Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/new-cbs-mock-draft-features-multiple-trades-for-the-washington-commanders-2022-nfl-draft/

Another interesting article regarding the draft and our trade down options.  The concept is sound, however if we trade down twice and draft Ridder, I personally will consume a whole bottle of Glenfiddich, and the proceed to sleep for a week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

The Sports Junkies’ Eric Bickel unveiled Thursday that he has a source informing him that the Washington Commanders front office is not high on this upcoming 2022 NFL draft.

Bickel on the morning 106.7 The Fan show said it was explained to him that usually in the first round there are 10-12 players that everyone covets as special and then there is a drop-off. Well, EB said he was told this year, that the Commanders feel there are about two elite players to trade up for in this draft.

“My understanding is they don’t love this draft,” Bickel said. “It makes sense why they went after Carson Wentz. They don’t really want to take a receiver at No. 11 either. What they want to do is trade out. Which makes sense, and if they can’t they will take the best player available.”

“They don’t really think there is great value at receiver at 11 for them. They are hoping someone falls in love with a guy at 11, moves up to get him and they can move down and pick up some other picks.”

Washington has six picks this year (Rd 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 7) 

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2022/04/22/washington-commanders-may-not-be-impressed-with-this-draft-the-junkies-carson-wentz-2022-nfl-draft/

Edited by Est.1974
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

The Sports Junkies’ Eric Bickel unveiled Thursday that he has a source informing him that the Washington Commanders front office is not high on this upcoming 2022 NFL draft.

Bickel on the morning 106.7 The Fan show said it was explained to him that usually in the first round there are 10-12 players that everyone covets as special and then there is a drop-off. Well, EB said he was told this year, that the Commanders feel there are about two elite players to trade up for in this draft.

“My understanding is they don’t love this draft,” Bickel said. “It makes sense why they went after Carson Wentz. They don’t really want to take a receiver at No. 11 either. What they want to do is trade out. Which makes sense, and if they can’t they will take the best player available.”

“They don’t really think there is great value at receiver at 11 for them. They are hoping someone falls in love with a guy at 11, moves up to get him and they can move down and pick up some other picks.”

Washington has six picks this year (Rd 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 7) 

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/2022/04/22/washington-commanders-may-not-be-impressed-with-this-draft-the-junkies-carson-wentz-2022-nfl-draft/

Yep that was posted here yesterday.  Sheehan's producer who is bit negative on the powers running this team took it as this means they dislike all the WRs in this class and how wrong they are about that -- which is not how I took this report.  Sheehan is humoring his producer's point, taking it the same way he did but just saying that he knows for a fact there is one person in that FO who disagrees with the idea that this is a bad WR class.

lol, its a frustrating listen :ols:.  I don't see how that statement means they dislike the WR class.  

I know via a Keim podcast they think Wilson is gone top 10.  Also I know they like Drake London but they might think he's gone too in the top 10.  And Keim hinted Olave might be more in a trade down.   So Olave at 11 indeed IMO isn't good value. 

Keim also suggested that the WR later in the first ala Dotson they don't feel are that much behind.  Hence trading down feels attractive to them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

(Dustin Crum)

He doesn't block us from going QB if we need to next year. He can develop into something solid. 6-3, 205ish.

He's my backup QB target.

This is an opportunity for me express my frustration with this team over an ongoing shortfall. Immediately after the draft we see other teams going after UDFA while we sit back and plan a draft party. I acknowledge that most will never make an NFL roster...but you never know. That's where you pick up guys like Crum, maybe a FB, KR, or some  mid-round ranked guy who fell due to a ?. There are (rare) gems to be found and I always found it frustrating that the rest of the league brings in 6-7 for a test drive while we sign 0-1.

Here's a list of 10 stud starters in the league that were UDFA

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-undrafted-players-entering-2021-nfl-season

Edited by bowhunter
  • Like 5

Digging a little deeper in Trey McBride.   47 might be a little rich.  But if they add a third rounder and he's there, he's on the table for me.    I watched a little of him before but dove in more after reading some scouts rave and then watching an interview on Path to the Draft were he came off impressive.  I think he gets a bit lost in the sauce with the sweeping generalization about the TE class and also he went to a school that's typically off the map.

Reminds me a little big of Cooley in some ways and in some ways not.

He's a fun watch as a run blocker.  People mover. Though sometimes he loses his balance when blocking, he needs to work on that. 

