Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

According to Mike Jones, a first for Kirk, Jay somewhat implied the same in a recent podcast. 

That I didn't know (or forgot I knew lol)...

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah out problem hasn't necessarily being offered high picks for players...it's been actually accepting the offers. We were offered a 1st for Kirk as well as Trent and we turned them down. And ended up getting nothing. Brilliant. 

Well, we did get something for Trent...

Edited by Califan007

Sorry guys, my comment earlier regarding the influx of Money in 2023 was from from the new TV deals not Gambling. My error. There is an influx in Gambling $ too, but that will take time as it’s not legal everywhere.

Eventually yes it will contribute a ton but as of last year it was around 20M a club from gambling. Which isn’t a number to sneeze at but isn’t life changing for these teams. That number however will continue to rise dramatically as we go along.  

But starting 2023 the new TV deals, continued growth from gambling and other revenues streams will have the NFL rolling in dough, that isn’t in doubt. The point of not waiting to sign players you want to keep still holds water though.

Maybe we are biding our time and waiting to sign a bunch pre 2023 and into 2024, to keep most of the core together. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

But starting 2023 the new TV deals, continued growth from gambling and other revenues streams will have the NFL rolling in dough, that isn’t in doubt. The point of not waiting to sign players you want to keep still holds water though.

Maybe we are biding our time and waiting to sign a bunch pre 2023 and into 2024, to keep most of the core together. 

It's a fun situation.  Agents/players know this too, so contract negotiations are going to be intense.

I think it's why William Jackson and Curtis Samuel signed 3 year deals instead of longer term ones.  They can cash in again.  I wonder if Jon Allen is thinking of a short extension whereas WFT might prefer a lengthy one so it takes up far less cap % in the back half of the deal.

It also explains a lot about why Scherff is so calm and content playing on a 1 year deal.  The closer he gets to hitting full free agency to a massive cap spike, the more he can cash in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It's a fun situation.  Agents/players know this too, so contract negotiations are going to be intense.

I think it's why William Jackson and Curtis Samuel signed 3 year deals instead of longer term ones.  They can cash in again.  I wonder if Jon Allen is thinking of a short extension whereas WFT might prefer a lengthy one so it takes up far less cap % in the back half of the deal.

It also explains a lot about why Scherff is so calm and content playing on a 1 year deal.  The closer he gets to hitting full free agency to a massive cap spike, the more he can cash in.

Totally agree. I have to remind myself of this every time I start to internally freek out about why we can't seem to sign anyone of our own FA we want to keep, ie. Scherff and Allen.

We are playing the game well I'd say.  I'm sure an argument can be made to even overpay now giving what is coming down the pike.  You'd probably still be better off and you'd have your own guys signed.  But yeah, no need to rush or overplay our hand.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Saw an interview with our secondary coach where he talked about having interchangeable safeties. It’s the smart thing to do so when injuries occur, we are not restricted. By the way he also mentioned how he expects Reeves to have a great season. Forest is a fifth round pick with size and speed and made an impression at mini camp. 

A situational safety who can’t cover anyone and making $18 million along with some promising players in the secondary are the reasons I think Landon should be cut or traded. I understand there would be a huge hit against our cap but keeping on the team will only stunt the growth of others. 

36m cap figure for Collins and Sherff this year WOW, neither will be with us in 22, should have released Collins and not given Sherff the Franchise Tag. 

7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Well, we did get something for Trent...

We got a 3rd for Trent after finally waking up to the fact that he wasn't going to play for us. IIRC it was reported that we were offered a 1st rounder by a couple of different teams for him the year before but we turned it down because we're morons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

We got a 3rd for Trent after finally waking up to the fact that he wasn't going to play for us. IIRC it was reported that we were offered a 1st rounder by a couple of different teams for him the year before but we turned it down because we're morons.

Bruce for his many faults -- I'd put him yawning about getting potentally top assets for Trent and Kirk (if they couldn't get a contract settled) and letting those opportunities pass him by is right near the top for me.  The Dolphins in contrast turned their bounty for players into a zillion picks.  Imagine if that was us?

Some reporters said a first was offered for Trent.  Some said a 2nd a third rounder.  Either way, it would have been big.  Jones said they could have had SF's high first rounder for Kirk.  Wow. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Love listening to Sheehan but boy is he a killjoy as for matching up to my take on some things this season (I often agree with him normally) :ols:. Right now he's mocking Acho's comment about the WFT being a threat to Tampa and Sheehan is now saying WFT won't make the playoffs.

