Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else beyond frustrated??

Giddy4Gibson

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

“A team that can’t even pick a name for itself” um, except you’re wrong. They decided on a name, they’re going through the legal stuff now. 

And how long has it taken them?  A team without a head up it’s ass would’ve seen the writing on the wall that the name change would happen and would’ve planned accordingly.  It’s indicative of how fugazi they are. 

Edited by Catatonic
  • Confused 1

Herbert over Young?! No. He would have sucked here- rookie coordinator (questionable hire over O’Connell), mediocre o-line, one good WR, converted TE, a defense incapable of stopping competent QBs, a thoroughly unsupportive fan base, and a team undergoing extreme scrutiny for sexual harassment and an offensive name. This team was so fundamentally flawed to start 2020 that no QB could possibly succeed. We’re still not a stable organization, but we might be more hospitable to a young QB in a year or so.

• Like 3

I'm only frustrated in the performance of the defensive line. I expected them to lose, I didn't expect the entire defensive line not to show up. That was the game right there, much more so than the coaching, the kicker or anything else.  Everything plays off that defensive line, the strength of the team. Getting pressure was not only expecting it was crucial to their overall defensive performance and it was non-existent. I didn't expect that at all, I agree with the earlier comment that they read too many of their own press clippings.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

5 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I don’t get pissed anymore.  When they actually start being truly competitive I’ll get upset.  It’s not worth it anymore.

Exactly. This team has been mediocre-to-atrocious since the Clinton Administration so what's even to get upset about anymore?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can't figure out if the style of defense our coaches employ is too old-school to oppose modern NFL offense or if it simply a matter of not getting a good return on our investments for all the high draft picks.  When you look around the league it seems like the modern offenses are built to combat the pass rush.  They are drawing up plays that don't have the QB dropping back and holding onto the ball.  More and more sacks seem to be coming when the coverage is not leaving options out there and it allows the pass rush extra time to get home.  It makes me wonder if our D-line really is not as good as we expected or if it is more a matter of them only having 2-3 seconds to get to the QB on most passing plays.

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

We went over this a week or so ago but to me that performance was the sole result of not playing the starters in pre-season. They looked like they hadn't played together because they hadn't.

Can't agree with this. The Chargers' starters didn't play together at all during the pre-season and they executed much better, despite the new coaching staff. No excuse for not being able to build chemistry in training camp alone.

To me that performance is a result of an inconsistent team with lower level talent at key positions being outplayed by a likely superior team.

Edited by my_friend_goo
  • Like 4

It was just one game, and fans always overreact to what happened recently. But this was not just one game. We tuned in to see a stadium full of empty seats.  For the opener. For a team that so many predicted to win the division. A stadium with sewage dumping on these empty seats.  Of course the team lied and claimed it was rain water when it had not rained because this is how our team operates.  Then the game began and the team came out flat and was totally outplayed.  In their home opener with high expectations.

It was only 1 game, but it's been playing for over 20 years.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Fair point and I know people don't agree, but many of us said last week, if they turn up against the Chargers and look like they hadn't even met before then we would blame the pre-season. You're probably right about the superior team though

The pre season games don’t mean a whole lot given the example the other team did not use them either. Pretty sure they said on the broadcast Herbert didn’t play a single snap this Orr season. Not one. I know what y’all are saying, I get it. But the evidence just doesn’t support that being THE issue. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I can't figure out if the style of defense our coaches employ is too old-school to oppose modern NFL offense or if it simply a matter of not getting a good return on our investments for all the high draft picks.  When you look around the league it seems like the modern offenses are built to combat the pass rush.  They are drawing up plays that don't have the QB dropping back and holding onto the ball.  More and more sacks seem to be coming when the coverage is not leaving options out there and it allows the pass rush extra time to get home.  It makes me wonder if our D-line really is not as good as we expected or if it is more a matter of them only having 2-3 seconds to get to the QB on most passing plays.

I get this feeling as well. Rivera and Del Rio have been around for a long time and NFL offenses have changed rapidly in the past 5 years or so with the adoption of college concepts. It could have been just a bad game but I wonder if we are at a disadvantage schematically on defense. It just seems like whenever we play an offense coordinated by this new gen of offensive coaches we have a really tough time. 

It could be worse - The Packers fired Mike Pettine and replaced him with Joe Barry...you remember, the guy Gruden hired instead of Wade Phillips cuz he "liked his energy"....the guy with historically atrocious defenses...the guy who inspired a reporter to ask the Lions coach "do you ever wish your daughter married a better defensive coordinator?". And he made Jameis Winston look like Kurt Warner yesterday, throwing 5 TD passes and putting up 38 points.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I get what you're saying about the Chargers and pre-season but our team looked unprepared and on completely the wrong page with each other. I am putting that down to our pre-season training and games until someone comes up with a better suggestion. Maybe the Chargers do play walk-throughs or whatever in training and we don't. Our performance was dreadful and we made the Chargers look like Superbowl Champions. 

