Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition) - Washin @TL

KDawg

33 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

I would love to see Gibson and JD in the backfield together in a pro formation.  So many possibilities out of a look like that, and you know they both scare the hell out of defenses.  I think this offense is just getting started.  I never thought id say this, but the offense will keep us in games this year!

Given his WR history, they should use JD all over the field kind of how the Falcons use Patterson

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, method man said:

Given his WR history, they should use JD all over the field kind of how the Falcons use Patterson

I agree they need to get him and Gibson out on the field together, Scott Turner needs to start drawing some stuff up because Mckissic can clearly play. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I agree they need to get him and Gibson out on the field together, Scott Turner needs to start drawing some stuff up because Mckissic can clearly play. 

When Samuel gets up to speed and we get another devoted body for the rushing attack that they are willing to actually use, we may be more willing to do stuff like that. With only two RBs getting any real kind of blow, you can't really use them together very much when you really need them to also operate as replacements for each other.

The "defense" is just bad. A quarter of the way through the season, it's safe to say their embarrassing play is not an aberration. McCain running his mouth post-game is laughable. We're giving up over 60% of conversions on 3rd down for the season. that's historically bad. 

I'll enjoy the win this week, but we have games against the Chiefs, Bucs, and Packers coming right up. It's only going to get worse. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

The "defense" is just bad. A quarter of the way through the season, it's safe to say their embarrassing play is not an aberration. McCain running his mouth post-game is laughable. We're giving up over 60% of conversions on 3rd down for the season. that's historically bad. 

I'll enjoy the win this week, but we have games against the Chiefs, Bucs, and Packers coming right up. It's only going to get worse. 

I actually think Alabama could torch this defense right now. RR better get started on a complete secondary and linebacker rebuild and train Jamin Davis up Right quick

• Like 1

I enjoy these threads, but I'll go ahead and agree with some others. I have no idea how landon collins (He doesn't deserve proper noun capitalization) does not have any frowny faces so far this season. He is always out of position, failing to wrap up, getting outrun by ****ing dollar general eli manning, or otherwise being a liability in anything else he does on the field. People think he'd be good at LB? He can't tackle or cover, so I don't know what good he'd be. Maybe he can try out for kicker. 

Other thoughts-

I don't want to speak it into existence, but I am secretly afraid that Chase Young's head is gonna physically grow 4 times larger and he is gonna go Laron Landry steroid freak, after having watched him play lately.

I love Terry McClaurin as much as I've ever loved any player on this team....and I am glad that we have Heinicke. I can't even imagine how awful this team would be to watch without them.

This defense sucks.

Edited by SpacePenguin

The more I watch Heinicke, the more I see some Brett Favre in him. He doesn't nearly have the cannon arm that Favre had, but the way he just makes things happen is fun to watch. Now, he should've thrown at least a few picks yesterday that were dropped by Atlanta, but the dude isn't scared and just keeps playing his game no matter what. I love too that I actually have confidence in him and believe we're always in the game and that he'll bring us back if we're behind- something I can't say for the guys we've had at QB in recent memory.

As for the defense? They were maybe slightly better, but still a lot of things to fix there.

A win is a win and at 2-2 I'll take it, as it could easily be 0-4 right now. The schedule is tough, but these next two games against NO and KC at home are winnable games. If the D improves, it obviously helps our cause. But even if they don't, I believe we can win shoot-out type games with Heinicke.

4 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

I enjoy these threads, but I'll go ahead and agree with some others. I have no idea how landon collins (He doesn't deserve proper noun capitalization) does not have any frowny faces so far this season. He is always out of position, failing to wrap up, getting outrun by ****ing dollar general eli manning, or otherwise being a liability in anything else he does on the field. People think he'd be good at LB? He can't tackle or cover, so I don't know what good he'd be. Maybe he can try out for kicker. 

Other thoughts-

I don't want to speak it into existence, but I am secretly afraid that Chase Young's head is gonna physically grow 4 times larger and he is gonna go Laron Landry steroid freak, after having watched him play lately.

I love Terry McClaurin as much as I've ever loved any player on this team....and I am glad that we have Heinicke. I can't even imagine how awful this team would be to watch without them.

This defense sucks.

Collins has disappointed me every week. However, others have disappointed me more. I have a major sour spot in my heart for the linebacking corps.

