Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Couldn't agree more. You don't need an Elite talent to excel at buffalo Nickel. A productive buffalo can be had later or just bring Landon back himself.

Yet more evidence of why trading back is the right move. 

If we go into post draft FA with more than one hole we did it all wrong. Gonna be watching dudes like Mayo get burnt... 

Mayo won't be on the field and if he is he's going to be a pure MIKE and have no real coverage role other than the hole. So no, you won't. :ols:

• Like 1

not gonna lie @Skinsinparadise  has really sold me on the idea of Walker from MSU. Heres my dream scenario. Jameson Williams is still on board at 11 KC trades us 29, 30, 62 and and 94 for 11 and 47. We draft Cine and Walker at 29 and 30. Grab Pierce at 62 and then draft best available Lber or TE at 94. Basically you get two firsts and a third for kc to move up 18 spots in first and 15 spots in second. But i love the idea of stacking your backfield ala cleveland. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

If we go into post draft FA with more than one hole we did it all wrong. Gonna be watching dudes like Mayo get burnt... 

Now that just can't occur! 

They need a Hybrid/BN out of this draft or bring in the Honey Badger one Thursday or Friday night. I sure hope a day two pick fills this void

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Mayo won't be on the field and if he is he's going to be a pure MIKE and have no real coverage role other than the hole. So no, you won't. :ols:

We would have ran more 3 LB sets if we had the talent. We played primarily with a  Buffalo because we didn't have the personnel. 

Keim has said LB is a target after the 1st round. It's a need.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrshadow008 said:

not gonna lie @Skinsinparadise  has really sold me on the idea of Walker from MSU. Heres my dream scenario. Jameson Williams is still on board at 11 KC trades us 29, 30, 62 and and 94 for 11 and 47. We draft Cine and Walker at 29 and 30. Grab Pierce at 62 and then draft best available Lber or TE at 94. Basically you get two firsts and a third for kc to move up 18 spots in first and 15 spots in second. But i love the idea of stacking your backfield ala cleveland. 

We won't get the much for our #11.  We'd get both of their 1st and like pick #103 I think which is a low end 3rd.  

Just now, Forever A Redskin said:

We would have ran more 3 LB sets if we had the talent. We played primarily with a  Buffalo because we didn't have the personnel. 

Keim has said LB is a target after the 1st round. It's a need.

Yes, if we had Devin Lloyd we would have had 3 backers on the field in a 4-2 alignment. LB is a need, specially ILB and not MIKE, because we have no depth. Zero. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

This would be the only thing that would irk me about drafting Hamilton at 11. Landon was outpacing his all-pro season in every single statistic except for tackles once switching to the Buffalo nickel position. We saved 11 million by cutting him. Hamilton would cost us about 12 ish in year 1. So Hamilton would have to come in and give close to that type of production to give the same type of value right away 

All of our draft picks if we stay put with each pick comes to around 4.5m cap hit for 2022, that's for all of them not just 11th pick. 

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

If we want him at #47, I think he's there for the taking.  But what about WR.  Your limited at #113 unless we trade down.  We could get Hamilton (Many on here want him at #11) there are other options and I think Daxton Hill would be an excellent FS/CB option interchangable in different packages or in case of injury if we traded down into the 20s, otherwise you have Hamilton at #11, Walker at #47, then this is what the rest of the draft might look like.  Does it satisfy those who want Hamilton at #11 and Walker at #47?

pff_mock_results (21).png

Look at the simulated mock I just did with Hamilton and Walker as the first two pick.   You like that?  I don't.  The Ravens might see a player fall and move up 3 spots to get him.  We may not want to move back any more IF and I emphasized IF RR wants Olave, KDawg.  Just trying to keep it real. 

RWJ, one constant with all your mocks, your boy Coan is always available! ;) 

I hope things work out different than Hamilton at 11

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

All of our draft picks if we stay put with each pick comes to around 4.5m cap hit for 2022, that's for all of them not just 11th pick. 

Sorry total cap hit for all players is about 8m but our 1st round pick  number 11 is a 3.75m cap hit. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Couldn't agree more. You don't need an Elite talent to excel at buffalo Nickel. A productive buffalo can be had later or just bring Landon back himself.

Just because our 3rd = Wentz doesn't mean it's not valuable draft capital. We are really good in the third round. You want to miss out on a guy like Terry or Gibson for a non-superstar at 11?

