Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

I could see him taking half a season to get up to speed.  Maybe more.  He's going to get to play and work through his mistakes though, so I am hopeful that he'll be playing fast by the end of the season.

He's raw and I still think he was a reach on draft day, who ran and jumped his way into the first round at his proday rather than justifying that draft range with his skill and football resume.  But I'm hopeful that he can be coached into a high quality finished product by the end of the season, and I don't think he's got an intense amount of pressure on him because the defense around him is good.  And the fact that we seem to have gotten huge bargains with our three picks in rounds two and three takes a lot of the pressure to succeed early off of him.  Even if he busts, the class will still look good if Brown, Cosmi, and St. Juste all get as good as we think they can, and Bates and Cheeseman will probably work out too.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

It will take him a game or two to get used to the speed of the game.  He clearly was thinking too much and not reacting enough.  As he gets more comfortable he won’t have to think, he can just react. He is a great athlete and a smart dude, he will be absolutely fine.  Don’t get crazy after one preseason game.

Seems I recall similar concerns about Chase Young the first couple games, he seems to be working out ok.

• Like 4

Jamin did fine I thought, he got knocked off course a fair amount causing him to get tackles 5+ yards out and was a bit slow to react but that's generally the only issues I had with his play. He plays fast but he needs to add more power to his pursuit to mix with his fluidity. He might be a bit lean for his height, he could probably put on 5 pounds just for some extra reinforcement. Some of that power is going to come once he's more sure of what he's seeing.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I could see him taking half a season to get up to speed.  Maybe more.  He's going to get to play and work through his mistakes though, so I am hopeful that he'll be playing fast by the end of the season.

He's raw and I still think he was a reach on draft day, who ran and jumped his way into the first round at his proday rather than justifying that draft range with his skill and football resume.  But I'm hopeful that he can be coached into a high quality finished product by the end of the season, and I don't think he's got an intense amount of pressure on him because the defense around him is good.  And the fact that we seem to have gotten huge bargains with our three picks in rounds two and three takes a lot of the pressure to succeed early off of him.  Even if he busts, the class will still look good if Brown, Cosmi, and St. Juste all get as good as we think they can, and Bates and Cheeseman will probably work out too.

Did not like the pick on draft day and I like it even less now. He had no defense for keeping blockers off his legs. He has little experience playing big time football. This is why we stink. We draft guys because we think because they are good athletes they will be good football players and that is far from truth. You wanted a guy who can make plays sideline to sideline but if your guy is tied up with a guard in the middle of the field he is not getting to the outside. Of all the good players available to us in round 1 we take a learning project?

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

This is why we stink. We draft guys because we think because they are good athletes they will be good football players and that is far from truth.

I don't think this is a very fair statement considering this staff has done quite a bit of this and so far it looks like most of it is working out beautifully and the book is far from written on Jamin. 

Antonio gibson last year was an athletic freak who didn't even have a real position and that has worked out great.

Logan Thomas was an athletic freak who had almost no production and that seems to be working out incredibly.

Sam cosmi is an athletic freak that would probably be awful if he didn't have those traits to make up for his sloppy mechanics but the early reports on him are very promising. 

So far I'm loving the strategy of drafting athletic freaks who can be groomed into our system because the early results have been spectacular. 

Have patience with jamin its a tough position to learn overnight. 

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Did not like the pick on draft day and I like it even less now. He had no defense for keeping blockers off his legs. He has little experience playing big time football. This is why we stink. We draft guys because we think because they are good athletes they will be good football players and that is far from truth. You wanted a guy who can make plays sideline to sideline but if your guy is tied up with a guard in the middle of the field he is not getting to the outside. Of all the good players available to us in round 1 we take a learning project?

It's an upside play.  The staff wanted to get faster on defense, and Jamin fits with that they want to do.  They interview and get to know him and what makes him tick, and then they determine that he's got the right mentality for the culture they're building.  They know his skills and experience are deficient, but they have determined that he's got the tools they're looking for and that they can teach him the skills and have a workable plan for getting him experience.  I don't mind the strategy, it doesn't work every time, but when it does work out, the results are excellent.

Like @redskinss said, the strategy has paid off with guys like Gibson and seems to be paying off with Cosmi and St Juste.  LB is a particularly tough position to learn in the modern game because their reads cover more field than the reads RBs, WRs, DBs, and OLs have to make.  Lately we've seen many highly drafted LBers really struggle in their rookie years before becoming comfortable, so it's not necessarily a bad sign if Jamin struggles the whole year.  I am not worried about him.  Our coaches are LBer teachers who get the position and they're going to be patient with Jamin.  I thunk it's only a matter of time before he learns his position, gets comfortable, and starts flying around out there.

EDIT: I'm also not that worried about not maximizing the value of our first round pick because, when you look at our whole class, we got so much surplus value from the Cosmi, St Juste, and Brown picks that our class would still be a net positive even if Jamin were to bust.  There is a real chance we just pulled in a four to five good player class.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm disappointed and I know that I'm completely wrong to feel like that. I knew it wouldn't be until mid-season that he started to look confident or comfortable. I knew that, but I was just overly excited. 

I even said that I won't be down on him, until the season is over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Is st juste an athletic freak?

I thought he was considered large for the position but didn't know he had high end athletic traits.

