Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wonder if this means we're in a 5-2 alignment or of this is just a goal line package. I'd love if we came out on 1st down in the 5-2 sometimes. Shut down the running opportunities early. 

Those 5 on the line, means someone is getting home. Add in an A gap Blitz and the QB has 2 seconds to pass. We have bump and run man CBs so WRs are probably out. They'd have to keep at least one player in to block. 

This defense is going to be so fun to watch.

Those 5 on the line. McCain and Curl at the hashes, Juice and WJIII locked outside. Collins roaming joker. Davis I guess in the under zone. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm not really sure why SF is #2 on that list at DE. Don't they just have Nick Bosa? I'd take our duo over any of the teams above us, Clowney continues to be overrated by the media, nobody has a 2nd DE as good as ours. 

Arik Armstead and Dee Ford are their other edge guys.  It's a good three man group.  I would rather have Chase and Montez than Bosa and Armstead, but that difference should be marginal this season and Dee Ford is way better than our third guy.  Our interior is a lot better than theirs, but they do have some significant upside in that group if Kinlaw makes a leap.

But there is not a chance in Hell I'd trade IDL groups with the Giants.  The Rams are also entirely top heavy and were really reliant on Brandon Staley's unique (and gimmicky) scheme to be as successful as they were last season.  Donald is Donald, but I wouldn't trade IDL groups with them either.  I also think we have a better secondary than ESPN gave us credit for since our safeties are better than they realize.  IMO Pittsburgh is the only defense that is just out and out superior to ours in terms of talent and balance.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't know, we gave up a 5th for Allen didn't we? If we can't at least get that back then there's no sense trading either of them unless it's for a player we like and I doubt anyone would give up a decent player for a backup QB. 

Yeah we traded a 5th for Allen. But that was also before he had a really bad season ending ankle injury that he's still recovering from; I have doubts that we'd be able to recoup the 5th given that.

With Heinicke who knows. Maybe someone really is in love with him from the TB game and would give up a pick higher than a 6th, but I sort of doubt it. 

That's why I said I'd rather just keep them as decent backups. As you noted, it's unlikely a team would give up a decent starting caliber player for a backup QB, and it's also pretty unlikely that that 6th or 7th round pick would turn into anything.

14 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Anybody else not seeing AGG make the final 53?

I wouldn’t be surprised. He has accomplished nothing to warrant making the team except for potential.

I hope William Jackson plays well this year. Little odds and ends about him make me nervous a little. 

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The defense making a leap accelerated the rebuild.  The window to do something while the defensive talent is on rookie contracts has begun.  That and, in the NFL, unlike the NBA, windows open and shut really fast.  It's possible we can contend this season (but extremely unlikely).

The problem is the offense is just not there, no matter what we think our defense is capable of.  We weren't able to pull off the concomitant growth on both sides of the ball necessary to be a real contender.  Part of that was the absolute failure of the Haskins and Guice picks, as they should be the backbone of an emergent offense in an ideal world.  Part of it was cycling through OL talent so rapidly, without necessarily coming up with upgrades.  Part of it is we just haven't gotten many big hits on mid to late round picks other than McLaurin, and the real contenders almost always get a lot of talent from those.  And part of it was that investing so heavily in the building of the defense absolutely came at the expense of the offense.  Using your resources is a zero sum game.  We seem to have scored big hits with our picks, but Montez cost us picks that could have been DK Metcalf and Jonathan Taylor or Jaylon Johnson or AJ Epenesa.  Chase cost us Herbert or Tagavailoa.  Jamin Davis cost us Najee Harris.  We could have gone heavy but not so heavy on spending premium team building resources on the defense and been better off.  Obviously I would rather have DK Metcalf and one of the second round fallers from 2020 than Montez.  And Jamin Davis is the least defensible choice we made IMO.  At that point we'd invested four first round picks and two second round picks in four years on the front and Jamin Davis wasn't even a BPA pick.

We just need to find a QB.  We can justify every decision we've made if we can get Aaron Rodgers, DeShaun Watson, or Russell Wilson.  Then we just look like we've got a loaded roster due to all of the luxury picks we made at DL and LB, as happened for Tampa Bay.

• Like 3

I'm wondering if we're being more careful with the Jackson and Samuel injuries, or if we can legitimately expect these two to be out for the first few games of the season? Ron seems like he's very patient on getting his players back out on the field compared to Gruden. Maybe doing it this way will keep guys from missing huge portions of the season? It's hard to tell if injuries are more luck based or if you can actually alter your luck in some way with them. It does seem like some teams get more "lucky" with them than others. 

If Jackson is out, looks like we could be throwing Juice in the fire. I would be lying if I was saying I wasn't a little nervous at the possibility of him going against Keenan Allen in week one lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Dyami seems to have supplanted Cam Sims on the depth chart.  Moses was released to give room for Cosmi at RT.  Patterson is making his way to the team, unclear how that depth chart shakes out yet.  Rookies Bates and Reyes seem to be the #2 and #3 TE's over the veteran journeymen Hemingway and Seals-Jones.  So what you're asking for, seems to already be happening?