He isn't that hot at seperating but does enough.  He has explosion with the ball in his hands. WR.  He's one of the only TE's in the class with speed in the 4.5s. 

In line Y TE most of the time.  They do motion him in the backfield from time to time.  And sometimes line him up in the slot.   He had a bad QB.

1125 yards with a sick 3% drop rate last year.

He's not killer IMO but really well rounded.  I can see him be a good Pro. 

23 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Were on the clock on GMFB live mock of picks 9-16>

who did they take, my TV froze, for Petes sake.

I had it on, Drake London. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

Greg Dulcich also to me in play if they get a 3rd round pick.  He's more IMO of an F type TE (slot-wide) versus McBride being a Y (in-line)

Dulcich with IMO a really good catch radius.  17 plus YPA, makes big plays down the field.  Up the seam.  Seems tailored made to Wentz on that front.

Don't love him as a blocker but he's OK at it IMO.   McBride the better blocker IMO.   Dulcich the better seperator. 

Really feisty with the ball in his hands.   My favorite YAC guy among these TEs albeit he has that gawky way of running that a lot of tall long legged athletes have

I like Kolar and Woods a lot as I've mentioned many times.  But I'd go with McBride and Dulcich over them if I had a choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Standig just on Sheehan

Bet on Drake London will be there at 11.  Seemed to echo Keim about guessing London or Hamilton at 11 will be their top considerations and like Keim guessed they'd go Hamilton.

He's sticking to a point he makes a lot which is that they want to help Wentz but he doesn't think they are fixated on WR to do that. 

Talked about RB on the table in the draft.  Was asked from Sheehan whether they'd take a RB at 47, he thought maybe, especially if Walker is still there.

I was only half listening to this part but if I heard him right, Qb possible later in the draft but that they aren't smitten with the late round types in this draft.  He mentioned as I've speculated the problem with taking Strong in the 4th is that could be a valuable pick to address something else.  

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

McBride is the only real difference maker at TE. Kolar is... okay.

McBride is my favorite in this class.  He's pretty good.  I am not blown away but i like him.  I am a sucker for an old school, Y-TE, who can also catch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think there’s a shot in hell DT2 is on the board at 47. But I don’t think many teams use pure BPA in their selections, either. There is almost always an element of weighted need.

Let’s say Walker/Winfrey are both available at 47. Who is the BPA there? I think they’re both ultra talented players. I’d go so far to say Hall/Winfrey on the board is an intriguing question. 

For me, Walker would be BPA over Winfrey no question.  I like Winfrey, but I love Walker.  Hall would be a much tougher call.  They'd be in a similar tier I think.  And if I weight position, I'm definitely going to weight the OL or DL over the RB (unless I've already taken the position earlier in the same class).  So let's say we take WR or DB in the first and it's between Hall and Winfrey in the second, then I might lean Winfrey.  But if for some reason we went DL in the first then that would make me lean towards Hall in that scenario for sure.  I don't love getting too young at a position group all at once, I want to stagger my contracts/experience better.

There are some other RB vs lineman scenarios that would be really tough for me to figure out.  Particularly in the fourth round.  One would be Zeus White vs some of the OLs we had in for visits like Burford or Rasheed Walker.  I see more upside with the linemen, but I see an immediate rotation power back and a potential locker room leader in White.  Someone who can  grap a role as a rookie and contribute immediately vs a guy who goes into the pipeline and may or may not play at all for me within his first two years--if ever.  On the other hand, if your OL pipeline ever fails, then you're screwed.

Tough calls, but I know for sure I would value Walker over Winfrey.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I think its safe to say right now the pick will be Hamilton or London if we stay at 11. I dont think Wilson falls past the Falcons at 8.

What I want to happen and what I think will diverge a bit.

I want Drake London or Garrett Wilson. Lloyd as a follow up but I think the NYG are taking him at 7. 

I think we're going to take Kyle Hamilton.

• Like 1

Just listened to Logan Paulsen on the Keim Podcast and Keim kept talking about Scott Turner wanting size. Said if they pass on London & Olave in the 1st who do you like and the two names he mentioned were Christian Watson and Alec Pierce.

Brisker and Dax Hill came up again if we don't go Hamilton in the 1st or trade back.

