Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I don't dislike the pick for what it is, but I do wonder if Dyami Brown had balled out last season, would this have still been the pick?  It seems like in the modern era of the NFL, other than maybe QB, you see the difference makers contributing very early on, they obviously aren't at their peak level as a rookie, but the signs are there.  I know Dyami Brown wasn't healthy the entire season, but even when he was it didn't seem like he made much of a difference on the field.  All of this however is also said given the fact that we didn't really have a QB that can attack downfield and maybe it limited opportunities for players.  

I am also thinking that the organization knows with what they invested into Wentz for 2022 season, they need to know 100% going forward if they want to commit more money to him so maybe their thought is to load up on weapons for him so that  A) it leaves no doubt he has the players around him to succeed and B ) should he fail, the next guy we bring in already has the cast around him needed.

• Like 3

Burks was probably concerning as a culture fit given the work ethic/weight concerns that were leaked recently. I know you come from the dynasty community standpoint as do I @The Consigliere and I think Burks has been kind of overrated in that community all along. Not to say he doesn’t have the ceiling people tout, but the wishcasting for a blue chip prototypical 6’2” 220+ guy to be in a tier of his own has been a bit much all through the process imo

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I don't dislike the pick for what it is, but I do wonder if Dyami Brown had balled out last season, would this have still been the pick?  It seems like in the modern era of the NFL, other than maybe QB, you see the difference makers contributing very early on, they obviously aren't at their peak level as a rookie, but the signs are there.  I know Dyami Brown wasn't healthy the entire season, but even when he was it didn't seem like he made much of a difference on the field.  All of this however is also said given the fact that we didn't really have a QB that can attack downfield and maybe it limited opportunities for players.  

I am also thinking that the organization knows with what they invested into Wentz for 2022 season, they need to know 100% going forward if they want to commit more money to him so maybe their thought is to load up on weapons for him so that  A) it leaves no doubt he has the players around him to succeed and B ) should he fail, the next guy we bring in already has the cast around him needed.

We don’t have to commit any more money until after the 24 season.

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We don’t have to commit any more money until after the 24 season.

I think he’s talking about his salary, not guaranteed money.  

And (as a separate point) as far as guaranteed money, you have to wonder if he’ll expect/demand a new contract after this year.  

2 hours ago, Jds0912 said:

We’ll be frustrated for many years for passing on Kenny Pickett 

Pickett screams QB purgatory to me. Maybe that’s even being generous since I think he’s worse than Daniel Jones and even the Giants have figured out they can’t be stuck with him. 

Pickett falls somewhere on a scale between Clausen and Dalton imo and while I could see him game managing the Steelers in a Mac Jones kind of way until they get frustrated with his lack of ceiling, I don’t think he’s taking you anywhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Pickett screams QB purgatory to me. Maybe that’s even being generous since I think he’s worse than Daniel Jones and even the Giants have figured out they can’t be stuck with him. 

Pickett falls somewhere on a scale between Clausen and Dalton imo and while I could see him game managing the Steelers in a Mac Jones kind of way until they get frustrated with his lack of ceiling, I don’t think he’s taking you anywhere. 

I see Pickett taking over for Trubisky sooner than later and leading Steeler nation right back to the playoff's! :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I see Pickett taking over for Trubisky sooner than later and leading Steeler nation right back to the playoff's! :)

If he doesn’t take over for Trubisky sooner than later that would be extremely discouraging. His entire appeal is that he’s the most pro ready with the highest floor (setting aside the floor a rushing QB like Willis could have if a team were willing to build around it). The AFC is loaded and their division specifically is difficult and full of playmakers at QB. He’s not taking them over the top even if he game manages them to a wildcard. He can steward a good roster, which they have…but imo that’s about it.

QB’s are funny though, you just never know. There is always, always, a non-zero chance a guy develops into a stud. Technically. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That mock would have me heated. Guys like Anderson, Chenal, Walker, and McReary available and we take a freaking QB? No way.

Do you think we have an answer to the QB question on the roster? I don't.