Moses's release wasn't for Cosmi's benefit.  He was swapped for Leno.  We could have played either Cosmi or Moses at LT if need be, or could have started Cosmi at LG too.  Kind of wish Cosmi was playing LT this year TBH, but it's fine the way it worked out.  Bates should be safe considering his lack of competition on the depth chart.  Reyes I'm not so sure about, but I really hope he makes it since I think he's the most enticing prospect on our roster.  We'd be crazy to cut him for a couple of scrubs like Seals-Jones or Hemingway--I don't think we are, but it shouldn't even be in the realm of consideration.  I think we'd also be crazy to cut either Milne or AGG for scrubs like Sims and Carter, but we might.

We've largely done what we can do in the constraints of limited team building resources committed to offense.  Signing Samuel and Humphries and Reyes seemed like good, economical moves.  Signing Fitz was a good move given our absolute lack of plan and direction at QB after Haskins flamed out.  Drafting Brown and Cosmi look like great picks, and I don't think I would do them over again even with hindsight.  What I really want and think needs to be done before we can become an honest contender simply isn't going to happen this season: hiring much better offensive coaches, drastically upgrading our skill talent, keeping the right side of our OL intact and finding long term options to the left side of our OL, and most of all, finding a good QB.  It'll take years to do those things, and I worry that we didn't accomplish enough offensive building in Rivera's first two offseasons to get this thing to work out.

I'm praying that all of the cupboard stocking and the cap frugality we've accomplished is enough to swing Aaron Rodgers next year.  That one move would make our build a success.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dyst said:

I wouldn’t be surprised. He has accomplished nothing to warrant making the team except for potential.

He probably makes it, from process of elimination

Or from a lack of competition.

And he's from Liberty U, so he's a man on a mission

And we may keep an extra player at the position.

I'm sure that's what he's wishin.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

I was curious how Rivera's last 2 squads were constructed.  Offense and defense both differ slightly per squad with D-line being the biggest change.  11 DL in 2019 and only 9 in 2020.

2019 Panthers

QB's = 3

RB's = 4

WR's = 6

TE's = 3

OL's = 9

DT's = 6

DE's = 5

LB = 5

DB's = 9 (no more detail but fairly safe to assume 4 S & 5 CB)

2020 WFT

QB's = 3

RB's = 4

WR's = 5

TE's = 3

OL's = 10

DT's = 4

DE's = 5

LB = 6

DB's = 10 (4 S & 6 CB)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Our Week 1 game vs. the Chargers is on CBS.  Just saw on Twitter that the announcers for Week 1 are:

WEEK 1 – Sept. 12 – CBS DOUBLEHEADER
1:00 PM ET:
N.Y. Jets @ Carolina: Andrew Catalon/James Lofton/Sherree Burruss
Jacksonville @ Houston: Greg Gumbel/Adam Archuleta/AJ Ross
Pittsburgh @ Buffalo: Ian Eagle/Charles Davis/Evan Washburn
Arizona @ Tennessee: Tom McCarthy/Tiki Barber
L.A. Chargers@ Washington: Spero Dedes/Jay Feely

4:25 PM, ET:
Cleveland @ Kansas City: Jim Nantz/Tony Romo/Tracy Wolfson
Miami @ New England: Kevin Harlan/Trent Green/Melanie Collins

Apparently, we get Spero Dedes and Jay Feely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Jaguars are snakebit, man. Nothing seems to go right for them.

Did they come into contact with Bruce Allen or something?

They're not snakebit, they're morons.  This is why you dont spend 1st round draft picks in a running back when you already had excellent production at running back.  From a UDFA of all places.

Thats like winning the lottery after buying one ticket and saying, ya know what?  Lets spend all the winnings on more lottery tickets!

Stupid in every way imaginable.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, samy316 said:

Our Week 1 game vs. the Chargers is on CBS.  Just saw on Twitter that the announcers for Week 1 are:

WEEK 1 – Sept. 12 – CBS DOUBLEHEADER
1:00 PM ET:
N.Y. Jets @ Carolina: Andrew Catalon/James Lofton/Sherree Burruss
Jacksonville @ Houston: Greg Gumbel/Adam Archuleta/AJ Ross
Pittsburgh @ Buffalo: Ian Eagle/Charles Davis/Evan Washburn
Arizona @ Tennessee: Tom McCarthy/Tiki Barber
L.A. Chargers@ Washington: Spero Dedes/Jay Feely

4:25 PM, ET:
Cleveland @ Kansas City: Jim Nantz/Tony Romo/Tracy Wolfson
Miami @ New England: Kevin Harlan/Trent Green/Melanie Collins

Apparently, we get Spero Dedes and Jay Feely.

Interesting, Spero is the play-by-play for the Chargers in preseason.

I wonder if he'll show bias to them.

Probably not ; we've gotten him before several times, and he seemed somewhat fair.