Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): Ineptitude vs. Kansas City

KDawg

I don't think Gibson is that good of a runner because I don't think he has good enough vision or patience.  He's a hard charger with great speed and power but no instincts for running in traffic.  He is absolutely not the runner that McCaffrey and Kamara are and will never be a comparable weapon.  But he should at least be like a Miles Sanders type of weapon, he's just not being used enough in the passing game for that to happen.  Why isn't he getting at least five targets a game?  McLaurin is our only receiver that needs to be fed.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dan also was supposedly the dude who wanted:  Sanchez (got outbid), Quinn (his scouts talked him out of it), McNabb, Ramsey.  He was an RG3 guy but supposedly so was Shanny.

I remember he took Sanchez out for diner a few weeks before the draft, he was enamored with him. Thanks God he didn't have the ammos to draft him.

This botched Sean Taylor tribute just generated nausea instead of nostalgia. Snyder, Jason Wright, Sean's brother short notice, the organization letting this Mahomes punk dance on 21!

Kyle Shanahan reveals his dad wanted to draft Russell Wilson over Kirk Cousins in 2012

Mike Shanahan says trading up to draft RG3 was 'absolutely crazy'

22 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think Gibson is that good of a runner because I don't think he has good enough vision or patience.  He's a hard charger with great speed and power but no instincts for running in traffic.  He is absolutely not the runner that McCaffrey and Kamara are and will never be a comparable weapon.  But he should at least be like a Miles Sanders type of weapon, he's just not being used enough in the passing game for that to happen.  Why isn't he getting at least five targets a game?  McLaurin is our only receiver that needs to be fed.

I still argue that he's relatively inexperienced at both RB AND WR.  He only had 77 total touches, running and receiving, his entire college career at Memphis.  He may have come out technically as a WR, but he really hadnt done either one very much before reaching the pros.  So yeah, he might be a little rough around the edges with the nuances of the positions.  

He's probably better suited for being part of a two headed monster situation, like how the Browns use Kareem Hunt to augment Chubb.  Still gets plenty of touchs and makes an impact, but the lead guy is Chubb.   Gibson gets nicked up, and then we're left without somebody to really lean on.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

On the bright side, the D didn't -completely- suck for the first, what, 17 minutes of the game?!? Then the ****ing kicker shanked another FG, killed momentum as usual and the **** show resumed. "Same **** different day" edition.. (and yea, Im blaming the kicker.. **** that guy!) lol 

Though he's small, I do wonder if Patterson should get more carries. At least in the preseason, he demonstrated incredible vision and the knack to be an effective running back. Maybe a modern day Joe Morris? That way, you could give Gibson more run on passing downs and make him more of a hybrid back instead of a battering ram constantly slamming into the middle of a defense that's rarely used as a receiver.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Though he's small, I do wonder if Patterson should get more carries. At least in the preseason, he demonstrated incredible vision and the knack to be an effective running back. Maybe a modern day Joe Morris? That way, you could give Gibson more run on passing downs and make him more of a hybrid back instead of a battering ram constantly slamming into the middle of a defense that's rarely used as a receiver.

Gibson had an MRI today.  Results haven't been released yet.  You may get your wish.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, FrFan said:

I remember he took Sanchez out for diner a few weeks before the draft, he was enamored with him. Thanks God he didn't have the ammos to draft him.

This botched Sean Taylor tribute just generated nausea instead of nostalgia. Snyder, Jason Wright, Sean's brother short notice, the organization letting this Mahomes punk dance on 21!

Kyle Shanahan reveals his dad wanted to draft Russell Wilson over Kirk Cousins in 2012

Mike Shanahan says trading up to draft RG3 was 'absolutely crazy'

Yeah the reason why I don't give Shanny a pass on RG3 is he gave a mixed message on it.  He has said he wanted RG3.  But yeah he did later couch it as not at that price.  

McNabb on the other hand he supposedly didn't want and that was all Dan.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, posse87 said:

Even changing the team name can’t get rid of the stink on this franchise 

In my somewhat OCD mind and my desire to cleanly compartmentalize things, here's what I'd like to happen retroactively...

When Jack Kent Cooke died, I wish the team had just been renamed and maybe even relocated then. Sure, I would have hated it at the time, but I just wish "Washington Redskins" could have died with that era. Snyder then could have been the owner of the new Washington Warthogs or whatever they'd be called and I'd be able to very easily distinguish between the Cooke/Gibbs/Beathard organization and whatever the Hell this past 22 years has been. 

