Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

8 hours ago, duffy said:

I'm curious if those of you who want London in the first due to his potential fit with Wentz also like the 5'8" Calvin Austin? 

He’s the receiver I want second most. While he’s not a possession guy he is a horizontal threat. Which forces teams to play zone or he will eat them alive. Which means we face less blitzes in third and medium situations.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just saw another segment this time on Path to the Draft with them talking about Olave being a really good fit here.  

I am with those that don't love the idea of Olave at 11.  I wouldn't hate it either.  But, I disagree that Olave would feel like a Jamin Davis pick.  To me that would be something like them taking Christian Watson early.   Olave to me is a high floor player but questionable upside-ceiling.  Jamin was the reverse of that.  Olave with multiple years of prodiuction, early breakout season.  Like I said in another post, Olave if anything would feel like maybe overcompensation for Jamin by doing the reverse. 

To me Olave would feel a lot like the Daron Payne pick.  Personally at the time I thought Payne could be had in a trade down.  I thought his pass rushing skills weren't that tantalizing.  Great run stuffer though with potential for upside. IMO back then Vea > Payne.   It's played out that way too in the pros.  Vea with the more upside. Vea has been the pro bowler.  I also thought M. Fitzpatrick, James > Payne.    I wasn't alone on that.   

Payne struck me as a good soild player.  And he's been that and more in the pros.  I liked Payne but hated that pick at the time.  It's grown on me for one reason -- Payne's durability.  And they couldn't get Vea, Fitzpatrick in the end anyway. 

I wonder based on what was said at the time though if they would have taken Payne over Vea.  My guess is they might have.  In a similar fashion would they take Olave over London or Wilson?  I am not sure?  Keim has hinted no but he hasn't flat out said it, so i might be reading more into it than I should.  And my gut is like the Payne pick, if they do it, Olave would be fine and better than solid.  I don't think there is a lot of bust potential with Olave.   It doesn't get me excited but I wouldn't throw something at my TV the way I did when they took Payne -- and my issue with the pick wasn't the player but I thought it was a little early and they could have gotten a better player.  I'd feel similar if they took Olave at 11.  Now if they traded down I'd have liked it a lot more.  Just like I would have if they traded down and took Payne then.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

What's your and @KDawg thoughts on this young man later in the 1st round after trading down.  Personally, I like him and think he would be terrific

Like him. Don’t love him. I like that he’s big and athletic and I do think he’s a touch underrated by the masses. He is a schematic fit. 

Id be comfortable with him in the second but a team is going to jump on him in the first I think. 

My later round gem for a big body guy is a guy that only I seem to be talking about…

Ty Fryfogle.

6-3 205 but plays a lot bigger. Will be a day 3 guy. He lacks the fast twitch ability and breakaway speed but he plays like a possession monster. He has a big catch radius. I think he can make waves in the NFL in the right situation. Thing is, though… he wouldn’t be our 2. He would be our possession guy that comes on the field when we need a guy to make a tough catch. 

But he is an EXCELLENT run blocker and could be used in virtually any situation. I suppose he could be the two due to his reliability and hands. Just don’t expect any home runs from him. Whereas with London he can hit a grand slam while also being a big bodied possession guy. 

He runs a 4.53 40, so it’s not terrible straight speed. His “speed issue” is more that he isn’t as quick twitch as the other guys. 

But I really think he has a chance to be a big time player. He is a well rounded receiver that really only struggles breaking free on the deep ball. He does everything else.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just saw another segment this time on Path to the Draft with them talking about Olave been a really good fit here.  

I am with those that don't love the idea of Olave at 11.  I wouldn't hate it either.  But, I disagree that Olave would feel like a Jamin Davis pick.  To me that would be something like them taking Christian Watson early.   Olave to me is a high floor player but questionable upside-ceiling.  Jamin was the reverse of that.  Olave with multiple years of prodiuction, early breakout season.  Like I said in another post, Olave if anything would feel like maybe overcompensation for Jamin by doing the reverse. 

