Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

11 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Memories of Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, and Josh Doctson make me very nervous about taking a WR with #11.  Art Monk is the only guy that comes to mind as being a successful WR that we've gotten in round 1 (and IIRC he was actually a RB at Syracuse.)  Man, if Lloyd, Sauce, Hamilton, Cross, or Stingley is there at #11, I'd feel better with any of those over a WR, except maybe London - and I'm not even sure about him over the guys I listed.  It seems likely to me that a WR that is pretty much as good as the guys available at #11 there at $47.  Pickens?  Watson?  Maybe even Williams if teams are worried about his injury.

Previous drafts have zero impact on present/future ones. Nobody in our organization who's responsible for drafting now was even around when Doctson was drafted let alone Howard/Westbrook.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Previous drafts have zero impact on present/future ones. Nobody in our organization who's responsible for drafting now was even around when Doctson was drafted let alone Howard/Westbrook.

A lesson in life there. Stop living in the past, or you’ll never get over it.

I didn’t stop dating women because my first 5 relationships didn’t work out.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I haven’t read those details before. Source?

None. Just speculation other people have come out with. Nothing from a medical source. 

But they are saying out until mid season. Is it true? I don’t know. If it’s not and the team hears otherwise I’m much more on board. Not on board at all, though, with taking him if he isn’t ready until near the end of the year. Our first pick has to contribute this year.

Just now, KDawg said:

None. Just speculation other people have come out with. Nothing from a medical source. 

But they are saying out until mid season. Is it true? I don’t know. If it’s not and the team hears otherwise I’m much more on board. Not on board at all, though, with taking him if he isn’t ready until near the end of the year. Our first pick has to contribute this year.

Id like it less if he has to miss the year.

But I don’t think he has to contribute this year. Jamin didn’t last year. And Ron thinks all this team needs is a vet QB.

• Like 1

Consensus seems to be that the Vikings most likely pick at 12 is a CB (probably Stingley). What other teams also need a CB that would be willing to trade up in front of them with the Commanders? That's the most likely scenario.

RB's who can pass block get on the field sooner. None of the top 5 backs in this draft have much experience with it. That could delay their playing time this season.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I would be fine with Williams on a mild trade down. Commanders would be drafting him to contribute for 10+ seasons. Missing a handful of games in his first season should not be a deal breaker.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

I would be fine with Williams on a mild trade down. Commanders would be drafting him to contribute for 10+ seasons. Missing a handful of games in his first season should not be a deal breaker.

I disagree. Well, if it’s truly a handful I’d be okay (I still rate him below London). But if it’s more than half the season it’s a waste. The goal is to get weapons for Wentz. Now. So we can give him the chance to succeed. Drafting a dude who can’t play this year puts us in a really weird position next year: Can he play despite the ACL? Do we have McLaurin back? 

More questions than answers. 

The guy we draft at 11 needs to contribute. If we trade back (as long as we don’t pass on London) and get him… okay I suppose. As long as we also get Kenneth Walker or Breece Hall.

im all set with Gibson as the feature back. I was before last year. 

Rivera may not be on a hot seat but do the math. We clearly struggled to bring in FAs. One of the biggest reasons aside from bad ownership and awful facilities is that we aren’t a winner. We need contributors this year to help Wentz ASAP. 

Having said all of that… if Wentz falters and we stink then we get a shiny QB in the first next year and have Williams to fall back on.

I love the player to be clear and can see some advantages to drafting him. But I don’t know how much it helps us attract FA next year or even retain our own. That is my concern and why I believe our first has to hit.

I’d rather reach for Walker than draft him IF he is going to be out most of the year or ineffective. IF.

Edited by KDawg
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Of course, but I can't help feeling nervous about it, given the experiences of the past.

2 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Of course, but I can't help feeling nervous about it, given the experiences of the past.

With that logic, though, there’s reason to be trepidatious about every single position. We’ve blown it on many of them.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If Wilson or London fall to 11 I wonder if the Packers would offer 22 and 28 to move up to get one of them. There are rumors circulating that they're trying to make a big trade.

