Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

7 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Starting to hope both Drake London, Olave and Hamilton are all off the board and the QBs are all available to further promote a trade back.

They said it's gonna be a terrible year for mock drafts... So let's hope it falls our way and someone trades a bounty of picks to us

I don’t want good players off the board…

I’d like to take one. And I think those guys being on the board actually help your plan of a trade back. I don’t think the QBs do. 

For the crew wanting a trade back you’re going to want 1-2 receivers, a corner, an OT and Hamilton or Lloyd on the board. 

You’d hope Thibs is around as well. I think with that on the board you may get trade up interest. But from who? Maybe Baltimore. But I think receiver is on their wish list. And if not and they want a corner I wouldn’t be surprised to see them target McCreary instead of Stingley. I think we’d field offers from the mid 20s. 

We’ll see. I’m not against more picks as long as we still get our guy. I just don’t see a favorable scenario. 

• Like 4

i'm liking Drake London.  the more i watch his tape, the more i'm starting to like him.  that boy plays like a beast.  when he runs, he's like deebo Samuels/DK Metcalf, only taller.  he might not be fast and i'm hearing the knock on him is separation but to me, he's a 50/50 guy that can win due to his basketball background.  i see a few saying lb/safety/cb but today's NFL favors the offense and i think this is the year to get a really good WR and not trade back and settle for another Gandy Golden/Dyami Brown type player.  get that playmaker now for the offense!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont have any data to support it. But I would bet the numbers are pretty similar for most positions in all honesty. Its not like Pro Bowlers are a common theme out of the first two rounds. 

Probably so but the point I took to that tweet is that there is this narrative by some that Wr is a unique spot where you can find that dude later in the draft.  And the point in that tweet is there is a limit to how late.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Every year, without exception, everybody wants to trade down and stockpile 2nd and 3rd round picks hoping to draft/steal any of the 300 players with 1st round grades.

I don’t even know why the NFL has 7 rounds. Every team should just get 6 2nd round picks each.

Yep exactly. Go back and look at most drafts, the vast majority of guys taken in those middle rounds don't last more than a couple years. 

Quality always beats quantity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My favorite FS and can play CB in the draft.  Hands down.  IF we traded down in the low 20s and selected him first, I'd be thrilled.

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Yes I know you wouldn’t get that much just for 11 that’s why I included the swap of 2nd round picks. So KC would be getting 11 and 47 from us 

I missed it.  I've missed a couple of post that ESers have put out here and misread them.  Sorry MS008, my apologies.  :)  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I think it means we are waiting on Bradberry from the Giants being cut.

Slot corner day 3 with Damarri Mathis.

Do we know the Giants are cutting him or is their GM trying to trade him and even if they do cut him he's going to be 29 next year and will want to get paid well.

I read Ron has been to 4 pro days since he's been a head coach including his time at Carolina and 2 of those times were to see Cam Newton and Christian McCaffrey.  He was at the Cincinnati's pro day to see Gardner and didn't invite him for a visit.  It may seem like he's excluding him from being an option or it could be a nice smokescreen.

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I missed it.  I've missed a couple of post that ESers have put out here and misread them.  Sorry MS008, my apologies.  :)  

Haha no biggie no need to apologize no skin off my back. Just didn’t want everyone to think I was totally crazy 🤣

We can post analytics all day. There are many contradictory ones we can use.

Receivers are among the most expensive position and with McLaurin (hopefully) getting paid we will want one on a 5 year rookie deal. 

Receivers and offense can help smooth out defensive issues because they can actually score points. So a mistake by the D isn’t a game ender.

We have zero first rounders starting on offense for us that we drafted. We have 5 defensive first rounders. 

A receiver can change the entire dynamic of the offense and make McLaurin and Samuel more effective. And give Brown a niche to get comfortable in to aid in his development. 

The fun part is there are counter arguments to everything I just said, too.

Ultimately my stance is we need the best football player we can get our hands on that can help this team advance forward.

Can we do that trading back? Maybe. Maybe not. Can we do that at 11? Yes. Is either strategy a guaranteed hit? Nope. Do odds decrease in finding a star later in the draft? Yup. Do they disappear? Nope.

I’m not going to say I trust this regime because… well… I don’t. But at the same time I do. It’s hard to explain. This is a regime who will trade future picks for a long snapper. It’s also one who reached on Jamin (probably after they failed to find a trade partner).

But I don’t think they are incompetent talent evaluators.

As evaluators I think I trust them. As strategists? Not as much.

So let’s see what happens.  

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We can post analytics all day. There are many contradictory ones we can use.

Receivers are among the most expensive position and with McLaurin (hopefully) getting paid we will want one on a 5 year rookie deal. 

Receivers and offense can help smooth out defensive issues because they can actually score points. So a mistake by the D isn’t a game ender.

We have zero first rounders starting on offense for us that we drafted. We have 5 defensive first rounders. 

A receiver can change the entire dynamic of the offense and make McLaurin and Samuel more effective. And give Brown a niche to get comfortable in to aid in his development. 

The fun part is there are counter arguments to everything I just said, too.

Ultimately my stance is we need the best football player we can get our hands on that can help this team advance forward.

Can we do that trading back? Maybe. Maybe not. Can we do that at 11? Yes. Is either strategy a guaranteed hit? Nope. Do odds decrease in finding a star later in the draft? Yup. Do they disappear? Nope.

I’m not going to say I trust this regime because… well… I don’t. But at the same time I do. It’s hard to explain. This is a regime who will trade future picks for a long snapper. It’s also one who reached on Jamin (probably after they failed to find a trade partner).

