabs.

Edited by samy316

16 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

How can you even say they have improved and they haven't played a down........

Turner was known for not designing his offensive schemes to hide the offensive lines flaws (or any offensive flaws for that matter). An argument can be made that Reid's schemes do just that so an argument can be made that EB will do the same. So, maybe that? Much of our oline woes did really start when Roullier went down (and went further south when Larsen went down) and we have three possible above average center options. Turner's oline was really dependent on the center getting the right line calls. Gates is supposed to be one bad SOB (of course, that does not address whether he's a good lineman or not) and Stromberg is supposed to be good (but as a outsider, one can't really call that till at least they get pads on). Wylie was the KC guy that EB decided to go after, so I guess that means if you think EB is an upgrade there's a good chance that Wylie is also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2023 at 11:30 AM, samy316 said:

It depends.  Howell has an arm like Carson Wentz, and it just as mobile (maybe better) than Heinecke.  

This is confirmed, Howell having similar arm strength to Wentz? I don’t see it, but that’s judging from highlight throws of Howell for most part. Seems like Howell his good arm strength not elite. Open to being corrected or proven wrong. 

Carson’s arm strength is elite, up there with Mahomes. 

On 6/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, Darth Tater said:

Turner was known for not designing his offensive schemes to hide the offensive lines flaws (or any offensive flaws for that matter). An argument can be made that Reid's schemes do just that so an argument can be made that EB will do the same. So, maybe that? Much of our oline woes did really start when Roullier went down (and went further south when Larsen went down) and we have three possible above average center options. Turner's oline was really dependent on the center getting the right line calls. Gates is supposed to be one bad SOB (of course, that does not address whether he's a good lineman or not) and Stromberg is supposed to be good (but as a outsider, one can't really call that till at least they get pads on). Wylie was the KC guy that EB decided to go after, so I guess that means if you think EB is an upgrade there's a good chance that Wylie is also.

Removing the arguments of this player versus that player, it appears the improvement desired was to become overall more athletic as a unit. 

Edited by wit33

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Howell has a monster arm. Like Wentz and Allen. He can flick it 40 yards like it's nothing. His issues are the short and intermediate stuff.

Most starters are flicking 40 yards, right? Wentz I thought was flicking more like 50-60 yards. 

18 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Most starters are flicking 40 yards, right? Wentz I thought was flicking more like 50-60 yards. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/commanders-qb-sam-howell-had-134318146.html

60 yards in the air for him, I think it is comparable.

https://247sports.com/article/nfl-combine-2022-unc-footballs-sam-howell-records-hardest-throw--183821689/

There's always caveats to this stuff, but I don't think its a stretch to say he falls in the "big arm" category...

On 6/12/2023 at 12:52 PM, Bifflog said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/commanders-qb-sam-howell-had-134318146.html

60 yards in the air for him, I think it is comparable.

https://247sports.com/article/nfl-combine-2022-unc-footballs-sam-howell-records-hardest-throw--183821689/

There's always caveats to this stuff, but I don't think its a stretch to say he falls in the "big arm" category...

I thought the consensus was he has a good arm,  but some are floating around him having an elite arm. When I watch it seems he has a good arm. 

I was referring to flick of the wrist type throw, most starters when stepping into can get it to 60 yards. At least this is my assumption, maybe I’m off?

Heineke regularly exceeded 50 plus yards on throws lol

Edited by wit33

...“Football is learned differently on either side of the ball,” Pritchard said. “Everything on defense, we’re reacting to the offense. We have to line up to their formation; we go on their snap count. So to have to learn it and then teach it on that side, it’s paying dividends even now, just to be able to see it through that lens.”

As Pritchard’s understanding of the game and the offense grew, so did his ability to teach.

“One of the first things that he coached me on was just X’s and O’s from the mind of a defensive coordinator and explaining the structures of the defense and where all the pieces have to go,” former Stanford quarterback Kevin Hogan said. “... He really just kind of simplified it and did a good job of explaining it to someone that wasn’t all that comfortable with it at the time.”

...This spring, Pritchard spent some of his first days with the Commanders holed up at team headquarters, learning the nuances of Bieniemy’s offense and poring over tape of his new players — especially Howell.

“Before we were able to meet the guys and kind of get to know them and their personalities, [I tried to learn who they were] on film,” Pritchard said. “I think one of the things that has been most impressive about Sam has just been his mental approach and his attitude, like how he’s come in here. The kid’s a sponge. He wants to learn. He wants to be great.”

The Commanders study a heavy dose of Chiefs game tape — not to have Howell and Brissett compare themselves with Patrick Mahomes or even Alex Smith but to help them visualize the offense with their own styles.\

“That was the beginning, middle and end for Bill Walsh,” Pritchard said. “It wasn’t so much how we call plays. It was: ‘How do we teach plays? … How do we approach this in a way that’s going to help these guys learn it so that they’re experts in our system?’ … I’m constantly asking myself: ‘How is this guy different from this guy? How can I become a better coach for this group of people?’ ”

In organized team activities and minicamp, the Commanders’ quarterbacks wore microphones in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage, and Pritchard said he has been able to use what he learned from that in his coaching. Already, he has noticed his young quarterback is able to self-correct. One day in OTAs, Howell got hung up on a part of his passing progression instead of quickly moving on to what was called. When he encountered the same look the next day, he didn’t repeat the error.

