Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would take Pierce with our second rounder all day long. If he is even there. Most underrated player in this draft. And if we pass on WR in round one. I hope he is there at 47.

I'm with you on Pierce. On his highlight reel, I heard an announcer say "he's got kind of an outside linebacker body." That seems accurate to me. He's got size, speed and really good hands. Wins with multiple defenders in his face. All of those traits along with his tight end mentality make him the kind of receiver that Wentz has always liked. He's high on my list.

• Like 2

One Corner I do like in this class is Tariq Castro-Fields. Just re-watched senior bowl 1-on-1s and he was the most consistent corner.

Didn't know he was a local kid either. From Upper Marlboro MD.

Don't see us taking a corner but he's one I wouldn't mind seeing us take.

19 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

They are idiots. Everyone else thinks the middle of the draft is full of worthy players.

They probably will botch this draft like they did in 21.

Wayyyy too early to write off the 21 class as a bust. Wait til we see what Davis, Juice and Dyami do this season before we go calling it a botched draft.

I'm still very optimistic on those picks. LB, WR and Corner all are positions that typically take a leap year 2.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

One Corner I do like in this class is Tariq Castro-Fields. Just re-watched senior bowl 1-on-1s and he was the most consistent corner.

Didn't know he was a local kid either. From Upper Marlboro MD.

Don't see us taking a corner but he's one I wouldn't mind seeing us take.

Wayyyy too early to write off the 21 class as a bust. Wait til we see what Davis, Juice and Dyami do this season before we go calling it a botched draft.

I'm still very optimistic on those picks. LB, WR and Corner all are positions that typically take a leap year 2.

Yeah, too early to write off the 21 class.  Some of the guys have a lot to prove.  But if you come away with three starters, a CB3, and WR3, that’s a successful draft.

Been watching Winfrey cut ups.  Kind of an inside/outside tweener like DeMarvin Leal, but easily better.  Probably settles as a predominant three tech but it feels like we might want him to play some end for us.  Definitely see him playing some passing snaps at the nose.

Has some really impressive rushes where he just keeps working and working and working against a brick wall of OL in front of him.  Then has some reps where he falls asleep at the snap and is the last one off the line.  I think his first step is really good, it's a matter of inconsistent ball get off.

He's on the small side for an IDL and he plays pretty high for a guy who really isn't that tall, but he makes up for the lack of mass/natural power with elite motor and arm length.  Played in a nice rotation from what I saw, and it kept him really fresh and active.  Same role he'd play here.  Good athlete for an IDL with nice comfort level making plays well off of his frame.  Wish he was a little faster and more capable redirecting and bending his rush arcs, but he's a mauling IDL so you can't expect but so much range on his rushes.

IMO he's definitely a one gap penetrator, so I'd be a little concerned about him having two gap or hold up the line at the point of attack.  So this is where having a nose like Daron who never misses time is a big luxury, so you can make a rotation with a bunch smaller and quicker penetrating IDLs like Winfrey and Allen work well.

And having Kyle Hamilton would be nice with IDLs like Allen and Winfrey so that we wouldn't have to two gap with two deep safeties.  People would flip out if we spent our only top 100 picks on defenders but Hamilton and Winfrey could honest to God be the BPAs at 11 and 47.  You have to trust BPA.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Rook said:

He is a pretty good punt returner, also.

:229:The Rook

He is.  He's got deceptive speed and find the holes in the D for short and intermediate pickups.  He can left wide open and take it to the house from time to time.

21 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Been watching Winfrey cut ups.  Kind of an inside/outside tweener like DeMarvin Leal, but easily better.  Probably settles as a predominant three tech but it feels like we might want him to play some end for us.  Definitely see him playing some passing snaps at the nose.

Has some really impressive rushes where he just keeps working and working and working against a brick wall of OL in front of him.  Then has some reps where he falls asleep at the snap and is the last one off the line.  I think his first step is really good, it's a matter of inconsistent ball get off.