I realize that the final days of "my team" still would have been bad with the Norv years, but there was still something lovable and classy about that organization that hasn't been present since 1999. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF scores for the whole season so far

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 3.09.45 PM.png

Thanks for posting this. @William Jackson, woof. O-Line has been very good, Dyami Brown is definitely concerning. Kind of surprised Payne and Holcomb are so low. Allen certainly has taken a step above Payne, will be curious to see if he's the guy from the D-line we don't re-sign when his contract is up.  

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Given everything that’s gone wrong, I will say this offensive line is pass blocking their ass off.  There has got to be away to take advantage of their hard work.  Heinicke is one of the least sacked quarterbacks in the league statistically.

Gibson sort of reminds me of when Reggie Bush first hit the NFL, except the hype level was off the charts for obvious reasons.  Bush did not have the workhorse RB intangibles for the NFL but he had obvious play making skills that could help teams win.  It took awhile for coordinators to figure out the best way to utilize him.  I kind of feel that with Gibson the coordinator is in that same spot.  (and I doubt Scott Turner is even the best suited for this task).  

Gibson with the ball in his hand is a weapon, but it's about finding the best way to get the ball in his hand that give him the best chance of succeeding.  Right now, trying to make him a pure RB is mixed results.  When he hits the hole and finds open space he is fantastic, however he also simply misses a ton of cutback lanes due to either lacking the vision experience, or just not waiting on the lanes to open.

The problem is there is no workhorse RB on the roster for him to gain experience behind in the mean time.  Remember Chris Thompson? There were times he looked like the best RB on the roster, but his body and intangibles were not the kind to hold up to the NFL beating you take and as soon as he went from the #3 change of pace RB to the main guy (due to injuries) he was battered and bruised so fast that he either couldn't play or was a shell of himself on the field.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Gibson sort of reminds me of when Reggie Bush first hit the NFL, except the hype level was off the charts for obvious reasons.  Bush did not have the workhorse RB intangibles for the NFL but he had obvious play making skills that could help teams win.  It took awhile for coordinators to figure out the best way to utilize him.  I kind of feel that with Gibson the coordinator is in that same spot.  (and I doubt Scott Turner is even the best suited for this task).  

Gibson with the ball in his hand is a weapon, but it's about finding the best way to get the ball in his hand that give him the best chance of succeeding.  Right now, trying to make him a pure RB is mixed results.  When he hits the hole and finds open space he is fantastic, however he also simply misses a ton of cutback lanes due to either lacking the vision experience, or just not waiting on the lanes to open.

The problem is there is no workhorse RB on the roster for him to gain experience behind in the mean time.

White Reggie split rush duties with Lendale, he still had 433 carries in three years. He showed he was capable of handling 12-15 carries a game. 

29 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

White Reggie split rush duties with Lendale, he still had 433 carries in three years. He showed he was capable of handling 12-15 carries a game. 

With all those carries, plus nearly 100 recs too, his body was far more conditioned to punishment before hitting the NFL.

Gibby had like less than 100 runs+recs combined. It will take time for his body to adjust. Even including his year 1 metics he barely has half of Bush's body of work.

His body will likely gain more resilience in time but the dude is going zero to sixty on the amount of damage he is exposed to. 

On 10/17/2021 at 4:18 PM, Leonard Washington said:

While I'm sure game tape has something to do with it but I wonder if the coaches are "coaching" out the only potential Taylor brings to the offense.

I agree let him play his game. Sure we will make mistakes but being a game manager is not his thing. Go 100% no huddle

5 hours ago, Burgold said:

On that note, didn't realize he got hurt again I had a family thing that made me miss the game, it may be time to shelve him for a game. He does seem to leave each game with another injury.

It's time.  I also don't think he has that level of burst he showed earlier this season/summer.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I call shenanigans.  There have been several games where Curl has been mostly or only Big Nickel.  So Collins has been a traditional safety.

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

In my somewhat OCD mind and my desire to cleanly compartmentalize things, here's what I'd like to happen retroactively...

When Jack Kent Cooke died, I wish the team had just been renamed and maybe even relocated then. Sure, I would have hated it at the time, but I just wish "Washington Redskins" could have died with that era. Snyder then could have been the owner of the new Washington Warthogs or whatever they'd be called and I'd be able to very easily distinguish between the Cooke/Gibbs/Beathard organization and whatever the Hell this past 22 years has been. 

I realize that the final days of "my team" still would have been bad with the Norv years, but there was still something lovable and classy about that organization that hasn't been present since 1999. 

Washington DC will always have a franchise due to its high profile nature. They should just be renamed the Sean Taylorskins and be done with it….ha

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know PFF are bad, evil, beyond dumb, etc to its critics here.  Heck I don't always agree with them either.  But I don't think they are typically 50 miles off.  And I think they nail who the three worst players on the team have been thus far. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 8.05.01 AM.png

Yes they did.

• Like 1