Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Quarterback Competition - Good for the Team?

ODU AGGIE

RR has made it quite clear that he is going to have an open competition for the starting QB position because he believes it will be good for the Team. Pundit Matt Fitzgerald believes it is a bad idea.

https://sportsnaut.com/washington-football-team-playoff-qb-competition/

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/washington-football-team-news-qb-could-taylor-heinicke-push-ryan-fitzpatrick-starter

It looks to me like this is the biggest issue going into training camp. Personally, I think it is a great idea, but then, I am an avowed Heinicke fan and believe in a truly open competition TH will come out the  winner. So, what do the rest of you think? Did TH outplay Fitzpatrick during the OTAs? Good idea? Bad idea? Who do you think will be the starter? What will TH have to do to come out on top? What will FitzMagic have to do to stay on top -- or get beat out?

Edited by ODU AGGIE

I think the competition is going to go until the end of camp before RR names a starter.

I don’t have a horse in the race. I think it’s a great QB room... and each could excel. I’ll be confident and cheering for whomever is under center every Sunday.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if they all played at some point during the year. And I don’t mean that as a bad thing.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 3

Jerry Rice was one of the greats because during his exercise regimen he would go for a run so long that a rookie that asked for and was thrilled to join his workout was reduced to throwing up on the side of the road.  Rice pushed himself harder than most other WRs during his time, and that made the difference.

I am a firm believer that this competition is healthy for the team, especially since Heineke looked great in camp and isn't allowing any room for Fitzpatrick to become complacent.

• Like 4

Let me start with I think if Taylor has improved his durability he can and will surprise people and has a legitimate chance of being the long term starter.  

having said, Fitz has been around way too long to be complacent.  Taylor  had an edge in OTAs and minicamp knowing the system.  I expect Firz experience to land him the starting role. I also think that’s a good thing for Taylor.  The pressure he would be under if named the starter ahead of fitz would honestly be unfair.  Let him see how the veteran operates.  Fitz will likely either get injured or faulter in the season and open the door for Taylor.  That I believe would be the ideal situation for Taylor.  

I like the competition. And if Taylor truly beats everyone out then so be it.  I just have a hard time seeing him beat out fitz with all his experience in the league.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Let me start with I think if Taylor has improved his durability he can and will surprise people and has a legitimate chance of being the long term starter.  

having said, Fitz has been around way too long to be complacent.  Taylor  had an edge in OTAs and minicamp knowing the system.  I expect Firz experience to land him the starting role. I also think that’s a good thing for Taylor.  The pressure he would be under if named the starter ahead of fitz would honestly be unfair.  Let him see how the veteran operates.  Fitz will likely either get injured or faulter in the season and open the door for Taylor.  That I believe would be the ideal situation for Taylor.  

I like the competition. And if Taylor truly beats everyone out then so be it.  I just have a hard time seeing him beat out fitz with all his experience in the league.  

Hard to argue with anything you said, and I won't. I also like the competition, but I would hate to see it become a QB controversy with the teammates taking sides. That's not a big worry in my mind, but it is a nagging thought that keeps lurking in the dark recesses of my somewhat feeble, old mind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Hard to argue with anything you said, and I won't. I also like the competition, but I would hate to see it become a QB controversy with the teammates taking sides. That's not a big worry in my mind, but it is a nagging thought that keeps lurking in the dark recesses of my somewhat feeble, old mind.

Fitz isn't a divisive personality. From the moment he signed, he said all he wanted was a chance to start. He's been given a legitimate opportunity.

I'm more interested to see if it's a true QB competition..... I'm judging RR on this one. He admitted his mistake last year.... so he's not infallible. Now I want to see if he learned from it.

• Like 5

Having a true QB competition is not bad for the team. If you want to see it in a negative light, you could argue that it is a bad signal about the QB talent that only thing is that we have no known elite guy and don't want to give up what we'd have to to get him.

1 hour ago, ODU AGGIE said:

In previous years I would agree there should some concern. But not with this locker room.  Too much leadership.  Competition will be healthy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ODU AGGIE said:

I also like the competition, but I would hate to see it become a QB controversy with the teammates taking sides. 