He has an 8.13 out of 10 for his RAS score, which is pretty good: https://ras.football/ras-information/?PlayerID=19350

Like @Anselmheifer said, it looks like his elite measurables are in size and agility scores, but that he's mediocre in explosion and speed.  But an 8.13 overall is still a very high score as it puts him in like the top 25% of all drafted corners, so his size and quickness scores must outweigh the low speed and explosiveness scores.  Given his lack of playing time in college, I think he qualifies as an athletic project and upside play.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

when you look at our whole class, we got so much surplus value from the Cosmi, St Juste, and Brown picks that our class would still be a net positive even if Jamin were to bust.

I agree, we get so wrapped up in where someone was picked that we forget to look at the class as a whole.

If we took cosmi in the first, st juste in the second, dyami with our first 3 and jamin with our second 3 we'd be doing cartwheels over the early returns instead of stressing that our first has struggled more than the other 3.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Is st juste an athletic freak?

I thought he was considered large for the position but didn't know he had high end athletic traits.

“The short shuttle would have been the best time at the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine, and the forty time is faster than Ohio State’s Damon Arnette ran last year. Arnette was drafted nineteenth overall, and is three inches shorter.

So you could say it was a good day for St-Juste.”

• Like 5

8 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Aren't you jumping the gun just a bit?

You've decided the guy is a bust after just a handful of plays in the first preseason game? Davis' very first action in the NFL?

I seem to remember some folks here calling Chase Young a "bust" because he didn't jump right out of the gate. We all know how that turned out.

Davis is a rookie. Give him time. It'll click for him eventually.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Why don't they just let the guy play the Will and let Bostic man the mike to start the season? They should think about his development as a phased approach -

Phase I: Get him comfortable enough to play LB in the NFL

Phase II: Let him become the QB of the defense.

Heck, it took Isaiah Simmons most of the year last year to get comfortable playing a Will role

• Like 1

They very well might we still have plenty of time before the opener. The real intrigue is watching the changes on the depth chart and playing time over the next 3 weeks. Expect more ebbs and flows. 

I wouldn't necessary advocate to switch him after his first NFL game. After all what is the preseason for?

Edited by SkinsFootball
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm disappointed and I know that I'm completely wrong to feel like that. I knew it wouldn't be until mid-season that he started to look confident or comfortable. I knew that, but I was just overly excited. 

I even said that I won't be down on him, until the season is over.

Nothing wrong with feeling this way. People over-hyped him way too much. With him being  a “freak athlete” and winning defensive rookie of the year. He may still do that but nothing in his college tape looked remotely close to those superlatives. It may take time and he may end up just being a guy.

• Like 3

Wouldn’t be Washington football if a bunch of fans weren’t already on the ledge after a preseason game regarding a rookie.

so far T Law has taken a couple sacks and made some questionable throws. Guess he’s a colossal bust as well.

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

I haven’t been paying attention, who exactly is on a ledge?

Nobody. I think the subcontext is that people wonder whether Jamin Davis deserved to be the pick at 18. A lot of us wish we’d traded up for fields. And a lot of us like Davis but think he was a reach. 

I think the key with him is going to be patience. Logic always would have dictated that he would need time. And we have a great defensive coaching staff and culture. But it’s hard to watch guys from the 3rd round have an immediate impact and not wonder if we made the absolute best choice with our 1st. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Nobody. I think the subcontext is that people wonder whether Jamin Davis deserved to be the pick at 18. A lot of us wish we’d traded up for fields. And a lot of us like Davis but think he was a reach. 

I think the key with him is going to be patience. Logic always would have dictated that he would need time. And we have a great defensive coaching staff and culture. But it’s hard to watch guys from the 3rd round have an immediate impact and not wonder if we made the absolute best choice with our 1st. 

Oh ok. That makes sense. So no one is actually on a ledge. Whenever I hear someone post that I always assume its utter chaos going on but doesn’t seem to actually be the case.

9 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

This is how I feel.  He can be a good pick without being the best pick.  I do feel like he was a small reach where we took him, and normally I'd be annoyed about opportunity cost, but I am starting to feel like we did make the best possible picks we could have in rounds the second and third rounds.  I didn't think that after the draft--I wanted us to get Tremble and Wyatt Davis with our third rounders.  But I've grown to like St Juste and Brown better.  St Juste wasn't on my radar at all predraft and I've been blown away by what little I've seen of him, and I think Brown might be better than Tremble.

I didn't get my hopes up for Etienne or Harris, but it will hurt a little bit if they end up being superstars and Jamin doesn't become a great player.  The other outcome that will hurt is if JOK ends up being way better than Jamin.  Other than that, I'm pretty much content with the Jamin pick as I wasn't an advocate for trading up for one of the QBs.  I don't think JOK is going to end up being way better than Jamin either.  Jamin is getting groomed by this coaching staff.  They are approaching his development very intentionally and have big plans for him.  He's going to eventually get the keys to the defense and be a team leader, like Kuechly was for Rivera.  I highly doubt that JOK is getting that kind of treatment and job security in Cleveland.  This organization is going to do everything possible to make sure Jamin succeeds.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, dyst said:

I haven’t been paying attention, who exactly is on a ledge?

50yearskin has already basically declared him a bad pick and epitomizes why the team stinks and blah. It’s easy to see the signs if you know the patterns around these parts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1