Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

If anyone liked our trade down, are you cool with trading down again in the 2nd, and adding a 5th or whatever fair value is, and maybe our 3rd rounder as well?  Just curious what the end game is of what I considering the watering down of talent when getting Wentz says win now.

I still want a QB drafted especially if they drop. Wentz is not a long term solution and suspect most here would agree with our usual homerism wait and see patience aside.  We rarely use draft capital on a QB (when we do its in the same year) and its time to start. I am eyeballing Malik someone that will need some work on his accuracy etc to give Wentz the fair chance we all know he is getting.

Edited by RandyHolt

38 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Hope we get crafty today. Trade next year's 4th or 5th rounder, trade Payne...slight trade back from 47 if the board falls our way... Do everything we can to stockpile mid round selections this year.

Payne for picks replaced with Phidarian Mathis or Otito Ogbonnia is a win.

Walker or Hall is a huge win

Chenal/Dean/Andersen/Muma is a win

Pitre/Brisker/Cross/Kerby is a win

Watson/Pierce/K.Austin/Thornton is a win

OG/OT with one of the 4ths is a win

So many different options to absolutely STACK this roster. I trust our scouts in the mid rounds. Let's go baby.

Don't steal from '23, if anything, add picks to '23, it's a better class. Besides, at this point with 4 picks in that supposed mega tier of 25-130 or whatever, we have plenty anyway. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I think we should call the trade a 2nd and a 3rd until we see otherwise. Since we always suck, they will be at best mid round, likely top 10.

We should call it a 3rd and 3rd because until he plays enough to make it a 2nd then it's literally a 3rd. The more rational argument is that it's more like a 4th since it's NEXT years pick vs moving down 5 spots got us 2 draft pick THIS year. So since it's still jsut April and we have no idea how the season will turn out, the reality is it's a 3rd until it is not, period.  

Also, this may not be a great roster but it's clearly more than a top 10 draft pick roster. But that's one of the many reasons a draft pick for next traded this year is down graded a round. 

It was a good trade. All they did was move down 5 spots, still got a solid guy and picked up 2 draft picks. Was it a all time great deal? No. It was a good deal though. I certainly like it better than what MN got for moving 20 spots down. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I don't know why we should care how it effects Wentz. He has had do or die seasons for two years straight and folded like a lawn chair. There's no reason whatsoever he should be given a respect at QB that hasn't been earned, and that Philly and Indy, who invested far more into him, did not give him either. If we have a QB we like a lot at slot, take him, if we don't, don't. Willis strikes me as an automatic selection, Corral and Howell I'd need to think more on, but if the medicals are good, I'd probably pull the trigger on any of the 3 over other need guys because I think all are reasonably good prospects, guys that would likely go in that 20-50 area in a good QB draft. Howell at one point was rated far higher, Corral was one of the fast risers before getting hurt, I like all 3 a bit and view them as worth the risk, pretty easily. Oddly enough, I didn't feel that way about Pickett, upside was basically bad version of Andy Dalton and that's a pass for me, I think Willis is a star or a bust, one or the other, I thinK Corral has about a 40% chance, maybe 43-45% chance of hitting as a top 8-14 type guy, and a 55-57% chance of being a career backup. I see Howell as a 50/50 guy. 

I think Wentz matters to the extent that when you invest you should invest. But my point there was that I’m not sure any of these guys winds up being a long term starter so they’re all backup types with upside and potential, especially from the start. So why use an early pick?

30 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

All you said is their size is different. What is about their skill set that you find incomparable? 

Play strength, physicality, contested catches.  They run differently too.  Lockett scoots around like a waterbug.  Dotson runs.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I don’t really understand the fascination some have with kicking Cosmi inside. He’s a freak athlete and played pretty well as an OT as a rookie. His development is on track to fill a role equal to his immense tools, on a rookie 2nd round contract. That’s the entire goal for a guy with his tools, even assuming he adjusts and is as good inside as he is at OT, I’m not sure moving him inside is even a net gain unless the guy you replace him with is a really really good prospect. Seems easier to me to just spend lesser draft capital for an actual OG who is like Cosmi but hasn’t already flashed big time at OT. Right? 

Probably just about getting our five best OLs on the field.  If you get a 6'7 tree of an OT who doesn't have the movement skills or the strength to kick inside to guard, then the best plan is probably to play Cosmi there since he has the position flex.  Some of these tall, lean OL prospects like Goedeke and Raimann could be really good players for us but they would be weaker options at guard than tackle because they just don't have the bulk and power to match up with the Jordan Davises and Fletcher Coxes of the league.

There's been a lot of talk about how the game is evolving, but I think the most profound change on the game is coming from the addition of the 17th game and it's lessening specialization in positions groups.  Basically all but the luckiest teams are going to run through a bunch of OL combinations every year now.  Guys who play all over the line like Jamaree Salyer and Kenyon Green will become more standard.  Same for DB play in the secondary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Wentz matters to the extent that when you invest you should invest. But my point there was that I’m not sure any of these guys winds up being a long term starter so they’re all backup types with upside and potential, especially from the start. So why use an early pick?

