Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Buffalo vs. Landover Junior Varsity

KDawg

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think we were a middle of the road D last year as well. I think our personnel fit each other better defensively as well. But the D floundered in big moments against good QBs and feasted on backups. They’re not as cohesive skill set wise this year and they are worse.

I think we'd all settle for middle of the road on defense right

now.  lol  We're probably 2-1 if they're just the 21st ranked defense instead of 31st.

10 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Then wht should he take dyami spot?

He's at least got some experience producing in an actual game.  It can't hurt because Dyami is giving you nothing.  Samuel not bring there is even more huge cuz it's putting Dyami on the field when he probably shouldn't be.

21 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

This is NOT the year to be tanking for a QB.   All of this upcoming draft class is awful and would be a waste of a first round pick.  

Not sure, I agree.  IMO there are some prospects that are intriguing that we've spoken including myself about in the draft thread.  Having said that the college season is still young so there is time for it to play out in a positive or negative direction.   Zach Wilson wasn't Zach Wilson yet, Mac Jones wasn't considered yet as a top prospect at this juncture last season. 

I am not as infatuated as Kiffin seems to be about Corral but he intrigues me a lot, I want to see how he plays aganist Alabama next month. 

I got to watch Malik, his hype is certainly building

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think this thread is being charitable with the offense though.  They are a disaster.  All of their production was a fluke yesterday.  A broken coverage on a damn screen pass, a freaky special teams turnover, and some garbage time driving after the game was out of hand.  They got absolutely dominated by a Bills defense which is good but not necessarily great, and not a single player on that side of the ball played well outside of one spectacular play by Gibson.

I wholeheartedly agree.  The margin of defeat wasnt as close as the 22 pt score.  The defensive ineptitude is masking the issues this offense had yesterday.  

22 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

The entire game was sealed on that early 3rd and 15. And who wasn't sitting there thinking, "They're going to give this up, aren't they?" As soon as the Bills converted that, Allen was in a zone and that was it. 

The third down conversion problems continue to amaze me. 

Funny you say that...

I said to my wife, "This 3rd and long sets the tone for the entire game.  If they get off the field, I feel good about today.  If they give this up, going to be a long day."  I was actually leaning towards them getting a stop there and turning the tides.  I should have known better than to have any positive vibes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

The offense starting off well should have been a bonus for this team not a need.

Disagree somewhat but I get the point you are driving at.  I am not a defense wins championships kind of guy.  You don't see as many old school 14-12 bloodbath defensive fights.   I don't care what team you are, starting with a three and out is a bad tone IMO to start off the game. 

I agree with the argument that the defense has been the bigger problem and the offense has at least had flashes and were responsible for their one win.  But in my opinion, the offense being taken off the field without a sweat in the first drive coupled with the defense giving up a score is a perfect storm -- Batman and Robin combination of contributing to the bad starts.  

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

The D was supposed to set the tone. They were supposed to come out and punch the other team in the mouth right out of the box and then go from there. Expecting the offense to come out and set the tone is unrealistic.

Agree.   But I am not expecting them to set the tone, I want simply one first down on the first drive versus being shut down completely right from the jump.   

The irony

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

I think the worse thing about this is that not only are we bad,  we have NO IDEA why we are bad.  We have changed players, drafted high in the first round on several occasions,  changed schemes and coaches, yet nothing ever seems to change.   Each game feels like there is no plan,  no progression, nothing attainable to achieve AT ALL.   This is the most perplexing thing about this franchise.   Unfortunately, the real problem is something we cannot fix even if we wanted to.   This owner who calls himself Dan Snyder (nevermind my thoughts on who I think he really is).....will never step down, never do the right thing, and we will be stuck with this for the rest of our lives.  What a miserable thought.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, petey hodge said:

One thing's for sure...  the depressing game thread brought out the worst/best of ES members

TanPlainEyra-max-1mb.gif

When you say it brought out the best I assume you are talking about me and the mushroom guy.?

But seriously, when has the game thread ever not been depressing during a loss?  Ive been on this site for 16 years and don't remember one.