Responding to your edit: I think a superstar will be there at 11. So I disagree with your whole premise.

You think there isn’t a superstar there. To each their own. 

But to think we’re going to draft McLaurin or Gibson every year in the third is interesting and a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.

By that logic let’s load up on 7th rounders. We’ve drafted Curl, Milne, Bradley-King and Toney there. Nothing can go wrong.

• Like 2

I think a trade down to 16 could still net Olave IF only 1 WR goes in the top 10. Assuming the Jets or if they traded for Deebo, the 9ers would go receiver. 

So London goes 10

leaving 

Williams, Olave and Wilson and 5 picks (11-15) leaving one of them for us at 16. 

Saints go Wilson at 11 

Vikings, not in play for WR

Texans, could go WR

Ravens, not likely to go WR

Eagles, maybe in play for WR

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

By that logic let’s load up on 7th rounders. We’ve drafted Curl, Milne, Bradley-King and Toney there. Nothing can go wrong.

Sad thing is if they can't find a decent trading partner early. I am sure they make a few later and we again end out with a few 7th rounders to fill our roster holes like QB, LB, DT, OL, WR/KR...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Sad thing is if they can't find a decent trading partner early. I am sure they make a few later and we again end out with a few 7th rounders to fill our roster holes like QB, LB, DT, OL, WR/KR...

Feel like this happened last year. We wanted to trade back from #19 and accumulate picks and take Davis late 1st or early 2nd ... and we just went with him at #19 and I assume it is because there were no trade-back options.

I just hope there are some compelling offers on the table when #11 rolls around. At the very least, I would think Green Bay or Kansas City is offering us several picks to come up for a WR, and I would expect a couple options to move back a smaller distance for lesser compensation.

Baltimore at 14 seems most likely since they'd want to come up for a DB or an OT and have tons of mid round capital to part with. Then probably Kansas City, followed by Green Bay.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Feel like this happened last year. We wanted to trade back from #19 and accumulate picks and take Davis late 1st or early 2nd ... and we just went with him at #19 and I assume it is because there were no trade-back options.

I just hope there are some compelling offers on the table when #11 rolls around. At the very least, I would think Green Bay or Kansas City is offering us several picks to come up for a WR, and I would expect a couple options to move back a smaller distance for lesser compensation.

Baltimore at 14 seems most likely since they'd want to come up for a DB or an OT and have tons of mid round capital to part with. Then probably Kansas City, followed by Green Bay.

Yeah like last year...didn't we trade our 5th this year for a 6th and 7th last year?

It just isn't the best made plan to build a roster but sure feels like that is what we are heading towards and why I am all for a trade down at 11

If we miss out on Walker, I like Breece Hall in the second round too.  He's not as fast or elusive or balanced as Walker.  But his open field speed is actually way better than you think from watching the way he runs in traffic.  That trait is reflected in that surprisingly great 40 he ran.  He's pacey and he picks his way around in the box and he isn't super fast laterally.  But there is definite wiggle in his repertoire  and when he gets some room he pulls away from defenders.  The Iowa State run game is not that good or creative.  It's always 2 pt stance shotgun runs or direct snaps and the line is not particular quick nor powerful.  They take a lot of Ls right off the snap to decent DLs, and there are a lot of defenders in the backfield early on a lot of these runs.  But Hall copes and consistently creates in the backfield, and he does a lot of it off of ad-libbing and cutting back.  He had better feel than his play caller.  And when he does get a chance to go to work on second level defenders, he usually shines.  Not elite contact balance and elusiveness in this regard like Walker, but good.  And again, his acceleration and top gear are good, so he was a long TD machine at Iowa State.  Unusual for a 6'1 220 running out of that crappy shotgun spread offense.  He'll throw a block too.

But yeah, I really want Walker.  Hall looks like he'll be a very good starter, Walker looks like a future star.  He's the one guy I am certain would be a significant upgrade over Gibby.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I think it's odd neither Gardner or Stingley are visiting.

It makes me think we want one them.

I think it means we are waiting on Bradberry from the Giants being cut.

Slot corner day 3 with Damarri Mathis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Ideally you have 5. We have 3. 

So we'll net 4 of 5 players.

This team has some holes. One of the reasons I advocate for offense is due to us having as few picks as we have. Fix our offense and the defensive holes are lesser.

But I'd rather fill the offense with premiere players than trading back just to plug holes with bandaids.

