Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we want him at #47, I think he's there for the taking.  But what about WR.  Your limited at #113 unless we trade down.  We could get Hamilton (Many on here want him at #11) there are other options and I think Daxton Hill would be an excellent FS/CB option interchangable in different packages or in case of injury if we traded down into the 20s, otherwise you have Hamilton at #11, Walker at #47, then this is what the rest of the draft might look like.  Does it satisfy those who want Hamilton at #11 and Walker at #47?

pff_mock_results (21).png

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Okay, so... You like it. It's one of the rare trade back scenarios where I would like it... Kind of... but not really...

But... Do the Ravens like it? A 3rd to move up 3 spots? 

Look how our fanbase is losing its mind over trading a third rounder.

Look at the simulated mock I just did with Hamilton and Walker as the first two pick.   You like that?  I don't.  The Ravens might see a player fall and move up 3 spots to get him.  We may not want to move back any more IF and I emphasized IF RR wants Olave, KDawg.  Just trying to keep it real. 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

I've sort of helped lead the band on the idea that Kyle Hamilton isn't IMO the best player in this draft ala what I'd say about a 1/3 give or take mock drafters believe or that he's some generational safety.

I don't think he's a slam dunk top 10 pick.  And he's not even my top desire at 11.  He's after Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Devin Lloyd for me in the range of our pick.

Yet I don't think at all he'd be a reach at 11.  He's a really good player.  He's fast enough.  He has the instincts and length to make up for any speed deficit.  And his athleticism was great aside from the 40 as for combine testing. 

Just because he's not a single high safety doesn't matter IMO.  The NFL is mostly now split coverage which he excels at. 

I think he's almost the perfect player after Lloyd to take this defense up a notch.

I've mentioned before among other things we don't have that brainiac on the back end of this defense ala Ed Reed was for the Ravens.  Or even lesser players like Ryan Clark.  Hamilton brings some freakish length-size-instincts-verstaility and smarts to a unit that arguably desperately needs just that. 

so while he's not my top want at 11, I'd be jazzed if that's what they do. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If we want him at #47, I think he's there for the taking.  But what about WR.  Your limited at #113 unless we trade down.  We could get Hamilton (Many on here want him at #11) there are other options and I think Daxton Hill would be an excellent FS/CB option interchangable in different packages or in case of injury if we traded down into the 20s, otherwise you have Hamilton at #11, Walker at #47, then this is what the rest of the draft might look like.  Does it satisfy those who want Hamilton at #11 and Walker at #47?

Look at the simulated mock I just did with Hamilton and Walker as the first two pick.   You like that?  I don't.  The Ravens might see a player fall and move up 3 spots to get him.  We may not want to move back any more IF and I emphasized IF RR wants Olave, KDawg.  

It's a possibility.

I don't love Hamilton at 11. Mostly because I am all about offense there at this point and he's my second preferred defensive player there. But I like it. Hamilton is one of the best D players in the draft.

And yeah, sure, maybe that scenario happens where the Ravens want to move up. Maybe Houston or Minnesota, too. Maybe the idea that we take Hamilton spooks them to jump us or over offer us for 11. It's all possibilities and they are all intriguing. But you have to get that perfect storm for it to happen and its just not very likely.

But if that happened and we stayed within a few picks I'd be more open to the idea.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

3 picks in the top 188 simply isn’t enough. We’re trading back unless a perceived top 5 prospect on our board is sat at #11.

But we drafted Carson Wentz, too. So I don't agree here. I don't fault anyone for wanting additional picks, though. But let's not pretend like we didn't put that 3rd to fantastic use.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Look at the simulated mock I just did with Hamilton and Walker as the first two pick.   You like that?  I don't.  The Ravens might see a player fall and move up 3 spots to get him.  We may not want to move back any more IF and I emphasized IF RR wants Olave, KDawg.  

I'd rather go WR everything being equal but as I just posted I'd be more than cool with Hamilton.

In that scenario in the 4th, I think one or two of these WRs might still be there:

Danny Grey, Thorton, Shakir, W. Robinson.  A little further down maybe Velus Jones, Melton. 

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Edit 1: Wyatt dropping on my board. Domestic violence? Yikes.

Oof. Neither of those are good. Yeah domestic violence is a no-go for me. Pickens apparently interviewing very poorly is also a huge red flag. How in the world do you do that poorly in what may be the most important interview of your life?

That's why I'm really iffy about Burks as well. If you can't be arsed to get in decent shape for such an incredibly important interview and process then what will you do when you've already been picked up by a team and have a few million in the bank?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

3 picks in the top 188 simply isn’t enough. We’re trading back unless a perceived top 5 prospect on our board is sat at #11.