I understand the sentiment that our team should follow the defense's lead.  I won't even argue against that.  I see the narrative that it doesn't matter if the offense had a good day or not, because the defense was so bad.  That's not necessarily false, but it works both ways.  The offense put 21 points on the board, yes.  However, 7 of those were from a short field due to special teams.  Another 7 were garbage time.  The other 7 was from a hell of a play by Gibson and a defensive gaffe by the Bills.  It's not like our offense was ever truly threatening in any capacity.  The OL actually gave TH time yesterday and he just wasn't doing anything with it. So I'd counter that narrative with even if the defense was decent, we still wouldn't have won because the offense was so bad.

When your offense goes three and out and turns the ball over twice in their first three possessions and the other team has a super explosive offense, then your D has no chance.  This offense is absolutely still the major problem with this team and there is no easy or likely fix in sight.  The defense has coverage issues tied mainly to a couple of players getting smoked and those can be fixed.  We've played three highly mobile QBs in a row, it limits our ability to bring pressure, particularly when the middle of the field is open.  And despite this, the D has still done a good job against the run.  Not everything about the D is absolutely broken like it is for the offense, and the leadership on that side of the ball isn't utterly inept like it is for the offense.  Give the D an offense that can move the ball at all, or at least avoid turning it over, and the D will hold up way better. Give them an offense that can actually take a lead and let them tee off on a passing game limited by situation and they'll look great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

When your offense goes three and out and turns the ball over twice in their first three possessions and the other team has a super explosive offense, then your D has no chance.  This offense is absolutely still the major problem with this team and there is no easy or likely fix in sight.  The defense has coverage issues tied mainly to a couple of players getting smoked and those can be fixed.  We've played three highly mobile QBs in a row, it limits our ability to bring pressure, particularly when the middle of the field is open.  And despite this, the D has still done a good job against the run.  Not everything about the D is absolutely broken like it is for the offense, and the leadership on that side of the ball isn't utterly inept like it is for the offense.  Give the D an offense that can move the ball at all, or at least avoid turning it over, and the D will hold up way better. Give them an offense that can actually take a lead and let them tee off on a passing game limited by situation and they'll look great.

C'mon. 

The first drive the defense folded like a cheap accordion in another 3rd and 15 situation. They set the tone.

Had the offense crapped the bed on the first possession like that I could see the argument.

In the end they are both awful. 

• Like 2

So if I’m understanding correctly from the posts above we are essentially arguing/discussing this situation:

we are in the middle of the ocean in a small wood boat and on the left side the offense using a 1/2 inch drill bit to bore holes in the bottom of the boat and on the right side the defense is using a 3/4 inch drill bit to bore holes in the bottom of the boat? 

hmmmm….. I’m thinking and I haven’t been in the situation above that we are ****ed regardless of who has the larger drill bit 🤷‍♂️🌊🚣‍♂️

• Like 2

Just now, A-Lost-Wolf said:

So if I’m understanding correctly from the posts above we are essentially arguing/discussing this situation:

we are in the middle of the ocean in a small wood boat and on the left side the offense using a 1/2 inch drill bit to bore holes in the bottom of the boat and on the right side the defense is using a 3/4 inch drill bit to bore holes in the bottom of the boat? 

hmmmm….. I’m thinking and I haven’t been in the situation above that we are ****ed regardless of who has the larger drill bit 🤷‍♂️🌊🚣‍♂️

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

I think the worse thing about this is that not only are we bad,  we have NO IDEA why we are bad.  We have changed players, drafted high in the first round on several occasions,  changed schemes and coaches, yet nothing ever seems to change.   Each game feels like there is no plan,  no progression, nothing attainable to achieve AT ALL.   This is the most perplexing thing about this franchise.   Unfortunately, the real problem is something we cannot fix even if we wanted to.   This owner who calls himself Dan Snyder (nevermind my thoughts on who I think he really is).....will never step down, never do the right thing, and we will be stuck with this for the rest of our lives.  What a miserable thought.  

People don’t like blaming coaching, but it has to be the coaching. Our talent can’t be this bad every single year. Even when we have “good” seasons, we barely squeak by. I said it yesterday, Washington need to stop being lazy  by hiring brand name coaches and coaches that have a brand name last name and hire a young offensive mind like Byron Leftwich 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  The margin of defeat wasnt as close as the 22 pt score.  The defensive ineptitude is masking the issues this offense had yesterday.  

