Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That is, they put some air-arc on their throws so they give that WR a chance.  IMO Kirk and RG3 also did that well.

I’m just going to check you on that. RG3 was terrible at deep balls. In college, he was phenomenal and threw lobs. In the pros, he throws frozen ropes. Hardly any yacs. He never had any touch, just had a cannon for an arm. He was amazing at intermediate throws. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

I’m just going to check you on that. RG3 was terrible at deep balls. In college, he was phenomenal and threw lobs. In the pros, he throws frozen ropes. Hardly any yacs. He never had any touch, just had a cannon for an arm. He was amazing at intermediate throws. 

I agree with this. 

RG3 threw some real nice deep balls in college, but I didn't see that at the next level. 

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

A little googling and apparently the phrase started in Baseball.  Something about making it spicy and intense on a pitch.  I dunno.  I like the expression, use it at times, but it still makes no sense.  Like "Jump the Shark" and "Pass the Buck."  

The expression did start in baseball as "he put a little mustard on that pitch".

It comes from decades ago when the hot dog on a bun was first served at baseball games. Back then, most people just ate the hot dogs plain with nothing on it. That seems strange to us in today's society where we put everything but the kitchen sink on a hot dog (mustard, ketchup, onions, relish, chili, peppers, sauerkraut, etc.).

So when someone asked the vendor to put mustard on their hot dog, they were putting something a little extra on their plain hot dog.

That's where it came from. When a pitcher would seemingly throw a ball harder or faster, the game announcers (who probably had their fair share of hot dogs) would say he put a little mustard on it. Meaning he put a little extra energy on his pitch.

I don't hear the expression as much today.

Edited by SkinsGuy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Silvernon said:

I agree with this. 

RG3 threw some real nice deep balls in college, but I didn't see that at the next level. 

Check out 0:42, 2:14, 2:32, 3:16, 4:47...these are only the TD throws that traveled at least 30 yards in the air, and only from his rookie season. I'm gonna assume he had more throws like that which were not for TDs and were not during his rookie year.

(will have to watch it on youtube)

2013 (not just TDs this time):

0:07, 0:59, 1:13, 1:31 (although the receiver had to slow down for the catch), 3:02.

Edited by Califan007
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Happy Days, one of history's greatest TV shows ever, was entering show biz old age when they decided that The Fonz (aka Arthur Fonzarelli), whose shtick included riding a motorcycle, was going to pull a stunt by riding his bike up a ramp and over a tank that had a shark in it.  Hence "jumping the shark".  In the show he survives but wipes out and the show never recovered.  Basically "gone too far and got too desperate.

Actually, he jumped the shark on water skis while still wearing his leather jacket. The shark was in a cage in an inlet, I think.

"

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Check out 0:42, 2:14, 2:32, 3:16, 4:47...these are only the TD throws that traveled at least 30 yards in the air, and only from his rookie season. I'm gonna assume he had more throws like that which were not for TDs and were not during his rookie year.

(will have to watch it on youtube)

2013 (not just TDs this time):

0:07, 0:59, 1:13, 1:31 (although the receiver had to slow down for the catch), 3:02.

Firstly, thanks for the videos. 

Some good throws in there, but talking about those deep throws, for me, there's three that I really like. Generously? Probably five. 

Yes, there are other deep throws that are lost in the archives and should be considered, nevertheless it reaffirmed my recollection. 

I was thinking (during that draft hype and first year) that he could be Aaron Rodgers throwing those 40-50 yard bombs down the sideline to his receiver in stride. 

Most of the referenced throws didn't have an ideal deep ball trajectory and were relatively flat. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Practice today.   My takes:

Humphries looks spry and really good.  Actually so does S. Sims at slot.  I saw a couple of plays with Terry at slot and Humphries playing outside.  Moving WRs around and for that matter RBs seems to be a theme.  WRs lined up in different spots.  Ditto RBs.  Hard to keep track of it.   WRs are getting reps at multiple spots.  Everyone looks good at WR IMO in practice so this spot might end up being a difficult cut.   Seems like Scott Turner is trying to work his scheme to confuse the heck out of defenses this season.   I was confused at times tracking who is where. 

Milne has really good hands -- can catch errant throws

Easy to see the chemistry between Fitzpartrick and Humphries.

Dyami seemed to play mostly with the 2's.  St. Juste on him.  Again playing his share of X.

Harmon I noticed at X and Z.  AGG I believe only at Z. 