Pritchard has said teaching passing progressions is like teaching a choreographed dance; the movements are learned and, with enough practice, they can breed comfort.

“It’s not just like, ‘Oh, he’s not open; let me look for the next guy,’ ” Prichard said. “… Your eyes have to move so fast as a quarterback, so you can’t do anything indecisively or kind of halfheartedly. Everything has to be with conviction through a progression, with your feet, with your eyes, and then when it’s time to rip it, you’ve got to … rip it. So it’s giving him some trust and some comfort.”

After the Commanders’ final minicamp workout Thursday, Coach Ron Rivera acknowledged Howell is gaining some comfort in the offense and has “pretty much shown us what we want to see.” But the work is only beginning for him and Pritchard, who wore that burgundy-and-gold pullover jacket for the first time in weeks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/06/13/tavita-pritchard-commanders-qbs-coach/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, redskinss said:

After watching that browns game I'm not so sure. 

I'm not even sure north Dakota state would take him back at this point.

Agree.  Wentz will live in infamy for me.  I flew up to see two games last season -- the Eagles game and the Browns one.  Beyond brutal to watch.  It felt even worse considering the airfare and hotels expenses I paid for. 

My only highlight with Wentz is running into him at the team hotel in Indy and saying hi. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 6/12/2023 at 3:28 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Howell has a monster arm. Like Wentz and Allen. He can flick it 40 yards like it's nothing. His issues are the short and intermediate stuff.

He had the strongest arm at the NFL combine, 59 mph

Edit: Jahan is feeling our squad this year, I heard he looks great also

Edited by XxSpearheadxX
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  Wentz will live in infamy for me.  I flew up to see two games last season -- the Eagles game and the Browns one.  Beyond brutal to watch.  It felt even worse considering the airfare and hotels expenses I paid for. 

My only highlight with Wentz is running into him at the team hotel in Indy and saying hi. 

Lots of people ran into Wentz last season. Mainly opposing pass rushers.

• Haha 10

Good interview from Howell on Keim's new podcast.

Am getting mixed vibes about Howell from those watching camp.  But I take solace that the two who seem the most optimistic about him are Keim and Logan Paulsen who are also the ones I respect the most. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

There were some mutterings at the end of the season about getting shorter O Linemen to help Howell see the field better but, in an idle moment, I just checked the current roster and Leno at 6/3 is the shortest we have. Everyone else is taller, in some cases much more so. I'm wondering if perhaps 6/3, 6/4 is considered short in the NFL? Or did we whiff on that too?

This is driven by an article I read on here that Howell is struggling with seeing the middle of the field.

4 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If Howell can avoid turnovers, I think he will be ok. 

I think there is zero chance of that. He just needs to score more than he turns it over.

Our defense creating turnovers will be huge. 

We were 8th from the bottom in TO diff last year. If we could get to 0, league average, it'll be really helpful. Especially if Howell can add 5 points to our scoring average.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 5:10 PM, wit33 said:

I thought the consensus was he has a good arm,  but some are floating around him having an elite arm. When I watch it seems he has a good arm. 

I was referring to flick of the wrist type throw, most starters when stepping into can get it to 60 yards. At least this is my assumption, maybe I’m off?

Heineke regularly exceeded 50 plus yards on throws lol

In my opinion is not how far you can throw a football, it how fast and accurate said football gets there. Howell was clocked at almost 60mph during the combine, that is blazing fast (Mahomes for example was clocked at 62mph).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

There were some mutterings at the end of the season about getting shorter O Linemen to help Howell see the field better but, in an idle moment, I just checked the current roster and Leno at 6/3 is the shortest we have. Everyone else is taller, in some cases much more so. I'm wondering if perhaps 6/3, 6/4 is considered short in the NFL? Or did we whiff on that too?

6'3 to 6'4 is pretty typical of a guard tackles are usually at least 6'5 but commonly taller, where did you see this?

It sounds like satire to me, I can't imagine a team is going to deliberately look for short lineman so their quarterback can see but maybe that's a thing.

Sounds crazy to me, and a surefire way to end up with an atrocious line unless you get really lucky.

Plus you can't control how tall the defensive lineman are.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

In my opinion is not how far you can throw a football, it how fast and accurate said football gets there. Howell was clocked at almost 60mph during the combine, that is blazing fast (Mahomes for example was clocked at 62mph).

Yup, peeps get too caught up on distance.

Arm strength can be represented by a lot of things. How far it goes, how fast it gets there, the arc of the throw, the RPMs on the spin...

Good ol' nerf-or-nothin' from last season could get the ball 55 or 60 yards out there, problem was it took an epoch and a half to get there thanks to his noodle arm. A QB with a stronger arm could throw that exact same distance in less time, or throw a flatter arc that means the ball travels less distance.

By all indications, Howell has a big arm. And we have data that suggests his MPH on his throws are pretty high and his RPMs are outta this world.

I don't think its fair to compare him to Mahomie, dude can put a ball on a rope from 30 yards out while diving sideways (he aint human), but I don't question in the slightest that Howell is one of the higher arm strength examples in the NFL.

• Like 2