To me Olave would feel a lot like the Daron Payne pick.  Personally at the time I thought Payne could be had in a trade down.  I thought his pass rushing skills weren't that tantalizing.  Great run stuffer though with potential for upside. IMO back then Vea > Payne.   It's played out that way too in the pros.  Vea with the more upside. Vea has been the pro bowler.  I also thought M. Fitzpatrick, James > Payne.    I wasn't alone on that.   

Payne struck me as a good soild player.  And he's been that and more in the pros.  I liked Payne but hated that pick at the time.  It's grown on me for one reason -- Payne's durability.  And they couldn't get Vea, Fitzpatrick in the end anyway. 

I wonder based on what was said at the time though if they would have taken Payne over Vea.  My guess is they might have.  In a similar fashion would they take Olave over London or Wilson?  I am not sure?  Keim has hinted no but he hasn't flat out said it, so i might be reading more into it than I should.  And my gut is like the Payne pick, if they do it, Olave would be fine and better than solid.  I don't think there is a lot of bust potential with Olave.   It doesn't get me excited but I wouldn't throw something at my TV the way I did when they took Payne -- and my issue with the pick wasn't the player but I thought it was a little early and they could have gotten a better player.  I'd feel similar if they took Olave at 11.  Now if they traded down I'd have liked it a lot more.  Just like I would have if they traded down and took Payne then.

Agreed completely with all of this.

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Pickens is fool's gold.  He was a very big time recruit for Georgia at a position where they had a desperate need and he had one big bowl game his freshman year that basically had Georgia fans hoping he'd live up to some great potential for the next two years and he was an absolute and continuous disappointment.  Our fan base would turn on him before the halfway point in his rookie season.  I would bet my house that Treylon Burks ends up being a far better pro than Pickens.  He was pretty much twice the player that Pickens was in college, so he's already got a big head start.  Burks is one of those country ass dudes who is low maintenance and super gritty and he's probably going to end up being the best WR from his class like Deebo Samuels and AJ Brown.  He basically is AJ Brown only a tiny bit faster, with the ability to sprint over 22 miles per hour in the open field.  Pickens is a childish prospect who never came close to living up to his potential at Georgia and I'd say he's a future bust, but I don't think he'll get drafted that high.

London is fantastic though.  He has a chance to be a great player.  I see him as being a Keenan Allen type of grinder and technician with more size and red zone-centric basketball skills.  He has the toughness and focus that Pickens lacks.  London is a peer to Burks and Pickens is not.  Pickens is like a day 3 prospect.

Agreed. Not a Pickens fan. Maturity issues is a concern and it doesn’t always show right away. But yes, the fact that Pickens was so highly recruited and then was so… pedestrian… tells me a lot about him. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis would be awesome. He has the potential to be the next young Haynesworth,  before he got paid.

I’m with you. 

And I am generally a BPA guy but I think things are SO heavily weighted to offense in the formula this year that the only two D players that makes sense for us are guys who can play the flex spot… like Lloyd and Hamilton. 

• Like 2

Coming from the guy who hyped Calvin Austin even before the combine, so I am not off that train.  But if we end up looking later in the draft for a WR.  I'll start beating the drum some more for Danny Gray who has some of that Austin style juice.

As i've mentioned, he's raw but has sick speed, same speed as Austin.  But is also sneaky physical.  Not bad as for contested catches among other things.   Not as electric as Calvin but if we skip Wr in the first two rounds, he intrigues me. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Coming from the guy who hyped Calvin Austin even before the combine, so I am not off that train.  But if we end up looking later in the draft for a WR.  I'll start beating the drum some more for Danny Gray.

As i've mentioned, he's raw but sick speed, same speed as Austin.  But is also sneaky physical.  Not bad as for contested catches among other things.   Not as electric as Calvin but if we skip Wr in the first two rounds, he intrigues me. 

