Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randal 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Fromm battle for QB2 and so begins the Handsome Harem for Hartman

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Go for strip sack or hurry and maybe even a helmet on a chin. Do folks not know why we dont force turnovers??

Helmets to chins get you 15 yard penalties and potentially players disqualified. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Conn said:

Except I guess it depends on who they're talking about because last time I checked 1/2 of everybody thought Bieniemy never ran an offense and Howell was a 5th rounder who was not allowed to play until the season was over. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Except I guess it depends on who they're talking about because last time I checked 1/2 of everybody thought Bieniemy never ran an offense and Howell was a 5th rounder who was not allowed to play until the season was over. 

Those things can be true (they largely are - how much input on the Chiefs O JB had is to some extent conjecture) AND still have some optimism about what our O could be this season IF Howell is what they hope/think he is. Early reports are promising - but we all know its way early.

11 hours ago, MartinC said:

Helmets to chins get you 15 yard penalties and potentially players disqualified. 

I actually know the rules. I am not calling to injure the QB but here I'll clean it up for 2023 correctness anyways since it seems I am misunderstood. I want to see a defensive player hit a quarterback while he still has the ball to avoid a late hit above the knees so as to avoid a low blow penalty but also below the neck without leading with their helmet and while keeping their arms below the QBs neck so as not to risk a blow to the head all while not landing on top of said fallen QB with too much force - all to hopefully make the QB nervous on future throws.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 2

Jacoby Brissett, Commanders

Last season, Brissett didn’t produce many wins in Cleveland (4–7 while filling in for Watson), but he managed a productive offense, proving why he remains one of the best backups in the league. He helped wide receiver Amari Cooper find his footing with the Browns and did enough in the passing game to maintain a balanced attack for running back Nick Chubb. Brissett has started 48 games in his seven-year career, throwing 48 touchdowns against 23 interceptions.

I think Jacoby Brissett would be okay as a starter, but I feel he has a ceiling.  He actually played reasonably well last year, but Cleveland had a good O-Line (PFF ranked them 6th for the 2022 season, whereas they ranked us 20th).   He also had arguably the best RB in the NFL as a pure runner in Nick Chubb.  He had a middle of the pack receiving corps headlined by Amari Cooper at WR and David Njokou at TE, probably slightly weaker than what we have here, but overall he had a slightly better supporting cast last year in Cleveland.   I think we saw the best of what Brissett had and while it probably is good enough if things go are way in close games to get us to 10-7 or even 11-6 if we go 5-1 or something like that in close games and in the playoffs, its not good enough to make us a contender.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

I think Jacoby Brissett would be okay as a starter, but I feel he has a ceiling.  He actually played reasonably well last year, but Cleveland had a good O-Line (PFF ranked them 6th for the 2022 season, whereas they ranked us 20th).   He also had arguably the best RB in the NFL as a pure runner in Nick Chubb.  He had a middle of the pack receiving corps headlined by Amari Cooper at WR and David Njokou at TE, probably slightly weaker than what we have here, but overall he had a slightly better supporting cast last year in Cleveland.   I think we saw the best of what Brissett had and while it probably is good enough if things go are way in close games to get us to 10-7 or even 11-6 if we go 5-1 or something like that in close games and in the playoffs, its not good enough to make us a contender.

If Brissett becomes our starter due to Sam not beating him out, I'm taking cyanide and making sure Sam goes with me as he will have nothing to live for.

Edited by Cool Hwhip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I actually know the rules. I am not calling to injure the QB but here I'll clean it up for 2023 correctness anyways since it seems I am misunderstood. I want to see a defensive player hit a quarterback while he still has the ball to avoid a late hit above the knees so as to avoid a low blow penalty but also below the neck without leading with their helmet and while keeping their arms below the QBs neck so as not to risk a blow to the head all while not landing on top of said fallen QB with too much force - all to hopefully make the QB nervous on future throws.