FTR, I don't see any way they pull the trigger, maybe w/the late 3rd, but not with the 2nd, the trade of massive assets for Wentz if he stays healthy (a 3rd, a pick swap in the 2nd, and a 2nd in '22 if certain achievements are made is a LOT for a guy that was likely to be cut, Boonell redux, except even worse in asset lost, but at least Wentz is in his erm, prime). 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

I feel like we’ve been pretty transparent. WR. Buffalo nickel. OL. TB. Have we brought in any TE’s? I don’t think we go that direction. 

We did have a top 30 visit with Chig out of Maryland

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bernard Raimann sort of fits the Cosmi profile.   Different player burt some similarities   Can play tackle might be better at guard?  Uber ahtlete.  From Eastern Europe like Cosmi is from.   35 Wonderlic.   Has a nasty streak like Cosmi.

A bit undersized but has the frame to add weight. 

If there, Raimann strikes me as Ron's pick at 47, assuming he meant what he said about getting Wentz some protection.  47 is a little rich for a lot of the other oline prospects.  The problem is that it is a long way to pick 98.

I would prefer Walker/Hall, so that means that isn't go to happen.

Also, all this talk about taking a QB in the 2nd/3rd, are you trying to freak Wentz out? So far, Ron has gone out of his way putting Wentz at ease - "... got to get him tools and protection ...". I can't believe he would jeopardize that by picking a QB early.  I have some concerns about the fragility of Wentz's ego. 

:229:The Rook

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I feel like we’ve been pretty transparent. WR. Buffalo nickel. OL. TB. Have we brought in any TE’s? I don’t think we go that direction. 

• Jaquan Brisker, Safety, Penn State (PRI)
  • Leddie Brown, Running Back, West Virginia (LOC)
  • Spencer Burford, Offensive Tackle, Texas-San Antonio (PRI)
  • Treylon Burks^, Wide Receiver, Arkansas (COM, VIR)
  • Micheal Clemons, Defensive End, Texas A&M (PRI)
  • Matt Corral, Quarterback, Ole Miss (COM)
  • Nick Cross, Safety, Maryland (LOC)
  • Kaiir Elam, Cornerback, Florida (PRI)
  • Luke Goedeke, Offensive Guard, Central Michigan (PRI)
  • Breece Hall, Running Back, Iowa State (PRI)
  • Kyle Hamilton, Safety, Notre Dame (PRI)
  • Christian Harris^, Outside Linebacker, Alabama (COM, PRI)
  • Daxton Hill, Cornerback, Michigan (PRI)
  • Sam Howell, Quarterback, North Carolina (COM)
  • Tyree Johnson, Outside Linebacker, Texas A&M (LOC)
  • Zion Johnson, Offensive Guard, Boston College (LOC)
  • Drake London, Wide Receiver, USC (PRI)
  • Abraham Lucas, Offensive Tackle, Washington State (PRI)
  • John Metchie III, Wide Receiver, Alabama (PRI)
  • Chad Muma, Inside Linebacker, Wyoming (COM)
  • Otito Ogbonnia, Defensive Tackle, UCLA (PRI)
  • Chigoziem Okonkwo, Tight End, Maryland (LOC)
  • Chris Olave, Wide Receiver, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Desmond Ridder, Quarterback, Cincinnati (COM)
  • Brian Robinson Jr., Running Back, Alabama (PRI)
  • Tyler Smith, Offensive Tackle, Tulsa (PRI)
  • Isaiah Spiller, Running Back, Texas A&M (PRI)
  • Carson Strong, Quarterback, Nevada (WOR)
  • Cameron Thomas, Defensive End, San Diego State (PRI)
  • Cole Turner, Tight End, Nevada (WOR)
  • Luiji Vilain, Defensive End, Wake Forest (LOC)
  • Kenneth Walker III, Running Back, Michigan State (PRI)
  • Rasheed Walker, Offensive Tackle, Penn State (PRI)
  • Travon Walker, Defensive End, Georgia (STM)
  • Malik Willis, Quarterback, Liberty (COM)
  • Garrett Wilson, Wide Receiver, Ohio State (PRI)
  • Perrion Winfrey, Defensive Tackle, Oklahoma (PRI)
  • Samuel Womack, Cornerback, Toledo (WOR)
  • Jalen Wydermyer, Tight End, Texas A&M (PRI)

Per list above, it was reported earlier we were very keen on Tyler Smith so that list might just bring us a few players today and tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Never had Dean come in ? 