Been watching Gray a bit. I like him, too. But I’m hoping we have sewn up receiver by the second round and if not I’d prefer a bigger body at the back end like Fryfogle. But I do like Gray a lot. I think the two receiver types that fit us most are the quick twitch hiccup guys and the big body possession sharks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Like him. Don’t love him. I like that he’s big and athletic and I do think he’s a touch underrated by the masses. He is a schematic fit. 

Id be comfortable with him in the second but a team is going to jump on him in the first I think. 

To me Burks is likely big slot WR.  YAC, YAC, YAC.   In the pros: underneath-weapon. On occasion downfield.  I think he can be really good if used that way.  I go back and forth on them.  First I loved him, then I backed off some, now I like hiim.   I think if a creative coach gets his hands on him, and he's the dedicated type, he will be a good NFL player. 

I noticed the anyaltics types love him if i recall Football Outsiders have some metrics that they feel judges college players well and they got him as their #1 Wr.  I am not with them on that.  But, something about him feels a bit boom or bust to me where it wouldn't surprise me if later on we hear how could people have slept on the next Deebo Samuel or conversely hearing hey who couldn't have seen him being the next N'keal Harry.

54 minutes ago, sebestian said:

2022 NFL Draft Big Board: B/R NFL Scouting Dept.'s Rankings as Draft Nears | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

I found this listing of draft eligible players very interesting.

Morning Kool.  Please, the name Haynesworth gives me cold sweets.  Have mercy.  Weekly weather update.  + 7 today as a high, your turn......

It'll be about 87 degrees and sunny. Going diving this morning with a friend and a bunch of her friends. Then brunch and beach. Gawna lime on the beach from the end of shawshank redemption for a bit, then go pick up my new sportster. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Been watching Gray a bit. I like him, too. But I’m hoping we have sewn up receiver by the second round and if not I’d prefer a bigger body at the back end like Fryfogle. But I do like Gray a lot. I think the two receiver types that fit us most are the quick twitch hiccup guys and the big body possession sharks.

Me too as for the top rounds at WR.   I am hoping London or Wilson slips.

This week even more talk about the Falcons and Jets zeroing in on WRs.   So it doesn't look good on that front.   But its lying season so maybe that's BS.   Hard for me to see the Jets passing one over.  But I think there is a shot the Falcons do if there is a surprise fall to their pick.

The more I think about it, the more I think there is like an 75% shot or so Hamilton is there at 11.  I am not among the crowd here who say, you make that pick slam dunk.   But I'd be cool with it.  If I had to guess it right now.  I am guessing its Hamilton at 11.  And if so maybe WR in the 2nd. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m with you. 

And I am generally a BPA guy but I think things are SO heavily weighted to offense in the formula this year that the only two D players that makes sense for us are guys who can play the flex spot… like Lloyd and Hamilton. 

Yeah, I doubt he's the pick, but dude shouldn't slide out of the top 5 and I'm surprised he's not getting a lot more hype. 

I'm nor much of a trade our players type of guy, but if we could get a late first or multiple day 2 picks for Sweat, then drafted Davis at 11, I'd be incredibly excited. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It'll be about 87 degrees and sunny. Going diving this morning with a friend and a bunch of her friends. Then brunch and beach. Gawna lime on the beach from the end of shawshank redemption for a bit, then go pick up my new sportster. 

Ok. now tell what your really going to do......you son of a gun....sigh, double sigh,.  

Good for you, looks beautiful.  Good for the mind

• Haha 1

It looks like the drops concern is overblown for Christian Watson. It appears it was a problem through 2019 but he was aware and worked on his hands. Steelers Depot did a deep dive on his last season and charted him for only 2 dropped passes. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/02/contextualization-of-wr-christian-watsons-2021-pass-targets-at-ndsu/

His YPC of 20+ yards is the largest in 5 years in the NCAA.

Not only is he impressive, he appears to be ascending.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sebestian said:

Ok. now tell what your really going to do......you son of a gun....sigh, double sigh,.  