I'm a bit wishy washy on it, but I do think Willis is definitely worth the shot, and considering Howell carried a top 10 tag coming into the season from a lot of people, but then lost his top 2 WR's and a super elite RB (in terms of analytics anyway in certain metrics), I tend to ignore his '21, and eval him more on the '20 production and what he added this year (a rushing element). I think Howell is interesting, Corral is kind of big arm exciting, but offense he ran scary, plus slight of frame. I'd definitely pull the trigger on Willis and Howell the more I think about it, but I'm not sure about Corral, and also worth noting, I think I, and most people deep in their hearts, know there's zero chance they take a QB with the 2nd rounder unless they trade down again, or Willis falls to them and the latter seems monstrously unlikely, and the former while possible should almost certainly yield a different positional prospect so it's largely immaterial. I expect a QB to be selected with one of the fourth's. 

To add, when I did my position rankings this year I already noticed how difficult it was to project which players would play inside vs tackle.  So the way I categorized it was if the kid played tackle the majority of his draft year and in the games I watched, then I left him there for my ranking, except in the case of Jamaree Salyer, where I knew he played guard most of his college career and he looks like a classic guard prospect.  I also put Thayer Munford at guard too because he played there this season and was an All-American, but many are projecting him to tackle for the NFL, which is where he used to play.

The end result was that I ranked 15 OTs and probably at least 13 of them are equally projectable at guard.  And there was a lot of crossover for the guys I ranked at guard too.

Point is, these classifications of guard vs tackle may have already become arbitrary.  It's probably time to start looking at these dudes as general OL prospects, and you fit them in where you need players based on your roster situation.

1 minute ago, HoggLife said:

So for our next 3 picks as arm chair GM I pick:

#47  RB Mich St. Kenneth Walker

#98 T Minn Daniel Faalele

#113 RB BYU Tyler Allgeier

#120 QB Nev Carson Strong

Why would you draft two RBs

3 minutes ago, HoggLife said:

So for our next 3 picks as arm chair GM I pick:

#47  RB Mich St. Kenneth Walker

#98 T Minn Daniel Faalele

#113 RB BYU Tyler Allgeier

#120 QB Nev Carson Strong

5x offense.   That would surprise me a bit.   Especially 2 RBs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I'm a bit wishy washy on it, but I do think Willis is definitely worth the shot, and considering Howell carried a top 10 tag coming into the season from a lot of people, but then lost his top 2 WR's and a super elite RB (in terms of analytics anyway in certain metrics), I tend to ignore his '21, and eval him more on the '20 production and what he added this year (a rushing element). I think Howell is interesting, Corral is kind of big arm exciting, but offense he ran scary, plus slight of frame. I'd definitely pull the trigger on Willis and Howell the more I think about it, but I'm not sure about Corral, and also worth noting, I think I, and most people deep in their hearts, know there's zero chance they take a QB with the 2nd rounder unless they trade down again, or Willis falls to them and the latter seems monstrously unlikely, and the former while possible should almost certainly yield a different positional prospect so it's largely immaterial. I expect a QB to be selected with one of the fourth's. 

I think Howell and Willis have starter upside. But I’m not sure using a 2 on QB the year before a great QB class is wise. Having said that… if they think they are going to get a fair shake and pull the trigger I understand. But it needs to work.

Having also said that, there’s a chance next years class isn’t what everyone thinks it’s going to be. It’ll have at least 1 top end talent, likely 2

Graham Mertz maybe as well?

But outside of that are we sure Rattler is a high end guy? Kedon Slovis sure as heck isn’t. Can Ward? DJ Ukelele?

So if that class isn’t as loaded and everyone is saving ammo now WOULD be the time to strike.

Edited by KDawg

2 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Not only did we win the trade, the quality of the picks we received are higher than normal due to the depth of this draft.

I don't think we can know if we "won" the trade or not for a couple of years. If Hamilton turns into an All Pro game changer and Dotson ends up as a JAG + the other two picks we received don't do anything then we lost the trade big time.

A ton of people were convinced we "won" the trade in 2011 when we passed on J.J. Watt to trade back a bunch and ended up with Kerrigan and a ton of later round picks where we got future HoFers like Jenkins, Hankerson, Helu and Gomes. But whooboy did people here think we were clever as hell when it happened because we stockpiled so many picks.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think teams are going to try and jump Seattle who has the 8th pick in the second round, if I’m not mistaken.  You’d have to think that would be a good spot to draft Willis. 

And watch the Giants.  They didn’t pick up Jones’ option and they pick 4th tonight.

The Steelers got their guy by just staying put.

Carolina is totally screwed because they don’t pick again until the 4th.

I could see the Saints, Colts and Falcons all be interested in a QB in the second who could sit for a year or two.  And they’d most likely have to at least jump Seattle, maybe the Giants.