The WR battles are going to be the most fun to watch during preseason.  I think the WFT will want to keep Humphries as a proven vet even if he's on a one-year prove it deal.  Milne's draft status should allow him to be put on the practice squad but can a player be protected now?  The "good hands" can be more important than S. Sim's potential.  If Milne balls out, I want him on the roster instead of the practice squad.  I see Cam Sims, Harmon, and AGG as interchangeable until they perform in the preseason.  Sometimes a WR shines with a particular QB - and any of these guys could look much better with Fitz.  

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Actually, he jumped the shark on water skis while still wearing his leather jacket. The shark was in a cage in an inlet, I think.

"

Yeah, as pointed out earlier, i got the details wrong, but that is the essence of the origin of the phrase.

Hopefully, happy days are here again.  Heyyyyy!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

The expression did start in baseball as "he put a little mustard on that pitch".

It comes from decades ago when the hot dog on a bun was first served at baseball games. Back then, most people just ate the hot dogs plain with nothing on it. That seems strange to us in today's society where we put everything but the kitchen sink on a hot dog (mustard, ketchup, onions, relish, chili, peppers, sauerkraut, etc.).

So when someone asked the vendor to put mustard on their hot dog, they were putting something a little extra on their plain hot dog.

That's where it came from. When a pitcher would seemingly throw a ball harder or faster, the game announcers (who probably had their fair share of hot dogs) would say he put a little mustard on it. Meaning he put a little extra energy on his pitch.

I don't hear the expression as much today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

this is just a finlay "stock report" on wft yesterday fwiw, and i didn't see it posted in here

a little ot but i love the job nfl netowrk is dong covering all 32 teams live in camp---awesome and a great break from other realities...in early months of covid they (esp gmfb) were a welcome break from the news during the day in trying to keep nfl fans connected to the game and working hard to remain as positive as possible and helpful to people going through all this in general

their coverage so far is great and i hope this format they're using becomes annual

http://sports.yahoo.com/stock-report-unexpected-push-wr-164736724.html

RICHMOND -- Fans hooted and hollered during a Saturday practice with pleasant weather and lots of free swag, but the real action came on the field with perhaps some clarity starting to emerge at a major position of need. 

The top of the wide receiver position is not up for debate - that belongs to Terry McLaurin - but the bottom of the position group has questions. And maybe an answer. 

Stock Up

• DeAndre Carter Washington signed the speedster returner this offseason in a move most viewed as a camp invite. Well so far Carter has made the most of his chance. Ron Rivera said Carter "looks good with the ball in his hands" and has shown the ability to run good routes combined with good hands. A big bonus is Carter can return punts and kicks, so if he can make the roster, he can fill those glaring holes from the 2020 season. Think about this - last year as Washington's primary punt returner Stephen Sims averaged 6.7 yards-per-return. In the same role for two teams, the Bears and the Texans, Carter averaged 8.4 yards-per-return. In his three years in the NFL Carter has averaged 9.3 yards-per-return. If you don't think special teams coordinator Nate Kazcor notices that, then you should look into buying the Brooklyn Bridge. 

•  

• Cole Holcomb - Even though Holcomb got yelled at by Rivera for hitting Taylor Heinicke, the linebacker was all over the field on Saturday. He displayed good athleticism and great hands on a sideline interception and showed his speed in repeated bursts during 11v11 drills. He's a starter, and maybe the second-best LB on the roster after rookie Jamin Davis. 

•  

• Landon Collins This is Collins' second time on the Stock Up list and that should tell you plenty about his camp so far. He's been everywhere. On Saturday he grabbed a diving goal-line interception off Ryan Fitzpatrick and the whole sideline exploded. Collins' busted his butt to work back from Achilles surgery and seems poised for a good bounce back year in 2021. 

Stock Down

• Troy Apke and Danny Johnson - It was about halfway through practice when defensive backs coach Chris Harris started screaming to Apke and Johnson that they were out of position seconds before the offense snapped the ball. About seven seconds later, Harris had run about 20 yards down the field to yell at Apke and Johnson for blowing the coverage and giving up a big gain down the seam. Not a good scene for two guys brought in by the previous administration trying to fight for roster spots. 

•  

• Brandon Scherff - He's the team's best offensive linemen and now he's on the COVID-19 list. That doesn't really need much more explanation but it's not great. 

• Backup QB - Heinicke was not impressive on Saturday, or really at any consistent point this week, and Rivera revealed that Kyle Allen tweaked his ankle during practice. The same ankle he dislocated and had surgery on last year. So yea, not great for the backup QBs

•  
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Two questions - 

1.  Are we going to have a separate final roster thread? 

2.  When does the first round of cuts happen this year? 

Each team can carry 90 players for the time being, with cutdowns happening on August 17th (to 85 players), August 24th (80) and August 31st (53).

• Like 7