Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It doesn't mean anything but its fueling my NY Giants hate.  I am glad they are playing them early.  I can't wait.  And hopefully, we win that one.  Otherwise our local media might be as insufferable as the NY media with the Giants love.  I saw Mike Garafolo pick the Giants to win the division on GMF the other day.  Enough...🙄

Trust me, I hate the giants so much. I feel like since the Mara bs among other things, many of us have hated them the most within our division recently. 

BUT I think judge is a good coach. To me, they seemed similar to us last year in that they seemed to care and scrap with everything they had til the final whistle. We used to be that team that some sundays you could tell they just didn’t give a **** or weren’t prepared and I felt the same about the giants but I didn’t see that last year from either so I think they got a good coach. 

They also hit on most their FA last year and I think they upgraded their talent overall this offseason (still wish we’d gotten Logan Ryan last year). The biggest thing is they have absolutely had our number lately and so I do view them as a threat. 

Trying to be unbiased has me feeling like this division is a 3 horse race and philly is a total wild card with an unknown at coach and no one really knows if hurts can be the guy or not but he’s always been a winner. But I don’t think us, Dallas or NY has any reason to be making bold statements right now. I’m just excited to see what our actual product looks like on the field because I think there is a lot of potential there. 

My biggest reason for optimism this year is actually the reaction from my friends more than anything. 

Most seasons I try to be as cautiously optimistic as possible but the people around me are like, yeah sorry man but Washington sucks, then they go on to point out the things that my homerism obviously doesn't want to hear and have sub consciously blocked out.

This year, most of the people I know believe that Washington is the team to beat in the division and they are more optimistic about this team than I am.

There's definitely a change in the expectations from people who have no reason to be biased.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

There's a lot to unpack with Sheehan's comments.  For one, he's a bad judge of talent.  If I find myself agreeing with him on a college prospect or a QB, then I should probably reevaluate.

Off the top of my head, Giants paid above market rate for 4 guys with question marks in FA.  2 guys with injury history, 1 guy with a contract year breakout, and an over-the-hill player.  Kyle Rudolph, Leonard Williams, Kenny Golladay, and Adoree Jackson.  One thing to consider especially regarding Adoree Jackson, the Titans had him for his 5th year option of $10.2 million.  They didn't think he was worth that, so they cut him.  Giants then gave him 30% more money per year.  So...are the Titans right?  Or the Giants?

The Giants moves kind of feels like mid-2000's Redskins.  They aren't stylistically the same, but in overall terms of effectiveness and trying to compare 2021 Giants to mid-2000's Redskins...is Daniel Jones their Jason Campbell?

As much as I hate the Giants, its tough for me to mock them as for FA considering their success with it last year.   It could blow up on them, will see.  But before last season the Giants defense was bad and then in one off season they got a lot better.  Top 10 defense.   Some thought they overpaid for Bradberry and Blake Martinez in FA but both ended up excellent.  Ditto Logan Ryan who they got on the cheap.  And the Leonard Williams trade paid off, too.  They did a nice job last off season in FA.

As for them screwing up this years FA crop.  I hope so.  Will see.  PFF likes Adoree Jackson.  As for re-signing Leonard Williams.  Will see.   He just turned 27 and had 11.5 sacks last season.   It's not like he's some obscure nobody.  He's a dude a lot of us wanted in that draft.  Last season was his big one, I agree. But he did have 7 sacks in a previous season and he looks like he has monster tools.  I'd rather they'd not have him than have him  Rudolph might be over the hill but he's a back up.  Heck I wouldn't mind to have a backup of that quality here.  John Ross was an interesting cheap signing in FA.   As for Golladay, he IMO is a good player but they overpaid for him.

I get to an extent the hype about the Giants as for them not being bad. They have some talent.  But not being bad IMO is the operative point.   I don't think they are that good.  I don't see them bad either.  8-9, 9-8 kind of team IMO.   To an extent I get the consternation about the Giants dominating this head to head series.  But that's a seperate point. 

Daniel Jones IMO brings that point home perfectly.  He's really good against the WFT but not so much the rest of the league. I do hate that they have two #1 picks i in 2022 and might be better positioned than us to upgrade at QB next season.  I'll give @volsmet some props.  Neither one of us liked Haskins or Daniel Jones before the draft.  But I thought Jones would be even worse than Haskins.  @volsmet thought Jones > Haskins albeit like me he didn't care for either one.  He was right.   I thought Jones would be a Case Keenum caliber type QB.  That is, a marginal starter.  He's not been good but I'd say he's better than Keenum.   But I do think they will be QB shopping next off season. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-year-marlon-humphrey-tredavious-white-adoree-jackson-marshon-lattimore

ADOREE’ JACKSON, TENNESSEE TITANS

Pick No. 18 of the 2017 NFL Draft

Jackson entered the NFL with great expectations after winning the Jim Thorpe Award in 2016, the award given to the top defensive back in college football.