I'd take that deal because I think there is a chance that Lloyd and Linderbaum would still be available at those two slots.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I have zero interest in the corners. I’d easily pass on them. If London is gone and Wilson is gone that is when I’d start to consider a trade back. If Lloyd is there I have think hard. But if either of those two receivers are on the board I’m not tempting fate.

This draft needs to be either an impact offensive player or the best D player in the draft. I don’t have Gardner or Stingley as that guy. 

I don’t see what everyone sees in Watson. He seemed to drop more passes than anyone would want to see and had no route variability. He relied on out athleting less athletic guys.

In the third or late second I could understand.

I’m kind of with you on Watson.  The drops are bad enough, but hearing comments about him seeming to have trouble with ball tracking, when the downfield stuff is a big component of his game… that’s concerning.  To be fair to him, with that size/speed combo, if he can get his route running down, he could be really dangerous.  Not sure I like him for us as I think he’ll take a while to develop (assuming he does).

Anyone else notice that the Bills are the only good team that gave out a 25-30 million AAV contract to a receiver?  And they haven't been good for that long.  That is insane money to spend on a position where even the very best guys in the league only make a big difference 10 snaps a game.

Honestly feels like we might be a step behind the two smartest teams in the NFL in GB and KC if we get into a situation where we have to pay Terry 25 million per year, especially since he's not the same caliber as Adams and Hill and Diggs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Anyone else notice that the Bills are the only good team that gave out a 25-30 million AAV contract to a receiver?  And they haven't been good for that long.  That is insane money to spend on a position where even the very best guys in the league only make a big difference 10 snaps a game.

Honestly feels like we might be a step behind the two smartest teams in the NFL in GB and KC if we get into a situation where we have to pay Terry 25 million per year, especially since he's not the same caliber as Adams and Hill and Diggs.

The league is shifting now. WR is actually really important. Look at the last couple Super Bowl champs. Rams were loaded at WR even with the Woods injury. Ditto the Bucs. The Bengals had two really good ones and still drafted Chase. And people are gonna recognize how good the Broncos WR corps is now that they have Wilson(they're basically four deep at that spot). You need at least 3 difference makers at that position and the real game breakers are gonna cost a lot.

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Hot take:  Green Bay and KC have not made the playoffs since they let go of their receivers.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Consensus seems to be that the Vikings most likely pick at 12 is a CB (probably Stingley). What other teams also need a CB that would be willing to trade up in front of them with the Commanders? That's the most likely scenario.

RB's who can pass block get on the field sooner. None of the top 5 backs in this draft have much experience with it. That could delay their playing time this season.

Ravens at 14 are in the market for a CB. They also draft/develop CBs better than anyone so if they see someone with talent, they might wanna go up and get it. They also have quite a few mid round picks so they have the ammo to trade up. They're the ideal trade partner.

I don't think Sauce drops past 10. From what I'm hearing the Jets love him, might even take him at 4(but I can't imagine them passing on Thibodeaux if he's there). If they land Thibs and Gardner at 10 they'll have hit a grand slam.

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Didn't he tear his ACL in January? That would mean ~9 month recovery so best case he returns in October.

I just don't think WE'RE the type of team that can rehabilitate him fully. Remember how badly we botched Curtis Samuel? And that was just a groin. If we draft Williams we'll probably start like 1-3 and Ron will start him out of desperation and he'll rupture an achilles and that'll be the end of his career.

4 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Hey, the rates go up and will continue to go up until compromise is made.  Terry M. didn't price himself out of the WR market other players and owners who were willing to pay make the cost that much higher.  Terry had 2 almost 3 1,000 receiving yards in the full 3 years he's been here, been durable, best O player on team.  He deserves to get paid.  The number continues to climb and will climb until the owners come together and put a cap on stipulations in place (i.e., number of yards, games played, receptions, etc.) for all positions or this will continue to happen.  There is no control over it and the NFLPA knows it as well as the owners.  It's a problem.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The counter argument is that Terry means more to this team than those players to their teams from a leadership perspective. Also, with the cap going up and Terry still never playing with an above average QB, he could very well end up in the Diggs/Adams tier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

Consensus seems to be that the Vikings most likely pick at 12 is a CB (probably Stingley). What other teams also need a CB that would be willing to trade up in front of them with the Commanders?

