Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

2nd round is where the WRs, LBers, Safeties and RBs all come from.

Funny how you also listed all of our team needs....

Not to mention the players at those positions this year are better than last year's in the 2nd.

BRB. Penning a letter to Dan to force Ron and Marty to trade down to make up for forcing Haskins.

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Funny how you also listed all of our team needs....

Not to mention the players at those positions this year are better than last year's in the 2nd.

BRB. Penning a letter to Dan to force Ron and Marty to trade down to make up for forcing Haskins.

Judging by our 30's we are looking to trade back. Just need a partner and I think we pull the trigger. I'd love top have multiple picks in the 25-40 range.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My ideal strategy ebbs and flows but right now, in order of guys I want for us:

Drake London

Garrett Wilson

Kenneth Walker (not sure I’d take him over Olave due to positional value)

Small Trade - Olave

Calvin Austin III

Breece Hall

Devin Lloyd (would take him over everyone but the top two but don’t want him as much as offensive guys… even though he’s an insane talent)

Kyle Hamilton (would take him after Lloyd)

Ty Fryfogle

I probably left a few guys off but this is the gist of it for now.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hyped up Kenneth Walker during the college season here among others, but I haven't rewatched him until now.  I started to dive into Breece Hall too but at least for game one, Hall didn't move the needle for me the way Walker does but I'd love to have him, too.   I did like a lot what I saw with Hall but wasn't wowed to the same extent like I was with Walker.

I get some say the advantage with Hall is his pass catching ability and Walker brings nothing to the pass game.  As I mentioned a few days ago, I heard in a podcast Michigan State coaches talk up that Walker catches the ball well in practice but they simply don't throw the ball to the backs much in games.

For those concerned about Walker on that front, rewatch the game against Michigan.  He caught a bunch of balls, I don't recall a miss.  They lined him up outside on some plays.  Wildcat on one play.  Only concern I got about him in the passing game is his pass blocking is "meh".  A willing blocker but he comes off like he doesn't always love contact on that front.  But I think he's passable enough on that front, that its OK.

And for the critics who say is Walker really a "today" RB because he doesn't have the pass catching stats.  To me, today's NFL is mainly about making big plays.  Chunk plays.  And Kenneth Walker is a big time home run hitter.  30 -- 15 yard plus runs.  I thought the run blocking he good was fine but nothing special, he wasn't running behind big time O lines tradtionally like Iowa or Wisconsin.  He can create without having monster holes to lead the way.

What I love about him is how eclectic he is as a runner.  He's IMO both good at power and zone. Inside or outside.  Fast and elusive.  Strong and violent too.   He can do it all.  His vision looks sick.  He sees cut back lanes -- a play could look dead but he makes something out of it.  If he finds a crease, he's gone.  If he needs to Peyton Barber grind a yard or two when there is nothing there, he can do that too.   Nice spin move.  Great contact balance.

I wish he was an inch taller, was a better pass blocker but outside of that IMO he's a RB built in a lab.  Too bad we swaped those 2nd rounders with Indy.  It could come back and be a sneaky problem in the draft.  It reminds me of the year I loved Dalvin Cook (and found out later that the team loved him too) but he went before our pick and we ended up with Ryan Anderson in the 2nd.  Hopefully a similar fate doesn't happen this time.  Not that I am married to Walker but I'd take him in a flash if he fell to 47.  Heck I'd take him if we were picking 33. 

Walker would  be a nice complement to the style of play we get from Gibson and JDMK. We need someone that can run between the tackles and the pass game not needing to be as much of an emphasis. He is absolutely my #1 RB and IMO the player that could make the most impact this offense

32 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

2nd round is where the WRs, LBers, Safeties and RBs all come from.

Yeah the heart of this draft is really the late 1st to early 3rd. You could add in a couple other needs like QB2 and TE although I think the best part of the TE's is going to be the 3rd and 4th.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Are you talking about two different Walkers? A few posts above you blast him. Now you say he’s a great talent. Absolutely must be talking about a different guy. Were you talking about Rasheed above?