He plays bigger than his 185-pound frame might suggest, and his toughness is a testament to his competitive performance. Jackson has earned PFF’s eighth-best grade in outside coverage (85.0) during his three-year career, all while recording 29 total pass breakups, tied for the fifth-most among all cornerbacks since 2017.

Jackson plays with both confidence and swagger, but he has yet to achieve elite status as a shutdown corner. However, his tenacity did help him earn a 12th-ranked forced incompletion rate of 17.4% in 2019, and he allowed only one touchdown pass on 390 coverage snaps.

Jackson may fall short of becoming a household name in the NFL, but he is, at the very least, a well-above-average coverage defender in a pass-happy league.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, moondog said:

Trust me, I hate the giants so much. I feel like since the Mara bs among other things, many of us have hated them the most within our division recently. 

BUT I think judge is a good coach. To me, they seemed similar to us last year in that they seemed to care and scrap with everything they had til the final whistle. We used to be that team that some sundays you could tell they just didn’t give a **** or weren’t prepared and I felt the same about the giants but I didn’t see that last year from either so I think they got a good coach. 

They also hit on most their FA last year and I think they upgraded their talent overall this offseason (still wish we’d gotten Logan Ryan last year). The biggest thing is they have absolutely had our number lately and so I do view them as a threat. 

Trying to be unbiased has me feeling like this division is a 3 horse race and philly is a total wild card with an unknown at coach and no one really knows if hurts can be the guy or not but he’s always been a winner. But I don’t think us, Dallas or NY has any reason to be making bold statements right now. I’m just excited to see what our actual product looks like on the field because I think there is a lot of potential there. 

Yeah don't get me wrong, I do think the Giants are building something good.  Like us, they likely have to still find that franchise QB. 

I just think some are getting carried away with them.  They have a really good secondary.  Blake Martinez is a stud at MLB.  they have a good defensive interior.  They can stop the run very well.    Their weapons:  Slayton, Barkley, Shepard, Engram, Golladay, K. Toney are potentially good.  They got depth with Ross and Rudolph.

Their weakspots IMO are QB, O line, edge.  They've drafted plenty at O line and its a position that takes awhile for some dudes to develop.  Andrew Thomas looked really bad at the beginning of the season but improved towards the end.   I liked Will Hernandez before the draft but he's been "meh" in the pros. 

I think our roster is a little better than theirs. But I am not making fun of them or mocking them (as I noticed from some last year) until we can actually beat them in a head to head match for a change.

2 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

I agree.  It is more likely we will regress than improve, but I would love to be wrong. 

This is an offensive league.  No matter how good our defense is, teams are going to move the ball and score points.  Our offense will need to be able to do the same.

Well, the Brightside if we suck; we will begin position to get a QB in 22 draft.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Feel like this is pretty important, especially for our team, for obvious reasons....

Sounds like a great way to rest players late in the year.  Instead of playing an away game against KC we can claim an outbreak, rest our players and take the loss.  </sarcasm>

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, ILikeBilly said:

Sounds like a great way to rest players late in the year.  Instead of playing an away game against KC we can claim an outbreak, rest our players and take the loss.  </sarcasm>

I believe that’s a home game, but yes. I would very much be in favor of that plan 😂😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carex said:

hopefully this will make them wise up. 

Bet you don't get paid for a forfeit

Neither team does, as it turns out. 

*Rivera after reading the memo*
”hey Montez buddy, how’s it going? Vacation going good? Great. Come swing by my office, we’ll have a lil chit chat” 

52 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Feel like this is pretty important, especially for our team, for obvious reasons....

giphy.gif?cid=790b76112c0d0ace21af7fbeedb526aa6992c6d7e7028d78&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

6 minutes ago, carex said:

hopefully this will make them wise up. 

Bet you don't get paid for a forfeit

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

PFF _ [Insert Local Team Here] are just fluff accounts to get clickable content to a local fanbase.  They're pretty overhyped on all of their respective local teams.

I agree sometimes as to that PFF account.  The PFF Washington account has some good content in the mix of their posts.  they didn't say the WFT had the best core, they just posed the question if they do or not. The article itself didn't say they did.  I do think if Terry and Chase live up to their potential, they will be one of the top 1-2 punches.  