He's on the small side for an IDL and he plays pretty high for a guy who really isn't that tall, but he makes up for the lack of mass/natural power with elite motor and arm length.  Played in a nice rotation from what I saw, and it kept him really fresh and active.  Same role he'd play here.  Good athlete for an IDL with nice comfort level making plays well off of his frame.  Wish he was a little faster and more capable redirecting and bending his rush arcs, but he's a mauling IDL so you can't expect but so much range on his rushes.

IMO he's definitely a one gap penetrator, so I'd be a little concerned about him having two gap or hold up the line at the point of attack.  So this is where having a nose like Daron who never misses time is a big luxury, so you can make a rotation with a bunch smaller and quicker penetrating IDLs like Winfrey and Allen work well.

And having Kyle Hamilton would be nice with IDLs like Allen and Winfrey so that we wouldn't have to two gap with two deep safeties.  People would flip out if we spent our only top 100 picks on defenders but Hamilton and Winfrey could honest to God be the BPAs at 11 and 47.  You have to trust BPA.

I could see him possibly taking Daron's place.  We can't pay too DL max contracts.  PFF has us netting a #50 for him.  Not bad considering.  If we could pick up a #50 or better and get Winfrey, I see it as a win.  In time, this year most likely next year he could take over for Payne and I can see our reserves doing so as well. We seem to be high a bit on Daniel Wise.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

I get that we have needs, and I keep hearing this. "We have holes!"

Can you find me a single NFL roster that doesn't have holes? We're not some weird outlier as a team that has holes they'd like to fill. Every single team does.

But the idea of being able to fill every single hole in your roster in 1 draft is simply not very plausible.

Sure, more picks would be great. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it if we can't trade back. Again, my position is simple. If there's a guy there you have rated as worth that 11th pick, then take him and don't try to be clever. If there isn't, then see if you can trade back.

Was not trying to suggest they need to fill every hole in this draft, sorry if that’s what you took away from my post.

The bottom line is so much of the draft is a guessing game with a varying (and uncertain) degree of risk/reward.  And so much of it is subjective.  And I was trying, in my last post, to articulate some of the factors people might be thinking about.  Not just filling holes, but the depth of the class, etc.  So as passionate as you are about taking a guy that’s worth it 11, other posters are passionate about the players that will/could be available by trading down… and we can come out ahead going that route.

For me, trading down would be a tough call.  I gotta say though, if a guy is worth #11, I’m not putting my blinders on and rushing to the podium.  All depends on what’s offered, who would be available in a trade down and what caliber of player I think I can get with the added pick(s).  

Not to beat a dead horse, but if I’ve got 4 guys I’m torn on at 11, a trade down with Houston or Baltimore makes a ton of sense to me.  If it’s 3 guys, I’m very unlikely to take the risk… so our thinking isn’t that far off I believe.

40 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Was not trying to suggest they need to fill every hole in this draft, sorry if that’s what you took away from my post.

The bottom line is so much of the draft is a guessing game with a varying (and uncertain) degree of risk/reward.  And so much of it is subjective.  And I was trying, in my last post, to articulate some of the factors people might be thinking about.  Not just filling holes, but the depth of the class, etc.  So as passionate as you are about taking a guy that’s worth it 11, other posters are passionate about the players that will/could be available by trading down… and we can come out ahead going that route.

For me, trading down would be a tough call.  I gotta say though, if a guy is worth #11, I’m not putting my blinders on and rushing to the podium.  All depends on what’s offered, who would be available in a trade down and what caliber of player I think I can get with the added pick(s).  

Not to beat a dead horse, but if I’ve got 4 guys I’m torn on at 11, a trade down with Houston or Baltimore makes a ton of sense to me.  If it’s 3 guys, I’m very unlikely to take the risk… so our thinking isn’t that far off I believe.

Sure, we can come out ahead by going the trade down route. Just like we can come out ahead by taking a guy we value at 11. If we pass up on a guy we like at 11 and then get a mediocre player with the later pick and a nobody with the added 3rd rounder and the guy we would have taken at 11 becomes an All Pro then we'd definitely not come out on top in that deal.

And I'm not passionate about sticking at 11. I'm passionate about not trading down just for the sake of trading down. If there isn't a guy at 11 who we really like and have a high grade on then absolutely see if we can trade down. But if we really like the guy at 11 and think he'll be a difference maker then we should take him and not try to get cute.