Yeah, and I have also talked about Rasheed Walker too.  I am high on Kenneth, low on Travon, and roughly agree with the consensus on Rasheed.  For me Kenneth = top 25 player, Travon = somewhere 30-40, and Rasheed is maybe just outside the top 100 as a likely 4th rounder.

• Thanks 1

I think the best value in the first half of the draft will actually come in the teens.  IMO, multiple top five players will go in the teens because because of factors like disappointing 40s or bad interviews and most play positions with very low position value.

I don't really like the second and third round depth of the class and don't see many early starters coming out of those rounds.  My second round strategy would be to go receiver since it's one of the only positions where there is good depth in that range, or move up to make sure I get Kenneth Walker.

I think 4th is a good spot for developmental OLs to put in the pipeline, and that's what the team seemed to target with their player visits.  And I think the sixth will be a sneaky good tight end round since there is day three depth at that position.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If Wilson or London fall to 11 I wonder if the Packers would offer 22 and 28 to move up to get one of them. There are rumors circulating that they're trying to make a big trade.

I wouldn’t give 11 up if either are there.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn’t give 11 up if either are there.

Yeah I wouldn't pass on Wilson. I'm not as high on London as others.

I'm thinking if we could trade down twice and stay in the teens. Once with the Ravens. Then maybe again from 14 to 17 with the Chargers. Ravens might wanna move up for Stingley or Gardner(although I'd be hard pressed to pass on Gardner). Then the Chargers might wanna leapfrog the Eagles and Saints for Jordan Davis or an OT like Cross or Penning.

• Thumb up 1

History of draft trades made by Mayhew and Hurney.  You make the call good or bad.  Not to impressed myself but IF they listen to our scouts and our scouts are competent to evaluate talent, then maybe it works.  We shall see.  As mentioned, we have a lot more needs than draft picks and I just can't see us not trading down in at least the 1st and maybe 2nd rounds.  Yes, we lose out on better talent but that's where your scouting department comes into play and we see how good they along with the input that Mayhew and Hurney give to RR and who he ultimately selects.

A history of Detroit Lions trades under Martin Mayhew - mlive.com

Panthers GM Marty Hurney: Reviewing every draft pick he has made (usatoday.com)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If Wilson or London fall to 11 I wonder if the Packers would offer 22 and 28 to move up to get one of them. There are rumors circulating that they're trying to make a big trade.

I hear what you're saying, but it seems to me that Green Bay probably sees us as a team that may be competition for drafting one of those guys.  I think it would be more likely for them to try to work a trade with a team drafting in front of us to get one of those guys if that is their aim.  That just seems more realistic to me than for the Packers to hope they can work a deal with us.

Funnily enough I just watched Chris Simms WR rankings and they line up with how I feel about the Ohio State guys not being worth pick 11. He also sees what I see in Alec Pierce. Dude is gonna be a steal

WR

1. Jameson Williams

2. Christian Watson

3. Alec Pierce

4. Treylon Burks

5. Drake London

RB rankings

1. Kenneth Walker

2. Breece Hall

3. Damian Pierce

Edited by Forever A Redskin
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I wouldn't pass on Wilson. I'm not as high on London as others.

I'm thinking if we could trade down twice and stay in the teens. Once with the Ravens. Then maybe again from 14 to 17 with the Chargers. Ravens might wanna move up for Stingley or Gardner(although I'd be hard pressed to pass on Gardner). Then the Chargers might wanna leapfrog the Eagles and Saints for Jordan Davis or an OT like Cross or Penning.

I have zero interest in the corners. I’d easily pass on them. If London is gone and Wilson is gone that is when I’d start to consider a trade back. If Lloyd is there I have think hard. But if either of those two receivers are on the board I’m not tempting fate.

This draft needs to be either an impact offensive player or the best D player in the draft. I don’t have Gardner or Stingley as that guy. 

