Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

15 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

To be fair about Guice, the key angle's there were largely unknown, namely, he'd sustain a pile of injuries AND he was a sociopath, but the latter was kept under lock and key until later w/regards to the public, and the former developed in the pros. 

Yep.  He was good in small spurts but his injuries and off the field baggage derailed him. 

3 minutes ago, Jds0912 said:

It’s the hand size, isn’t it?

No it’s the fact he stinks. For a pro ready and high floor guy he really seems to make a lot of mental errors, and he doesn’t have the physical tools to outweigh that. The hands are an unfortunate cherry on top that certainly can’t help matters, but I don’t think he’d suddenly be a top prospect if he had Russell Wilson sized mitts and still had the exact same college career progression. If anything I feel like the hands are almost a red herring preventing people from focusing on other potential issues. Weirdly reminds me of when people were focusing, using historical data, on whether Ryan Mallett was too tall to succeed lol. Like, my guys, there are other pressing issues here. Or when people were arguing over whether Johnny Manziel was too small. Largely cosmetic gripes that are not at all nothing-burgers, but certainly distract from other more salient issues. 

4 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Yeah, but that is predicated by the offensive formation. You would line up the same way in a 4-3 against a three wide receiver set. You’d be in a big disadvantage though if you had a traditional linebacker out there over a slot receiver so you change the personnel. The Mike still has the same assignments. Usually, he is an A gap run defender. His coverage assignment obviously changes based on whether we’re in man, cover two, cover three, etc. but he still doing the same thing that a Mike always does.

Not necessarily, no. I’ll type it up when I have time. I coach a 4-2 defense and used to coach 4-3 under/over, 3-4 and 3-3-5 variances. There are nuances that make a difference when defining a traditional Mike vs a backside inside backer and a lot is due to coverage schemes and safety alignment based on offensive formation.

So, I think I would actually be pretty damn excited if we were to pick Willis at #47. He won't be there, neither will Corral ... but both have good upside and Willis has elite traits. Feel like sitting behind Wentz for 1-2 years would be great. But I don't expect that pick to be made unless we give up something like a 2023 1st and a 4th to move up for an earlier 2nd rounder and maintain 2/3/4 to still get our needs filled.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

So, I think I would actually be pretty damn excited if we were to pick Willis at #47. He won't be there, neither will Corral ... but both have good upside and Willis has elite traits. Feel like sitting behind Wentz for 1-2 years would be great. But I don't expect that pick to be made unless we give up something like a 2023 1st and a 4th to move up for an earlier 2nd rounder and maintain 2/3/4 to still get our needs filled.

Oh yeah I’d take Willis if he were there too. ATL are nuts if they pass over him or don’t trade up for him to 33.

Slight feeling we may look at Calvin Austin. Get him back with his old teammate Antonio Gibson.

I somewhat agree with the people saying Rivera needs to lie in his Wentz bed and go all-in on supporting him. But at the same time, there does come a point when Willis (and even Corral if his character checks out) becomes a screaming value that outweighs the potential psychic damage to Wentz. He’s only going to succeed here if he grows from his past issues anyways, so at some point if these guys fall into your lap with the tools they have…you have to do the math. The tools are enticing and the price becomes manageable. 

I doubt we are faced with that decision, but if something surprising happens with the way the board falls you just never know. 

10 minutes ago, Conn said:

No it’s the fact he stinks. For a pro ready and high floor guy he really seems to make a lot of mental errors, and he doesn’t have the physical tools to outweigh that. The hands are an unfortunate cherry on top that certainly can’t help matters, but I don’t think he’d suddenly be a top prospect if he had Russell Wilson sized mitts and still had the exact same college career progression. If anything I feel like the hands are almost a red herring preventing people from focusing on other potential issues. Weirdly reminds me of when people were focusing, using historical data, on whether Ryan Mallett was too tall to succeed lol. Like, my guys, there are other pressing issues here. Or when people were arguing over whether Johnny Manziel was too small. Largely cosmetic gripes that are not at all nothing-burgers, but certainly distract from other more salient issues. 

