Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Your assumption though is predicated on team building directed by signing outside FAs and you are worried that they will fail at it.  Also it seems predicated on things staying like they are now. 

If they stay like now, its actually a depressing thought.  We got some great young bucks playing the D line but yet we arguably one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL.  If i thought those 4 D lineman can lead this team to glory as the key unit and we just keep building around those 4, I'd be with you.  But great-consistent teams tend to build around a QB not the D line or for that matter any other spot.  And look paying three guys on the D line 20-25 million is pretty top heavy for a position.  And I am good with that.   Your argument is going top heavy isn't enough -- you want to go full out where they end up spending more money at that spot than any team in the league and likely by a good margin, 

The balanced teams tend to do best eveything being equal.  Tampa was loaded everywhere.    Yeah a QB could change the need to be balanced.

What if Cosmi develops into a franchise LT, and you got to pay him big?  What if they find a QB?   What if they do find a shutdown corner and have to pay them?  What if they don't strike out in the draft or FA?

Your point seems to be the bird in hand is best.  I'd agree if we are talking a QB but I don't think you can afford to overdo it money wise with any spot on the team sans QB assuming you got the right QB.   It's not IMO about assuming success or lack thereof in personnel quests.  There is a reason why Joel Corry and the Over the Cap guys, etc focus on how much money teams spend per position.  The reason being is there is a method to the madness for it. 

The Steelers and Ravens are two of the most models of consistency but they let some of their guys go.  The best analogy i can think of is you want to rebalance your portfolio every now and then othewise the lack of diversity in your portfolio can come and burn you. 

You can't really cite the Steelers and Ravens. FAs want to go to those teams. FAs don't want to come here, which is why is we tend to end up with the Paul Richardsons of the world instead of resigning the Jamison Crowders and Preston Smiths. For this team, it can't let any good young talent leave in FA and needs to overpay to keep them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I kinda felt bad for Cole. Dude was straight out hung out to dry all game. I remember that one play where he was on Kamara streaking down the sidelines and Winston overthrew him. I’m like, “how does that even happen??”

It's literally the equivalent of a coach expecting Steph Curry to take Lebron James down on the block.  If the scheme is to put anyone but Curl or Jamin Davis on Kamara then the problem is with your thinking.  I'll just be blunt here.  

Idiot Reaction GIF

• Like 2

The Rams have Jalon Ramsey playing a similar as Cole Holcomb on third downs, wonder who’s going to fair better in those situations. I’d put William Jackson in for Holcomb, forgot the idea of Landon Collins. Give me 4.4 speed with elite coverage ability in and around the line of scrimmage. 

Get leaner and faster. Must adapt, not sure the old head approach will get the team there. 

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Heck Collins even took the luxury to throw his DC under the bus saying they were unprepared. Nice from you guy, but at some point Del Rio is not on the field anymore. And if he was, even at his age he would probably play with more heart than those guys are showing.

No amount of preparation, even from the best coach available, could make up for the lack of effort on the field.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Those guys in the secondary are just unbearable. I still can't believe they think they played good... I wouldn't complain if they'd been cut on monday morning, then resigned guys like Moreland or Reed Doughty. They aren't world beaters, but at least they're moving their asses on the field.

Or at least the backups we already have - Apke, Forrest, Everett, or Reaves.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carex said:

was he surrounded? To me it looked like there was no one in front of him to jump up.  They allowed the receivers to get in front so there was no real way to contest it

Literally surrounded ? no

A player doesn't have to be in front of the receiver to get a hand on the ball.

They can jump from behind, or from the side.

There was numerous "defenders" that were within arms reach of that ball, that didn't bat an eyelash.

They just stood there and watched as our house burned down.

It was like teenagers or the young crowd who see an emergency happening, and someone needs help, but instead of reaching out to help, they spend the whole time recording the video with their phone, and watching in awe as a spectator.

8 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

If he is still on the team when today ends it will tell Me that there is no accountability for losing 

If he called out his own DC, yeah.

Remember the last time a Safety on our team did that ? DJ Swearinger

And what happened to him ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Fine with me.

At least I'll know what I'll get, and they'll put a better effort than what I see right now.

Agreed. Players fighting for every inch because their career rely on it. Not a bunch of guys counting their money just going through the motions. I honestly hope this team loses the next three games by 60 points each. 

3 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

That is a curious situation.  Physically, he's doing well.  So it must be mental gaffes.  If so, why is he the only one losing playing time?!?!?  You can't be successful with a double standard.  If you're going to withhold playing time from a rookie just learning then you damn sure should be treating highly paid vets who should know better the same!  That's a good way to lose your players confidence. 

To keep it simple...Jamin sucks right now.  Not because he's not a good athlete or a good kid, he's not a very good football player right now.  

There is only so much you can do to hide him.  He's constantly out of position because the game is soooooo fast for him right now.  Worst of all, he's not a very physically imposing player.  He stays on the ground, he doesn't strike people, and he's just timid.  He needs a full offseason to gain weight, build a NFL body, and get reps at Will Linebacker.  He's not a MIKE.

We need to do what the Ravens did when Dobbins got hurt.  Sign every experienced body to the practice squad and active them when they get in shape to play.

Sign Reuben Foster and Benardrick McKinney to the practice squad right now!

How awesome would it be to have an aggressive playcaller who plays a lot of man to man like Wink Martindale?

