Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Walker is going top 2 either to Jacksonville or Detroit so its kind of a moot point.

Completely agree. He isn't falling to #11, just think it's telling that we brought him for a Top 30 visit. We must be doing our due-diligence in case he falls. Even if it's just to smokescreen other teams into thinking we take him, so they trade up?

I like EB, but he strikes me as a guy that they'd intentionally leak false info to in order to throw up a smokescreen since he's so eager to spread a rumor.  I mean, that's a lot of Spy vs. Spy hypothetical **** right there but I can see that.

Picking at 11 is tricky.  There are guys who are probably surefire top 5 picks.  When you're at 11, I feel like you're sitting in a spot where someone's falling and you might not know why.  And then you're wondering if you can gamble, perhaps trade back and pick a player you could take at 11 right then and there.  

IMO, I'm a fan of trading down and hoarding picks as best as you can unless you're somewhere in the top 5 and there's a player you can't live without.  I hope that's what they end up doing.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Full disclosure, Pickens and Burks would probably be ahead of Thornton if I wasn't worried about character issues/WHY Burks was out of shape. If I knew/understood those things the list would shift. 

Totally understood....and you did have a note on them

@KDawg really going to town on some of my which i thought at the time I touted them more off the radar in terms of hype loves at WR and TE and RB.  Thorton, Gray, C. Austin, Kolar, Haskins, Z. White.  So of course I'll embrace those.   All of whom I'll put in my list of my guys if we do that list before the draft like we have in recent years. 

Lloyd at #2 wow.   I like him a lot not sure at #2 but I haven't watched some of the upper prospects yet at edge or O line.  You got some of the TE rankings wrong but I'll fix that when I do mine.  :ols:

I was meaning to watch Crum at Qb. I've seen him linked to this team forgetting where I saw it.

Impressive work.  I don't think I'll be ready until closer to the draft, i got a lot of guys to watch still.  Some for the sake of time i am going to have to speed it up and just watch one game. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@KDawg really going to town on some of my which i thought at the time I touted them more off the radar in terms of hype loves at WR and TE and RB.  Thorton, Gray, C. Austin, Kolar, Haskins, Z. White.  So of course I'll embrace those.   All of whom I'll put in my list of my guys if we do that list before the draft like we have in recent years. 

Lloyd at #2 wow.   I like him a lot not sure at #2 but I haven't watched some of the upper prospects yet at edge or O line.  You got some of the TE rankings wrong but I'll fix that when I do mine.  :ols:

I was meaning to watch Crum at Qb. I've seen him linked to this team forgetting where I saw it.

Impressive work.  I don't think I'll be ready until closer to the draft, i got a lot of guys to watch still.  Some for the sake of time i am going to have to speed it up and just watch one game. 

I just started deep diving like last week so a lot of these guys I hadn't watched. Gray is fun. Reminds me of a bigger James Proche and I loved him coming out. Proche with size is a scary thought. 

I think Devin Lloyd is legitimately the best playmaker in the draft. Period. No one is better in my eyes. Hutch is the most overall sound player who can also make plays. 

The tight ends all started to meld together when watching them. Wydermyer is still the guy I think has the highest upside but... dude has to pull it together. Really boring class, imo. 

Dustin Crum is the guy I'd like in the back of the draft if we're taking a QB. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I like EB, but he strikes me as a guy that they'd intentionally leak false info to in order to throw up a smokescreen since he's so eager to spread a rumor.  I mean, that's a lot of Spy vs. Spy hypothetical **** right there but I can see that.

Picking at 11 is tricky.  There are guys who are probably surefire top 5 picks.  When you're at 11, I feel like you're sitting in a spot where someone's falling and you might not know why.  And then you're wondering if you can gamble, perhaps trade back and pick a player you could take at 11 right then and there.  

IMO, I'm a fan of trading down and hoarding picks as best as you can unless you're somewhere in the top 5 and there's a player you can't live without.  I hope that's what they end up doing.

I disagree. I think there is fire to the smoke. Keim has also expressed they have interest in trading down.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I just started deep diving like last week so a lot of these guys I hadn't watched. Gray is fun. Reminds me of a bigger James Proche and I loved him coming out. Proche with size is a scary thought. 