The greatest hits for me as for being on the opposite side

A.  He's a big Sam Darnold and Kyle Trask guy

B.  He thinks Daniel Jones is likely the real deal

C.  He believes Barkley the best player in the NFC East outside of QB

D. I think he's overdoing it with the Giants.  Yes the Giants don't stink but I also don't see them as a serious threat.

Will see.  

It's not just Sheehan but others in our local media really has some odd lovefest with the NY Giants.  It comes out in different shows, "hey watch out for the NY Giants, everyone is sleeping on the NY Giants, etc."    Heck on one of Sheehan's shows he had fans call in touting the NY Giants as a better team than the WFT.   The Giants have become the chic team for the local media to embrace as for their supposed prowess this season.  

It doesn't mean anything but its fueling my NY Giants hate.  I am glad they are playing them early.  I can't wait.  And hopefully, we win that one.  Otherwise our local media might be as insufferable as the NY media with the Giants love.  I saw Mike Garafolo pick the Giants to win the division on GMF the other day.  Enough...🙄

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love listening to Sheehan but boy is he a killjoy as for matching up to my take on some things this season (I often agree with him normally) :ols:. Right now he's mocking Acho's comment about the WFT being a threat to Tampa and Sheehan is now saying WFT won't make the playoffs.

D. I think he's overdoing it with the Giants.  Yes the Giants don't stink but I also don't see them as a serious threat.

Will see.  

It's not just Sheehan but others in our local media really has some odd lovefest with the NY Giants.  It comes out in different shows, "hey watch out for the NY Giants, everyone is sleeping on the NY Giants, etc."    Heck on one of Sheehan's shows he had fans call in touting the NY Giants as a better team than the WFT.   The Giants have become the chic team for the local media to embrace as for their supposed prowess this season.  

It doesn't mean anything but its fueling my NY Giants hate.  I am glad they are playing them early.  I can't wait.  And hopefully, we win that one.  Otherwise our local media might be as insufferable as the NY media with the Giants love.  I saw Mike Garafolo pick the Giants to win the division on GMF the other day.  Enough...🙄

So Sheehan would take Barkley over Chase Young...got it.  All credibility gone for Sheehan after that snippit.  I detest the Giants, most of all I beleive.  They are one arrogant team & fanbase. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dyst said:

No, Washington does not have the best 3-man core. We won 7 games last year. The hype is a little overboard.

If I had to sum up the optimism its

Haskins was 1-5

Alex Smith 5-1

Haskins isn't the QB now.  Alex went 5-1 and arguably didn't even play that great -- he didn't move the ball much and threw more picks than TDs.  But he's a professional QB, he got the guys lined up in the right spots and was a good leader.  I do agree with Sheehan on this point -- the optimism about this team is predicated on better QB play this season. 

If the defense takes a step up which is possible considering their upgrades and the QB play improves then this should be a better team.  The Alex versus Haskins disparity IMO is both stark and potentially relevant to this season IMO.  

I temper my enthusiasm though for this season based on one thing:  the schedule.  The schedule is insane.  Up against Herbert, J. Allen, Dak twice, Rodgers, Brady, R. Wilson, Mahomes.  That's an insane test for this defense.  My fear is the defense gets a bit big headed from the hype.  Brady smoked them.  They need to figure how to stop the run.  I've been crying for years about upgrading the tackle position.  We got Payne and Allen both who are good against the run. Yet we still get smoked on the ground.  That's dissappointing.  Hopefully Jamin Davis makes an impact on that front.  I think Jamin might be an under the radar wildcard as for this season one way or another. 

1 hour ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

So Sheehan would take Barkley over Chase Young...got it.  All credibility gone for Sheehan after that snippit.  I detest the Giants, most of all I beleive.  They are one arrogant team & fanbase. 

Sheehan is a big Chase guy.  But yeah he did a bit on one of his shows picking the best player non QB in the NFC East and he picked Barkley.

I don't think Barkley would even be top 5 for me.  I think Barkley is a really good player but also over hyped.  He can be a feast or famine runner.  Really good rookie year.  But not the same the year after.  Gibson had a higher YPA and almost twice the TDs Barkley had that season.

And Barkley admitted he's not 100% yet coming off of his ACL injury. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I had to sum up the optimism its

Haskins was 1-5

Alex Smith 5-1

Haskins isn't the QB now.  Alex went 5-1 and arguably didn't even play that great -- he didn't move the ball much and threw more picks than TDs.  But he's a professional QB, he got the guys lined up in the right spots and was a good leader.  I do agree with Sheehan on this point -- the optimism about this team is predicated on better QB play this season. 

If the defense takes a step up which is possible considering their upgrades and the QB play improves then this should be a better team.  The Alex versus Haskins disparity IMO is both stark and potentially relevant to this season IMO.  