TE he mentioned Dulcich, Jelani Woods and Cade Otton as potential targets

Logan works for the team. Let's hope he's right!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

This is an opportunity for me express my frustration with this team over an ongoing shortfall. Immediately after the draft we see other teams going after UDFA while we sit back and plan a draft party. I acknowledge that most will never make an NFL roster...but you never know. That's where you pick up guys like Crum, maybe a FB, KR, or some  mid-round ranked guy who fell due to a ?. There are (rare) gems to be found and I always found it frustrating that the rest of the league brings in 6-7 for a test drive while we sign 0-1.

Here's a list of 10 stud starters in the league that were UDFA

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-undrafted-players-entering-2021-nfl-season

James Robinson is a good example of those gems. How he went undrafted remains a mystery to me. Some guys just need a shot and get lucky enough to land in the right situation. 

6 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Just listened to Logan Paulsen on the Keim Podcast and Keim kept talking about Scott Turner wanting size. Said if they pass on London & Olave in the 1st who do you like and the two names he mentioned were Christian Watson and Alec Pierce.

Brisker and Dax Hill came up again if we don't go Hamilton in the 1st or trade back.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll listen

Otton ironically reminds me of Bates some.  Just started watching him.  Woods would be a big target, a player I've plugged a lot but not so much recently.   IMO Woods has a ton of potential but is a bit raw, too bad our TE coach retired because I'd trust him big time to mold a talent like him.  Dulcich I've hit up before ironically I just mentioned him again as a good fit for Wentz.

Alec Pierce is one of my favs for a long time.  I know you like him too.  I was actually into Watson awhile back.  Studying his stats-drop rates turned me off a little.  But I was wanting to revist him because I watched him the other day on GMF and he was a great interview, came off smart, articulate, and I saw somewhere he had an off the charts Wonderlic.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:22 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

So you’ve got some insightful comments on there.

Clearly the Ohio Receivers. Then the Georgia front ‘8’ going to the combine. Then also on the TE group, having TE#1 as the all rounder, TE#2 pass catchers and the TE#3 the blocker. At TE do we see a Thomas as #2 and Bates #3 ??

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I missed initially that you said it was Logan who said it.  Yeah I don't think he's that plugged in even though he works for the team as for what the FO is thinking.  if Keim said it I'd take it more seriously from the perspective of what the team is thinking.  But as an evaluator, I mostly like Logan's takes, sans his RB takes on 980 which I thought were awful, maybe he changed his takes for that podcast.

I'll listen to it.  The one thing about Keim is when he drops a players name especially if he does it multiple times, its usually for a reason even if he doesn't say initially they like him.  He did that with Dotson and London, just throwing their names out there in a narrative, then later in future podcasts said they like those players.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll listen

Otton ironically reminds me of Bates some.  Just started watching him.  Woods would be a big target, a player I've plugged a lot but not so much recently.   IMO Woods has a ton of potential but is a bit raw, too bad our TE coach retired because I'd trust him big time to mold a talent like him.  Dulcich I've hit up before ironically I just mentioned him again as a good fit for Wentz.

Alec Pierce is one of my favs for a long time.  I know you like him too.  I was actually into Watson awhile back.  Studying his stats-drop rates turned me off a little.  But I was wanting to revist him because I watched him the other day on GMF and he was a great interview, came off smart, articulate, and I saw somewhere he had an off the charts Wonderlic.

Yeah I like Watsons whole package and think he can fix the drops.

What is most exciting about a WR duo of Terry and Watson is it has the potential of being the best tandem in the league. Pierce too.

Olave is just a lesser version of what we already have. We need size WITH speed.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I missed initially that you said it was Logan who said it.  Yeah I don't think he's that plugged in even though he works for the team as for what the FO is thinking.  if Keim said it I'd take it more seriously from the perspective of what the team is thinking.  But as an evaluator, I mostly like Logan's takes, sans his RB takes which I thought were awful. 

I'll listen to it.  The one thing about Keim is when he drops a players name especially if he does it multiple times, its usually for a reason even if he doesn't say initially they like him.  He did that with Dotson and London, just throwing their names out there in a narrative, then later in future podcasts said they like those players.

Keim is the one who started the convos about specific players. Or at least most of them 

Just now, Forever A Redskin said:

Yeah I like Watsons whole package and think he can fix the drops.

What is most exciting about a WR duo of Terry and Watson is it has the potential of being the best tandem in the league. Pierce too.