I also find it odd that people keep talking about how this isn't a top heavy draft and it's great for depth. If that's the case then why would teams be tripping over themselves to trade up with us? Wouldn't they also try to trade down if it's such a deep draft?

There's almost no reason for Houston or Baltimore to give up draft capital to move up one or two spots unless there's a guy who falls to us that they're absolutely positive will be snatched up before getting one or two more picks to them. That whole thing is a pipe dream IMO.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/19/2022 at 10:45 AM, Going Commando said:

What's the range where you all would pull the trigger on Jameson Williams?

IMO, if he's there at 11, we should take him. I dont care about his injury. I do, but he's worth the risk. We dont need him to be Jerry Rice next year, we dont have Super Bowl aspirations. We're laying the foundation for our offense. Once he fully recovers, God willing there's no big drop off in performance. We'd have a BEAST. He's hands down the best WR. He's the game breaker we DESPERATELY need. When the ball is in his hands, he makes **** happen. I dont want the Escalade (London), Benz (Olave), or he Hellcat (Wilson, even though he's the ONLY WR I'd take at 11 if Williams is off the board).

I want the shiny red Lambo.....

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21
  • Thanks 2

So, I was very impressed with Walker but watching film now on Breece Hall.  Tell me if anyone else thinks this.  He reminds me of Marshall Faulk when he runs and makes amazing catches out of the backfield.  Thoughts?  Everything about the guy is amazing.  

42 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

IMO, if he's there at 11, we should take him. I dont care about his injury. I do, but he's worth the risk. We dont need him to be Jerry Rice next year, we dont have Super Bowl aspirations. We're laying the foundation for our offense. Once he fully recovers, God willing there's no big drop off in performance. We'd have a BEAST. He's hands down the best WR. He's the game breaker we DESPERATELY need. When the ball is in his hands, he makes **** happens. I dont want the Escalade (London), Benz (Olave), or he Hellcat (Wilson, even though he's the ONLY WR I'd take at 11 if Williams is off the board).

I want the shiny red Tesla......

Jameson Williams has been my #1 want at Receiver all along and I'm right there with you. I'm not worried about the knee. ACL's aren't the huge concern that they used to be. The Doctors have that surgery and the rehab down to a science and recovery time is so much shorter these days. This guy is a Monster. That speed is off the charts!  Watch the film. Guys have angles on him and he runs right by them like they are standing still. You cant teach speed and that's just the beginning with this guy. If he's there at 11 I'll RUN to the podium. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Hamilton and Winfrey could honest to God be the BPAs at 11 and 47.  You have to trust BPA.

Agreed. If we stay at 11 and 47 you must commit to the principle that you are taking outright BPA. Stay with fewer picks but add the best quality prospects available.

Or you sacrifice an element of that, trade back and try to cover more bases by getting extra picks.

There is still enough serviceable talent available in FA so I’m fine with either approach. Just commit to a strategy/set of principles and then execute it well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don’t think there’s a shot in hell DT2 is on the board at 47. But I don’t think many teams use pure BPA in their selections, either. There is almost always an element of weighted need.

Let’s say Walker/Winfrey are both available at 47. Who is the BPA there? I think they’re both ultra talented players. I’d go so far to say Hall/Winfrey on the board is an intriguing question. 

If a non-WR prospect falls to them at 11 and they take him, I think it really forces their hand to take a WR in the second round. I have heard many times that the quality of WR prospects will drop off after round 3. However, I've been lead to believe that RB is decent through the late rounds. 

Figure I'll sell Crum as our backup target for QB:

Highlight videos aren't the best way to evaluate but I don't want to post games...

So let me get right to my comp: Taylor Heinicke. But... with an arm and larger frame. Scrappy, can run, has a better arm, seems to have a solid football IQ. 

5 years of college ball. His age may be concerning if you are drafting him to be the man, but we're looking for a backup. 

If you're a statistics guy: 

image.png.a01e404186e20fd481cae369335f956f.png

image.png.c2df22c0729fe74d2dae2aa3f558fb46.png

He doesn't block us from going QB if we need to next year. He can develop into something solid. 6-3, 205ish.

He's my backup QB target.