Gus Bradley will likely be looking for a new job next season once the Raiders' new coach brings his own staff in. That's one guy who would be an upgrade over Del Rio

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Your assumption though is predicated on team building directed by signing outside FAs and you are worried that they will fail at it.  Also it seems predicated on things staying like they are now. 

If they stay like now, its actually a depressing thought.  We got some great young bucks playing the D line but yet we arguably one of the 5 worst teams in the NFL.  If i thought those 4 D lineman can lead this team to glory as the key unit and we just keep building around those 4, I'd be with you.  But great-consistent teams tend to build around a QB not the D line or for that matter any other spot.  And look paying three guys on the D line 20-25 million is pretty top heavy for a position.  And I am good with that.   Your argument is going top heavy isn't enough -- you want to go full out where they end up spending more money at that spot than any team in the league and likely by a good margin, 

The balanced teams tend to do best eveything being equal.  Tampa was loaded everywhere.    Yeah a QB could change the need to be balanced.

What if Cosmi develops into a franchise LT, and you got to pay him big?  What if they find a QB?   What if they do find a shutdown corner and have to pay them?  What if they don't strike out in the draft or FA?

Your point seems to be the bird in hand is best.  I'd agree if we are talking a QB but I don't think you can afford to overdo it money wise with any spot on the team sans QB assuming you got the right QB.   It's not IMO about assuming success or lack thereof in personnel quests.  There is a reason why Joel Corry and the Over the Cap guys, etc focus on how much money teams spend per position.  The reason being is there is a method to the madness for it. 

The Steelers and Ravens are two of the most models of consistency but they let some of their guys go.  The best analogy i can think of is you want to rebalance your portfolio every now and then othewise the lack of diversity in your portfolio can come and burn you. 

You're correct about my assumption, but I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption. I'm looking at our recent history. We don't have the reputation to attract the top caliber FAs at the moment. We typically get mid to bottom grade FAs and we typically overpay.

My preference for conservative spending in FA answers the problem you're trying to solve by letting our talent walk(or trading them away). Would you not say our FA spending is a bigger cap issue than overspending to keep our own talent? When has overspending to keep talent been our issue? We have had the issue with FAs for decades.

If Cosmi develops, you don't sign another Landon Collins, Paul Richardson, Ryan Fitzpatrick and you'll have the money to pay him. Our team being ranked low isn't because of the DL. We would be worse without them. You are making a big assumption that you replace the one you let go. You're much more likely to create another hole on the roster. We are at the beginning of the rebuild. Not the end. The method to the madness in the cap comes into play when we already have a loaded roster like the teams you're mentioning. 

The Steelers and Ravens are both teams who built their defenses how I'm suggesting. When they have marquee players, especially in the trenches, they keep them. Both teams have been anchored by veteran DL like I'm suggesting we do. Our 4 DL are nowhere near their peak. If you look at any of the top DL, they hit their peak in their late 20s, early 30s, so getting each of our guys to at least a 2nd contract is essential. We don't have to make the tough decisions about who to let go, like those teams, because we only have a few other players who will command anything. As long as we don't waste 10s of millions on FAs, we will be fine.

You rebalance our portfolio through the draft. If you do it that way, you get young talent at any position you need, and it's for a bargain. You can resign our current players if your plan is to build through the draft. What if we draft a good QB? What if we draft a solid CB? etc etc. Everything you're stating about free agency is what I would say about the draft. We have had more success recently from the draft than FA too, in my opinion. I think most would agree.

Keep the players we have now who can play (DL, #17, Cosmi, etc)(all drafted btw) and add more talent through the draft. FA should only be used for obvious upgrades or bargain pieces.

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, IrepDC said:

My preference for conservative spending in FA answers the problem you're trying to solve by letting our talent walk(or trading them away). Would you not say our FA spending is a bigger cap issue than overspending to keep our own talent? When has overspending to keep talent been our issue? We have had the issue with FAs for decades.

Keep the players we have now who can play (DL, #17, Cosmi, etc)(all drafted btw) and add more talent through the draft. FA should only be used for obvious upgrades or bargain pieces.

It's a solid plan as long as we draft well, cherry pick the FA's that fit our systems and our players buy into the staff

Last year our players were buying into this staff, believing in RR and knew they were a year away.

Right now I'd say the defense is going to need to get their sh** together or players with maturing contracts will look to sign elsewhere. Same with FA's

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2

Reaves and Curl  were a top in the NFL tandom the last few games last year.

Why in the world did Reaves get cut, and Curl get benched to start this season?

You would have though continuity of play would have dictated they keep their jobs.

RR is starting to run a club based on his inabilty, lack of desire, ummmm unwillingness to shake up the secondary.

There were multiple plays where 26 was jogging/loafing across the field even in some cases where he could have contributed to or made a play.

Another once-hopeful season dashed on the rocks of WFT ineptitude.

Hey guys, long time reader here and first time poster. I put together a little blog post trying to use Football Outsiders data to quantify how brutal our drop in defensive performance has been from this year to last year if anyone has any interest in checking it out: 

https://medium.com/down-in-the-ds/the-meteoric-demise-of-the-wft-defense-f7e73462da3 

The stats are only through the first four games, but it was unfortunately more of the same this past Sunday so I'd be surprised if the rankings changed materially. Hoping we can right the ship the next couple weeks! 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2