Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Buffalo vs. Landover Junior Varsity

KDawg

On the game, it felt like Keanu Reaves in the replacements ... (and **** you if you dont love that movie) saying he was afraid of quicksand. The harder they fought, the more they sunk 

There were some terrible non call holds that gave Josh Allen all day to throw on the first drive, we got every bad bounce, call etc until that screen play and by then we only had one feeble burst of momentum. This has been a terrible start, maybe we are this bad. I don't think so. But it's not as good as maybe some of us, myself included thought it could be. We'll be middle of the pack and will have to trade draft capital for a move up or in FA for a QB. I hate both of our coordinators O and D right now. 

On a personal fan note, **** I'm so tired of this.

I dont live in Dc metro anymore, the team lost it's name. we had a tiny stretch last year where I felt good about my decision to stick around. Now here I am paying for Sunday ticket, scheduling my days around a team that I let myself stupidly get excited about again. Someone please zap my memory and let me believe I was born in Nashville or KC 

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Let's not forget who our owner is, the team's headquarters, practice fields, stadium, state of the fanbase, the list goes on.

This is the least attractive destination in the NFL.  We're not even lovable losers.  We have absolutely nothing to make us attractive to young, talented, and coveted candidates.  We only got Ron because Dan had to offer him the moon to come here, and he only did that because he had no other alternative.  Sometimes I think we forget about just how bad the optics are on this franchise because we're so used to it.

Was thinking about this while watching Rodgers last night and wondering what chances we have at landing him when he leaves after this year. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

So if I’m understanding correctly from the posts above we are essentially arguing/discussing this situation:

we are in the middle of the ocean in a small wood boat and on the left side the offense using a 1/2 inch drill bit to bore holes in the bottom of the boat and on the right side the defense is using a 3/4 inch drill bit to bore holes in the bottom of the boat? 

hmmmm….. I’m thinking and I haven’t been in the situation above that we are ****ed regardless of who has the larger drill bit 🤷‍♂️🌊🚣‍♂️

No, the defense is fixable.  The offense is not.  And firing Del Rio or trading our defensive linemen isn't going to make us better.

13 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

If you would have told me before the season that by the end of game 3,Chase would have 4 image.png.4c7d8a6407eb3582104b28e5ab228543.png's, I would have told you that you lost your ****ing mind.

But....here we are. 

This team, man. 

I was thinking this verbatim, even the font size for the frown.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Let's not forget who our owner is, the team's headquarters, practice fields, stadium, state of the fanbase, the list goes on.

This is the least attractive destination in the NFL.  We're not even lovable losers.  We have absolutely nothing to make us attractive to young, talented, and coveted candidates.  We only got Ron because Dan had to offer him the moon to come here, and he only did that because he had no other alternative.  Sometimes I think we forget about just how bad the optics are on this franchise because we're so used to it.

You’re telling me coaches wouldn’t want to coach players like Young, Allen, Sweat, Payne, McLaurin Gibson and Logan? We have young talented players. No way we can have this much talent and still be a laughing stock unless it’s coaching. 

The offense needs to start having longer methodical drives, that keeps them on the field and wears down the defenses. Other offenses are having no issue getting into a rhythm.

The defense has the same old holes at LBer and our safeties still suck. I don't know exactly what is going on back there and why the guys just can't get on the same page and understand their assignments, but that's really all it is. 

Offense is doing the defense zero favors.

*You can criticize the offense, while acknowledging how poorly the defense is playing* 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

You’re telling me coaches wouldn’t want to coach players like Young, Allen, Sweat, Payne, McLaurin Gibson and Logan? We have young talented players. No way we can have this much talent and still be a laughing stock unless it’s coaching. 

Every team in the league has talent.  And a lot of times, the teams looking for coaches have a good draft pick coming up.  

No other team offers the package deal of - Dan Snyder as your boss, a dump for a stadium, headquarters, and facilities, a once historically notable fanbase that doesn't care anymore.