• Like 3

@KDawgYour analysis is mind blowing.   we should talk around fantasy football season. LOL

https://heavy.com/sports/tampa-bay-buccaneers/nfl-draft-rumors-washington-commanders-trade/

Interesting trade rumor, coming from the Tampa angle of course.  Once T-mac and Payne resign, I think sweat is odd man out.  Sell high?He still has the 2020 season on peoples minds with a decent contract situation.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

If a non-WR prospect falls to them at 11 and they take him, I think it really forces their hand to take a WR in the second round. I have heard many times that the quality of WR prospects will drop off after round 3. However, I've been lead to believe that RB is decent through the late rounds. 

Yeah the problem with strictly going BPA and no trade downs is when their are team needs. And we need a WR2

There is a good chance BPA at 11 could be OL, DL or CB.

I am cool with taking them but what's the chances BPA at 47 will be a WR? Zippo, same over the next couple rounds

So we should plan to address WR in FA or the 6th round

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

They are idiots. Everyone else thinks the middle of the draft is full of worthy players.

Always downplay your true intentions and opinions at this stage.  They are trying tell other teams that they want to trade down without actually saying it, IMO.

Just now, DWinzit said:

Yeah the problem with strictly going BPA and no trade downs is when their are team needs. And we need a WR2

There is a good chance BPA at 11 could be OL, DL or CB.

I am cool with taking them but what's the chances BPA at 47 will be a WR? Zippo, same over the next couple rounds

So we should plan to address WR in FA or the 6th round

In my opinion if we don't go receiver at 11 or 47 it's not worth going WR. There's a lot of solid prospects, but I don't know how many are there in the 4th. Maybe a few. So maybe I shouldn't be so definitive. But...

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Don't call me names.

And everyone doesn't include me, that's for sure.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

Thoughts on Kyle Philips from UCLA.  Would be a great slot WR.  

I hit up Kyle Phillips on this thread last weekend, he reminds me of Adam Humphries.  Played slot at UCLA and IMO would have to likely do the same in the pros.   Has some of the smallest hands and wingspans in this class so for that among other reasons i think you got to keep him at slot.

I'd be surprised if he's a target.  Trying to recall who said it, whether it was Keim or Standig but one of them said they are intrigued by Milne's development in the slot.  To that end between that and Samuel being arguably better at slot, I'd be surprised if they'd go for a pure slot WR unless that WR has great upside which IMO doesn't fit Phillips.  But who knows?

• Like 1

I've been watching the Hey Rookie episodes on ESPN, Dotson is among the 5 players featured, he comes off well, serious-determined.  Evan Neal comes off to me a little lost.  Stingley doesn't have much personality IMO at least not so far.  Zappe comes off like a nice dude but not a leader of men type.

Last year around the same time, I hyped Micah Parsons and how he came off on the show.  There was some fear here he was a bad guy.  But he came off really well on that show -- competitive as heck, articulate, charasmatic, some of the other players on that show seem to gravitate towards him.  My one worry then was too much personality?

They had a little Garrett Wilson on one of the episodes because he's training with Dotson -- he reminds me a little of Parson's Alpha personality.  I've seen Wilson in other interviews -- he comes off with a lot of personality and in a good way.  I saw somewhere he got a 28 Wonderlic score.   I know Chris Olave is more of the Art Monk quiet dude type.  If I recall Olave with a 22 Wonderlic.  Not that it matters.  Treylon Burks I saw got an 11. 

Watched a TV show featuring the stories of different players.  Wow, the story around one of my favorite players in this class, Zamir White is wild.  Rudy like in a different way though.  Wasn't supposed to survive after he was born, only weighed a few pounds, had a cleft lip among other things which he later had surgery on, kids treated him different, he did his own thing and built himself into a football player.  Then he had the ACLs in college.  Seemed like a really good dude who has been through a lot.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

In my opinion if we don't go receiver at 11 or 47 it's not worth going WR. There's a lot of solid prospects, but I don't know how many are there in the 4th. Maybe a few. So maybe I shouldn't be so definitive. But...

Fully agreed, there should be a number of good WR's (and many other positions of need)  at 47. It is doubtful they would be BPA though