2 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Funnily enough I just watched Chris Simms WR rankings and they line up with how I feel about the Ohio State guys not being worth a 1st. He also sees what I see in Alec Pierce. Dude is gonna be a steal

WR

1. Jameson Williams

2. Christian Watson

3. Alec Pierce

4. Treylon Burks

5. Drake London

RB rankings

1. Kenneth Walker

2. Breece Hall

3. Damian Pierce

I don’t see what everyone sees in Watson. He seemed to drop more passes than anyone would want to see and had no route variability. He relied on out athleting less athletic guys.

In the third or late second I could understand.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Really hope the Lions offer us 32 and 34 and a 3rd for 11 overall and we can really stack our team with players.

Kenneth Walker/Hall at RB | Pickens/Watson/Pierce - WR | Muma/Andersen/Chenal - LB | Pitre/Brisker - Buffalo

We could just sit back and let the BPA at position of need that falls and address our many problems on this team as opposed to only one with Olave. I've never seen a draft more perfect for a trade down. Usually the drop off is extremely steep, but not this year. And the strength of this draft aligns with our needs. 

Calling it now. We will regret it staying at 11 after we see the amount of starters and pro bowlers that come out of the 2nd/3rd round this year. 

Is Detroit just one or two players away?  It takes two to tango, as they say, and a trade scenario has to make logical sense for both teams to come to fruition.  I'm not very familiar with the Lions, but I know they were bad last year.  I'm guessing that they may prefer to keep the 3 picks you're talking about than go after #11.  I don't think the Commanders would regret not making a trade that wasn't really there to begin with.  Hey, if the Lions feel that the guy they would get at #11 is the missing piece they need to win the division, great!   I just have my doubts, though.

• Like 1

So it basically comes down to, if you like staying put at 11, you're fine with coming away with a WR2 at best, 6-800 yard receiver with a 1st rounder, and one other chance for a difference maker player with our 2nd rounder.

With the depth of this draft, a trade down could net us 4 impact players easily.

A draft of Watson and Kenneth Walker and A LB/Buffalo Nick sounds a whole lot better than Olave and having to plug the other positions with post-draft veteran FAs

• Like 1

Just now, Forever A Redskin said:

So it basically comes down to, if you like staying put at 11, you're fine with coming away with a WR2 at best, 6-800 yard receiver with a 1st rounder, and one other chance for a difference maker player with our 2nd rounder.

With the depth of this draft, a trade down could net us 4 impact players easily.

A draft of Watson and Kenneth Walker and A LB/Buffalo Nick sounds a whole lot better than Olave and having to plug the other positions with post-draft veteran FAs

Hard to say we get WR2 at best when we don’t see the board.

And I don’t think Watson is anything special.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Number 44 said:

Is Detroit just one or two players away?  It takes two to tango, as they say, and a trade scenario has to make logical sense for both teams to come to fruition.  I'm not very familiar with the Lions, but I know they were bad last year.  I'm guessing that they may prefer to keep the 3 picks you're talking about than go after #11.  I don't think the Commanders would regret not making a trade that wasn't really there to begin with.  Hey, if the Lions feel that the guy they would get at #11 is the missing piece they need to win the division, great!   I just have my doubts, though.

Didn't say it was likely but anything can happen if the right team falls in love with a player. They very well could like Willis or Pickett if they fall to us.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hyped up Kenneth Walker during the college season here among others, but I haven't rewatched him until now.  I started to dive into Breece Hall too but at least for game one, Hall didn't move the needle for me the way Walker does but I'd love to have him, too.   I did like a lot what I saw with Hall but wasn't wowed to the same extent like I was with Walker.

I get some say the advantage with Hall is his pass catching ability and Walker brings nothing to the pass game.  As I mentioned a few days ago, I heard in a podcast Michigan State coaches talk up that Walker catches the ball well in practice but they simply don't throw the ball to the backs much in games.

