Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

2 hours ago, sebestian said:

@KDawgYour analysis is mind blowing.   we should talk around fantasy football season. LOL

https://heavy.com/sports/tampa-bay-buccaneers/nfl-draft-rumors-washington-commanders-trade/

Interesting trade rumor, coming from the Tampa angle of course.  Once T-mac and Payne resign, I think sweat is odd man out.  Sell high?He still has the 2020 season on peoples minds with a decent contract situation.  

I’m surprised this didn’t get more of a response.  There are some DE prospects past the top 4/5 that are nice.  The 27th pick could give you flexibility to move for more picks if a team wants to move back into the first to get a fifth year on their guy.  

I’m hoping for a Sweat comeback.  Watching him lose his brother last year was rough.  But paying all four Dlineman is not going away.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think he looked good at the senior bowl.

I think he was a two trick pony, sweeps and vertical bombs, against far lesser competition. I don't think his speed will look quite as dazzling in the pros as it looked against D1AA talent. 

But he will still be fast. SO if he cleans up his route running and adds more routes to his repertoire he has the size and speed to make some waves.

And then you add in the drops. Some say he's improved that, I'm not sold on it at this point.

He is the highest ceiling prospect if he can put all of that together. But most don't when there is that much to tie together. 

I think you're faulting him for the offense they ran at NDSU with all the jet sweeps and stuff. They were run first to set up deep bomb type offense. It's also why his route tree isn't that developed.

Interesting you feel he had a bad senior bowl. By most that attended he was head and shoulders the best receiver there. 

If I could pick out one thing he didn't look great on was getting off of press-man. Definitely something for him to work on.

I think he's worth a shot, especially if we doubled up with a slot type WR to pair with him like Calvin Austin, Khalil Shakir, etc.

Players with his potential don't come around often, and taking a safe/low floor slot guy to pair with him softens the risk.

3 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I think you're faulting him for the offense they ran at NDSU with all the jet sweeps and stuff. They were run first to set up deep bomb type offense. It's also why his route tree isn't that developed.

Interesting you feel he had a bad senior bowl. By most that attended he was head and shoulders the best receiver there. 

If I could pick out one thing he didn't look great on was getting off of press-man. Definitely something for him to work on.

I think he's worth a shot, especially if we doubled up with a slot type WR to pair with him like Calvin Austin, Khalil Shakir, etc.

Players with his potential don't come around often, and taking a safe/low floor slot guy to pair with him softens the risk.

Well, I didn't attend it. So I can only go by what I see. I don't base my takes on other people's opinions *shrug*

I'm not faulting him for anything, by the way. It's what I am able to evaluate from my couch. I saw what I saw when I watched his tape.

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well, I didn't attend it. So I can only go by what I see. I don't base my takes on other people's opinions *shrug*

I'm not faulting him for anything, by the way. It's what I am able to evaluate from my couch. I saw what I saw when I watched his tape.

Yeah like I said from the practices I watched he looked good, just struggled against press man a little. But I do pair what I see with consensus reports by pro scouts to confirm what I see.

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Yeah like I said from the practices I watched he looked good, just struggled against press man a little. But I do pair what I see with consensus reports by pro scouts to confirm what I see.

I don't. I know a few pro scouts. They aren't always right.

I create my takes and stick with them. I'll discuss things with others, go back and watch the film based on what they say. But I don't use them as a baseline. 

Many scouts will see it your way. Many will see it mine. That's the nature of the beast. 

What are your desired outcomes from the draft amongst the following scenarios at the top of the draft:

Scenario 1:

Hamilton at 11

Metchie/Pierce/Austin at 47

Scenario 2:

London at 11

Petrie/Brisker/Elam (i.e. DB) at 47

Scenario 3:

Olave via trade down where we pick up a latish 3rd

RB with the latish 3rd

Scenario 4:

Major trade down to KC for 28+29+late 4th rounder

28:  Cine/Hill (perhaps one falls)

29:  Walker

47:  Matchie/Pierce/Austin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

What are your desired outcomes from the draft amongst the following scenarios at the top of the draft:

Scenario 1:

Hamilton at 11

Scenario 2:

London at 11

Scenario 3:

RB with the latish 3rd

Scenario 4:

4, 1, 3 in that order.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I read Ron has been to 4 pro days since he's been a head coach including his time at Carolina and 2 of those times were to see Cam Newton and Christian McCaffrey.  He was at the Cincinnati's pro day to see Gardner and didn't invite him for a visit.  It may seem like he's excluding him from being an option or it could be a nice smokescreen

I think that you may be reading too much into his visit to Cincinnati.  IIRC, he was already in Columbus, Ohio for the Ohio State pro day the day before - and there are several Cincinnati players worth taking a look at.  Besides, the odds of Sauce being there at 11 aren't very high.  Yeah, I'd love for Sauce to be our guy, but I just don't see it happening..