Gray when I watched him, i was impressed with his physicality, especially for speedy receiver like him.  Raw as far as route tree but he's definitely a player you can mold if he has good intangibles.  Ditto Thorton.

I think Devin Lloyd is legitimately the best playmaker in the draft. Period. No one is better in my eyes. Hutch is the most overall sound player who can also make plays. 

Love Lloyd.  Hutchinson I haven't studied but he jumped out big time in the Michigan games i watched, game wrecker.

The tight ends all started to meld together when watching them. Wydermyer is still the guy I think has the highest upside but... dude has to pull it together. Really boring class, imo. 

Tight ends are tough in this draft to seperate.  Ditto RBs.  i am getting there at least in my own mind on both spots.  As for I. Likely his build sorts of bugs me, has the build of a WR.  He caught a bunch of balls and in theory he's perfect to be an F type TE.  But that 4.8 speed really bugs me for an F type TE coupled with his build.  It gives me flashes to Harrison Bryant who hasn't been much in the NFL.   But who knows?

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Gray when I watched him, i was impressed with his physicality, especially for speedy receiver like him.  Raw as far as route tree but he's definitely a player you can mold if he has good intangibles.  Ditto Thorton.

Love Lloyd.  Hutchinson I haven't studied but he jumped out big time in the Michigan games i watched, game wrecker.

Tight ends are tough in this draft to seperate.  Ditto RBs.  i am getting there at least in my own mind on both spots.  As for I. Likely his build sorts of bugs me, has the build of a WR.  He caught a bunch of balls and in theory he's perfect to be an F type TE.  But that 4.8 speed really bugs me for an F type TE coupled with his build.  It gives me flashes to Harrison Bryant who hasn't been much in the NFL.   But who knows?

I comp Likely to Mark Andrews as a receiver (not the blocker part). Similar 40 times as well. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Penning, I just watched one game, not the best balance and hands IMO, really raw.  He's nasty, like Incognito level nasty where he shoves players for no reason.  It seems like the draft community loves that about him.  For me, I like some nastiness in O lineman but his version of it doesn't do it for me but I don't hate it either, I am neutral on over the top nastiness. 

Granted I'd need to watch more but for me on first glance 11 is a reach for Penning. 

Completely agree with this take. Some of his "nasty" is kind of acting like flash that papers over how raw he is. I only want functional nasty, not the extra stuff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Completely agree with this take. Some of his "nasty" is kind of acting like flash that papers over how raw he is. I only want functional nasty, not the extra stuff.

He and Ekwonu are very similar in that sense, imo. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Chump Bailey said:

Dustin Crum would be an interesting flyer. I like Logan Bonner, a Sam Howell clone IMO, just a hair better though he is not on anyone's radar at all apparently except my own. 

I took a look at him.

He's not better than Sam Howell. And there's not a whole lot of film to watch. I couldn't justify it on my list with what I saw... but I do think he could displace Coan if I had enough on him. I think Coan is... not good. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I comp Likely to Mark Andrews as a receiver (not the blocker part). Similar 40 times as well. 

If he was 256 pounds like Andrews, and can play Y just as much as F i'd be on board.

To me I compare him to Harrison Bryant, similar build, similar body type, similar weight. Both F TEs with "meh" speed and Likely is even slower than Bryant.  I am not obsessed with speed as far as TE's but for those that seem more one dimensional F receiver types I am looking for at least average speed. 

I could be completely wrong about him.  Just my take.  i know some mock draft types really like him.  i am a bit lower on him. 

49 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Are you really trying to compare Bruce Allen days with our current FO?

What we did then means nothing now.

I think the point is that just getting extra picks doesn't always equal value. I remember that draft and the lead up was bit like this. People were obsessed with trading back and when we did most people were over the moon and thought we were the most clever team in the NFL. Then the guys we picked with all the trade backs did nothing...which, regardless of the FO, is always a distinct possibility, especially when it's outside of the 1st round.

I'm certainly not against trading back but actually getting anything good for the extra 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick shouldn't be assumed. If there is a guy at 11 who we really like then don't get cute...just pick him. But if there isn't and we get an offer to trade back, take it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I took a look at him.

He's not better than Sam Howell. And there's not a whole lot of film to watch. I couldn't justify it on my list with what I saw... but I do think he could displace Coan if I had enough on him. I think Coan is... not good. 