I see a guy with good size, running ability, above average arm, good accuracy, intelligence, great personality, pocket passer, pro system experience, heisman trophy finalist, and experience playing against nfl talent. Seems like a guy teammates would rally around. He set the acc record for passing td’s. I think teams are gonna look back a few years from wishing they would’ve selected him. We do have a lot of needs but you gotta get a long term solution at qb if he’s there. It’s just my unpopular opinion. Time will tell. 

54 minutes ago, The Rook said:

If there, Raimann strikes me as Ron's pick at 47, assuming he meant what he said about getting Wentz some protection.  47 is a little rich for a lot of the other oline prospects.  The problem is that it is a long way to pick 98.

I would prefer Walker/Hall, so that means that isn't go to happen.

Also, all this talk about taking a QB in the 2nd/3rd, are you trying to freak Wentz out? So far, Ron has gone out of his way putting Wentz at ease - "... got to get him tools and protection ...". I can't believe he would jeopardize that by picking a QB early.  I have some concerns about the fragility of Wentz's ego. 

:229:The Rook

Yeah Raimann does fit the profile to a tee. So does Lucas and they met with him.   Maybe Kinnard?  He's not the best athlete but he's a mauler. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

3 minutes ago, Jds0912 said:

I see a guy with good size, running ability, above average arm, good accuracy, intelligence, great personality, pocket passer, pro system experience, heisman trophy finalist, and experience playing against nfl talent. Seems like a guy teammates would rally around. He set the acc record for passing td’s. I think teams are gonna look back a few years from wishing they would’ve selected him. We do have a lot of needs but you gotta get a long term solution at qb if he’s there. It’s just my unpopular opinion. Time will tell. 

He's been my QB1 for months now so I am just sticking to my guns but I agree with your assessment. We'll see.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah Raimann does fit the profile to a tee. So does Lucas and they met with him.   Maybe Kinnard?  He's not the best athlete but he's a mauler. 

People already confuse Leno and Lucas.   If they get a 2nd Lucas we are collectively going to struggle.   Haha

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

He's been my QB1 for months now so I am just sticking to my guns but I agree with your assessment. We'll see.

Somebody agrees with me! Davis Mills checked a lot of boxes for me last year too and I was screaming for us to take him in the 2nd round. I think Pickett will be better than Mills though. 

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Oh yeah I’d take Willis if he were there too. ATL are nuts if they pass over him or don’t trade up for him to 33.

Slight feeling we may look at Calvin Austin. Get him back with his old teammate Antonio Gibson.

I’m not opposed to double dipping at receiver, but carrying a pure slot guy like Austin seems excessive (when we already have 3 guys that might be better suited to the slot than outside). 

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

I somewhat agree with the people saying Rivera needs to lie in his Wentz bed and go all-in on supporting him. But at the same time, there does come a point when Willis (and even Corral if his character checks out) becomes a screaming value that outweighs the potential psychic damage to Wentz. He’s only going to succeed here if he grows from his past issues anyways, so at some point if these guys fall into your lap with the tools they have…you have to do the math. The tools are enticing and the price becomes manageable. 

I doubt we are faced with that decision, but if something surprising happens with the way the board falls you just never know. 

I’m thinking Ridder, Howell and Willis all go before out pick (I don’t know what to think of Corral now to be honest), but you have to consider them if they fall to 47.  And I’m someone who’s been thinking I wouldn’t draft a qb period.  To your point, Willis in particular due to his upside/tools.

I like the upside Wentz offers us, and we need to give him a strong supporting cast, but he’s still a gamble….  One that gives us low odds of landing a top pick to use on a qb as long as he’s in the fold.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jds0912 said:

Somebody agrees with me! Davis Mills checked a lot of boxes for me last year too and I was screaming for us to take him in the 2nd round. I think Pickett will be better than Mills though. 