It's not enough and it's why I see no way a RB is even under consideration at #47 if we didn't trade back from #11 to get multiple picks in the 2-4 range.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

It's not enough and it's why I see no way a RB is even under consideration at #47 if we didn't trade back from #11 to get multiple picks in the 2-4 range.

You got it.  We're dreaming of taking a Walker or Hall. We'd have to take a RB or real value with pick #113 because I would think WR, FS are the most important roles to fill, then you get the pick of the litter at #113.  

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But we drafted Carson Wentz, too. So I don't agree here. I don't fault anyone for wanting additional picks, though. But let's not pretend like we didn't put that 3rd to fantastic use.

Yeah I get the Wentz line, I’m one of the stronger supporters of that move I’d say. 

However, the point is that as things stand today we don’t have enough picks in the top 5 rounds.

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

You got it.  We're dreaming of taking a Walker or Hall. We'd have to take a RB or real value with pick #113 because I would think WR, FS are the most important roles to fill, then you get the pick of the litter at #113.  

I actually think RB is very likely in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah I get the Wentz line, I’m one of the stronger supporters of that move I’d say. 

However, the point is that as things stand today we don’t have enough picks in the top 5 rounds.

Well, IMO, if it is we'd better be trading down in the 1st if we want a notable RB.  

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Ideally you have 5. We have 3. 

So we'll net 4 of 5 players.

This team has some holes. One of the reasons I advocate for offense is due to us having as few picks as we have. Fix our offense and the defensive holes are lesser.

But I'd rather fill the offense with premiere players than trading back just to plug holes with bandaids.

Just now, RWJ said:

Well, IMO, if it is we'd better be trading down in the 1st if we want a notable RB.  

Disagree. I have it as one of our biggest needs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I understand some reticence re: RB's for us but personally if Walker is somehow there for some reason this is one of those sprint the card in scenarios for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ideally you have 5. We have 3. 

So we'll net 4 of 5 players.

This team has some holes. One of the reasons I advocate for offense is due to us having as few picks as we have. Fix our offense and the defensive holes are lesser.

But I'd rather fill the offense with premiere players than trading back just to plug holes with bandaids.

Disagree. I have it as one of our biggest needs.

Then the draft I did with Ham at #1, not belittling him by calling him that and Walker/Hall is about what you get in that case or something close to it, KDawg.  Your a good dude, KDawg and I respect your opinion, brother.  Just saying.  We all have our likes and dislikes.  Cool?  :)  

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Also, I'm curious to how people feel about Landon Collins vs Hamilton at buffalo nickel (because that's the position Hamilton would play) Would Hamilton be significantly better? If not, then you trade down.

This would be the only thing that would irk me about drafting Hamilton at 11. Landon was outpacing his all-pro season in every single statistic except for tackles once switching to the Buffalo nickel position. We saved 11 million by cutting him. Hamilton would cost us about 12 ish in year 1. So Hamilton would have to come in and give close to that type of production to give the same type of value right away 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Then the draft I did with Ham at #1, not belittling him by calling him that and Walker/Hall is about what you get in that case or something close to it, KDawg.  Your a good dude, KDawg and I respect your opinion, brother.  Just saying.  We all have our likes and dislikes.  Cool?  :)  

I never said it wasn't cool.

Everyone is different. I just think the concern with taking a RB at 47 (specifically if it's Walker or Hall on the board) is kind of nuts.

One of them + a receiver at 11 makes the entire football team better.

I don't understand that first sentence, but if I see it right, do you mean Hamilton + Walker/Hall is what you get in that scenario? 

I don't know what was off the board when you picked Hamilton, but for ME, I'm only speaking for me here... if Wilson/London/Lloyd are off the board there then I'm okay with Hamilton. And in that case where Walker is there at 47 I don't take a receiver over him. RB1 or WR 12.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I will say another positive about drafting Hamilton is that it alleviates the need to draft a LB. We can play that 4-2 alignment. That would give us a starting 11 on D that should be on worse than top 10.

we still need to draft one as we have literally no depth there. a large part of the dallas beatdown in primetime was we had NONE of our linebackers. Collins, Holcomb, and Davis were all out we literally started a guy that didnt even have a Sunday night Football intro. we absolutely need another lber. but we wouldnt need one early for sure. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I never said it wasn't cool.

Everyone is different. I just think the concern with taking a RB at 47 (specifically if it's Walker or Hall on the board) is kind of nuts.

One of them + a receiver at 11 makes the entire football team better.

I don't understand that first sentence, but if I see it right, do you mean Hamilton + Walker/Hall is what you get in that scenario? 