Young Haynesworth was ****ing awesome fwiw. The contract we gave him was earned and not far off from what he should have gotten. He was the second coming of Reggie White, until he got paid.

2 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

It looks like the drops concern is overblown for Christian Watson. It appears it was a problem through 2019 but he was aware and worked on his hands. Steelers Depot did a deep dive on his last season and charted him for only 2 dropped passes. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/02/contextualization-of-wr-christian-watsons-2021-pass-targets-at-ndsu/

His YPC of 20+ yards is the largest in 5 years in the NCAA.

Not only is he impressive, he appears to be ascending.

Randy Moss vibes from Watson.

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Pickens is fool's gold.  He was a very big time recruit for Georgia at a position where they had a desperate need and he had one big bowl game his freshman year that basically had Georgia fans hoping he'd live up to some great potential for the next two years and he was an absolute and continuous disappointment.  Our fan base would turn on him before the halfway point in his rookie season.  I would bet my house that Treylon Burks ends up being a far better pro than Pickens.  He was pretty much twice the player that Pickens was in college, so he's already got a big head start.  Burks is one of those country ass dudes who is low maintenance and super gritty and he's probably going to end up being the best WR from his class like Deebo Samuels and AJ Brown.  He basically is AJ Brown only a tiny bit faster, with the ability to sprint over 22 miles per hour in the open field.  Pickens is a childish prospect who never came close to living up to his potential at Georgia and I'd say he's a future bust, but I don't think he'll get drafted that high.

London is fantastic though.  He has a chance to be a great player.  I see him as being a Keenan Allen type of grinder and technician with more size and red zone-centric basketball skills.  He has the toughness and focus that Pickens lacks.  London is a peer to Burks and Pickens is not.  Pickens is like a day 3 prospect.

This is great post for me. Pickens has been the most difficult guy for me to figure. That's why I asked questions about him earlier this week. Love his size and physicality but questioned his inability to separate along with the character and maturity concerns. When I read about those type concerns I often remove the player but couldn't find a ton of info on him.

When it comes to Burks I still have a hard time embracing him like you but I do like him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Young Haynesworth was ****ing awesome fwiw. The contract we gave him was earned and not far off from what he should have gotten. He was the second coming of Reggie White, until he got paid.

Randy Moss vibes from Watson.

I was thinking yesterday vibing a junior Megatron

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Boy was that the truth...until he came to Washington 

Reggie is still who I think of as the GOAT of the NFL even if he blew our team off and killed us

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Granted.  However I only remember driving to Detroit to watch us play vs Lions.  This is when the Lions won their fist game in forever after their 0-16 season.  Every other play, he was either lying on the ground or was asked to sub out.  Every other play!!!  No exaggeration.  Then after they lost I had to drive back to Toronto 4.5 hours not saying a word to my friend that I went with.  LOL

Sure feels like WR has a lot of great value options in the 20-40 range of the draft. If teams like GB and KC hold firm at their slots it will demonstrate that value. If they aggressively look to move up for a receiver then that would indicate a tangible step between the top tier prospects and the next level down. Teams aren’t going to give up a 1st and day two pick otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Boy was that the truth...until he came to Washington 

Reggie is still who I think of as the GOAT of the NFL even if he blew our team off and killed us

Best defensive player ever.....R. White or L. Taylor?  For me, its Taylor by a nose.  I guess the best would mean the most disruptive.

7 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Best defensive player ever.....R. White or L. Taylor?  For me, its Taylor by a nose.  I guess the best would mean the most disruptive.

It's Reggie and it's not close. Taylor, Smith, Derek Thomas are that top tier just below him.

6 minutes ago, sebestian said:

LT was an amazing player but it will always be Reggie for me. 

I wonder how good Reggie could have been if LT shared some of his nose candy with him

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

LT was an amazing player but it will always be Reggie for me. 

I wonder how good Reggie could have been if LT shared some of his nose candy with him

Good point.  We had to play them twice a year, both in their primes.  What a testament to Gibbs and the Hogs.

• Thanks 1