Willis did come in?

Don’t know, that more than likely wasn’t the final list. Dotson never came in for what it’s worth. Rivera and Co played that interest down pretty well.

Day 2 and day 3, I would expect a couple of those names above to surface for us.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Not really. But we've had this conversation. It depends what you mean when you say "MIKE".

Is it generic to mean a middle OR inside linebacker?

Or is it specific to be the 00 technique linebacker that plays A-Gaps and is protected by the 1-technique ala Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher.

Most teams don't utilize a MIKE in nickel. Dime? Yes. Nickel not so much. They ILBS are offset more towards the B-gap in that set in 30 techniques. But they can move depending on the play call of course. 

Some here prefer to use MIKE as a catch all term. Some here like to use it to describe the old school 00-technique middle linebacker and its confusing as hell because people use it interchangeably. 

The Mike is a Mike. Nickel and Buffalo Nickel are not different defenses. They’re different personnel. It’s still a 4-3 and the Mike has the same assignments and needs to be the same type of player. There’s about 100 quotes from last season from Rivera and Del Rio about how Jamin Davis was drafted to play MLB but didn’t fit the role and how we needed a true Mike there instead.

https://footballadvantage.com/nickel-defense/

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I had a faze where Dean was my favorite player in the draft, so yeah I'd be stoked.  But it feels like it won't happen, too good to be true

I haven't been this jazzed about a 2nd round RB, as to Walker (I like Hall, too) since Dalvin Cook (I was right about him) and Guice (I was wrong).

If Walker and Dean aren't there, i don't think its crazy to trade down again if possible.  I have so many RBs-TEs-OTs-Gs where I keep saying in my mind I love the value in the 3rd but no so much the 2nd.

Lets take McBride, I like him maybe in the late 2nd but not as much at 47.   And as for the guards so many of them to me feel 3rd-4th round, not so much 2nd.    If they miss out on Walker, my next favorite is Pierce but i don't like him at 47.  I can go on and on with guys that I think are third round or perhaps late 2nd round worthy.

To be fair about Guice, the key angle's there were largely unknown, namely, he'd sustain a pile of injuries AND he was a sociopath, but the latter was kept under lock and key until later w/regards to the public, and the former developed in the pros. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The Mike is a Mike. Nickel and Buffalo Nickel are not different defenses. They’re different personnel. It’s still a 4-3 and the Mike has the same assignments and needs to be the same type of player.

https://footballadvantage.com/nickel-defense/

There are variations of the nickel. We run it as a 4-2 or 4-4 alignment more often than a 4-3 alignment. We can have three backers on the field but one flexes out to the slot and the other two bump. It’s basic defensive rules.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:51 AM, clskinsfan said:

I am wondering if Jahan Dotson is going to declare. He is a straight up beast. His route running reminds me of Terry's in all honesty. 

Well done. I know you’ve seen all his reps, but fine call. 

Interestingly he came up a lot in the 2021 draft thread too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s the hand size, isn’t it?

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There are variations of the nickel. We run it as a 4-2 or 4-4 alignment more often than a 4-3 alignment. We can have three backers on the field but one flexes out to the slot and the other two bump. It’s basic defensive rules.

Yeah, but that is predicated by the offensive formation. You would line up the same way in a 4-3 against a three wide receiver set. You’d be in a big disadvantage though if you had a traditional linebacker out there over a slot receiver so you change the personnel. The Mike still has the same assignments. Usually, he is an A gap run defender. His coverage assignment obviously changes based on whether we’re in man, cover two, cover three, etc. but he still doing the same thing that a Mike always does.

• Like 1