Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Buffalo vs. Landover Junior Varsity

KDawg

Also...maybe one of yall coached can explain something to me. Watching chase young and our d line...the way they position themselves on the line looks like they are just squatting and gettin into a 3 point stance. These 49ers are looking like they are positioning themselves for a track meet with their legs further out. Is this scheming or what cause watching bosa get multiple pressures and chase barely doing anything is quite interesting

1 minute ago, method man said:

Definitely. The guy has 4 catches for 32 yards in 3 games as a starter. Clearly not ready for this

How many targets is he getting? 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The pieces just don't fit together.

We bring in William Jackson and St. Juste as man corners. We move on from Moreland/Darby who can play some zone. We have Kendall Fuller in the slot, who is primarily a zone corner matched with two man corners. We have Collins who isn't good in coverage in general other than when he's used as a robber (which he is very good at) and we don't really have a free safety.

Now, add our linebackers who can't play man or zone.

We have a hodge podge of pieces and I'm not sure anyone can get them to row the boat in the same direction.

I even have a hard time blaming the individual players. And the coaching. 

This team was VERY poorly put together.

To fix it you have to try to match personnel the best that you can.

Which is difficult. But: 

LB: Davis

LB: Holcomb (if Hudson is so bad he can't even see the field)

CB: St-Juste

CB: WJIII

FS: Kendall Fuller (over the top zones)

SS/Slot Corner: Kam Curl

Hybrid/Slot Corner: Anyone who can even remotely play man. Maybe McTyer.

Then we need to delay receivers just enough for our pass rush to get home. Even if it's close. We saw today that on the few times we manage to apply pressure it gets us into favorable situations. 

Rivera needs to eat the full blame on this given he controls both the FO and coaching. It's frankly unclear what the vision for the defense was. Why sign Fuller and Darby in 2020 when the intention was to run a man scheme team? Why not build toward that from the start? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, method man said:

Rivera needs to eat the full blame on this given he controls both the FO and coaching. It's frankly unclear what the vision for the defense was. Why sign Fuller and Darby in 2020 when the intention was to run a man scheme team? Why not build toward that from the start? 

Darby was a depth signing that turned into a bargain as he outplayed his contract big time. I don't think he was ever in the team's long term plans.

Fuller is a solid slot guy and we were in desperate need of CB help. Beggars can't be choosers.

3 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Also...maybe one of yall coached can explain something to me. Watching chase young and our d line...the way they position themselves on the line looks like they are just squatting and gettin into a 3 point stance. These 49ers are looking like they are positioning themselves for a track meet with their legs further out. Is this scheming or what cause watching bosa get multiple pressures and chase barely doing anything is quite interesting

How many targets is he getting? 

12 targets so he has converted on 33% of the targets with most of those being screens, which is pathetic. As much as this board has bashed Cam Sims, he caught 32 of 48 targets for a conversion rate of 66% last season, double where Dyami is at now. Also factor in that Heinicke clearly has a rapport with him

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Darby was a depth signing that turned into a bargain as he outplayed his contract big time. I don't think he was ever in the team's long term plans.

Fuller is a solid slot guy and we were in desperate need of CB help. Beggars can't be choosers.

Fair enough on Darby but, again, if the intention was to play a man scheme long term, why give big $ to a guy in Fuller who is not good at it?

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know if Fuller is good in man or not. I know he's a slot guy but I don't know if he was better in zone or man in KC or his first stint here. This year though he's been complete crap.

In KC, they played him mainly as an outside corner and we did the same last year. I had high expectations for him this year given that it's the first time he's able to play his natural position since we traded him to KC. 

1 hour ago, method man said:

Definitely. The guy has 4 catches for 32 yards in 3 games as a starter. Clearly not ready for this

I was a fan of the pick but he has been incredibly underwhelming thus far.  No separation and sorry but I dont see some major deep threat when I watch him.  He looks like a JAG.  And thats fine for now, he's a rookie, but his snaps need to go to someone else until he improves.