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Scenario 1:

Hamilton at 11

Scenario 2:

London at 11

Scenario 3:

RB with the latish 3rd

Scenario 4:

I always want a trade down as my first option, but if we stay at 11 and 47.....Hamilton and Pierce are the picks for me.

15 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Speaking of the Senior Bowl, I'm reminded of another WR that always seemed to catch my eye and that would be Ole Miss WR Braylon Sanders. He's probably been mentioned already but he could be a nice bargain pickup IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I think that you may be reading too much into his visit to Cincinnati.  IIRC, he was already in Columbus, Ohio for the Ohio State pro day the day before - and there are several Cincinnati players worth taking a look at.  Besides, the odds of Sauce being there at 11 aren't very high.  Yeah, I'd love for Sauce to be our guy, but I just don't see it happening..

I think the Cincy visit was moreso for Pierce, Beavers, and MyJai Sanders. 

I think we really like the Cincy players (took one last year). I think Ron trusts the program to produce solid pros just like OSU and Bama. They're well coached.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I like #4 the best, but I'd be happy with all four of them.

What about Andrew Booth as one of the DB options in the late trade down or in the second?  He's pretty clearly a zone corner, which means I don't think he's going to go nearly as early as he's being projected to.  But he could also be a solid fit for our defense as a result.  Anyone else interested in him as an option in the second?

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Scenario 2:

London at 11

Scenario 3:

RB with the latish 3rd

To me, Elam's a first round talent and vastly underrated. Either of these scenarios I'd like.

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Watson is among the highest ceiling and lowest floor prospects in this draft. I think the dude can crash and burn badly. Like... real bad. Or become the best receiver in the draft.

I was hot for Watson, then I was off.  I want to revist though watching him for reasons I expressed. 

I've said before if I saw Doctson's personality up close, it would have screamed red flag to me.  I watched one practice of him and could see the lack of oomph in how he went about it.  I saw him a couple of times in the team's hotel, and he came off in that little sample as an aloof-withdrawn type of personality.

My point is these guys intangibles I think can tip the balance in the boom-bust scale.  38 on the Wonderlic.  Compare that for example with Burks who got an 11.  So I assume he's a smart guy.  And I watched an interview of his this week, came off super likeable, smart and articulate.   That doesn't mean he will succeed but everything being equal I'd bet on the higher intangible players to succeed.

As a player, he is intriguing, raw, didn't have much of a route tree.  Vertical threat and comebacks that play off of that.  Sometimes backfield action.  I'd say he does look as fast as he ran when he plays.  He goes from first to 2nd gear really fast.    He's not to me though Jameson Williams who is more of a threat underneath and can track IMO the deep ball better. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Going Commando said:

I like #4 the best, but I'd be happy with all four of them.

What about Andrew Booth as one of the DB options in the late trade down or in the second?  He's pretty clearly a zone corner, which means I don't think he's going to go nearly as early as he's being projected to.  But he could also be a solid fit for our defense as a result.  Anyone else interested in him as an option in the second?

Forgot about Booth.  You're right.  Maybe Mcreary is there as well.  Tony Pauline LOVES him.  Says watch the Bama game where he takes out Williams/Metchie.  Doesn't care about the sub-optimal measurables.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was hot for Watson, then I was off.  I want to revist though watching him for reasons I expressed. 

I've said many times if I saw Doctson's personlaity up close, it would have screamed red flag to me.  I watched one practice of him and could see the lack of oomp in how he went about it.  I saw him a couple of times in the team's hotel, and he came off in that little sample as an aloof-withdrawn type of personality.