Olave is just a lesser version of what we already have. We need size WITH speed.

Watson's size-speed are freakish.  I got to go back and watch him but from what I recall he and Tolbert both reminded me of each other in that they were vertical threats.   And were man among boys going against lesser competiton. Watson being the bigger size to speed freak over Tolbert.  But in that Metcalf brand of being vertical threats as outside receivers.

But I got to rewatch its been a long time for me on Watson. 

19 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I think Brisker is going to be a stud. Matt Bowen sung his praises too.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watson's size-speed are freakish.  I got to go back and watch him but from what I recall he and Tolbert both reminded me of each other in that they were vertical threats.   And were man among boys going against lesser competiton. Watson being the bigger size to speed freak over Tolbert.  But in that Metcalf brand of being vertical threats as outside receivers.

Watson is among the highest ceiling and lowest floor prospects in this draft. I think the dude can crash and burn badly. Like... real bad. Or become the best receiver in the draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'm a big fan of Tolbert as well.

My Rankings are:

1. Watson
2. Pierce
3. Kevin Austin
4. Jalen Tolbert
5. Tyquan Thornton

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Watson is among the highest ceiling and lowest floor prospects in this draft. I think the dude can crash and burn badly. Like... real bad. Or become the best receiver in the draft.

I think his floor isn't as low as some think. What's your reasoning why? Lesser competition? I think he stepped up to the plate when faced with NFL talent at the senior bowl.

7 hours ago, mistertim said:

Sure, we can come out ahead by going the trade down route. Just like we can come out ahead by taking a guy we value at 11. If we pass up on a guy we like at 11 and then get a mediocre player with the later pick and a nobody with the added 3rd rounder and the guy we would have taken at 11 becomes an All Pro then we'd definitely not come out on top in that deal.

And I'm not passionate about sticking at 11. I'm passionate about not trading down just for the sake of trading down. If there isn't a guy at 11 who we really like and have a high grade on then absolutely see if we can trade down. But if we really like the guy at 11 and think he'll be a difference maker then we should take him and not try to get cute.

I also find it odd that people keep talking about how this isn't a top heavy draft and it's great for depth. If that's the case then why would teams be tripping over themselves to trade up with us? Wouldn't they also try to trade down if it's such a deep draft?

There's almost no reason for Houston or Baltimore to give up draft capital to move up one or two spots unless there's a guy who falls to us that they're absolutely positive will be snatched up before getting one or two more picks to them. That whole thing is a pipe dream IMO.

First of all, I meant to say some “believe we can come out ahead” by trading down - so you’re absolutely right of course.

As to why one of those teams might trade up?  Well, I hate to state the obvious, but… for one, yes many are saying the draft is deep rather than top-heavy, but obviously that’s not the same as saying there are no players worth trading up for.  Secondly, both of those teams have a plethora of picks.  They could trade one or two and still have a large draft class (not to mention they could potentially trade down with later picks).  And third, it’s all about whether there’s a guy they really want of course.  If we have 3 or 4 guys we’d be happy with and they see just one, well maybe it’s worth it for both parties.

Are the chances low such a trade happens?  Of course.  But several teams have the ammo to move up, and we’re in a pretty good spot if they choose to.  Trades have become relatively common recently, even for non-qbs IIRC.  I certainly wouldn’t bet on it, but “pipe dream?”  That’s probably exaggerating.  Frankly, my number one guess as to why we don’t get trade offers is the fact the Vikings are reported to want to move down.  And number two is that our FO is afraid of missing out on a player (as you’ve talked about).  We’ll soon see!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I'm a big fan of Tolbert as well.

My Rankings are:

1. Watson
2. Pierce
3. Kevin Austin
4. Jalen Tolbert
5. Tyquan Thornton

I think his floor isn't as low as some think. What's your reasoning why? Lesser competition? I think he stepped up to the plate when faced with NFL talent at the senior bowl.

I don't think he looked good at the senior bowl.

I think he was a two trick pony, sweeps and vertical bombs, against far lesser competition. I don't think his speed will look quite as dazzling in the pros as it looked against D1AA talent. 

But he will still be fast. SO if he cleans up his route running and adds more routes to his repertoire he has the size and speed to make some waves.

And then you add in the drops. Some say he's improved that, I'm not sold on it at this point.

He is the highest ceiling prospect if he can put all of that together. But most don't when there is that much to tie together.