I think you misread my post. Crum's not close to Howell. Logan Bonner, Utah State QB, is a Sam Howell clone IMO who I like a bit better than Dustin Crum. Coan's play in the Shrine Bowl changed my opinion of him and he is worth a late round look IMO.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sebestian said:

Todd McShay, Man, London would have fit nicely with Washington, and Ohio State receiver Chris Olave wouldn’t be out of the question. But Hamilton’s value is too strong to pass up. Let’s get the Commanders a difference-maker on the back end of the defense and worry about receiver on Day 2."

If London Is off the board I am circling back and Hamilton is the guy.  Man that would be sweat for me and for the team.  He has been my favorite player in the draft and if we select hopefully he will be pissed for dropping.

If they take Hamilton the he better be a true difference maker.  He'd better be locking down TEs and RBs coming out of the backfield and creating turnovers.  This offense needs a serious boost in weaponry and depth if Ron dreams of winning anything of measure.  

13 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I think you misread my post. Crum's not close to Howell. Logan Bonner, Utah State QB, is a Sam Howell clone IMO who I like a bit better than Dustin Crum. Coan's play in the Shrine Bowl changed my opinion of him and he is worth a late round look IMO.

I did, I read it as you thinking Bonner was better than Howell. I was going to say... I've heard a lot of egregious Howell takes but that one... You almost SoCalSkins'd me. 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If he was 256 pounds like Andrews, and can play Y just as much as F i'd be on board.

To me I compare him to Harrison Bryant, similar build, similar body type, similar weight. Both F TEs with "meh" speed and Likely is even slower than Bryant.  I am not obsessed with speed as far as TE's but for those that seem more one dimensional F receiver types I am looking for at least average speed. 

I could be completely wrong about him.  Just my take.  i know some mock draft types really like him.  i am a bit lower on him. 

I mean strictly as a receiver and the way they move in that comp. Harrison Bryant is a good size comp for him. 

Likely doesn't play like Andrews. Just meant strictly his receiving skillset. 

But yeah, Andrews is as good as he is because of his Y ability. Can play H, F. Can block. Catch.

Likely is FAR from Andrews as a whole. 

I have 2 TEs in my top 100. 

If a Sun Dial couldn't beat Wydermyer in a 40 he'd be there, too. But otherwise the whole class is pretty meh. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Do we have any further Intel on what the deal is with Wydermeyer? Is he as bad athletically as he tested?

11 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think the point is that just getting extra picks doesn't always equal value. I remember that draft and the lead up was bit like this. People were obsessed with trading back and when we did most people were over the moon and thought we were the most clever team in the NFL. Then the guys we picked with all the trade backs did nothing...which, regardless of the FO, is always a distinct possibility, especially when it's outside of the 1st round.

I'm certainly not against trading back but actually getting anything good for the extra 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick shouldn't be assumed. If there is a guy at 11 who we really like then don't get cute...just pick him. But if there isn't and we get an offer to trade back, take it.

I am in favor of trading down in this draft if they are indeed have some players graded in a similar way later in the first versus what they have earlier in the draft.  As we know not all drafts are equal.  In theory, I am cool with trading down.  But I get the opposition to the idea, too.

Trading down for the most part hasn't been our friend with the benefit of time to see how things evolved.  A lot of out trade backs at the time felt great but didn't play out that way. 

Not taking Watt and instead getting both Kerrigan and J. Jenkins.   Trading down with Seattle so we can get Jamison Crowder and change so the Seahawks can get pro bowler Tyler Lockett.  The famous Cerrato draft where they traded down, out of the first, so they can get M. Kelley, D. Thomas and Fred Davis.

Trading with Dallas of all teams so we got Trent Murphy AND Spencer Long so they can get Demarcus Lawrence. 

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/remembering-the-washington-commanders-2014-nfl-draft-trade-carson-wentz-2022-nfl-draft/

Let’s review that one move that still haunts Washington to this day.

Round 2 (34 overall) Demarcus Lawrence

USATSI_17347022.jpg

Washington Football Team quarterback Taylor Heinicke (4) passes the ball under pressure from Dallas Cowboys defensive end Demarcus Lawrence (90). Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

That’s right, Washington fans. Bruce Allen had the No. 34 selection and traded down with his most-hated rival, the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas knew who it wanted, and Washington didn’t see the fierce pass rusher and athlete that Demarcus Lawrence was, and he was sitting there for them to choose.