I don't know what was off the board when you picked Hamilton, but for ME, I'm only speaking for me here... if Wilson/London/Lloyd are off the board there then I'm okay with Hamilton. And in that case where Walker is there at 47 I don't take a receiver over him. RB1 or WR 12.

You read me right.  :)  I had to restart the PFF mock like 20 x to get it to allow me to pick Hamilton. He's probably off the board before we pick but it all depends on what team loves what player when they pick as we know.  Been some strange picks in the 1st rounds.  Al Davis is gone but he would make us shake out heads during those years.  Yes, I think it's very probably that London and Wilson or one of the two are there and definitely Lloyd but I am not high on Lloyd like you are.  I have him in the bottom of the 1st/very beginning of the 2nd.  That's just me.  One other thing I've pointed out.  RR and Co. may really like Olave and want to move down.  Another option.  

34 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Pickens apparently interviewing very poorly is also a huge red flag. How in the world do you do that poorly in what may be the most important interview of your life?

Because these guys are slightly arrogant and know they're getting picked.  Very different from someone who's gotta nail an interview in order to land a great job and advance their career.

Man, I dunno what I want out of this draft.  I haven't done my homework this year like I have in years past.  Lotta strands in old duder's head over here but I think the good news is that at 11 there seem to be multiple good options for us from what I can tell.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

we still need to draft one as we have literally no depth there. a large part of the dallas beatdown in primetime was we had NONE of our linebackers. Collins, Holcomb, and Davis were all out we literally started a guy that didnt even have a Sunday night Football intro. we absolutely need another lber. but we wouldnt need one early for sure. 

That's why I think Andersen ILB at #47 makes sense and is rising fast on some draft boards.  Then you come back and nab Sterling Weatherford FS who has the exact same build as Hamilton who played at school that didn't have the talent or get the notoriety like ND got.  See what little bit of tape if you desire on Weatherford and read info on him.  We were at his Pro Day so there is a chance he maybe, maybe considered at #113.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

You read me right.  :)  I had to restart the PFF mock like 20 x to get it to allow me to pick Hamilton. He's probably off the board before we pick but it all depends on what team loves what player when they pick as we know.  Been some strange picks in the 1st rounds.  Al Davis is gone but he would make us shake out heads during those years.  Yes, I think it's very probably that London and Wilson or one of the two are there and definitely Lloyd but I am not high on Lloyd like you are.  I have him in the bottom of the 1st/very beginning of the 2nd.  That's just me.  One other thing I've pointed out.  RR and Co. may really like Olave and want to move down.  Another option.  

In the case that they want Olave and they try to trade back to get him - I'm good with that. But... they better make sure they don't screw themselves and lose out on all the others + Olave because they got cute.

Imagine the forum if that happens.

We're at 11... London, Lloyd (name any two of our favorites) are on the board... They see an opening to trade back because they think they can get Olave. They drop to 20ish from 11.

And at 18 Olave comes off the board... And we're left with a reach receiver. Or OT 4. Whoops.

Steve might get his wish there, though, and get Linderbaum :ols:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

In the case that they want Olave and they try to trade back to get him - I'm good with that. But... they better make sure they don't screw themselves and lose out on all the others + Olave because they got cute.

Imagine the forum if that happens.

We're at 11... London, Lloyd (name any two of our favorites) are on the board... They see an opening to trade back because they think they can get Olave. They drop to 20ish from 11.

And at 18 Olave comes off the board... And we're left with a reach receiver. Or OT 4. Whoops.

Steve might get his wish there, though, and get Linderbaum :ols:

That's why I said earlier there is a limit and I have it at #14.  We'd HAVE to have a need and want from the Ravens to want to try and trade down give up their 3rd rounder.  That's the only way a trade down with Olave works for me and be safe with it.  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

This would be the only thing that would irk me about drafting Hamilton at 11. Landon was outpacing his all-pro season in every single statistic except for tackles once switching to the Buffalo nickel position. We saved 11 million by cutting him. Hamilton would cost us about 12 ish in year 1. So Hamilton would have to come in and give close to that type of production to give the same type of value right away 

Couldn't agree more. You don't need an Elite talent to excel at buffalo Nickel. A productive buffalo can be had later or just bring Landon back himself.

Yet more evidence of why trading back is the right move. 

If we go into post draft FA with more than one hole we did it all wrong. Gonna be watching dudes like Mayo get burnt... 

Just because our 3rd = Wentz doesn't mean it's not valuable draft capital. We are really good in the third round. You want to miss out on a guy like Terry or Gibson for a non-superstar at 11?

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1