Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

That's a good sign considering we're going up against a team that is really only gonna try to run the ball this week. But a healthy Derrick Henry is a whole 'nother animal. 

He’s gonna stomp all over us for 150 plus I think.

• Sad 1

On 10/6/2022 at 1:38 PM, HigSkin said:

Landon, had a veteran presence who brought leadership and stability to our back end. However, the last few years he was clearly a shell of his former self in overall play.

Despite his celebrated effectiveness as a buffalo nickel, he had major coverage issues and needed to be hidden and protected in certain situations.

Which is why we adjusted our scheme in the first place, bringing him closer to the line of scrimmage, to utilize his admittedly limited remaining capabilities.

This made Landon a target for astute offensive coordinators and an absolute liability in certain situations. That wasn't going to change had we resigned him.

Now we have three relatively young safeties who are physically (if not always mentally) capable of playing effectively from the line of scrimmage to the back end. This diversity of ability theoretically makes it more difficult to target anyone individually.

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. 

• Like 1

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

1 forced turnover in 5 games. 

Bad stat for sure, but the D was mostly good today. Sucks they gave up that big junk play to allow their only points in the 2nd half. 

I'll go as far as say the D is actually not a bad unit right now. Are they elite? No. But the offense is so bad that its really making it tough on them. We went 3 or 4 and out at least 3 or 4 times today and didn't convert a 3rd down until 25 seconds left in the game. But we still held them to 21 points.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

ll go as far as say the D is actually not a bad unit right now.

The D could be elite if we made two moves: Transfer Norwell and Martin to the D-line. The incredible way they get off the line before the snap would have them shooting gaps like Aaron Donald. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

McCain getting interviewed and brings up being up 17-14...

"Blah, blah, blah...we need to figure it out."

No mf'r, YOU NEED TO FIGURE IT OUT!!! They didn't get in scoring position again after that bomb you gave up, OWN IT!!!

That was such a bad play by McCain. It was a complete desperation heave by Tannehill who was under pressure. How are you nowhere near making a play on the ball? I can understand if the WR Mosses you or something like that, but he just wasn't even close. It was way too easy on such a junk throw. 

Plays like that are the most aggravating. I can live with Henry killing us, he's a stud and that's gonna happen. But too often this defense just gives up monster chunk plays inexcusably. Its like beyond the realm of logic and reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The Defense went from downright bad, back into the the "bend don't break, but always finds a way to give up a ridiculous big play at the worst time" defense.

But ultimately I think they've played well enough for us to win the last three weeks. No they weren't dominant but they did their jobs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

But ultimately I think they've played well enough for us to win the last three weeks. No they weren't dominant but they did their jobs.

I agree overall, but the one play that was unforivable was giving up that 60+ yard pass immediately after they just scored a TD.

Theories on why Montez looked like he was shot out of a cannon. Terrible OL. Adjustments by Del Rio to let him attack any angle and not worry about staying in his lane?  Was that textbook improvising. Maybe someone spiked his corn flakes with Red Bull. Great effort or new technique? Its tough to go from invisible in 4 games to dominating without me wanting beatniks to get the story.

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Theories on why Montez looked like he was shot out of a cannon. Terrible OL. Adjustments by Del Rio to let him attack any angle and not worry about staying in his lane?  Was that textbook improvising. Maybe someone spiked his corn flakes with Red Bull. Great effort or new technique? Its tough to go from invisible in 4 games to dominating without me wanting beatniks to get the story.

His pressure rate has been pretty good so he was due to get some sacks. That and the Titan OL is terrible and Tannehill tends to hold onto the ball.

• Like 1

If you can find a CB, a FS and a MLB, this can be a very good defense. They will have to find that CB and MLB but I hope they give Butler some more run later in the season to see if he can be that FS. He has the 4.36 speed to be that true single high. The question is can he process fast enough to take advantage of it

• Like 2

I'm not that sold on the Washington D being all that better now.  We'll see.

The Titans weren't much of a test for how well the defensive backfield and linebackers executed their pass protection duties.  Titan WRs aren't top-tier

threats and Tannehill wasn't given much time to pass by his O-Line. 

The Bears offense is a little similar to the Titans  (okay Fields is more mobile) so I anticipate Washington's D will look "good" for another game if they can corral Montgomery.

Edited by Wyvern

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Who does that exactly?

Who wouldn’t want him on their team?

I’ve seen a lot of stupid things said here, but have never come across this.

Plenty people didn’t want him because of the issues he had in highschool, thinking that behavior would continue as an adult.