Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

I know this wouldn’t be popular with a lot of us, but a trade for Deshaun Watson is one of few moves that could make us NFCE favorites for a decade. If he’s going to be cleared,

we need to give up the capital. I think you could probably now get him for just picks without players.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I don't expect any player to be great every game.  Sheehan likes Young but seems to also love to hammer him on the Tampa game.  For me, I give him a pass. 

For sure, not implying he’s impervious to a bad game. Some one breaking that game down may be able to grade it as a bad game (which I believe Cooley did give him a bad grade). There are times a player(s) can get swallowed up by the opponents game plan (other factors as well)— the Bucs on offense were firing on all cylinders from a schematic and physicality standpoint all game. 

Will continue to lament (it’s obvious, but I’m on the extreme) in order for the defense to become elite they must be a play making run defensive team. To point teams are worried about losing yards. Only way a team can be dominant in today’s game is to be stifling against the run. The Bucs were able to easily keep the defense off balance. 

Not all directed at you. 

Cooley for me says it best when he talks about if he were a GM, even as an X and O's guy, he puts a lot of stock in what players love football and have the desire to excel.  And those are the players he'd want to draft.  Young to me is a 10 out of 10 on that front.  

Part of the reason why I am a big Terry guy is he also to me is a 10 out of 10 on that front.  It's not just about having ability but also having the desire to be great. 

You could see it IMO on the NFL film shows where they showcase some players who talk about their craft.  When you hear how deep some go as far as learning and mastering the nuances of the game -- it's not shocking to me why they've excelled.

So I try to pay attention to that quality among our players.   Granted some of that involves guessing and extrapolating. For example I wasn't as big of a fan of Logan Thomas until recently when I listened to an interview where he came off so erudite and detailed about the spot, I was impressed.  Then he went to the TEs camp run by Kelce and some others a few weeks back.    It all gave me a vibe that Logan wants to be great and will put in the time to do it. 

For lack of a better analogy, some dudes just have that Rocky 3 Eye of the Tiger😀 determination.  And I don't mean it from an extreme point of view where some players have through the roof desire and others are just flat.  I think some are just average on that front -- they don't hit me lazy but also don't hit me as the extra mile type.

Chase to me comes off like an extra mile guy on steroids.  I'd put money that he ends up the best player we've had under Dan's reign.   I'd add that Rivera seems to stress this quality among others.  Over the years, I've listened and read to every interview i can as to the players the WFT drafted.  I can't recall a group like this one where every player but one (and its not that the one player came off poorly on it but he didn't stand out either from my observation) came off with super high intangibles.  Coaches love them, they work hard, leadership skills, etc.

Love all this and I think you may have just unlocked another elite coaching trait of Ron’s (in my view)— Identifying “eye of the tiger” guys without sacrificing athleticism lol. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I know this wouldn’t be popular with a lot of us, but a trade for Deshaun Watson is one of few moves that could make us NFCE favorites for a decade. If he’s going to be cleared,

we need to give up the capital. I think you could probably now get him for just picks without players.

Just curious if Russel Wilson is still an option next year, and if so, if we would be contenders with him. Thanks

Watson and Wilson would probably both command 3 1st round picks. 

They also both have no-trade clauses which means they get to pick where they'll go. IIRC both Watson and Wilson had info leaked about teams they'd consider playing for, and WFT was definitely not among them for either.

That's a pipe dream. 

• Thanks 1

So many QBs right now that are stars in the league were selected outside of the top 10. You've got to think we can get one some way, some how without selling the farm and the future. I'm slowly more against giving up multiple 1st round picks if this team keeps proving they can draft well. Eventually we will find our future guy, and he will be a just a piece on a loaded roster hopefully. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

It doesn’t particularly matter if we were on Watson’s list last year. Our roster is light years better than the Eagles. I doubt Houston is trading him in conference. What team in the NFC, that needs a QB, is likely to have a more attractive roster than ours at the end of this year? 