We're on the same page friend. Davis was my favorite QB after Lance. I think Houston's doing the wise thing and building around him. At least I think that's the plan.

• Thumb up 1

I have a gut feeling that Troy Andersen is the pick if he's there. We're obsessed with position flex and Troy Andersen is the webster's definition of position flex.

Still can't believe we did the smart-FO move of trading down. I think they initially maybe thought they could do another trade down from 16 but with Dotson the last WR available they had a 1st round grade on, they didn't want to risk it.

Not only did we win the trade, the quality of the picks we received are higher than normal due to the depth of this draft.

It was always Drake London or trade down and they didn't stray from their smart plan. Watching Dotson closer after last night and I'm beyond excited for our WR room.

I'd do a backflip if we doubled up later on and brought in competition for Cam Sims with the likes of Kevin Austin or Tyquan Thornton, or Alec Pierce if he falls for some reason. What a home run that would be. Or maybe @KDawg guy, Fryfogle.

at minimum we need to bring in some UDFA tall WRs to practice squad as insurance for Sims.

@kdawg, you ready to party if we take Walker or Hall?

• Like 2

@SkinsinparadiseLucas sounds like what we’re looking for - improved pass pro to help Wentz, and allows us to kick Cosmi inside (catering to his strengths?) and thereby also improve our G depth.

Kind of crazy to think we could go qb, S, corner, ILB, IDL, RB, T or G at 47.  Hell, I wouldn’t rule out TE when it comes down to it.  The idea of trading down from 47 moved off my radar once we traded back from 11, but looking at that list, I have to figure the team will have a list of guys and know they could still get one with a move back.

Edited by skinny21

I don’t really understand the fascination some have with kicking Cosmi inside. He’s a freak athlete and played pretty well as an OT as a rookie. His development is on track to fill a role equal to his immense tools, on a rookie 2nd round contract. That’s the entire goal for a guy with his tools, even assuming he adjusts and is as good inside as he is at OT, I’m not sure moving him inside is even a net gain unless the guy you replace him with is a really really good prospect. Seems easier to me to just spend lesser draft capital for an actual OG who is like Cosmi but hasn’t already flashed big time at OT. Right? 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

We're on the same page friend. Davis was my favorite QB after Lance. I think Houston's doing the wise thing and building around him. At least I think that's the plan.

We’re one or two drafts away from being a well respected scout like KDawg! I can only hope I reach that level. Houston is being very smart by building around Mills. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Did we re-sign Corn Lucas? I know it was rumored but did it ever become official? Could make a difference going into Day 2 for me, since that would give us 3-4 deep at Tackle (counting Charles as a swing G/T)

Yes and post signing he gave us some epic quotes.  That should be reason alone to remember. 

"I picked up a good amount of traction, more than I have in the past. But everyone was faking and booty-shaking and Washington was the only one that came through."

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@SkinsinparadiseLucas sounds like what we’re looking for - improved pass pro to help Wentz, and allows us to kick Cosmi inside (catering to his strengths?) and thereby also improve our G depth.

I am all about adding depth on the OL. Because we brought in Rasheed Walker for a Top 30 I assumed he would be at play at 98/113/120. But Raimman would be fun as well. That being said, we have two solid starters at Guard right now.

Leno - Norwell - Roullier - Cosmi - Raimmann is a stout, stout OL. Plus you have the ability for Raimman or Cosmi to eventually flip to LT. But that also leaves Schweizer, Charles, Lucas as pretty high-end backups. Again, more OL the merrier, not going to complain about investments in the OL and would love the Raimman pick longterm. I guess I just assume we'll go OL in the 3rd or 4th with our added picks, which puts that player more into "backup mode" which is what I feel we need most right now. But adding a potential starter and kicking a current starter to depth isn't terrible, it just might be at the expense of adding a starting Buffalo Nickel, etc., which I feel are more important than upgrading at RG slightly from Schweizer to say, Comsi.