I temper my enthusiasn though for this season based on one thing:  the schedule.  The schedule is insane.  Up against Herbert, J. Allen, Dak twice, Rodgers, Brady, R. Wilson, Mahomes.  That's an insane test for this defense.  My feat is the defense gets a bit big headed from the hype.  Brady smoked them.  They need to figure how to stop the run.  I've been crying for years about upgrading the tackle position.  We got Payne and Allen both who are good against the run. Yet we still get smoked on the ground.  That's crazy.  Hopefully Jamin Davis makes an impact on that front.  I think Jamin might be an under the radar wildcard as for this season one way or another. 

Sheehan is a big Chase guy.  But yeah he did a bit on one of his shows picking the best player non QB in the NFC East and he picked Barkley.

I don't think Barkley would even be top 5 for me.  I think Barkley is a really good player but also over hyped.  He can be a feast or famine runner.  Really good rookie year.  But not the same the year after.  Gibson had a higher YPA and almost twice the TDs Barkley had that season.

And Barkley admitted he's not 100% yet coming off of his ACL injury. 

And he's horrific as a pass blocker.  On a scale of 1-10 (10 being Clinton Portis), Barkley is a 1.  He's AWFUL in pass blocking.  Giants screwed up big time in picking Barkley over (Allen/Darnold ( Darnold whom I don't even like, but positionally is much more valuable), Nelson, Bradley Chubb, or trading down with the Jets and picking up three 2nd rounders).  Running Back is the easiest position to fill.  Nick Chubb is by far the best RB form that draft and the Browns got him in the early 2nd (whom the Giants passed on).

Edited by mhd24
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

And he's horrific as a pass blocker.  On a scale of 1-10 (10 being Clinton Portis), Barkley is a 1.

I dunno, we live is Z. Elliot world now.

Barkley is ineffective, but Elliot's form and positioning is so bad it looks like he gets hit by a nuclear bomb every time he attempts a set. Have to wonder if he got injured every pass pro rep.

If that ain't a 1 I don't know what is. He makes all other backs that can at least stand in the general way look like a 5.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see.  

giphy.gif

There's a lot to unpack with Sheehan's comments.  For one, he's a bad judge of talent.  If I find myself agreeing with him on a college prospect or a QB, then I should probably reevaluate.

Off the top of my head, Giants paid above market rate for 4 guys with question marks in FA.  2 guys with injury history, 1 guy with a contract year breakout, and an over-the-hill player.  Kyle Rudolph, Leonard Williams, Kenny Golladay, and Adoree Jackson.  One thing to consider especially regarding Adoree Jackson, the Titans had him for his 5th year option of $10.2 million.  They didn't think he was worth that, so they cut him.  Giants then gave him 30% more money per year.  So...are the Titans right?  Or the Giants?

The Giants moves kind of feels like mid-2000's Redskins.  They aren't stylistically the same, but in overall terms of effectiveness and trying to compare 2021 Giants to mid-2000's Redskins...is Daniel Jones their Jason Campbell?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dyst said:

No, Washington does not have the best 3-man core. We won 7 games last year. The hype is a little overboard.

I agree.  It is more likely we will regress than improve, but I would love to be wrong. 

This is an offensive league.  No matter how good our defense is, teams are going to move the ball and score points.  Our offense will need to be able to do the same.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

I know lol…it’s just that you said we ended up getting nothing for him.

This spring, while on a drive in Southern California, Sam Cosmi looked over from the passenger’s seat and saw the dashboard fuel gauge: Fewer than 30 miles to empty. His agent, Ryan Tollner of Rep1 Sports, was piloting the Cadillac Escalade toward his home in Orange County, where Cosmi had been preparing for the NFL draft since opting out of Texas’s final two games in December. Cosmi, the son of an auto mechanic, urged Tollner to stop for gas.

While they looked for a station, Cosmi explained that letting a car get below a quarter of a tank was bad for the fuel pump. Gas keeps the pump cold, so when the tank gets low, the car runs on fumes, which overheats the pump and shortens its life. It was easy for Tollner to see why Cosmi’s parents and coaches often describe him as detail-oriented.

“If I’m trying to research a couch for my apartment, I want to know every fricking thing about that couch — how it is, reviews, everything,” Cosmi said, adding that some family friends had recently laughed at him for spending two hours on the computer comparing vacuums.

“I can go in my browser right now, and the amount of tabs ...” He shook his head. “It’s like do-do-do-do-do across the screen. There’s a ton of tabs. It’s unbelievable.” He shrugged. “I want to get the best stuff for the best price.”