That and "has the defense fixed the exploitable holes it had last season"?

Agree.

Tough slate of QB's, but the jury's still out on Herbert.  Some exciting things he did, such as deep ball accuracy under pressure...which somehow wasn't there at all in college.  But he's young so development isn't unexpected.

He had a monster season as a rookie.  Jury is still out to me applies to dudes that have not had a breakthrough season, yet.  Herbert broke out from the jump.   It's possible Herbert RG3 style regresses but most believe if anything he will just get better. But, will see. 

We ran so much zone and specifically Cover 2 and Cover 4 last season, our guys couldn't do Man or Cover 1/3.  The better teams found ways to put our zone corners into spots they aren't comfortable with, and then they did it again and again. 

I don't pay enough attention in real time to study % of coverage but if I recall I read that Rivera likes to primarily run cover 3 a lot but Del Rio cover 1 in their recent stints.  I agree they likely play more man this season considering personnel -- more cover 1 press, etc.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

2020 Defensive Pass Efficiency Rank: 3
2020 Defensive Rush Efficiency Rank: 9
2020 Base Coverage: Cover 3
2020 Third-Down Mentality: Cover 1 with a hole player and quarters

Washington ran a ton of zone defenses last year, unsure of themselves holding up in man coverage. It worked. The Football Team was the third-most efficient pass defense last year. When you can play zone and have an elite defensive line, you can get things done.

It will be interesting to see if signing William Jackson III in free agency will lead to the team playing more man coverage, where Jackson has excelled. He recorded the seventh-best grade in Cover 1 last year (80.8) at his position. With that said, Washington was great at whatever it played, with its Cover 3, quarters and Cover 1 looks all ranking in the top third of the league in efficiency.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-breakout-year-marlon-humphrey-tredavious-white-adoree-jackson-marshon-lattimore

ADOREE’ JACKSON, TENNESSEE TITANS

Pick No. 18 of the 2017 NFL Draft

Jackson entered the NFL with great expectations after winning the Jim Thorpe Award in 2016, the award given to the top defensive back in college football.

He plays bigger than his 185-pound frame might suggest, and his toughness is a testament to his competitive performance. Jackson has earned PFF’s eighth-best grade in outside coverage (85.0) during his three-year career, all while recording 29 total pass breakups, tied for the fifth-most among all cornerbacks since 2017.

Jackson plays with both confidence and swagger, but he has yet to achieve elite status as a shutdown corner. However, his tenacity did help him earn a 12th-ranked forced incompletion rate of 17.4% in 2019, and he allowed only one touchdown pass on 390 coverage snaps.

Jackson may fall short of becoming a household name in the NFL, but he is, at the very least, a well-above-average coverage defender in a pass-happy league.

29 PBU over 3 years can't be 5th most in the NFL right?  That seems really low.  Wait, pick any random 3 year stretch of Ronald Darby's career and he's had more than 29 PBU.  We got him for 4 million in the 2020 offseason.  They must have a typo in there somewhere.

I'm seeing the following coverage data for Adoree Jackson:

2018 (16 games) - 2 Int's, 56.5% completions allowed, 52 receiving yards a game allowed, 6 TD's allowed, QB Rating of 89.4 allowed

2019 (11 games) - 0 Int's, 66.7% allowed, 36 yards a game allowed, 1 TD allowed, QB Rating of 94.3 allowed

2020 (3 games) - 0 Int's, 81.3% allowed, 51 yards a game allowed, 3 TD's allowed, QB Rating of 145.8 allowed

For the record, they overpaid for Leonard Williams, but he's still a really good player.  Same with Golladay.  Adoree however?  Why did the Titans decide nope, and cut him?  They could have had him for 3 million cheaper than free agency.  His brief stats in 2020 are terrible.  We have no idea, but something must have gone on behind the scenes right?

Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

For the record, they overpaid for Leonard Williams, but he's still a really good player.  Same with Golladay.  Adoree however?  Why did the Titans decide nope, and cut him?  They could have had him for 3 million cheaper than free agency.  His brief stats in 2020 are terrible.  We have no idea, but something must have gone on behind the scenes right?

Don't know what led to Adoree's down season.  But considering they hit it big with both Logan Ryan and Bradberry last season, tough for me to just assume that they screwed this signing up.  But it could be.  I hope they screwed it up.   Will see.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He had a monster season as a rookie.  Jury is still out to me applies to dudes that have not had a breakthrough season, yet.  Herbert broke out from the jump.   It's possible Herbert RG3 style regresses but most believe if anything he will just get better. But, will see. 