My point is these guys intangibles I think can tip the balance in the boom-bust scale.  38 on the Wonderlic.  Compare that for example with Burks who got an 11.  So I assume he's a smart guy.  And I watched an interview of his this week, came off super likeable, smart and articulate.   That doesn't mean he will succeed but everything being equal I'd bet on the higher intangible players to succeed.

As a player, he in intriguing, raw, didn't have much of a route tree.  Vertical threat and comebacks that play off of that.  Sometimes backfield action.  I'd say he does look as fast as he ran when he plays.  He goes from first to 2nd gear really fast.    He's not to me though Jameson Williams who is more of a threat underneath and can track IMO the deep ball better. 

I'm not saying he's not as fast as he was. I'm saying that because of who he was up against he looked even faster.

He is legitimately fast. That can't be argued and nor will I even pretend to take that argument up.

But he looked even faster due to his competition. 

Fast is fast, but it's not 20 yards of separation in the NFL.

Just now, KDawg said:

I'm not saying he's not as fast as he was. I'm saying that because of who he was up against he looked even faster.

He is legitimately fast. That can't be argued and nor will I even pretend to take that argument up.

But he looked even faster due to his competition. 

Fast is fast, but it's not 20 yards of separation in the NFL.

My comments about his speed has nothing to do with your comments, I am just purely free associating with my own thoughts.  I just did a fast rewatch of him and when I was watching it registers with me is this dude can really motor.  I am much deeper in my WR watching than where I was when I watched Watson the first time.  And with so many other receivers in my head, watching Watson, his speed jumped out to me even more this time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I definitely could be, just making some observations and knowing these coaches I don't expect them to paint us a picture on who they want.

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Forgot about Booth.  You're right.  Maybe Mcreary is there as well.  Tony Pauline LOVES him.  Says watch the Bama game where he takes out Williams/Metchie.  Doesn't care about the sub-optimal measurables.

Also be sure to check out Tariq Castro-Fields out of Penn State.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

My comments about his speed has nothing to do with your comments, I am just purely free associating with my own thoughts.  I just did a fast rewatch of him and when I was watching it registers with me is this dude can really motor.  I am much deeper in my WR watching than where I was when I watched Watson the first time.  And with so many other receivers in my head, watching Watson, his speed jumped out to me even more this time. 

I agree he's an absolute burner. I have him ranked 10th on my list because of the risk. But his upside is WR1. I'm just not sure I'd want to risk the upside thing.

But if enough prospects are removed I could be swayed. 

18 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Scenario 1:

Hamilton at 11

Scenario 2:

London at 11

Scenario 3:

RB with the latish 3rd

Scenario 4:

3. Then 1 or 2. Not a big fan of trading all the way down to 28.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree he's an absolute burner. I have him ranked 10th on my list because of the risk. But his upside is WR1. I'm just not sure I'd want to risk the upside thing.

Where is Pierce, Tolbert, Kevin Austin and Tyquan Thronton on your rankings?

If you had to rank outside receivers, not slot guys. Who ya got?

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Not sure I am swayed yet but he's on my rewatch list.  Part of my intrigue for Terry McLaurin before we drafted him was his intangibles-smarts.  Ditto Pittman who I recall we both liked.   

So Watson jumping out on that front to me late in the game has made me want to rewatch some more. 

10 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Where is Pierce, Tolbert, Kevin Austin and Tyquan Thronton on your rankings?

If you had to rank outside receivers, not slot guys. Who ya got?

image.png.4d0c1a6a8452bb73a0889d6eba8f1b78.png

Tolbert is 12

Pierce is 14

Austin is probably 16ish

Burks is probably moving back soon. I don't know what's up with him though so I'm not sure what to do with him either way. 

So big receiver rankings:

1) Drake London

2) Tyquan Thornton

3) Treylon Burks (likely changes soon)

4) Christian Watson

5) Tolbert

6)  Pierce

7) Austin

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not sure I am swayed yet but he's on my rewatch list.  Part of my intrigue for Terry McLaurin before we drafted him was his intangibles-smarts.  Ditto Pittman who I recall we both liked.   

So Watson jumping out on that front to me late in the game has made me want to rewatch some more. 

Drake London kind of reminds me of Pittman. Same school, roughly the same side. Pittman ran in the low 4.5s and London didn't run (in case anyone here was unaware). Both with a ton of contested catch ability and catch radius.

I went back and watched Pittman and I liked him but man, watching him again I definitely undervalued him. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3