Cosmi’s interest in how things work is key to understanding the Washington Football Team’s confidence in him. The team has indicated that it believes the second-round pick could start at right tackle sooner than later, and he will have the opportunity to compete when training camp opens next week in Richmond. Cosmi appears intent on proving that not only does he have elite physical ability, but he’s also a fast learner capable of shoring up the inconsistent technique some scouts knocked him for before the draft.

In training camp, Cosmi will compete with veteran Cornelius Lucas, and the potential Cosmi flashed during offseason workouts was one of the main reasons the team released stalwart right tackle Morgan Moses, who had started 96 consecutive games. Cosmi understands the position he’s in, and he has spent the offseason preparing to seize the opportunity by refining his punch, a key skill according to offensive line coach John Matsko.

“I’m a young buck, and I know my place,” Cosmi said of potentially replacing Moses. “I know there’s a role there that people expect me to fill. There’s pressure with that, but the only thing I can do is to work my a-- off and really put my all into it. If I do that, I know that I’ll make a lot of people happy.”

Cosmi’s self-deterministic mind-set comes from his parents, Comel and Rodica, whose families fled a communist regime in Romania in the early 1980s. Comel recalled a grueling journey to the United States — the police occasionally beat up his father as the family awaited passports, he said, and they spent months in refugee camps in Italy and Yugoslavia — but he, his eight siblings and their parents made it to Texas, where two uncles lived.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/07/22/sam-cosmi-washington-football-tackle/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I do agree with Sheehan on this point -- the optimism about this team is predicated on better QB play this season.

That and "has the defense fixed the exploitable holes it had last season"?

I temper my enthusiasn though for this season based on one thing:  the schedule.  The schedule is insane.  Up against Herbert, J. Allen, Dak twice, Rodgers, Brady, R. Wilson, Mahomes.  That's an insane test for this defense. 

Tough slate of QB's, but the jury's still out on Herbert.  Some exciting things he did, such as deep ball accuracy under pressure...which somehow wasn't there at all in college.  But he's young so development isn't unexpected.

However he seemed to pass it short mostly except for some dialed up shots?  Hunter Henry and Keenan Allen had career lows in YPC, and Allen's was only 9.9.  The RB's combined for more targets than anybody else.  That seems abnormal, like Dwayne-Haskins/Kyle-Allen/Alex-Smith checkdown happy abnormal.  Looking at some more prominent teams, and only the Bucs do that, but if Godwin played in more games he would have surpassed that.  Saints did as well, but their receivers got hurt.  If you look at prior Saints years, even with Kamara as a RB weapon, they still aren't close to any single WR target.  The 2019 Panthers did that with CMC, but that was also with 2 games of a washed up Cam Newton, 2 games with noodle armed Will Grier, and 12 games with the previously mentioned Kyle Allen.  That team also won only 5 games.

So, Herbert's rookie season seems to be missing the intermediate game.  Surprising success throwing bombs, and did well throwing short...but that's not a full QB.  Better defenses should be able to slow that offense down, or stop it.

My feat is the defense gets a bit big headed from the hype.  Brady smoked them.  They need to figure how to stop the run.  I've been crying for years about upgrading the tackle position.  We got Payne and Allen both who are good against the run. Yet we still get smoked on the ground.  That's crazy.  Hopefully Jamin Davis makes an impact on that front.  I think Jamin might be an under the radar wildcard as for this season one way or another. 

When it wasn't a monsoon, the Rams also smoked the defense.  Well coached offenses had no problem with the defense.  Too many holes to exploit, as well as strong tendencies due to personnel being limited to specific schemes/playcalls.  We ran so much zone and specifically Cover 2 and Cover 4 last season, our guys couldn't do Man or Cover 1/3.  The better teams found ways to put our zone corners into spots they aren't comfortable with, and then they did it again and again.  They found ways to get our LB's late to realize what they should be doing on the play.  You could kind of tell what defensive performance you could expect throughout the game after the 1st quarter.  Was the opposition exploiting what we couldn't do or not?

Hopefully with McCain able to play Single high, William Jackson and Juice able to play press or off, Fuller used more to his versatility, and Jamin Davis improving the LB group, the defense can now match scheme to scheme if against a well coached opponent.

Barkley is still raw.  Gibson is as well.  Both have crazy potential, but neither RB is near their ceiling.  Barkley is capable of being the best player in the division or league.  But he's not close to that yet.  Sheehan is confusing potential with current ability.

2 hours ago, dyst said:

PFF _ [Insert Local Team Here] are just fluff accounts to get clickable content to a local fanbase.  They're pretty overhyped on all of their respective local teams.

• Like 2