Based on todays news, I'm willing to bet that Pitt is feeling desperate for a QB. I could envision them not being willing to wait and hope that Willis/Corral is still on the board at their pick.. I'm expecting them to move and 11 is a prime spot.

9 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Based on todays news, I'm willing to bet that Pitt is feeling desperate for a QB. I could envision them not being willing to wait and hope that Willis/Corral is still on the board at their pick.. I'm expecting them to move and 11 is a prime spot.

I doubt them losing Haskins is going to send them into a panic. Todays news probably just saves them money and opens a back end roster spot.

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ravens at 14 are in the market for a CB. They also draft/develop CBs better than anyone so if they see someone with talent, they might wanna go up and get it. They also have quite a few mid round picks so they have the ammo to trade up. They're the ideal trade partner.

I don't think Sauce drops past 10. From what I'm hearing the Jets love him, might even take him at 4(but I can't imagine them passing on Thibodeaux if he's there). If they land Thibs and Gardner at 10 they'll have hit a grand slam.

Didn't he tear his ACL in January? That would mean ~9 month recovery so best case he returns in October.

I just don't think WE'RE the type of team that can rehabilitate him fully. Remember how badly we botched Curtis Samuel? And that was just a groin. If we draft Williams we'll probably start like 1-3 and Ron will start him out of desperation and he'll rupture an achilles and that'll be the end of his career.

Yes. Which means no reps until October.

57 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Inclined to agree, 25mil per year is an absurd outlay. I’d like Terry back, I’m also very open minded to a pre draft trade. Got to be a significant haul though.

Chance are we ‘overpay’ him and reach for Olave. 

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't really like the second and third round depth of the class and don't see many early starters coming out of those rounds.  My second round strategy would be to go receiver since it's one of the only positions where there is good depth in that range, or move up to make sure I get Kenneth Walker.

I think 4th is a good spot for developmental OLs to put in the pipeline, and that's what the team seemed to target with their player visits.  And I think the sixth will be a sneaky good tight end round since there is day three depth at that position

I think 2nd/3rd is actually lined up nicely for safety and and LB also. WR in R1 and LB or safety in rd 2 could be great for us. RB if one of the top 2 fall. I don’t see that happening though. 

40 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think 2nd/3rd is actually lined up nicely for safety and and LB also. WR in R1 and LB or safety in rd 2 could be great for us. RB if one of the top 2 fall. I don’t see that happening though. 

I agree that we could address WR, LB, RB and DB before day 2 is out. Problem is we only have 11 and 47. Need more picks.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 4/8/2022 at 4:36 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

F.  Mentioned again they like Brisker

Just been watching some Brisker and thought of this, watch the Pukes draft him.

I’m really struggling to justify staying at pick 11 in our circumstances unless come draft night a consensus top 5 prospect falls that far.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Number 44 said:

Memories of Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, and Josh Doctson make me very nervous about taking a WR with #11.  Art Monk is the only guy that comes to mind as being a successful WR that we've gotten in round 1 (and IIRC he was actually a RB at Syracuse.)  Man, if Lloyd, Sauce, Hamilton, Cross, or Stingley is there at #11, I'd feel better with any of those over a WR, except maybe London - and I'm not even sure about him over the guys I listed.  It seems likely to me that a WR that is pretty much as good as the guys available at #11 there at $47.  Pickens?  Watson?  Maybe even Williams if teams are worried about his injury.

I wouldn't lump Westbrook with the other 2.  He had crappy Gus throwing him the ball the majority of the time.  When he had decent QB play, he was solid.  Wasn't worth the #4 pick, but he was clearly an NFL caliber starting WR that would have been much more if Gus wasn't so inaccurate.  Notice how he immediately popped when Green came in 1998 and Brad came in 1999.

• Like 1