All that Lawrence (2-Time Pro Bowler) has done in his 85 starts is make 100 QB hits, 74 tackles for a loss, 206 solo tackles, 115 assists, 48.5 sacks, 17 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions, including a 40-yard touchdown return in the 2021 win at Dallas over Washington.

Round 2 (47 overall) Trent Murphy

usatsi_8143488.jpg

Washington Redskins linebacker Trent Murphy (93). Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Moving down from No. 34 to No. 47 Washington selected their own future pass rusher, Trent Murphy. How about that? They wanted a pass rusher, could have taken Demarcus Lawrence, but traded down 13 spots and took Trent Murphy.

Murphy in his three seasons in Washington collected 42 QB hits, 16 tackles for a loss, 64 solo tackles, 48 assists, 15 sacks and 6 forced fumbles.

Murphy was then suspended by the NFL for four games (PED), injured and did not play for Washington in 2017, before moving on to Buffalo for three less-impressive years (2018-20). Murphy was not signed by any club for 2021.

Round 3 (78 overall) Spencer Long

gettyimages-615034460.jpg

Quarterback Kirk Cousins #8 of the Washington Redskins passes the ball while teammate center Spencer Long #61 blocks against the Philadelphia Eagles. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

Moving down from No. 34, Washington picked up No. 47 (Trent Murphy) and No. 78 selecting Nebraska guard Spencer Long.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If a Sun Dial couldn't beat Wydermyer in a 40 he'd be there, too. But otherwise the whole class is pretty meh. 

There are no killer players or even lets say Cole Kmet level players, IMO no A or even B plus players.  I think there is about 2 players give or take than are B players.  2 players who are potentially B players.  And about 6 players that I am trying to sort through in the C plus range.

I was a big Hockenson fan at the time.   Kolar in some ways remind me of him, more as a receiver than a blocker.  I think Kolar is a work in progress but likely gets there as a blocker but as a receiver IMO he has really nice potential IMO.  He's not killer IMO but I can see him as a really nice well rounded TE in this league over time.  

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

There are no killer players or even lets say Cole Kmet level players, IMO no A or even B plus players.  I think there is about 2 players give or take than are B players.  2 players who are potentially B players.  And about 6 players that I am trying to sort through in the C plus range.

I was a big Hockenson fan at the time.   Kolar in some ways remind me of him, more as a receiver than a blocker.  I think Kolar is a work in progress but likely gets there as a blocker but as a receiver IMO he has really nice potential IMO.  He's not killer IMO but I can see him as a really nice well rounded TE in this league over time.  

Agreed.

I actually think I'd have John Bates as TE2 or 3 in this class.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am in favor of trading down in this draft if they are indeed have some players graded in a similar way later in the first versus what they have earlier in the draft.  As we know not all drafts are equal.  In theory, I am cool with trading down.  But I get the opposition to the idea, too.

Trading down for the most part hasn't been our friend with the benefit of time to see how things evolved.  A lot of out trade backs at the time felt great but didn't play out that way. 

Not taking Watt and instead getting both Kerrigan and J. Jenkins.   Trading down with Seattle so we can get Jamison Crowder and change so the Seahawks can get pro bowler Tyler Lockett.  The famous Cerrato draft where they traded down, out of the first, so they can get M. Kelley, D. Thomas and Fred Davis.

Trading with Dallas of all teams so we got Trent Murphy AND Spencer Long so they can get Demarcus Lawrence. 

Yeah I'm not opposed to the idea of trading back, but I don't want to do it just for the sake of doing it or out of panic because we feel like we need to fill more holes.

If we're at 11 and we don't have a guy who we really like and have a top grade on, and have a few guys who we're pretty sure will be there when we pick after trading back, then by all means do it (of course that's if there's an offer on the table, which is another thing I think some people seem to be assuming, but is far from a certainty).

But if we're at 11 and a guy we love is there then just take him and don't try to be clever, which is what I think has come back to bite us in the past. IMO that's how we ended up with the trades in your examples. Kerrigan instead of Watt, Murphy instead of Lawrence etc etc.

• Thumb up 1