But I don’t think they are incompetent talent evaluators.

I agree. I think the plan was to trade back and Jamin was to be a target later but we had no suitors for the trade.

I think having a higher pick this year increases our chances of finding a trade partner. I doubt we get unlucky twice on finding a team.

However what troubles me about the scenario of not trading down in the 1st is that it likely means we will trade down from 47 which I hate way more than trading down in the 1st.

There's a high probability great players that unexpectedly fell will be there at 47. Guys like JOK last year for an example (first one that popped in my head).... But trading down further than 47 likely takes us out of the running of either Walker or Hall at RB. 

We can get a complimentary back later on, but Walker and Hall can be legit RB1s themselves.

On a different topic. Can anyone shed some in-depth light on Justin Ross and Wydermeyer's situations? What's the reasoning for the poor performances?

They both could be sneaky steals if the reasons behind their poor testing are explainable.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Drafting WR is always a crap shoot, one of the toughest positions to hit on.

image.thumb.png.f4a075a1cdb7f43832f695b4f93dac79.png

Yes wide receiver is maybe the toughest position to hit on. It used to be that a guy wouldn’t blossom till his 3rd year and most teams didn’t have the patience to wait it out. However I think the hit ratio, especially among the first round, is better now as most of these guys come in ready to contribute right away. Sure you can hit in the second or later just like any other position.

It is a passing league now more than ever and you need skilled players to impact the game. Terry is obviously one, maybe Samuels becomes one this year, Dyami is an unknown, and the rest are just complimentary players. Where’s our Kupp, Adams, Hopkins, or Chase? We need a guy like this to add to our offense period! With our current skilled players we are just an average team offensively. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

This is kinda how I see it as well. I think they're fine as talent evaluators. Average to above average.

But I don't think of them as particularly crafty or clever. People keep bringing up "smokescreens" but its just not something I think this regime does well. 

26 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I agree. I think the plan was to trade back and Jamin was to be a target later but we had no suitors for the trade.

I think having a higher pick this year increases our chances of finding a trade partner. I doubt we get unlucky twice on finding a team.

However what troubles me about the scenario of not trading down in the 1st is that it likely means we will trade down from 47 which I hate way more than trading down in the 1st.

There's a high probability great players that unexpectedly fell will be there at 47. Guys like JOK last year for an example (first one that popped in my head).... But trading down further than 47 likely takes us out of the running of either Walker or Hall at RB. 

We can get a complimentary back later on, but Walker and Hall can be legit RB1s themselves.

On a different topic. Can anyone shed some in-depth light on Justin Ross and Wydermeyer's situations? What's the reasoning for the poor performances?

They both could be sneaky steals if the reasons behind their poor testing are explainable.

If either of those two running backs are available, you grab him.  I don’t expect either one to be available at 47.  But if someone on your board 25-35 falls, you’re happy you’re coming away with targets and you roll the dice with the other four picks hoping for quality depth and ST contributors.

After some thought, if we trade down bypassing WR entirely in the 1st round I really like the idea of double dipping at WR, selecting one of each of an outside receiver and a slot receiver type.

Pairing a Khalil Shakir or Calvin Austin with one of:

1. Watson
2. Pierce
3. Kevin Austin
4. Jalen Tolbert
5. Tyquan Thornton

In that order of ranking. I took Pickens off my board completely.

If we draft Olave I guess I'm fine with him being the only receiver drafted as long as it's after a trade back. He's not big enough for me/Wentz but should be a solid pro.

Watsons drops are concerning but the ceiling is worth it IMO. Alec Pierce is a safer pick and I'm really convinced he's can't-miss.

Edited by Forever A Redskin

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This is kinda how I see it as well. I think they're fine as talent evaluators. Average to above average.

But I don't think of them as particularly crafty or clever. People keep bringing up "smokescreens" but its just not something I think this regime does well. 

You only have a 1 year sample size, in his first draft everyone knew we were taking Chase.

13 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

What's exciting about Kevin Austin is his potential. Young guy and only started really putting it together last season

If he played for another year at ND I think he'd be a lock for a 1st rounder.

Thoughts on Kyle Philips from UCLA.  Would be a great slot WR.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I Hated Jamin as a first rounder last year. Anyone can go back and see my comments about it. I didnt hate him as a player per say. But he was not a first rounder IMO. 

Yeah I kinda knew he was gonna take some time to develop. I still have high hopes for both him and Dyami Brown.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

After some thought, if we trade down bypassing WR entirely in the 1st round I really like the idea of double dipping at WR, selecting one of each of an outside receiver and a slot receiver type.

Pairing a Khalil Shakir or Calvin Austin with one of:

1. Watson
2. Pierce
3. Kevin Austin
4. Jalen Tolbert
5. Tyquan Thornton

In that order of ranking. I took Pickens off my board completely.

If we draft Olave I guess I'm fine with him being the only receiver drafted as long as it's after a trade back. He's not big enough for me/Wentz but should be a solid pro.

Watsons drops are concerning but the ceiling is worth it IMO. Alec Pierce is a safer pick and I'm really convinced he's can't-miss.

I would take Pierce with our second rounder all day long. If he is even there. Most underrated player in this draft. And if we pass on WR in round one. I hope he is there at 47.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Thoughts on Kyle Philips from UCLA.  Would be a great slot WR.  

I like him as a later round developmental. Don't think he could produce day 1 like I think Shakir and Calvin Austin could but he has the tools.

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would take Pierce with our second rounder all day long. If he is even there. Most underrated player in this draft. And if we pass on WR in round one. I hope he is there at 47.

Sign me ALL the way up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1