8 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I was a fan of the pick but he has been incredibly underwhelming thus far.  No separation and sorry but I dont see some major deep threat when I watch him.  He looks like a JAG.  And thats fine for now, he's a rookie, but his snaps need to go to someone else until he improves.

Who, Milne? AGG? Problem with this team is it does a terrible job developing receivers. We lucked into Terry but the way this team uses young receivers doesn’t help their growth and certainly doesn’t help the team in the immediate. 

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Who, Milne? AGG? Problem with this team is it does a terrible job developing receivers. We lucked into Terry but the way this team uses young receivers doesn’t help their growth and certainly doesn’t help the team in the immediate. 

Sims.  And we should run more 2 TE sets and multiple RB packages.  Get the best players on the field and get the ball in their hands.  Brown is currently a negative EV proposition on every snap he takes.  

18 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Sims.  And we should run more 2 TE sets and multiple RB packages.  Get the best players on the field and get the ball in their hands.  Brown is currently a negative EV proposition on every snap he takes.  

I don’t understand this infatuation people have with Sims. He’s a boom or bust receiver with a lot more bust games than boom. Dyami is part of the future more than cam is. This is where the loss of Fitz is really felt. We’ll never get any kind of report or evaluation with Taylor under center.

This game did it, After years of posting on Hogshaven I gave up and joined es.redskins. I simply cannot abide all the "Baghdad Bobs" over there with their "everything is fine" "no need to worry". Any criticism is defected by "it's a scheme problem" , "it's an adjustment problem" kumbaya rainbows and unicorns fantasies about this team. I have in tried to convince them that this team is fundamentally broken in it's coaching staff (Del Rio) to its roster choices, to its outdated schemes.. Don't get me wrong the situation is salvageable but the team must reverse course on a myriad of issues and stop playing the "we are so great, best defense in the league, RR is a guru hype junk". WTF only won last year because we beat up on a piss poor NFC east division and a overconfident Steelers team ravaged by COVID. We lost every preseason game going into this year and we should be 0-3 but for a extremely RARE false start on a field goal in the Giants game. A little reality check is long past due and I hope some here will agree.

dgkhi6yw0aaq3f1.jpg

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I don’t understand this infatuation people have with Sims. He’s a boom or bust receiver with a lot more bust games than boom. Dyami is part of the future more than cam is. This is where the loss of Fitz is really felt. We’ll never get any kind of report or evaluation with Taylor under center.

I have zero infatuation with Sims.  None.  But its early in a football season and I would like to win games, so generally I want the best players to be on the field.  Sims is better than Brown right now, which isnt saying much.  Id prefer utilizing packages that include neither on the majority of snaps.

Its fine for a rookie WR to need time to develop and I'm in no way giving up on Dyami, but if its hurting the team it should happen at practice.  When we are 2-9 or whatever *then* you get young guys playing time for the sake of development.  We tried, he's not ready, and now he needs to find a seat for a little while.

5 minutes ago, WTFforLife said:

This game did it, After years of posting on Hogshaven I gave up and joined es.redskins. I simply cannot abide all the "Baghdad Bobs" over there with their "everything is fine" "no need to worry". Any criticism is defected by "it's a scheme problem" , "it's an adjustment problem" kumbaya rainbows and unicorns fantasies about this team. I have in tried to convince them that this team is fundamentally broken in it's coaching staff (Del Rio) to its roster choices, to its outdated schemes.. Don't get me wrong the situation is salvageable but the team must reverse course on a myriad of issues and stop playing the "we are so great, best defense in the league, RR is a guru hype junk". WTF only won last year because we beat up on a piss poor NFC east division and a overconfident Steelers team ravaged by COVID. We lost every preseason game going into this year and we should be 0-3 but for a extremely RARE false start on a field goal in the Giants game. A little reality check is long past due and I hope some here will agree.

dgkhi6yw0aaq3f1.jpg

Pro tip: It IS the scheme.