I think you’re totally over selling this point. Most people would welcome a trade back for additional 2nd/3rd round picks. Even just one. We sacrifice little from #11 for that extra gain day 2. It’s very debatable that we get a superstar at #11. We may I guess. I’m open to staying there. But I think on balance we should move back.

Fixing our offense doesn’t really ‘fix’ the holes on the defensive side either IMO.

Lots of variables. Several months ago I said we should draft WR,RB,QB,TE with our first four picks. I thought we’d sort the D out in FA prior to that. We didn’t.

Hell, maybe we draft all O then bring the Honey Badger in post draft. That would do.

Maybe we shouldn’t look exclusively at the draft as the answer. The subsequent moves will then be a factor in how we’ve addressed the roster issues.

Right now we are well behind the curve for me.

1 hour ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Just because our 3rd = Wentz doesn't mean it's not valuable draft capital. We are really good in the third round. You want to miss out on a guy like Terry or Gibson for a non-superstar at 11?

But do we freak out about other 3rd round picks and scramble to try and get another one? If you think of Wentz as essentially a draft pick then it makes more sense and there's no reason to panic about not having it.

Why are we acting like missing one 3rd round pick is suddenly the apocalypse? There's probably about a 90% chance that whoever we would pick with that selection would become a backup or depth at best.

This losing sleep over one mid round pick thing is so weird.

• Like 2

For all those who think we need to address any defensive needs through the draft keep in mind there are still some prominent defensive players out in free agency plus more will come after the draft. Most of the better available offensive players are gone which is why I think we go mostly offensive in the draft. We went heavy defense the last 2 years and need to infuse some younger offensive players onto the roster. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mistertim said:

But do we freak out about other 3rd round picks and scramble to try and get another one? If you think of Wentz as essentially a draft pick then it makes more sense and there's no reason to panic about not having it.

Why are we acting like missing one 3rd round pick is suddenly the apocalypse? There's probably about a 90% chance that whoever we would pick with that selection would become a backup or depth at best.

Why do you think we were so conservative in FA, preserving the comp pick for scherff? Because off-setting the loss of picks in the Wentz trade is important to the FO.

Having a full assortment of draft picks is important to any successfully built team.

When the talent options at 11 have major flaws, you trade back. Unless it's a home-run can't-miss prospect, you trade back. Because multiple bites at the apple improve your odds at hitting on a player. That's why you want a 3rd rounder back. 70% of the top 20 WRs were taken in the 2nd round or later. I guess those guys aren't valuable because you think we still draft like Cerrato and Allen? I'm sure a higher percentage of RBs we're taken after the 1st.

There isn't a Jamarr Chase this year. There isn't a lockdown corner (that will be at 11), there isn't a Jon Allen. We're not taking a LB at 11, don't care how good you think Lloyd is.

Multiple anonymous GMs have said the top of the draft is weak but it's strong in day 2/3 guys. So if we're smart, you maneuver to the strength of the draft and give yourself more chances to hit on guys to improve your team. It's simple.

Luckily by all accounts trading back seems to be Plan-A unless a crazy drop happens from someone like Sauce or Walker. 

If you don't think mid round picks are important, then why not advocate trading our remaining picks to move up in the draft this year?

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I’m not sure it’s panic, but I don’t know, maybe it is for some.  So maybe I’m not one that should be responding to you, lol.  I do think it’s fair to factor the points below and think adding 1 or 2 more mid-round picks could help.

We have a fair number of needs.

There’s been a lot of talk about the talent in rds 2-5.

Post-draft FA might land us some guys that start/contribute, but it’s hard to count on too much there.

While we filled our biggest need (qb), we 1) haven’t improved in other spots, and 2) we’ve lost some key players (Scherff, Io, Flowers, Collins, Settle).

We’ve had some success in the 3rd recently - Gibson, Terry, Fuller and St Juste/Dyami Brown (maybe you were just going for hyperbole with that “90%” comment?).

Given the crapshoot nature of the draft, having more picks is generally preferable (I’m not missing out on a guy I think is a stud though just for the sake of more picks).

For me though, the only trade down I’m definitely a fan of is if the team has several prospects they really like and they pull off a trade with Houston or Baltimore.  I think it’s a relatively realistic possibility given how many picks those teams have.  I don’t view/buy trading down as something ‘we simply must do’ though, just to be clear.

• Thanks 1