Obviously, there are only but so many jobs available.  But you're asking for both a simp like Dan to identify a young, brilliant mind to coach his team & for that young, brilliant mind to have no other options at their disposal.

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

They aren't doing their job.

The offense is bad.

The defense is worse.

This reminds me of this pick six, I think it was in OT, versus Atlanta.  Kirk threw a pretty bad ball AND the receiver ran the wrong route.  There was so much arguing over which ONE was at fault that it started becoming "Player A was wrong, Player B was fine."   So frustrating.

It's not to that level here, but our offense, given our injuries and lack of real difference makers acquired in the offseason, is playing the way we'd expect.  Not to a level we're happy with, but I don't think many here are surprised.

The defense, however, was supposed to help compensate for that.  The investments made over the years, on the field and sidelines, aren't getting us a return.  Even playing at last year's level, while it would be irritating, would be bordering on acceptable.  The MASSIVE regression is just mind-blowing, humiliating, and infuriating.

Long story long, I agree.

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There were some terrible non call holds that gave Josh Allen all day to throw on the first drive, we got every bad bounce, call etc until that screen play and by then we only had one feeble burst of momentum. This has been a terrible start, maybe we are this bad. I don't think so. But it's not as good as maybe some of us, myself included thought it could be. We'll be middle of the pack and will have to trade draft capital for a move up or in FA for a QB. I hate both of our coordinators O and D right now. 

They're not as good as we hoped.  We've jumped the gun on a lot of young players who have excellent potential, but aren't actually great players yet.  We fans took our cue from the team though, and I think this team is struggling under the weight of expectations that were not realistic.  I think they thought they were further along in the rebuild than they really were, and we fans definitely did.  They don't really even have a QB yet.  McLaurin isn't Davante Adams in his prime.  Chase Young has played like 20 games, he's not JJ Watt in his prime.   Dudes like St Juste and Cosmi and Dyami are playing incredibly big roles right now and they are getting baptised by fire and it's burning us.  Jamin would probably be burning us too if we expanded his role, but instead we're getting burned by the weak veterans in front of us.  It's momentarily frustrating but it's natural.  Almost all of our good players are still like a year or two away from being legit good by league-wide standards.

The only thing that structurally worries me about this whole thing is the offense.  Ron is not an Xs and Os coach, and he's a defensive guy to boot.  For us to have any chance at running a highly competitive offense, he needs an Arthur Smith caliber architect running that side of the ball and instead he's got one of the weakest coordinators in the NFL doing it.  On top of that, we are still super deficient in player talent on offense and we're about to get worse when Scherff walks.  We have no identity or future and, being realistic, we're going to be going into offseason #3 of the Rivera regime with no strong direction at QB.  This is the most perilous thing about our build by far.  We've got to get a better coordinator--someone who can run the ball--and we've got to pick a rock solid direction at QB and stick to it Hell or Highwater or else we will not develop an offensive identity.  And then we've got to get that QB some weapons.

I don't really even think the defense is fixable. They're simply not as good as advertised. Yes they can play better but it seems when they play a good offense they simply can not match up. They can not match up with the Bills offense man to man. Period.

The LB's basically look like Perry Riley types. I would leave Davis on the field and live w/ his mistakes. i don't care if Bostic knows the defense. He can't play so stop playing him. Holcolm isn't really much better, all he can do is run. He sucks in open space. 

As far as the back end sorry but they can not cover. Fuller? You suck this year. This guy the Bengals didn't want? He isn't worth the money you are paying him. Collins is not an NFL player. He may be in great shape but he still can't run. He looks like the same guy before he got hurt. I'll give the rookie more time. He seems to be in the correct spot but just can't finish. 

The line? major sigh....  I really don't care about your draft pick status. Pressure the QB and knock him off his spot. Otherwise shut the hell up. Yeah I am talking to you Chase. Hasson Reddick is a better pass rusher than you. 