For those concerned about Walker on that front, rewatch the game against Michigan.  He caught a bunch of balls, I don't recall a miss.  They lined him up outside on some plays.  Wildcat on one play.  Only concern I got about him in the passing game is his pass blocking is "meh".  A willing blocker but he comes off like he doesn't always love contact on that front.  But I think he's passable enough on that front, that its OK.

And for the critics who say is Walker really a "today" RB because he doesn't have the pass catching stats.  To me, today's NFL is mainly about making big plays.  Chunk plays.  And Kenneth Walker is a big time home run hitter.  30 -- 15 yard plus runs.  I thought the run blocking he good was fine but nothing special, he wasn't running behind big time O lines tradtionally like Iowa or Wisconsin.  He can create without having monster holes to lead the way.

What I love about him is how eclectic he is as a runner.  He's IMO both good at power and zone. Inside or outside.  Fast and elusive.  Strong and violent too.   He can do it all.  His vision looks sick.  He sees cut back lanes -- a play could look dead but he makes something out of it.  If he finds a crease, he's gone.  If he needs to Peyton Barber grind a yard or two when there is nothing there, he can do that too.   Nice spin move.  Great contact balance.

I wish he was an inch taller, was a better pass blocker but outside of that IMO he's a RB built in a lab.  Too bad we swaped those 2nd rounders with Indy.  It could come back and be a sneaky problem in the draft.  It reminds me of the year I loved Dalvin Cook (and found out later that the team loved him too) but he went before our pick and we ended up with Ryan Anderson in the 2nd.  Hopefully a similar fate doesn't happen this time.  Not that I am married to Walker but I'd take him in a flash if he fell to 47.  Heck I'd take him if we were picking 33. 

I've pretty much had Walkers as my 2nd round pick this whole offers. With 17 games and I don't want to have to depend on Gibson staying healthy for 17 games plus Walker would be our #1 and that would make Gibson the best #2  in the league. I'm torn in the 1st because man I love Burks highlights over everyone else everyone Williams.  So I have my WRs 1. Williams 2. Burks 3. London 4. Wilson 5. Olave. So with my rankings of like to trade down in the 1st then pick WR. I'd be rossi fine waiting half a season for Williams. He's the for sure WR that will be a solid #1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forever A Redskin said:

I pretty much agree with you in theory but we differ on players.  We have more needs than picks.  I think it's imperative that we trade down big in the 1st and possibly in the 2nd and with good scouting and decisions made by Mayhew/Hurney and final person making the selection, RR we have a better chance than withe the current seletions we have now.  

It seems like WR is the consensus.

I think they should draft Jameson Williams. I’d be willing to be patient and have him miss a few games… and then be a available when the team is ready to make a run later in the season. 

I haven’t heard anything that suggests he’s behind in his rehab or has poor prognosis.

Get the difference maker. Don’t settle.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

I think they should draft Jameson Williams. I’d be willing to be patient and have him miss a few games… and then be a available when the team is ready to make a run later in the season. 

I haven’t heard anything that suggests he’s behind in his rehab or has poor prognosis.

I agree 100%. Maybe Brown and Samuel's steps up and then with Terry and Williams we would go from one of the worst WR core to maybe the best.  Terry and Williams would be an amassing 1/2. 

Memories of Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, and Josh Doctson make me very nervous about taking a WR with #11.  Art Monk is the only guy that comes to mind as being a successful WR that we've gotten in round 1 (and IIRC he was actually a RB at Syracuse.)  Man, if Lloyd, Sauce, Hamilton, Cross, or Stingley is there at #11, I'd feel better with any of those over a WR, except maybe London - and I'm not even sure about him over the guys I listed.  It seems likely to me that a WR that is pretty much as good as the guys available at #11 there at $47.  Pickens?  Watson?  Maybe even Williams if teams are worried about his injury.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

He may not play at all this year. If he’s ready week 8 he still hasn’t practiced.