Feel like deep ball passing production has the most variance year to year and isn't that predictive of future success, cause well, flinging the ball 40 yards downfield has a lot of little things that can go right or wrong, and some things are out of the QB's control, or WR's control, or etc etc.

I remember what Herbert was like in college, if he suddenly fixed some of his issues in the Pro's then that's amazing for him, but I'm not convinced it wasn't a bit of randomness (deep ball passing going his way while under pressure).  Remember when Alex Smith suddenly became the league's elite deep ball passer in Kansas City with their weapons?  That did not last, and was a random season in his career where his deep ball just broke right.

I want another year to assess.

Daniel Jones year 1: 5.2% of passes were TD's, 2.2% of passes were Int's, 7.6% sacked

Daniel Jones year 2: 2.5% for TD's, 2.1% for Int's, 9.1% sacked

Herbert > Jones.  I'd be upset if Herbert was the Giants QB.  But I think Herbert still has a lot more growing to do before his rookie season production is his career baseline.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't pay enough attention in real time to study % of coverage but if I recall I read that Rivera likes to primarily run cover 3 a lot but Del Rio cover 1 in their recent stints.  I agree they likely play more man this season considering personnel -- more cover 1 press, etc.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-defensive-scheme-analysis-32-nfl-teams-2021

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

2020 Defensive Pass Efficiency Rank: 3
2020 Defensive Rush Efficiency Rank: 9
2020 Base Coverage: Cover 3
2020 Third-Down Mentality: Cover 1 with a hole player and quarters

Washington ran a ton of zone defenses last year, unsure of themselves holding up in man coverage. It worked. The Football Team was the third-most efficient pass defense last year. When you can play zone and have an elite defensive line, you can get things done.

It will be interesting to see if signing William Jackson III in free agency will lead to the team playing more man coverage, where Jackson has excelled. He recorded the seventh-best grade in Cover 1 last year (80.8) at his position. With that said, Washington was great at whatever it played, with its Cover 3, quarters and Cover 1 looks all ranking in the top third of the league in efficiency.

That's interesting.  No idea where I can find the info I'm referencing.  Wouldn't surprise me if I saw it something you posted.  General gist of it was, the team realized Landon Collins struggled in Cover 2/4 (we played that much more with Kurl), and we didn't really have the FS to play Cover 1/3 well.  So we got burnt a bit.

I love the weekly paycheck thing. Now even if you're Montez Sweat and you are part of the reason a bunch of guys aren't getting paid. That's a tough locker room. Nobody is saying "He's free to have his opinion and making his own decisions here".

Now it's "This guy just took money out of my pocket" because he doesn't understand you get a vaccinate to avoid the virus. Not after you are infected. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I love the weekly paycheck thing. Now even if you're Montez Sweat and you are part of the reason a bunch of guys aren't getting paid. That's a tough locker room. Nobody is saying "He's free to have his opinion and making his own decisions here".

Now it's "This guy just took money out of my pocket" because he doesn't understand you get a vaccinate to avoid the virus. Not after you are infected. 

I'm fully vaccinated and support getting it, but I understand people's hesitancy around getting it. I would bet if it happens, and guys lose a paycheck, there will be a lawsuit filed by the NFLPA faster than you can say vaccine.  And I would think the NFL would lose the case given that it's an emergency vaccine and not subject to the same scrutiny as other vaccines are when they are developed, so it cannot be forced or required.

There are two areas Harmon feels the most comfortable in proving himself. The first is in making contested catches; It's why Pro Football Focus ranked him as the 12th-best receiver prospect in the 2019 NFL Draft and what helped quarterbacks has a 118.4 passer rating when targeting him. His 57.9% contested catch rate during his rookie season was sixth-best in the NFL.

The other area is as a blocker. That was an area Jim Hostler mentioned the offense was going to more of prior to his injury. He's a physical guy, Hostler said, with his 6-foot-2, 215-pound frame, and Harmon is not afraid to use that size.

"Whether it's on a linebacker, a safety or a D-end," Harmon said, "I'm gonna put my nose in there and put somebody on the ground. So I definitely feel that's something I can bring to the table."

That doesn't necessarily guarantee Harmon a spot on the roster, but it's a foundation for him to grow and evolve, which he said every player should be prepared to do.

"I just gotta stay in my lane and be where I need to be and make the plays I need to make," he said.

• Thanks 1