Taylor isn't the guy. We have a weak armed undrafted D2 QB as our starter. He can play in the league as a back up but over the course of 16 games he will get exposed for who he is. His arm was not strong enough to throw into the wind yesterday. 

Do we have an NFL wr besides #17????

• Like 1

Tot Yds & TO     Passing Rushing Penalties   Average Drive
Player PF Yds Ply Y/P TO FL 1stD Cmp Att Yds TD Int NY/A 1stD Att Yds TD Y/A 1stD Pen Yds 1stPy #Dr Sc% TO% Start Time Plays Yds Pts
Team Stats 67 956 168 5.7 5 2 53 62 91 665 5 3 7.1 27 74 291 2 3.9 17 22 175 9 20 50.0 10.0 Own 23.1 2:37 6.25 33.4 2.30
Opp. Stats 92 1296 219 5.9 2 1 77 86 123 921 6 1 7.1 50 90 375 3 4.2 21 22 205 6 20 55.0 10.0 Own 30.0 3:23 7.5 40.8 2.45
Lg Rank Offense 19 20     24 20 25   24 22 13 20 13   17 21 17 18           5 20 31 24 9 18 12
Lg Rank Defense 29 31     22 14 31   27 29 21 20 22   26 26 19 14           2 18 22 30 31 29

25 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Every team has talented players. Most teams have some budding stars just like Young, McLaurin, or Gibson. 

The Skins though are saddled with a despised and horrible owner. A man most people cannot even respect given the way he's treated his employees for 20 years. So yeah, I think most coaches would rather pick a different NFL city if they have other options. 

1 hour ago, Idaho fan said:

When you say it brought out the best I assume you are talking about me and the mushroom guy.?

But seriously, when has the game thread ever not been depressing during a loss?  Ive been on this site for 16 years and don't remember one.

I LOL'd the mushroom guy... but at the end, I think that frustration got the better of a few folks (me included)... and a shellshocked fanbase (for 30 years) turned on itself.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

C'mon. 

The first drive the defense folded like a cheap accordion in another 3rd and 15 situation. They set the tone.

Had the offense crapped the bed on the first possession like that I could see the argument.

In the end they are both awful. 

They got a bad break on an uncalled hold on Payne on that long third down conversion and eventually Josh Allen makes a superman throw for a TD.  That shouldn't been enough to unravel the day for the team.  But the offense gave us three dog**** possessions in a row and dug a big hole.  The defense has struggled, but they're not awful.  They'll get right eventually.  The offense is awful and it's the major problem with the team that they can't even play remotely complimentary football much less actually carry some weight.

35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

No, the defense is fixable.  The offense is not.  And firing Del Rio or trading our defensive linemen isn't going to make us better.

let me start by saying I am neither a talent evaluator nor a schematic genius when it comes to football or heck maybe when it comes to anything in life. What I am is a goal driven solution driven person who always looks at a “problem “ as simply a “solution “ we haven’t thought of yet. I am also aware not every solution can be implemented immediately some solutions take time and additional talent acquisition.

with that said, I am wonder “asking” what defensive scheme can we possibly run (with built in variants) that would best utilize the talents of our players? Steven I have read most all your posts for the last several years and you seem to really have an eye for talent and maybe I am wrong but to me it seems Kdawg has a good eye for schematics on a football level. 

is there any chance with the players (talent) we have to at a minimum execute some form of a defensive system that will allow us to be somewhat competitive this year? 

if the answer is no then it’s no and we move on to acquisition for next season 🤷‍♂️.

just trying to understand what a real expectation  is for this season….

Thanks

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They got a bad break on an uncalled hold on Payne on that long third down conversion and eventually Josh Allen makes a superman throw for a TD.  That shouldn't been enough to unravel the day for the team.  But the offense gave us three dog**** possessions in a row and dug a big hole.  The defense has struggled, but they're not awful.  They'll get right eventually.  The offense is awful and it's the major problem with the team that they can't even play remotely complimentary football much less actually carry some weight.

It feels like you're in denial. 