(Along with the owner, the coaching staff, the front office, the defense, Chase Young, the LBs, Curtis Samuel's ****ty hamstring, every quarterback we've ever had...I could go on)

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

I have zero infatuation with Sims.  None.  But its early in a football season and I would like to win games, so generally I want the best players to be on the field.  Sims is better than Brown right now, which isnt saying much.  Id prefer utilizing packages that include neither on the majority of snaps.

Its fine for a rookie WR to need time to develop and I'm in no way giving up on Dyami, but if its hurting the team it should happen at practice.  When we are 2-9 or whatever *then* you get young guys playing time for the sake of development.  We tried, he's not ready, and now he needs to find a seat for a little while.

That’s what happened with AGG (plus injuries). His development took a backseat to Ron’s insistence on winning games last year. At some point we have to bite the bullet and develop these guys through game repetition. Once Curtis is back there’s even less opportunity for that. If the defense wouldn’t suck and stay on the field 40 out of the 60 minutes then we’d at least have a better understanding.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That’s what happened with AGG (plus injuries). His development took a backseat to Ron’s insistence on winning games last year. At some point we have to bite the bullet and develop these guys through game repetition. Once Curtis is back there’s even less opportunity for that. If the defense wouldn’t suck and stay on the field 40 out of the 60 minutes then we’d at least have a better understanding.

Is that what happened with Doctson too?  Because he saw a lot of snaps and he sucked all the way through.  Or maybe AGG just isnt any good either.

Some WRs are ready to contribute right away, but most need time.  Brown logged 93% and 87% of the offensive snaps in week 1 and 2.  Couldnt find todays numbers yet, but that is way too much moving forward.  He should be a sub package player based on his play, maybe 10 snaps or so.

Yet another week where you have to question what the hell Rivera and his experienced front office team thought they had in this LB group. Continues to be a criminal misjudgment.

Sub par DL play in general, not sure what our plan is at DB. Change personnel around then seem to play away from their strengths. Like it is some kind of in season training session to see what works, and clearly want doesn’t.

Our offense is average starting at the QB position. But it was always likely to be. I said score 20 points each week and we should win slightly more than we lose. Not with the D that has shown up through 3 games thus far.

We didn’t build well enough in the offseason, which kind of demotivated me a bit as we headed towards the season. Tough to watch the clear deficiencies bring us down each week. Hugely disappointing start to the season.

6 hours ago, gooseneck said:

When do you think Young and Sweat will break the two person sack record of 39?  I would think easily by week 10.

39 over 5 seasons maybe

6 hours ago, IrepDC said:

I would've accepted David Letterman and Matt Damon. Bostic and Holcomb have to go!

It still really annoys me, that we gave Sherff a going away present of 15m and didn't upgrade our LB's. OK we drafted one but he's hardly on the field. 

The only positive is that we got smoked by a very good Buffalo team that has a better than good chance to be playing in the Super Bowl in February.

That said, we sucked and sucked bad. I said in the "Next day Thread" after last weeks game that since running off the field following the Philly win in the season finale last year and yelling "I want Tom, I'm coming Tom", Chase Young hasn't gotten close to the QB. Going back to the Tampa playoff game, that's now 4 straight games that he's been essentially a non factor.

The rest of the D has obviously been awful too, but everyone knew coming into the season that our D was going to sink or swim with our D-line- especially Young and Sweats ability to put major pressure on the QB. They have stunk and it is a huge reason- not the only one, but a big one, as to why the D has been atrocious. Not only is this D far from elite or good, they're outright horrendous and rank up there as one of the worse D's we've had.

Our offense wasn't much better. Turnovers and penalties were costly, but we would've been shut out had it not been for a miraculous RAC by Gibson on a screen pass that goes for a 75 yd. TD, a bungled kickoff we recover to set us up at their 25 and a late 4th down TD pass to make the score look more respectable than it was.

Very disappointed in our team and this thing can get really nasty in the upcoming weeks. 

• Like 1