1. 1. When to bench Heinicke???

• Now
    • Between now and Fitz is off IR and cleared to play
    • Wait until Fitz is medically cleared to play and off IR
    • Let him play out the 2021 season
    • I dont know
    • I dont care
    • OP is a Taylor Hater

It struck me how much the O-line performance  sagged today.  And It was a  bad time for that (especially on the right side) because it seemed like Turner wanted Heinicke to stay longer in the pocket and, if necessary, loft his pass to his safety/checkdown outlet.  Strange because Heinicke seems to play better when rolling out and finding an open lane to throw through to reach his receiver.  Problem was, the O-line wasn't able to maintain any of Heinicke's favored roll-out pathways out of the pocket -- a pocket that was collapsing more quickly than usual. 

When Taylor "bob&weaved" his way out of the pocket -- he was then having to throw more quickly than usual  (and often off-balance too) ....before he'd be sacked. I saw that happening because of today's combination of weaker O-line plus less effective running threats, plus too many hobbled or  backup receivers. 

Today's game plan (and limitations in perforformance) accentuated the fact that Heinicke's arm isn't strong enough to throw well, when/if he's off-balance -- especially those shorter touch passes where he has to loft it over onrushing defenders. Turner should have seen that, and schemed his offense tactics to the strengths that Heinicke DOES have (mobility, throwing dart-like passes from a balanced platform, quick mental processing speed for ad lib plays while scrambling, and the movie to try those throws.)  ....Hmmm, so maybe it's a learning process for Turner too!

Bottom line :  None of the QBs on the WFT roster would do well behind today's O-line, and the hobbled groups of RBs and receivers. Until Cosmi, Scherff, Gibson, Logan Thomas, Samuels and Brown get  well enough to play their quality game -- a scrambling QB (even with his deficiencies) might be the best option.  If more of the starters get back (especially right side O-line) then maybe Fitzpatrick could be the better option, depending on how long it takes him to regain his familiarity effectively executing  the WFT gameplan.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1

I'd rather let TH work through the adversity and see how he responds.  His supporting cast is weak and getting weaker.  He might still have value as a veteran backup in the future.  If he doesn't show any life after another game or two, put Kyle Allen in and see how he performs.  This could give you more ammo to make a decision on the depth chart for next year assuming Fitz and a high draft pick aren't both on the roster for 2022.   

Thankfully I took the family on vacation this week and couldn't watch the game.  But I was at the Saints game and it really stood out how weak Heinicke's arm is.  The Saints did not fear Heinicke's arm, at all.  They played tight coverage on the line all game.  I think Heinicke is a great guy and exceeded expectations.  But Kyle Allen is the better option.  He will open the playing field which will help the run game and time of possession which will ultimately help the defense.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah. They're not remotely close to the same QB. One was a highly-touted, highly-skilled QB who had the qualifications to be a star. The other is an undrafted, undersize, underskilled 28 year old who doesn't even know his own limitiations. 

He will be a great QB. You watch.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s easy for us to say “just let him finish the season, what’s the worst that can happen?”.

Not so easy of a call for Ron.

Its not good for the team. Every player n coach has money/jobs on the line.

If he does not give you the best chance, he should not be out there.

Gotta be counting the days for Fitz

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s easy for us to say “just let him finish the season, what’s the worst that can happen?”.

Not so easy of a call for Ron.

The last thing I want to see is him lose the locker room because some fans want a higher draft pick we can't use on a QB anyway.  Suck for who, yo?

I mean, seriously though it didn’t seem like any one was doing their job. A lot of dropped passes and weak ass runs. 

I guess I’m in the I don’t care camp. The only reason I want him to keep starting is because I’m hoping he will magically morph into the next Tom Brady somehow…

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

40 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'd rather let TH work through the adversity and see how he responds.  His supporting cast is weak and getting weaker.  He might still have value as a veteran backup in the future.  If he doesn't show any life after another game or two, put Kyle Allen in and see how he performs.  This could give you more ammo to make a decision on the depth chart for next year assuming Fitz and a high draft pick aren't both on the roster for 2022.   

I don't necessarily have any issues with keeping him in, but why is it that people so often point to the supporting cast as the problem with Heinicke?

Isn't it possible that it's Heinicke and his limitations that are part of the problem as well?

Our OL has been well graded every week after the first one. Yes we've definitely lost guys and are running thin when it comes to pass catchers, but it's not like we have nobody there. Plus, few QBs get to have a guy with legit top 5 superstar skill like Terry to throw to.

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

don't necessarily have any issues with keeping him in, but why is it that people so often point to the supporting cast as the problem with Heinicke?

It's the same thing people said about Cousins. Some are just reluctant to blame the QB because they're desperate to believe that someone could be the answer. I get it. 

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It's the same thing people said about Cousins. Some are just reluctant to blame the QB because they're desperate to believe that someone could be the answer. I get it. 

It’s an absolute insult to compare a top 12 QB like Cousins to Heinicke.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

When it comes to Allen, I think we also need to keep in mind that he's still coming back from a very serious injury. From what I read in camp coverage as well as what I saw in preseason, he didn't look that sharp.

That's not surprising given how much rehab he's had to do, but we probably shouldn't just assume that if we put Allen in, we'll automatically see 2020 pre-injury Allen.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1