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It doesn’t particularly matter if we were on Watson’s list last year. Our roster is light years better than the Eagles. I doubt Houston is trading him in conference. What team in the NFC, that needs a QB, is likely to have a more attractive roster than ours at the end of this year? 

I don't see why it wouldn't matter if we were on his list last year. I doubt his list would suddenly change. There are lots of different reasons players who can choose decide to go to certain teams or locations instead of others besides just strength of roster.

Watson isn't coming here.

Even if he randomly decided he did want to play here I don't think we'd have the draft capital and I also think that Ron might not think very highly of Watson after all the sexual assault stuff.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't see why it wouldn't matter if we were on his list last year. I doubt his list would suddenly change. There are lots of different reasons players who can choose decide to go to certain teams or locations instead of others besides just strength of roster.

Even if he randomly decided he did want to play here I don't think we'd have the draft capital and I also think that Ron might not think very highly of Watson after all the sexual assault stuff.

I agree about Ron maybe not being interested. But the rumor was that we were sniffing around him as recently as any other team. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I agree about Watson being out because Ron would never consider him even if he crapped solid gold bars. But I have never heard that Wilson snubbed the WFT, or coach Rivera or this dynamite roster or the DC area. Heard it about Rogers and Stafford though. Why wouldn't Wilson want to come to a stacked team, on the brink of greatness? He is a smart guy.

9 hours ago, mudhog said:

I agree about Watson being out because Ron would never consider him even if he crapped solid gold bars. But I have never heard that Wilson snubbed the WFT, or coach Rivera or this dynamite roster or the DC area. Heard it about Rogers and Stafford though. Why wouldn't Wilson want to come to a stacked team, on the brink of greatness? He is a smart guy.

I don't know about directly snubbed, but IIRC there were reports that leaked of the teams Wilson had on his short list, and we weren't on it.

• Thanks 1

Fitzpatrick looks to be QB1, but what about late-season hero Taylor Heinicke? Kyle Allen? While a potential competition in camp makes for great journalism, I say otherwise, in that Washington, for the first time in a long while, has a slew of options to line up under center that can indeed get the job done and lead Washington to their second consecutive division title. 

The fact remains that if Washington is able to enjoy a tick above-average play from the quarterback position, something they’ve been famished of in recent seasons, the ceiling for a group highlighting one of the truly elite defenses in all of football will continue to rise. A tough schedule doesn’t offer them much favors, as they’ll line up toe-to-toe with Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, and Justin Herbert in just the first half of the season. However, if Washington is able to take care of the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, and New York Giants, all games included in their early-season gauntlet, while staying competitive against the league’s elite, they’ll navigate their way through tough waters still in contention—we’ve seen the heroics Fitzpatrick has been able to summon over his career, it’s no secret.  

Washington is currently listed below the mangled Falcons, identity-searching Chicago Bears, and quarterback-less Saints as +2800 to win the conference

—it’s a bet I wouldn’t mind throwing some cash on considering the fact if Tampa Bay were to succumb to unforeseen circumstances and Rodgers were to depart Green Bay, Washington could be competing for their first NFC title since 1991 if all goes right.

It’s time to turn our attention to the group in the nation’s capital. The days of the burgundy and gold coinciding with the NFC East’s cellar have surely become a thing of the past as we raise our eyes toward the future under Rivera. Built upon a foundation of character and youthful, hungry talent, the ceiling and projected success of a unit littered with many of the league’s top budding stars is uncapped, a trend not of usual circumstance as we approach the meat of the offseason. Rivera has high hopes for his group, and if all things mesh, a spot in the conference’s final four will surely announce the revival of a once-storied, illustrious franchise.

• Like 2

Ron will not give up 3 #1’s for any veteran player. I think what we were willing to give up for Stafford is what he’s willing to give up for a vet QB.

He might be willing to give up more, for the right rookie QB.

If Ron doesn’t find that long term qb; his tenure will end here.

• Like 1