I hope (really hope) that game was our 4th pre-season game and we come out firing and prepared on Thursday night.

Just now, UK Skins said:

I get what you're saying about the Chargers and pre-season but our team looked unprepared and on completely the wrong page with each other. I am putting that down to our pre-season training and games until someone comes up with a better suggestion. Maybe the Chargers do play walk-throughs or whatever in training and we don't. Our performance was dreadful and we made the Chargers look like Superbowl Champions. 

I hope (really hope) that game was our 4th pre-season game and we come out firing and prepared on Thursday night.

If they come out anymore flat than yesterday, there will be no reason to show up. I wanted a win, we could've won, but a loss isn't the end of the world. That kind of loss, however, does bring up a lot of questions.

• Thumb up 1

Were the Chargers really 14/18 on 3rd down... that's atrocious. 

Didn't see a single snap, but to lose a home opener to another 'average team' puts this team directly in the fraud category... where they are perennial members. So, it's kinda hard to be frustrated or disappointed. 

The defense should be sickened by that performance. They obviously need a better secondary, but I can't imagine anyone played well with that stat. 

With this schedule, 5 win season based on Philly and Dallas' somewhat impressive/functional performances. 

Please get a QB so this team can be somewhat relevant again in my or my children's lifetime. I'd trade the whole defense for a franchise QB right now (even one with a fetish for massage therapy)

2 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Edited by Bonez3

Just now, Bonez3 said:

Were the Chargers really 14/18 on 3rd down... that's atrocious. 

Didn't see a single snap, but to lose a home opener to another 'average team' puts this team directly in the fraud category... where they are perennial members. So, it's kinda hard to be frustrated or disappointed. 

The defense should be sickened by that performance. They obviously need a better secondary, but I can't imagine anyone played well with that stat. 

With this schedule, 5 win season based on Philly and Dallas' somewhat impressive/functional performances. 

Please get a QB so this team can be somewhat relevant again in my or my children's lifetime. I'd trade the whole defense for a franchise QB right now (even one with a fetish for massage therapy)

If you watched you wouldn't call the Chargers average. They are much better than recent success would lead on. They've lost a lot of very close games. Now they have a new HC, Herbert is a Stud and they have Joey Bosa on the other side. They have good big bodied receivers and a good running back to complement them. The only average team on the field yesterday was the WFT. 

7 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

If you watched you wouldn't call the Chargers average. They are much better than recent success would lead on. They've lost a lot of very close games. Now they have a new HC, Herbert is a Stud and they have Joey Bosa on the other side. They have good big bodied receivers and a good running back to complement them. The only average team on the field yesterday was the WFT. 

Going to be interesting to see Dallas v Chargers this week.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I understand the talent they have and the upward trajectory  they are on. But they have yet to take the next step, and frankly, will be hard pressed to be a wildcard team this year in AFC. Basically, an average team, I'd give you above average for sure.

Doesn't change my statement. Must win game if your going to be 'above average'. 

1 hour ago, UK Skins said:

We need a blowout win. The NYG suck and we need to separate ourselves from them in terms of who the better team is. Having TH start should make a big difference but the offensive line and our offensive coaches need to step up. Also, Barkley will run all over us if we don't play better run defense than we did yesterday. Bad loss yesterday means we'll now have to steal a win somewhere down the schedule. In Heiny we trust.

12 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I understand the talent they have and the upward trajectory  they are on. But they have yet to take the next step, and frankly, will be hard pressed to be a wildcard team this year in AFC. Basically, an average team, I'd give you above average for sure.

Doesn't change my statement. Must win game if your going to be 'above average'. 

I happen to think they have a good chance at a wildcard birth and I think they are above average with the talent at QB.

As far as the Pats fan who wanted back in, has he changed his mind yet??

The chargers are a very good team, and we had our opportunities to win, and TH may be even better than Fitz, so I'm not in the sky is falling mind frame.  But I am concerned that the defense let Herbert pretty much have his way with us, and we didn't do anything to stop it.  Defense needs show they are worth the big next contract with results, not potential of what could be.

I'll also add yesterday was the first time I thought the idea of passing on chase young for a qb was actually worthy of debate.  I'm not calling young a bust, I know he is a stud, but you can't argue with the fact that Herbert was on point, and young was invisible.   I bet Herbert will be in the elite tier for qbs for this next generation.  Tua also player pretty well yesterday.  Hopefully young rebounds quickly.

Edited by KillBill26