Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mattress recommendations

Dan T.

We are looking to buy a new mattress.  I'm dreading the shopping process somewhat, though there is a world of online choices not available last time we bought.  Looking for comments on mattresses people have that they particularly like.  Wondering about the online mattresses like Purple, Leesa, Saatva, etc.   Thinking about one of those, but I'm reluctant to spend that much cash without taking it out for a test drive.  

Any insight? Thanks.

I have a mattress from Purple and I love it. Better than any spring or memory foam ones I've had in the past. They're not cheap but they're not overly expensive and they also last and keep up well. I've had mine for almost 4 years and it's still just as good as when I got it.

• Like 1

I've got nothing to add here, except these online mattress names are stupid.  What's up with these cutesy little one word names that companies are coming up with?  What the hell does the color purple have to do with a mattress?  What hippie came up with Saatva?  There's a mattress out there called Nectar.  Just...stop.

Have a sleep on the Queef mattress.  You'll never sleep better.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I have a mattress from Purple and I love it. Better than any spring or memory foam ones I've had in the past. They're not cheap but they're not overly expensive and they also last and keep up well. I've had mine for almost 4 years and it's still just as good as when I got it.

I think Mrs. Dan T. has it narrowed down to Purple or to Leesa Hybrid.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Have a sleep on the Queef mattress.  You'll never sleep better.

Hmm. I'd figure the sound would keep you up at night.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Haha 5

I have had very good luck with Original Mattress Factory over the past 15 years or so.  

2 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I was gonna recommend "not to soft, not to firm and giving you plenty of space"...but then I realized I misread the title as "Mistress recommendations".

Dude, check out The Original Mistress Factory!

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Dude, check out The Original Mistress Factory!

I prefer Mistress Discounters:

quaver_eighth_note_music_symbol_postcard-re359ae5d72b741eaa2f39681e17a2bf2_vgbaq_8byvr_704.jpg"Have a good night's sleep on us... Mistress Discounters!"

Edited by Dan T.
  • Haha 6

Anybody got recent experience with Sleep Number beds?  I almost got one some years back, but it was just more than I was willing to spend at the time.  Now, money is no object.  I'm intrigued by all the bells and whistles.

Our last several mattresses are awesome at first, then within a few years get uncomfortable.  I think they're probably too soft.  I dont like it too firm, but we've probably been going too far in the opposite direction.

We had a sleep number bed until about 5 years ago.  It was ok for the first couple years.  Then it developed some wierd bulges and became quite uncomfortable.  We tried the waranty, and nothing they said to do ever made it comfortable again.  The bulges kind of forced sleeping postiions that weren't comfortable.  We even tried witching sides of the bed figuring to even things out.  Nothing worked.  So we moved on and bought another bed.  Life is too short to spend a third of it uncomfortable.

• Like 3

So here’s what we decided:

we went with a traditional mattress. Tried some out and wound up with a serta hybrid x6 which is basically just a little stiffer than normal. 

where we decided to upgrade was by making it an adjustable bed. It turns out my lower back issues were due to too soft of a bed and sleeping on my side/stomach. Now that it’s adjustable, slight up on both ends creates a super comfortable setup where I sleep on my back. And ever since I’ve had no back pain. 

Also upgraded to a thicker/stiffer pillow 

adjustable bed is also awesome for sex. 

spent like 2k or 2500 total

we originally wanted to do something like sleep number but we’re turned off by the 8-10k price range. Super glad we went this route couldn’t be happier. Spent significantly less money. 

if you go this route just read reviews on the motors. Make sure you get one with a solid motor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Anybody got recent experience with Sleep Number beds?  I almost got one some years back, but it was just more than I was willing to spend at the time.  Now, money is no object.  I'm intrigued by all the bells and whistles.

Our last several mattresses are awesome at first, then within a few years get uncomfortable.  I think they're probably too soft.  I dont like it too firm, but we've probably been going too far in the opposite direction.

justice98 at the mattress store:

tenor.gif?itemid=4767084

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

justice98 at the mattress store:

tenor.gif?itemid=4767084

Listen, I gotta hear my wife complain about this mattress every night, like I didnt hear it the first 300 times. 😆 And then a Sleep Number commercial comes on and she goes "oooh, I want that, I dont care what it costs".  lol

• Haha 5

We bought a Casper mattress five or six years ago and I love it. I was concerned it would be hot like other memory foam products I’ve tried but nope. Since I’m kind of a lard ass these days, my side on the old one had a pronounced gulley😬😬 and it was making my back progressively worse.

The Casper mattress turned out to be some of the best money I ever spent. OTOH, given the condition of the last one, some plywood with steel wool and glass for cushioning would’ve been an improvement but still.

Edited by The Sisko

1 hour ago, tshile said:

How often do you get a new mattress?

Every decade or so ( 8-10 years ). I'm a side sleeper so I use an hybrid memory foam mattress, I don't like temperature-sensitive ones.

Edited by FrFan