Holcomb is okay and can improve, but he is too hesitant. Bostic is... A great man by all accounts and a smart man schematically.

Yesterday McCain was worse than Collins as well. 

And Hopkins missed XPs.

I have rarely felt so badly after a win. So much for the theory that this was the week we got well against a bad team.  Worst pass defense I can ever remember, and I am a veteran of the Pearl Harbor Crew.

TH is certainly an interesting player.  He clearly has "It" as we have seen a number of times. But he should have had 2-3 picks, his ball just hangs there for the taking. 

We all kind of saw a big return from Carter at some point, you just saw it coming.

The OL has held up surprisingly well, they sure didn't seem to miss Brandon after he got hurt. Again. He's always hurt, he is so overrated.

Glad to see Gibson getting more carries, really glad to see him get the ball at the goal line. I never understood the Barber or Patterson idea for short yardage, Gibson is fine in that role.  

• Thumb up 1

Uh, Heinicke's ANY/A is a stupid good 8.01?  8 and up is in MVP conversation.  That's kind of crazy. 

Granted some of that is making desperation plays like that heave to McLaurin for a TD he had to fight for.  Normally that ball isn't thrown.

His low sack rate is boosting his ANY/A number.  With his play style, he's gotta scramble into a few more sacks eventually.

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Collins has disappointed me every week. However, others have disappointed me more. I have a major sour spot in my heart for the linebacking corps.

Holcomb is okay and can improve, but he is too hesitant. Bostic is... A great man by all accounts and a smart man schematically.

Yesterday McCain was worse than Collins as well. 

And Hopkins missed XPs.

The defense just doesn't play as a cohesive unit. At times the look confused, unsure on assignments and play undisciplined. 

My hopes are as the DB's play together more, they will show improvement. There are lots of new parts out there and one old tarnished overpaid one.

McCain had a bad day but is a good player. 

I expected to see more of Hudson year

We're playing so badly that after a win we get the "a few positives" tweet.

Our defense is atrocious and the sandlot offense has been fun to watch but its probably unsustainable. 

Our next 7 games are brutal and I'd be very surprised if. Won more than one or two of them.

• Like 2

The audacity of Bobby McCain to be running his mouth to the media...Didn't he get trampled by Mike Davis en route to the score that put the Falcons up 8?  And I'm pretty sure I saw him on the wrong side of a few other bad plays as well.  Not just this week, but every week.

This defense making Patterson look like a Hall of Famer is rather humiliating.

Dustin Hopkins - damn homey, 2 extra points?  This could simply be an anecdotal observation, but it sure seems like he gets more turn on his kicks than others.  Similar to a golfer, it appears he's always going for the draw, but has a tendency to block it right, and it just never turns over.

• Like 2

Snap Counts are not what I wanted this week.  After it seemingly trending in the right direction.  We've got this

McCain 100%

Collins 100%

Curl 79%

Holcomb 83%

Bostic 43%

Davis 43%

Maybe the injury to Juice forced the team into going Big Nickel as the norm.  So Curl never was lined up as a safety?

Davis only got that % from Holcomb missing a few snaps and then Davis getting hurt near the end of the game.  Not ideal.

I suppose I can excuse the safety snaps since Juice's injury requires shuffling around.  But the LB snaps are just blegh.  How are they looking at past film and thinking Davis should get less and Bostic more?

Underrated key play from the game: Matt Ryan stupidly fighting for extra yards on his desperation scramble at the end, DaRon chasing him downfield for the tackle, and then holding him down on the ground running the clock down.  There were easily two plays left on the clock before that sequence, instead they had to spike it with just one second remaining.  I love that big guy, he's a gamer and that was fun.  Can you imagine the panic Matt Ryan must have felt knowing he'd messed up and the clock was running out and that freaking brick wall is on top of you?

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

We are wearing Gibson down. I wish we would run the same plays with all three guys. 

He had 16 touches yesterday, rushing and receiving and played 55% of the snaps. Last week around the same.  That's not a lot.  You wanna give him less than that?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is just no reason I can think of for Davis not to be on the field for nearly 100% of the snaps. When he’s in the game he consistently flashes and is around the ball. And he can cover. 

Our other linebackers are trash and what I see of him has been good. Even if he’s not 100% on what he needs to be doing, at least he can do it fast. I’m tired of seeing Bostic and Collins on the field. 

• Like 1