Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

17 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ionnaidis seems to be treated as the third wheel by fans on the D line from what I've noticed.

I'm one of those and it comes down to durability and what I saw in 2017 when Matt was a starter.  Matt is great coming off the bench playing 20 snaps a game but when he had a chance as a starter he wasn't the same explosive player, my guess is just like everyone in the league those reps take a toll and that's part of being a great player, being able to gut it out when you have nothing left in the tank.

If we are to compare apples to apples I would like to see Matt's 2017 season (last 11 games when he was a starter), compared to Payne's rookie season and then see what the data tell us?

I'm not sold on Matt being able to be an explosive player as a starter because I watched him start in place of Allen and he wasn't that effective.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

General defensive question. If the opposing QB is left handed, do SAM & WILL swap sides, or do they stay at their same position?

The Sam plays on the strong side, Will plays on the weakside.  While that's usually the right side for a right handed QB but it doesn't have to be.  It could be the left side.  The easy way to track is typically in one TE sets, follow the TE and see on what side they are on, that's typically the strong side.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2021 at 12:56 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Damn the toe is still bothering Gibson, that sucks. Really bad move if he didn't get surgery on it, turf toe can destroy careers. 

On 6/3/2021 at 12:59 AM, XxSpearheadxX said:

I was promised by @TheShredderthat Gibson would be fine 😎

Well, the mention via @XxSpearheadxX though funny, references an evaluation comparing degrees of turf toe that didn't require surgery.  So, @Burgundy Yodais right in that if he didn't get surgery that he needed than that was a major mistake.  The comparisons of guys that fully recover are clearly divided into these two categories, while Gibson, of whom didn't get surgery but appears like he should have creates a third category that I assumed he wouldn't have been dumb enough to put himself in.  If Gibson didn't get surgery but was advised to, he's likely screwed his football career.  I could elaborate but that's the bottom line.  The other scenario is that the initial post season medical didn't indicate a requirement for surgery and something went wrong after.  The fact he's not 100% going into the season would indicate it would be wise for him to not play in 2021 IMO.  He needs to be 100% post turf toe or he lands in the Deon Sanders outcome category where he'll be out of football in a few years.  Prior to training camp if he's not 100% that's a career decision in front of him. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm one of those and it comes down to durability and what I saw in 2017 when Matt was a starter.  Matt is great coming off the bench playing 20 snaps a game but when he had a chance as a starter he wasn't the same explosive player, my guess is just like everyone in the league those reps take a toll and that's part of being a great player, being able to gut it out when you have nothing left in the tank.

If we are to compare apples to apples I would like to see Matt's 2017 season (last 11 games when he was a starter), compared to Payne's rookie season and then see what the data tell us?

I'm not sold on Matt being able to be an explosive player as a starter because I watched him start in place of Allen and he wasn't that effective.

For a part time player to have 7.5 sacks one season and 8.5 another, that's darn impressive.   As for pure sacks that's a better 2 year run than any other tackle on this roster.   His durability has been OK (granted could be better) until last year.   Jonathan Allen had a season like that too as for missing games but it just happened to be his first season.  Payne has been the more durable of the three.

While I agree with those who make the point sacks aren't everything for tackles and its also about being disruptive.  Ioannidis is pretty darn disruptive, too.  His QB hits number is as impressive as his sack numbers.  Granted hits isn't the only metric for disruption but its a good one IMO.   His sack/QB hit numbers beat the full timers with less reps.  That's not bad.  😀    I do like Payne and Allen though more as run stuffers. 

As @mistertim said when it comes to tackles, the premium is on pass rush.  And Ioannidis just might be the best interior pass rusher on this team.   I don't think its a coincidence that he got doubled teamed that much. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/sherman-terry-mclaurin-would-be-special-alongside-a-solid-no-2-wr

ESPN's automated analysis suggests Ioannidis has been double-teamed on 61.4% of his pass-rush attempts this season, which ranks among the 20 highest rates in football.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I caught some of recent practices watching clips on youtube this morning.  I only saw 2 clips of Gibson but he looked fast and spry to me in them.  Nothing gimpy right now as for his running. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/02/brandon-scherff-taylor-heinicke-washington-otas/

Second-year running back Antonio Gibson said the turf toe that forced him to miss two games late last year has lingered this offseason. He said he did not undergo surgery, and that while he rehabbed well enough to make his cuts Wednesday, the toe is something to monitor moving forward.

28 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Well, seasons over. That sucked.

I think I know what you were referring to....now. But opening this thread and reading this gave me serious gas. Maybe a heart attack. Hard to tell after a certain point. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

26 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think I know what you were referring to....now. But opening this thread and reading this gave me serious gas. Maybe a heart attack. Hard to tell after a certain point. 

I thought it'd be right under shredders post :ols: whoops

37 minutes ago, mojo said:

IMHO Ionnadis is the best pass rushing DT in the team easily.  

I hope he stays healthy this year and we can limit his snap count. He's a beast.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For a part time player to have 7.5 sacks one season and 8.5 another, that's darn impressive.

There's no doubt to me he's the best pass rusher in our interior DL but you watched him fill in for J. Allen in 2017 and he started 11 games.  What were the analytics in those 11 games?  If you can find them let me know, I'm curious.

I think that would be a better bench mark if you're looking for the answer as to who is more valuable to the team.

When faced with the issue of choosing a defensive lineman I'd be willing to trade... I think it's Allen.

In a perfect world I'd obviously love to keep the entire line intact. But Payne is our best run stuffer so I think he stays. I think the combination of Settle & MI98 could equal the production of Allen.

Again, this is a worst case scenario... But if we can't pay them all I think Allen would be my trade bait. A lot of this also hinges on if ioannidis can stay healthy this year as well.

Edited by DC Lumber Co.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

For the sake of the team, there is only one option available for Gibson.  If he doesn't do it, he's just not committed to the team.

He...*deep breath*...needs to amputate his toe.

Please clarify: Would such a procedure fall under the guidelines of "optional" "voluntary" or simply "off-season?" I'd like to know before we start another thread

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

For the sake of the team, there is only one option available for Gibson.  If he doesn't do it, he's just not committed to the team.

He...*deep breath*...needs to amputate his toe.

It sounds to me like you're lacks toes intolerant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Guys, can we please cease and desist with this "Ioan is the backup and/or rotational guy with limited snap count" myth? He's not a "relief guy" for Allen. He's 100% Allen's equal in a rotation at 3 tech (and on the field at the same time in some packages).

Comparing Ioan's last healthy year with Allen's last 2 years. I know in 2019 Allen was dinged up, so I figured I'd throw in 2020 as well because he was healthy and Ioan wasn't even a factor in how many snaps he took.

Jonathan Allen

2019:
RUN DEFENSE SNAPS    319
PASS RUSH SNAPS        400
Total snaps                       719

2020:

RUN DEFENSE SNAPS    331
PASS RUSH SNAPS        473
Total snaps                       804

Matt Ioannidis

2019:
RUN DEFENSE SNAPS    378
PASS RUSH SNAPS        449
Total snaps                       827

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, London Kev said:

It sounds to me like you're lacks toes intolerant.

I told that joke at a family get together a couple years ago (Why do cows have hooves?  Because they lack toes) and my sister sprayed milk out of her mouth and nose all over the table.  It was glorious. 

• Haha 1