So not in the chin then. 

And I think we all want to see pressure, hits and sacks on the QB. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Our fan base isn’t excited enough about Sam Howell. Period.

Didn't you get the memo?

Our off season was meh, we have an atrocious offensive line and our tight end group is so bad that the front office is criminally negligent for not planning to lose an undrafted free agent from last year due to injury. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, redskinss said:

Didn't you get the memo?

Our off season was meh, we have an atrocious offensive line and our tight end group is so bad that the front office is criminally negligent for not planning to lose an undrafted free agent from last year due to injury. 

The OL is scary.

Tight end thing I agree. I just don’t understand why Rodgers was this panic trigger. He had five receptions last year. Though I think people are more frustrated we didn’t get a safety valve/tight end type for Howell. I’m not impressed with our tight ends at all. The group isn’t good. But Rodgers being out doesn’t really change that. 

Howell will be good, though. 

As will the backs and receivers. If the OL stays healthy we could be pretty good.

13 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Everyone we get excited about fails. I think it’s a good sign for him that we are not honestly. 

there is like 6.5 of us who know what we are talking about anyway lol 

(when I say us I mean the fan base. Obviously not saying I am part of that 6.5)

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 5/26/2023 at 12:23 AM, Conn said:

Breer had a longish segment on Keim's latest podcast.

He said asking around the league he gets mixed takes about Howell the player.   But he also said that the two QBs from that class that he heard consistently from others in the league that they liked the intangibles from that class the best are Ridder and Howell.  With Ridder the question was can you fix his accuracy issues.  With Howell it was about his size and some debate about what his upside is.

He thinks this season would ride and fall about two things -- can the D line be great, for them to win they can't be just good.  And can the O line hold up -- he had some skepticism about that and him and Keim agreed the O line was the main issue last year.

Most of it was a gush fest about what he learned about Josh Harris.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

The OL is scary.

Agree.   Some push back cleartly on that point from some on this thread.  I hope the optimists are right.  I am typically more optimistic than I should be before the season -- but alas the seasons rarely have met my more optimsitc expectations.  This time I think they did a crap job in the off season, so am unusually sour about it and my optimism waned -- but maybe that's a good omen.  The opposite happens as to trends?  :D

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Tight end thing I agree. I just don’t understand why Rodgers was this panic trigger. He had five receptions last year. Though I think people are more frustrated we didn’t get a safety valve/tight end type for Howell. I’m not impressed with our tight ends at all. The group isn’t good. But Rodgers being out doesn’t really change that. 

I think the tight end spot is more likely to work out for them than O line but I'd bet against them but I wouldn't put down as much money as I would versus the O line sinking them.  My beef with TE is more about skipping a loaded draft for that spot -- lost opportunity.  Heck GB famously has struggled at TE, so they take two TEs early in that draft to address the spot this year.  That draft was borderline special for that spot.

But my optimism is about Cole Turner was on my guys list 2 drafts ago.  I really like him.  He's not fast.  He's not a good blocker.  But he does enough to seperate, especially on the 2nd level and his catch radius and hands are insane when he's on his game.  He's a bit lanky and my fear with him is injuries ala last year.  But will see.

As for Rogers.  I saw him as a wildcard at best.  It's not really us, the fans, magnifying the dude's importance -- its about leaks from those close to the team.  Logan Paulsen in the off season who works for the team and obviously knows the position kept saying part of the reason why the team is a bit more relaxed about the spot than the fans is because of the young guys and seemed to especially highlight Rogers.

One dude who pushed back on me on the draft thread for example about taking a TE in the mid rounds like Mallory would say he probably isn't better than Rogers, so why bother?  I get his point from the perspective of listening to Logan Paulsen who would highlight the TEs in house and with a strong emphasis on Rogers.