Our defense is terrible.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Did Cam Newton make Ron Rivera? Im beginning to question his ability to coach a defense let alone an entire team.

This is what losing does to us, we question everything.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater again, this is only his second year.

I made myself two giant burgers to start the game, ate them both.  (****ing delicious, too.  Pro tip I've learned in recent weeks, if you want that crust that forms on the outside of the burger?  You put a lot of ground pepper and some extra salt on top and bottom of the patty before you grill it.  Crusts up really nice, I was impressed.) Fell asleep at the end of the first quarter. Woke up sometime in the third quarter.  Checked the score, fell back asleep.

Normally, I'd be pissed at myself for missing the game, or most of it anyway.  I didn't care when I woke up after and saw what the score was.

I am so tired of hearing about this team's defense.  And I am starting to think that the worst thing we could have done last year was win the division at 7-9.  I can't remember if I thought to myself "They're setting themselves up for failure, they'll have a ridiculous schedule next year" or "Hey, they'll get better in the offseason and they'll be able to hang with anyone next year, especially if they amp up the offense a little bit."  

I know that over the course of last year this defense got better and this team got better.  And that's something to point out here, but it doesn't mean it'll get better this year with a demonstrably harder schedule.  

This team is ****ed, I don't think there's any other way to look at it.  The good news is that it's a long season and we're still at the start of it.  Is there a chance for improvement?  Sure.  But based on how this defense is getting butt****ed each weekend, I don't see it happening.  

I will go out on a limb right now and say that Chase Young is going to be a bust.  From what I saw yesterday, the highlights I've watched today...he's not winning any one on one battles and that's troublesome.  I don't like making proclamations this early in a player's career but the fact that he was great last year and the fact that he's been an absolute ghost this year is extremely disappointing.  You expect a guy like that to be able to come in and play at LEAST at the same level of what he did last year, if not improve...he's shown that he hasn't learned any moves or anything to make his game better.

Maybe I'm just venting, maybe I'm just annoyed...probably am.  But I am so tired of hearing about this defense that's done absolutely nothing.  I'm so tired of hearing about a front 4 that can't generate any ****ing pressure after 3 games.  I hate making proclamations after 3 games because, as I said, it's a long season and things can turn around....but this just feels different for some reason.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And to me it feels like you're panicking on the defense while ignoring the elephant in the room that is the league's worst offense.

Except... I'm not.

Our offense stinks.

And I'm not panicking with our D. It's bad. Real, real bad.

I don't think either side is "fixable" without some pretty big personnel shifts.

Maybe some skate by...

But not fixable. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I admire your optimism that the defense is fixable.  

I don't have the time to do this...really, I wouldn't know where to start...but I'd be curious to know the biggest turn a defense has ever made in the middle of a season for the better.  I haven't looked at the stats but after three weeks of getting our asses handed to us I'm assuming that we're in the bottom 25% of the league on defense.

So what's the biggest turnaround a team has ever made before in a similar situation to ours?  Bottom 25% of the league on defense and somehow flicked a switch to play top 10 defense along the rest of the season?  Has a team ever done that before?  

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The offense is awful and it's the major problem with the team

I still don't see how you pin this on Turner though.  I've watched analysts breakdown the offense in the first 2 games of the season, and none of them have suggested it's a scheme or a play-calling issue.  No matter how exciting Heineke can be at times, he's still a 28 year old UDFA with very little NFL experience.  I don't expect him to see everything at this point, but in the first 2 weeks - there have been opportunities we've simply missed.  I'm inclined to believe we also left quite a bit out there yesterday as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And to me it feels like you're panicking on the defense while ignoring the elephant in the room that is the league's worst offense.

19th in total yards per game.  22nd in passing yards per game.  21st in rushing yards per game.  21st in points per game.  

Meanwhile, the defense is 31st in total yards per game.  29th in passing yards per game.  26th in rushing yards per game.  28th in points allowed per game.  

The offense is not good, but it is by no means "the league's worst offense".  You could make the argument that the defense overall is, however.