Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBSsports.com: Washington and DL J. Allen agree to a four-year, $72 million extension

TK

Washington and defensive lineman Jonathan Allen agree to a four-year, $72 million extension

By Jordan Dajani

The Washington Redskins defense was the unit that carried the franchise to an NFC East title in 2020, and the front office has now rewarded one of their most important players with a huge extension. On Monday, Team IFA announced that their client, defensive lineman Jonathan Allen, had agreed to terms on a four-year, $72 million extension with a $30 million signing bonus.

Allen continued to prove he is one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL last season, as he recorded 63 combined tackles, two sacks and 14 quarterback hits in 16 games played. Jared Dubin of CBS Sports ranked Allen as the No. 10 best interior defensive lineman in the NFL entering the 2021 season. While he didn't rack up sacks in Washington's new defense last year, he ranked 19th among interior defenders (out of 137 who played 25-plus snaps per game) in WOW Rtg. Allen confirmed the extension on Twitter following his agency's announcement. 

These reported contract numbers would make Allen the fourth-highest paid defensive tackle in terms of average salary ($18 million) -- per Spotrac. Allen played his high school ball close to Washington's headquarters at Stone Bridge High School in Ashburn, Virginia. He committed to Alabama to play under Nick Saban, and won the CFP national championship in 2015 and was named the SEC Defensive player of the Year in 2016. 

After an illustrious collegiate career, Washington took Allen with the No. 17 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft after his stock fell due to concerns about medicals. While he missed most of his rookie season due to injury, Allen lived up to expectations in Year 2, and has missed just one game over the last three seasons. In 52 career games, he has recorded 202 combined tackles, 17 sacks and 45 quarterback hits.

Allen's production as a defensive lineman clearly stood out to those in the Washington organization, as they selected a defensive lineman in the first round over the next three drafts. Now, with a front four which includes Allen, Montez Sweat, Chase Young and Daron Payne, Washington has what is seen as the best defensive line in the NFL. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

So it begins.. Ioannidis is locked up till '23. Where does that leave Payne? I'm sure its something to be addressed next season since he was drafted in '18. To me the answer seems Payne might be the odd man out. Not due to lack of talent, Maybe trade Payne and get a Lions share while he's still cheap for a couple years before you lose him for nothing. I don't think you can keep him at the price he's going to deserve.

Congrats JA, well deserved..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

It’s nice to see out players actually wanting to stay with the WFT.  A foundation piece of our defense, leader in the locker room, and still in his prime.  Pretty big #s but it won’t stop signing a couple more of our guys.  See what happens when you don’t lock all your cap space chasing over priced free agents.  Great news.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

5 years $82m I like it, everyone’s a winner, and it further sets the culture, play well and buy into Rivera’s plans, and you will be rewarded

Now we just gotta trade away Scherff and use that money on extending McClaurin, happy days

Is that 5 years including the 5th year option that we exercised? Or is it 5 years on top of this year meaning it runs through 2026?

Good contract. $18 million per year with $30 million in the bonus gives us flexibility to still sign Payne till Chase/Montez are due up. That contract isn’t so bad that we could still move Allen. 

Also shows the young players that if you play right then you will get rewarded. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Good contract. $18 million per year with $30 million in the bonus gives us flexibility to still sign Payne till Chase/Montez are due up. That contract isn’t so bad that we could still move Allen. 

Also shows the young players that if you play right then you will get rewarded. 

They'll get rewarded regardless if it's by us or not lol. We are the ones that could be rewarded with fair contracts if we turn it around and make this place a location players want to play at. Teams will overpay for our DL if they hit FA.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is that 5 years including the 5th year option that we exercised? Or is it 5 years on top of this year meaning it runs through 2026?

I believe it is 5 years from here on out, bc I know he was slated to get his 1 yr, 10 mil dollar 5th year option, and with the first reports saying a 4 yr, 72 mil extension, that jives with the 5 yr 82 mil deal.   I love it.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 1

He's quick for his size but isn't really twitchy explosive. That's why you see him consistently applying pressure but not really racking up the sacks because he's consistently a millisecond late. On the flip side we did seem to play a disproportionate number of mobile QBs this season.

I’m shocked. Everyone and their grandma knows that next years cap is going to be massive, so I’m surprised anyone’s agent is letting them sign right now. It really seems like Allen just wanted to be here. I believe this makes him the 5th highest paid DT, which we all know he is not. But by next season he will be right where he belongs and the days of solid DTs making under $20m/yr will be long gone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

They'll get rewarded regardless if it's by us or not lol. We are the ones that could be rewarded with fair contracts if we turn it around and make this place a location players want to play at. Teams will overpay for our DL if they hit FA.

Yes our entire line will get paid no matter what. What I was trying to say is that resigning Allen shows the line that we will take care of our own. That will go a long way when trying to resign Chase/Montez and hopefully we get a little hometown discount. 

• Like 2

This really is awesome on training camp eve. We have some truly awesome players that really want to be here and play together. I really think this teams going to be special. 

4 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

So it begins.. Ioannidis is locked up till '23. Where does that leave Payne? I'm sure its something to be addressed next season since he was drafted in '18. To me the answer seems Payne might be the odd man out. Not due to lack of talent, Maybe trade Payne and get a Lions share while he's still cheap for a couple years before you lose him for nothing. I don't think you can keep him at the price he's going to deserve.

Congrats JA, well deserved..

Don't be no cloud on a sunny day mehson 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Yes our entire line will get paid no matter what. What I was trying to say is that resigning Allen shows the line that we will take care of our own. That will go a long way when trying to resign Chase/Montez and hopefully we get a little hometown discount. 

Definitely true, I'm just happy we finally signed someone that we drafted. I think Ioannidis may have been the last one, I could be wrong though. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, London Kev said:

I'm glad we got the big guy signed, also it's a feel-good story just before training camp, win-win.

Yeah, I think it was also kind of important for the team to re-sign one of its own. They just let Moses go, Kerrigan, Scherrf is on his way out. It's probably good for the team to make a statement that says, "We do want to keep our own homegrown good talent and we aren't opposed to paying a 'fair' rate."

• Like 1