I believe it was Keim who said he heard that they had high hopes--plans for Rogers in this system especially with Bieineimy's screen game. Keim is typically understated versus favoring overstating things.  When he uses the words "big blow" its likely a quote directly from someone he knows with the coaching staff or FO.

I think some fans (me included) were Rogers who?  The importance of Rogers was coming from sources close to the team -- that's the drama with it versus it being an overplayed fan driven thing.  

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think so, probably.  But as you know since youngish QBs are wildcards, so I am cautiously optimistic.    

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

As will the backs and receivers. If the OL stays healthy we could be pretty good.

IMO best combination of backs and WRs since the glory years.    Not sure I like the O line even if its healthy -- for me for the O line to work the most optimisitc take of each player has to take hold which is possible.  But I do agree to some extent about the health component which for me is all about Cosmi.  He's the most talented O lineman but alas he's struggled to stay healthy.   Leno and Wylie are IMO average at best but fortunately tend to be durable.  S. Charles at LG gets hurt a lot but I don't care in this context because I think Paul is better. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

The OL is scary.

I agree, I was just being a little sarcastic to point out that instead of being overly optimistic this year the board is kind of trending overly pessimistic.

All that stuff is true on paper but things in this league have a funny way of not turning out how you expect them to.

17 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

You are going to jinx him.  :ols:.   But I'll say I am jazzed enough to toy with flying up to see some camp and he's be the primary reason why I'd do it.

I like Howell, I watched a ton of him in college.   Makes some wicked 2nd level throws, nice deep ball, nice touch.  Good mobilty.  Tough dude.

But the rodeo we've had at QB has been a long and painful one.  All these guys we've had that are punchlines with the benefit of hindsight now all had fun and exciting narratives in real time and with plenty of buzz and flashes and teases.

The wildcard for all these young QBs where we don't really know until the script plays out:

A.  Can they process the field quickly.  As Martz said read and react?   

B.  How do they respond when defensive coodinators get a good enough sample size to game plan against their weaknesses.  We've seen flashes from plenty of players in the NFL initially but then it starts going wrong partly for that reason.  S. Mitchell, M. Flynn.  Mike White.  K. Kolb.   Heck even here with Heinicke as the sample increased the struggles increased.

If Howell meets A and B, we got our QB.  And I think he has a shot.   I used to come close to crowning some young QBs early but I got burned too many times on the stove that i am cautious now.  

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Everyone we get excited about fails. I think it’s a good sign for him that we are not honestly. 

Exactly.  Staying medium might be good luck in this case.

One thing I’ve learned over the years is you want to read or hear that the QB is accurate during OTAs and camp. If the dude is inaccurate during these times, it’s going to be a long year.

From reports it seems like Howells been accurate. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

One thing I’ve learned over the years is you want to read or hear that the QB is accurate during OTAs and camp. If the dude is inaccurate during these times, it’s going to be a long year.

From reports it seems like Howells been accurate. 

From watching camp also its tough to judge from just one day.  Because it can change from day to day.  Based on the one practice reporters watched, got the vibe that his accuracy was good and better than Taylor and Wentz.  He supposedly looked better in the individual drills than he did in the team drills according to a reporter.  But I also recall hearing Wentz had some killer practices last year and then also some very bad ones.  So consistency is key. 

I've seen via the camps I've gone to a lot of:  Keenum, Kirk, Colt, Haskins, Fitzpatrick, Heinicke.  The only dude is that group that showed consistent accuracy was Kirk.  So overall I agree with the point.  but the script needs to play out over multiple practices.  Haskins for example ranged in the practices I watched from great to awful depending on the day.  Heinicke and Fitz were up and down over the course of the same practices I watched -- they had phases where they looked like Montana then phases when they outright sucked. 

I recall sharing that at the time from Richmond.  I am really tempted to go watch Howell in part because I can somewhat do some apples to apples comparisons from past QBs.  I am gathering they aren't going alas to Richmond this time but I think they will have some open practices at Commanders Park.