No, it didn't. We knew, going into this year we were going to have a average, at best offense. However, we expected a very good defense. The offense has lived up to it's billing. The defense has been absolutely abysmal. If you think a average offense, even with a gritty QB that has basically no live NFL experience to prop up the defense, which can't slow down, much less stop anyone, you're nuts.

22 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's what happens when you have a average at best Offense trying to make big plays all the time because they know the great Defense they were supposed to have is the worst in the league. When you try to play well above your pay grade, bad things happen. I'm sorry, but when you know you have to win a shootout every week, no matter who you going against (bet the Falcons hang 30+ on us) and you're just "ok" offensively, it means you're going to try to do too much and make mistakes. Offensively, if you know if you score 21 points and you've got a real shot, this team would look a lot better. But they know they need to score 30+ a game at this point, and they don't have the horses. So you end up trying to make plays you can't or are not there.

The only players that are playing well on D are Payne and Allen, which is why we're still decent against the run. They are clogging the middle, and pushing the pocket. DE's are doing nothing. It's pathetic.

The Giants hung 29 points on us, and it could have been more. They put up 13 on the Broncos, and 14 on the Falcons. Our D is absolute garbage. They are supposed to be the strength of the team. They are where all the resources went. They deserve 90% of the blame.

18 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Would have been a good week to lean on Peyton Barber, but nope.

He would have gone 5 carries for 3 yards. Patterson is better.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

People don’t like blaming coaching, but it has to be the coaching. Our talent can’t be this bad every single year. Even when we have “good” seasons, we barely squeak by. I said it yesterday, Washington need to stop being lazy  by hiring brand name coaches and coaches that have a brand name last name and hire a young offensive mind like Byron Leftwich 

Coaches of any value do not want to stay here.  At one point, we had Sean McVay...yes the same Sean McVay that has an amazing Rams team year in and year out.   This all points to culture and that culture comes from Dan Snyder.  Ron will not be able to fix that.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

This is NOT the year to be tanking for a QB.   All of this upcoming draft class is awful and would be a waste of a first round pick.  

Which is why we will do it this year. 7 first rounders wasted on QBs since 1999... averaging one pissed away 1st rounder every 3 years. We passed over Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers, while we spend 3 #1s and a 2nd for RG3, 1, 3,4 for Campbell, 1,2,3 for Bradboy, firsts for Snyder's handpicked Ramsey and then Haskins.

If there are no solid QBs available in the coming year's draft, we will find the next Haskins/Ramsey to spend a first on.

2 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Which is why we will do it this year. 7 first rounders wasted on QBs since 1999... averaging one pissed away 1st rounder every 3 years. We passed over Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers, while we spend 3 #1s and a 2nd for RG3, 1, 3,4 for Campbell, 1,2,3 for Bradboy, firsts for Snyder's handpicked Ramsey and then Haskins.

If there are no solid QBs available in the coming year's draft, we will find the next Haskins/Ramsey to spend a first on.

and 2nds for Smith and McNabb. Our QB hunt is atrocious. Only decent QB we've picked in Cousins in the 4rth and we couldn't keep him on the roster. Pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder if there will be any roster changes this week??  Also while number 17 Terry M. performs well and our tight end can still function we have no other receivers that can

break away from defenders.  Does not really matter if you have Heinke or Fitzpatrick at the helm right now.  We have to beat the Falcons before the team heads permanently downhill.

To be fair to Heinke there were a lot of dropped balls.  Our offense needs to score points early in the first quarter to help our crappy defense out so they can tee off on the opposing quarterback.

7 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I said it yesterday, Washington need to stop being lazy  by hiring brand name coaches and coaches that have a brand name last name and hire a young offensive mind like Byron Leftwich 

Let's not forget who our owner is, the team's headquarters, practice fields, stadium, state of the fanbase, the list goes on.

This is the least attractive destination in the NFL.  We're not even lovable losers.  We have absolutely nothing to make us attractive to young, talented, and coveted candidates.  We only got Ron because Dan had to offer him the moon to come here, and he only did that because he had no other alternative.  Sometimes I think we forget about just how bad the optics are on this franchise because we're so used to it.

• Like 1