Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

23 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

2022 NFL roster cuts tracker: Running list of team-by-team moves, preseason cuts for all 32 clubs - CBSSports.com

Here's a running list, Not sure how happy I am about picking up other teams scrubs at this point. 

I see the Eagles released Jimmy Moreland. I remember all of us rooting for the little JMU ballhawk at one time.

I am not sure we can blame the years long gaping hole in the center of our 3rd and long D on LBs. How many years are we at now? Its almost like our DC just pick up our fired DCs playbook and nothing changes. 

Unless we have had the leagues worst collective LBs for years I don't buy it. With RR and JDR now firmly entrenched they are running out of excuses fast to blame our LBs. And I didn't like the Mathis pick nothing against him I just don't see our front 4 protecting our LBs or whatever excuse we came up with to think we needed him. Including mismanaging our solid fleet of DL we are letting slip away that couldn't protect our LBs previously.

I think long time fans saw the 4-3 standard base D of the 70's transform into a very aggressive attacking style league wide. Yet our D seems stuck in 1970 until we are backed up inside our 20 and then we bring 1 delayed on 3rd - BFD. Worried about giving up the big play? Well at least the D won't be gassed and our offense ice cold every game and it may will generate more turnovers - dictate play for once. Make OCs adjust and OL commit penalties and make mistakes. Knock the ****ing QBs head off in the 1st quarter and he may get happy feet or norvous.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

Where are we truthfully at at this point, in regards to the grading of our DL (as a whole). Is it possible they're simply overrated, or have they been mismanaged/not helped by the rest of the D? Methinks it's all the above, so I remain hopeful that they'll play more dominant if our coverage improves/holds up.

53 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Where are we truthfully at at this point, in regards to the grading of our DL (as a whole). Is it possible they're simply overrated, or have they been mismanaged/not helped by the rest of the D? Methinks it's all the above, so I remain hopeful that they'll play more dominant if our coverage improves/holds up.

Last year the third down defense was terrible for different reasons at different points in the season.  Early on, it was mostly issues in secondary.   Young misses the last 9 games of the season and Sweat misses 7 so were down our best two pass rusher even though the secondary was playing better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Keim's podcast (Getting ready for KC) had Michael Phillips on talking about the LB'ers and he said David Mayo is looking better than last year and Davis has improved but not close to how Mayo is performing.

I hope Jamin gains the coaches trust sooner than later because he can physically do things Mayo can't. Doesn't matter how fast you run if you are slow to start and run to the wrong spot! 

Still though a guy like Jamin hopefully geta on the field, but not as a liability. 

It sucks they don't trust him in coverage (or at least didn't) because he is one of the best man coverage defenders on the team, probably better than some safeties

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Captain James said:

The DL is good. Above average for sure. But they aren't dominant. They don't really take over games unless the competition is vastly inferior(backup QB and/or OL like much of 2020).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I hope Jamin gains the coaches trust sooner than later because he can physically do things Mayo can't. Doesn't matter how fast you run if you are slow to start and run to the wrong spot! 

Still though a guy like Jamin hopefully geta on the field, but not as a liability. 

It sucks they don't trust him in coverage (or at least didn't) because he is one of the best man coverage defenders on the team, probably better than some safeties

I thought the beat reporters were saying that Jamin Davis was playing with Holcomb in passing situations and Mayo in run situations.  I think they trust Davis more in pass situations than run situations.

• Thumb up 1

I think the fact they haven’t picked up a LB outside of Gerry does indicate that they are pleased with what we are seeing from Jamin and Holcomb. I think they like Mayo for run downs. Still dangerously thin here imo and who knows maybe Jamin flops when the real lights come on but that has to be their thinking right now. That’s huge if it pans out. 

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I hope you’re right but I don’t see it personally. Would like to be proven wrong though.

Somethings off with this guy. Doesn't sound very intelligent when he talks and he's immature. Might be a late bloomer, but that's not the reviews from analysts. Definitely a terrible wasted #19 pick.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis is going to be really good. May take another year to really find his place, but I think he'll be good this year.

He has potential, but he has to show something after last year for me to have confidence that he has a shot to get where we want him to be. Not giving up on the guy, just don't have a world's worth of belief in him atm.

Doing decent in a vanilla preseason game that absolutely removes his largest problem of read/react aint a solid foundation to build confidence. He should get put to the test vs KC and we might gleam something of value after that. If he responds well there, I will feel much better about his outlook.

• Like 1

My theory has always been that if you suck out of the gate, you're probably always going to suck. You might get a little bit better, but you're never really gonna be great. The good players are pretty much at least pretty good right away. There are of course always exceptions, but its true more often than not. 

See our draft picks in recent memory. The ones who were bad right away pretty much always stay bad. The ones who are good right away turn out to be pretty good at least if not really good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My theory has always been that if you suck out of the gate, you're probably always going to suck. You might get a little bit better, but you're never really gonna be great. The good players are pretty much at least pretty good right away. There are of course always exceptions, but its true more often than not. 

I mostly agree with your sentiment.

But I would argue that Jamin can’t be considered “out of the gate” yet. This season will be telling.

ETA: Please don’t (not you specifically Warhead) chime in with the tired as **** “but you don’t pick a raw player at 19” stuff. Please scream it into your pillow and save us from your redundant and uninteresting points of view. 😆

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I mostly agree with your sentiment.

But I would argue that Jamin can’t be considered “out of the gate” yet. This season will be telling.

ETA: Please don’t (not you specifically Warhead) chime in with the tired as **** “but you don’t pick a raw player at 19” stuff. Please scream it into your pillow and save us from your redundant and uninteresting points of view. 😆

This is my thought process with jamin as well.

I'd be lying if I said I don't have my concerns but I'd be far more concerned if he was a 4 year starter in college. Then we could consider him "out of the gate" so to speak but because he was so incredibly raw the potential for serious growth is there much longer.

Just because he was a first round pick doesn't mean his trajectory can't be the same as so many raw players that have become pro bowlers after shaky starts to their careers. 

• Like 1