Don't worry about that at all. The team in its current state is all in on Ron- whatever he says is the way. If we didn't have a total team meltdown with the Haskins experience there is no way its going to happen now. I believe the team probably feels like they can win with either Fitz or Taylor. 

• Like 4

Even if Taylor doesn't win the job outright, I could totally see a rotation of sorts when Fitz has his expected bad games. Gets pulled after two interceptions and Heinicke finishes out the game.

Or a ride the hot hand approach, play Fitz until a bad game then start Heinicke until he has a bad game then go back to Fitz.

• Sad 1

The fact that a QB competition is even being discussed means that we have (at least) two possible starters on the roster. What a refreshing position to find ourselves in.

I think it was Aristotle, or possibly Al Davis (I always get those two mixed up), who said "competition breeds excellence". I fully endorse this and it can only push all players involved to strive to improve themselves.

If I had to bet money on it, right now I would say that Fitz is the starter week one, and he would need to have a run of two or three bad games or an injury to get pulled. Heinicke may have to wait until next year to get his chance.

• Like 4

I doubt it's a true competition until we reach the regular season.  Rivera has admitted that he's not putting too much weight into Heinicke's game against Tampa because he viewed it as a QB "playing with nothing to lose".  Based on that, I don't think he'll ever be fully comfortable with Heinicke until he proves himself in live action over a number of games (whatever that number is in Rivera's mind).  It's a little bit of a chicken/egg scenario though, as Heinicke can't prove himself until he actually gets an opportunity to play that stretch of games.  I think Rivera will feel far more comfortable with the vet in there until he's forced to start Heinicke, either because of injury or poor play.

So I view this offseason as Heinicke proving that he can step into that starting QB role over a stretch of games if needed, partially by proving his durability during the preseason, but I don't think it'll actually happen unless Fitz plays poorly or gets injured during the regular season.

• Like 2

It's a (stupid) 17 game season (+3 more HTTR); guys will get dinged up and need a rest.  One thing I would not be surprised to see is Fitz (i'm presuming he starts) getting "benched" in the 2nd half if we have a comfortable lead.  Gets Heiny some reps and keeps Fitz from getting hit, which he will even if it's not a sack.

• Like 2

An open competition is best for the team. I think Ron mentioned that he made a mistake last year naming Haskins the starter quicker than he wanted and a part of me feels that even though signs point to Fitzpatrick, Ron probably noticed Taylor has a legit shot.

• Like 1

I like the declaration of a qb competition.   No one should rest on their laurels, everyone should earn their spot.  And let's be honest, Fitz is already the implied starter / leader, the only way TH gets it is if he is significantly better in training camp, and if TH is significantly better, we would want TH to be the starter too.  

I don't see Fitz losing the battle, and I believe in TH.  I think both qbs can succeed with the teams makeup: strong defense, solid oline, and a number of weapons.  

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 3

If there was a carryover starter on the team, it'd be different.

In this situation, any QB who would whine about having to compete probably shouldn't be in the locker room.

The only worry is the eventual starter not getting enough reps in camp.

• Like 1

I agree with @Koolblue13in that "open competition" basically means Heinicke (or Allen) would have the chance to unseat Fitz, not that there's absolutely no presumption of a starter at all.

The coaches and FO were open about wanting an upgrade at the QB position in the offseason. They said Fitz was the guy they really wanted in FA and they got him and were excited about it. They got their guy, and I think it would be a little delusional to believe that they aren't going into this season with Fitz as the semi-presumptive starter.

Sure, the other guys can absolutely compete and could certainly unseat him, but IMO its Fitz job to lose and he'd probably have to really struggle for TH to be named starter before week 1. If Fitz goes into the season and plays really poorly over a period of time, I could definitely see Ron giving TH a shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

There wont be competition once rodgers gets here.

If Rodgers plays this year, it will be with Green Bay and only GB. If they part with Rodgers; it will be in 22.  There will be plenty of teams wanting his services in 22.

It’s Fitz and Heini for 2021. Poor Kyle, the odd man out.

Edited by Rdskns2000

"Open Quarterback Competition - Good for the Team?"- rhetorical question?..."open competition" for everyone...every ota...every preseason practice...every practice...every day...365.25...player, trainer, scout, coach...valet parking attendant...even if joe montana or jerry rice got beat out then they got beat out...no favorites in team...